Ghostbusters Remake Question

Started by Callie Del Noire, July 22, 2016, 06:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Okay.. I saw GB the remake yesterday..

Why are there so many haters on Leslie Jones? I mean.. Come on.. She was AWESOME as the 'Straight Gal' for the geek speak and jokes.

I loved her.. (Holtzmann was a harder to like character.. )

She was a down to earth person who brought something to the table.. She KNEW the city of New York.

I mean.. The original idea for Winston was he was supposed to be a guy with more degrees than the others combined.. PLUS military chops. The Winston in the movie was so awesome for the down to earth normal guy trying to make a buck...and Jones pulled it off just as well.

Inkidu

I haven't seen it, but I'm going to guess from what I've seen in trailers that she's not Ernie Hudson. I didn't get a down-to-earth vibe from her like Hudson's portrayal of Winston, and it seems more like she's a the sassy black woman stereotype. Loud, overly-assertive, etc.

In general I don't think any one actor is being singled out (though I haven't been paying too much attention to a thing I have no interest in ever seeing), but that everyone is pretty much caught up in the patchwork quilt of fan hatred. :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Callie Del Noire

I know some tool got a lifetime ban on Twitter over his comments on her.

Milo Yiannopoulos, some guy on Brietbart I think

Marri

Because she was a stereotype? Doesn't mean she wasn't the best of the characters, but there's a clear difference between her character and Winston. She was built entirely on the fact that she was a "street savvy, sassy black woman" and there's even a quip about her race in the movie. Winston was an actual straight man/foil to the antics of the Ghostbusters 2 crew and the fact he happened to be black was entirely incidental.

How the character written and played out in 2016 managed to be more of a minstrel character than the one written back in the 80s is a little bit beyond me -- but GB (2016) had pretty bad writing in general.

Also, Milo called her a black dude after she blocked and reported him for saying her grammar was bad. Considering all the other accounts that literally referred to her as Harambe who were not disciplined, it seems a massive overstep on Twitter's part.

Beguile's Mistress

Leslie Jones is a comedian with a huge personality and an irreverent delivery.  She startled me the first time I saw her on Saturday Night Live but once I got accustomed to her I began enjoying her.  I haven't seen the movie yet but I think she's perfect for the role.

She is definitely demure or retiring.  She can be abrasive at times.  The internet is a place where those with no courage to face a person in real life can hide behind a persona and attack you.  Once it begins it can take on a life of its own and should the person under attack be a celebrity there are no limits.

I give her credit for standing up to the vermin going after her and letting her feeling out.  I hope it dies down soon, though, instead of getting worse.

Irisa

I saw GB today.  I enjoyed it.  I liked Jone's character, Patty.  I would not have enjoyed the movie half as much without her.  I agree that Holtzmann was a harder character to like.  She was just kinda awkward, but not really endearing.  She grew on me, though. 

Mathim

Quote from: Inkidu on July 22, 2016, 06:44:42 PM
I haven't seen it, but I'm going to guess from what I've seen in trailers that she's not Ernie Hudson. I didn't get a down-to-earth vibe from her like Hudson's portrayal of Winston, and it seems more like she's a the sassy black woman stereotype. Loud, overly-assertive, etc.

In general I don't think any one actor is being singled out (though I haven't been paying too much attention to a thing I have no interest in ever seeing), but that everyone is pretty much caught up in the patchwork quilt of fan hatred. :\

Pretty much what I gathered from watching the trailers. Kind of embarrassing, really. They have to rely on stereotypes for humor instead of turning them around which would require clever writers.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Beguile's Mistress

Considering the comedy of the original is based on stereotypical characters GB2 is doing fairly well carrying the franchise.

Mathim

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on July 22, 2016, 08:08:58 PM
Considering the comedy of the original is based on stereotypical characters GB2 is doing fairly well carrying the franchise.

Like nerds? That's probably the most common stereotype they played out in the first two films.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

TheGlyphstone

Does 'sleazy womanizing douchebag' count? Cause that pretty much sums up Venkman in a nutshell.

Gadifriald

The original "Ghostbusters" movie sucked despite an extremely talented cast due to bad writing and lousy direction and from what I've heard, despite having a talented female cast, the remake of "Ghostbusters" sucks even more due to bad writing and direction and cheap looking special effects.
I am a mighty ravisher of captive damsels and princesses!

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 22, 2016, 09:08:35 PM
Does 'sleazy womanizing douchebag' count? Cause that pretty much sums up Venkman in a nutshell.

That's one of them.  I was having trouble trying to come up with the right words. :D

Too much comedy draws from stereotypes because they are best known and easiest to set up as the butt of jokes.  It takes a high degree of talent to turn the subtle into the humorous and sell it to an audience. 

TheGlyphstone

For that matter, Wilson was pretty much a stereotype himself. He was a down-to-earth, street-smart black man instead of a woman, but other than that he and Jones's character aren't dissimilar on the casting-call level.

TaintedAndDelish

Quote from: Gadifriald on July 22, 2016, 09:12:15 PM
The original "Ghostbusters" movie sucked despite an extremely talented cast due to bad writing and lousy direction and from what I've heard, despite having a talented female cast, the remake of "Ghostbusters" sucks even more due to bad writing and direction and cheap looking special effects.

The original Ghost busters was indeed cheezy, but funny at the same time. That's kind of how it was supposed to be. It was kind of a gag. Not falling-off-your-seat funny, but kind of enjoyable-funny. Personally, I enjoyed the character's personalities and chemistry and was willing to forgive the parts that fell short. Seeing the preview for the latest version, I don't really feel like there's much reason to see it. It looks like a pathetic attempt at monetizing a classic movie by replacing the actors with fresh meat. My guess based on the trailer is that they probably recycled most of the story and had very little original content. I'm not paying nosebleed prices to see that in a movie theater, but I might watch it if it comes out on Netflix.

TheGlyphstone

It's pretty much universally agreed that the NuGhostbusters trailer is utter garbage. You might not like the movie, but either way the trailer isn't a good depiction of pretty much anything in it.

Lustful Bride

Its the internet. Half of them are actually racists while the other half are just people being trolls and screwing around just because its fun to them :/

Also a more indepth look at all of the controversies around this movie (and so much Backroom Backstabbing that went on at the studio)

They threatened Bill Murray with legal action if he didn't do the damn cameo.

Thesunmaid

I saw this movie last night and it was wonderful. I loved all of them. They cracked me up and the effects were great and I love that they had stay puft and slimer.
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking