News:

Main Menu

Winter is Coming...

Started by Rhapsody, April 01, 2012, 04:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jouzinka

Quote from: Rhapsody on April 13, 2012, 12:17:12 AM
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Joffrey overheard Robert talking about what a sin it was that Bran didn't die in the fall, because his life would be hellish. Joffrey craved his "father's" attention, and did it because he thought his father would approve. The knife was Robert's, which either he gave to Joffrey as a trinket, or Joffrey took our of jis father's things.
Wow... just... wow. XD
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Rhapsody

|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Remiel

Quote from: Rhapsody on April 13, 2012, 12:17:12 AM
Joffrey overheard Robert talking about what a sin it was that Bran didn't die in the fall, because his life would be hellish. Joffrey craved his "father's" attention, and did it because he thought his father would approve. The knife was Robert's, which either he gave to Joffrey as a trinket, or Joffrey took our of jis father's things.

Huh.  I don't remember that.  At all.  What book was that revealed in?

Erato

I stopped watching after the first season. Once they killed off Khal Drogo a part of me died. I wanted to be that stallion's mount. Or maybe Rakharo's. :)

Also I no longer call it Doggie style. It's now Dothraki style!
In the game of chess the Queen protects the King.

jouzinka

Hahahahaha, yes, too bad Drogo didn't last for too long. :( Would have loved to see him in some mean business fight/battle. :-\

Sasquatch421

I liked who they got to play Khal Drogo for this, he was an awesome Conan. My selling point will always be Daenerys, I love how her character changes as the series goes on. My one curiousity is who will they get to play Brienne?

Rhapsody

Quote from: Remiel on April 13, 2012, 10:49:33 AM
Huh.  I don't remember that.  At all.  What book was that revealed in?

A Storm of Swords. When Joffrey is getting his wedding gifts.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP

jouzinka

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on April 13, 2012, 02:34:17 PMI liked who they got to play Khal Drogo for this, he was an awesome Conan. My selling point will always be Daenerys, I love how her character changes as the series goes on. My one curiousity is who will they get to play Brienne?
Curiously enough a womanly woman, despite her height.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2994386432/nm3729225

But then again, Catelyn observes quite a lot of beauty in Brienne that the lot of men around her fail to see,
because they have trouble getting over that she's a woman who got to wield a sword and, worse, she's good at it!

Rhapsody

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on April 13, 2012, 02:34:17 PM
I liked who they got to play Khal Drogo for this, he was an awesome Conan. My selling point will always be Daenerys, I love how her character changes as the series goes on. My one curiousity is who will they get to play Brienne?

Four words: Ronon Dex, Stargate: Atlantis.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP

Sasquatch421

She's a suprise to me....Then again the suprised me with the way they represented Loras Tyrell, but then again The Knight of Flowers should have been a dead giveaway huh?

Quote from: Rhapsody on April 13, 2012, 05:15:20 PM
Four words: Ronon Dex, Stargate: Atlantis.

I actually haven't seen all of Stargate: Atlantis...

jouzinka

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on April 13, 2012, 05:31:44 PM
She's a suprise to me....Then again the suprised me with the way they represented Loras Tyrell, but then again The Knight of Flowers should have been a dead giveaway huh?
It was, wasn't it? I mean... when I watched it, I was like: HUH?
Renly Baratheon and The Knight of Flowers? NO FUCKING WAAAAAAY!!!

I'm still waiting for it to be revealed in the books, though, but it's easier for me to recognize the hints, not that there are many...

Rhapsody

Quote from: jouzinka on April 13, 2012, 05:46:19 PM
It was, wasn't it? I mean... when I watched it, I was like: HUH?
Renly Baratheon and The Knight of Flowers? NO FUCKING WAAAAAAY!!!

I'm still waiting for it to be revealed in the books, though, but it's easier for me to recognize the hints, not that there are many...

Loras was called "Renly's little rose".
Renly's Kingsguard is called the Rainbow Guard.
Snide remarks about Loras sitting with Renly the night before his marriage to Margaery.
And a on-off comment to Loras by someone I forget (probably a Lannister, maybe Jaime?) that he'd stick something in a place even Renly didn't find.)
Also, Margaery was a virgin.

The hints are there, but only blatant on a re-read. Just like

Daenerys' vision of the Red Wedding months before it happened while she was going through the Houses of the Undying
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP

jouzinka

Poor Margery. She's like a bad luck charm. ;D

JDrew Spider

I just hopped on the GOT bandwagon and I love it!

A little sad Khal is gone (he was nice eye candy). Never read the books so I don't know what expect.
"Congratulations, you are no longer the most screwed over person on the planet". JD

Spider Hole
Apologies

Sasquatch421

If you ever get the chance to you should read the books, there is stuff the show misses.

Rhapsody

Quote from: JDrew Spider on April 13, 2012, 06:50:35 PM
I just hopped on the GOT bandwagon and I love it!

A little sad Khal is gone (he was nice eye candy). Never read the books so I don't know what expect.

Honestly, Drogo needed to die to catalyze Dany into becoming the person she does in subsequent books. I am not speaking of A Dance With Dragons because I'm not entirely sure who the hell that person was. It certainly wasn't the Dany of two books before.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP

jouzinka

Quote from: Rhapsody on April 13, 2012, 07:20:24 PM
Honestly, Drogo needed to die to catalyze Dany into becoming the person she does in subsequent books. I am not speaking of A Dance With Dragons because I'm not entirely sure who the hell that person was. It certainly wasn't the Dany of two books before.
I agree with this. So did Viserys. If either of them stayed alive, she would have submitted without question and walked in their shadow. Or maybe not - she did exhibit a lot of the change while both Viserys and Drogo were still alive, but their deaths surely sped everything up.

Remiel

Tonight, we finally see Brienne of Tarth:

Also, it turns out that Rhapsody was 100% correct.  Joffrey was the one who sent the assassin to kill Bran Stark, not Cersei.  From Storm of Swords:

"He (Tyrion) ought to have seen it long ago.  Jaime would never send another man to do his killing, and Cersei was too cunning to use a knife that could be traced back to her, but Joff, arrogant vicious stupid little wretch that he was...

He remembered a cold morning when he'd climbed down the steep exterior steps from Winterfell's library to find Prince Joffrey jesting with the Hound about killing wolves. Send a dog to kill a wolf, he said. Even Joffrey was not so foolish as to command Sandor Clegane to slay a son of Eddard Stark, however; the Hound would have gone to Cersei.  Instead the boy found his catspaw among the unsavory lot of freeriders, merchants, and camp followers who'd attached themselves to the king's party as they made their way north.  Some poxy lackwit willing to risk his life for a prince's favor and a little coin.  Tyrion wondered whose idea it had been to wait until Robert left Winterfell before opening Bran's throat.  Joff's, most like.  No doubt he thought it was the height of cunning."

On a completely different subject, altogether, with regards to Daenaerys--
Do we yet know who the third betrayer was? 

Rhapsody

Quote from: Remiel on April 15, 2012, 09:22:07 PM

On a completely different subject, altogether, with regards to Daenaerys--
Do we yet know who the third betrayer was? 
I was impressed with the makeup work on the actress who plays Brienne. Her name escapes me right now (Gwendolyn Christie?) but she is beautiful. Brienne is exactly as she ought to have been.
I'm especially looking forward to seeing Brienne interacting with Jaime Lannister, especially after he loses his hand. I ship this pairing so hard, it's ridiculous.

Daenerys hasn't had the prophecies yet -- she hasn't made it to Qarth, so there's any number of things that haven't shown up yet. However:

She was to have one betrayal for blood (Mirri Maz Durr, in payment for her multiple rape and slaughter of her people), one for gold (likely Jorah Mormont, who was in the pay of Robert's Small Council and holding out for a royal pardon). I may have missed the third -- I tended to skim the Daenerys chapters in A Dance for Dragons because it basically turned Mereen into fucking high school with Dany mooning about over some boy with nifty hair. But there was an assassination attempt, poison in her food. This may have been just the run-of-the-mill attempt at killing the Mother of Dragons, but it might have been the third treachery as well.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP

Iniquitous

I might be remembering wrong, but I do not think Margery is as innocent as people think.

I do remember Cersei tried like hell to set her up to prove she was not a virgin, and implication was there that Margery was not a virgin at all. But it has been awhile since I have read the books and I am just now working through Clash of Kings again while watching this season.

That said, the woman certainly has piss poor luck.

First married to Renly, who is gay. Then to Joffery who dies on their wedding day. Then married to Tommen who is sooo much younger than she.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

jouzinka

Not correct on who had the bastard babes killed, though - in the books it -is- Cersei. :P They're just leaving out a lot of stuff (like Jacelyn Bywater, like, seriously... Bronn (???!!!) of all the people, commanding the City Watch?!), so I suppose they needed to show Joffrey evil enough, so they made him send the Goldcloaks after the bastards in the series.
Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on April 15, 2012, 10:25:19 PM
I might be remembering wrong, but I do not think Margery is as innocent as people think.

I do remember Cersei tried like hell to set her up to prove she was not a virgin, and implication was there that Margery was not a virgin at all. But it has been awhile since I have read the books and I am just now working through Clash of Kings again while watching this season.

That said, the woman certainly has piss poor luck.

First married to Renly, who is gay. Then to Joffery who dies on their wedding day. Then married to Tommen who is sooo much younger than she.

HUGE SPOILER
She isn't innocent at all. After all her family kills Joffrey on their wedding day and she herself knows it, if she isn't actively participating...

Also, her virginity gets breached during the examination of it for the trial that Cersei orchestrates.

Quote from: Rhapsody on April 15, 2012, 09:44:22 PMDaenerys hasn't had the prophecies yet -- she hasn't made it to Qarth, so there's any number of things that haven't shown up yet. However:

She was to have one betrayal for blood (Mirri Maz Durr, in payment for her multiple rape and slaughter of her people), one for gold (likely Jorah Mormont, who was in the pay of Robert's Small Council and holding out for a royal pardon). I may have missed the third -- I tended to skim the Daenerys chapters in A Dance for Dragons because it basically turned Mereen into fucking high school with Dany mooning about over some boy with nifty hair. But there was an assassination attempt, poison in her food. This may have been just the run-of-the-mill attempt at killing the Mother of Dragons, but it might have been the third treachery as well.
The third betrayal is supposed to be for love, but that doesn't seem to be on sight yet.

Also, I read a theory that Daenerys and Viserys might actually have different fathers.
She might be Rhaegar's through an incestuous relationship with his mother. If that is the case and Jon Snow is also Rhaegar's, they likely have another sibling alive, since there are three dragons to ride and, well, the Dragon has three heads.

It would explain how Jorah often observes (at least early on) that Daenerys is a lot like her brother Rhaegar and not much like Aerys or Viserys.

Iniquitous

I swear I love going back through old books and rereading them because I always find something I missed somehow. Of course, Martin is damn good at the twisty turny plots.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

jouzinka

I'm sure I missed a lot of things and forgot the rest. I read pretty quickly and in a foreign language, I'm pretty surprised anything gets stuck in there at all. XD

Remiel

I completely forgot about Tyrion's clever ploy to ferret out which of the Small Council was in Cersei's pocket.  It was a delight to see it played out in the show.

jouzinka

I'll never forget how Arya kicked Gendry when he tried the: "My Lady." XD Pretty much moved forward in time as well.