News:

Main Menu

Winter is Coming...

Started by Rhapsody, April 01, 2012, 04:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhapsody

Game of Thrones, Season 2 Episode 1, tonight!

Who's with me?
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Iniquitous

Sooooo cannot wait to see Ceresi and Joffery get what is coming to them! Awesome first episode of Season 2
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Rhapsody

I couldn't watch the last few minutes, but otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Man, those direwolves are huuuuge.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP

Iniquitous

The last few minutes of the first episode will make you hate Cersei more than ever lol

Remiel

I was, personally, impressed by the digital effects and CGI.  Specifically with the dragons and Grey Wind (Robb's direwolf).

As always, if you're doing to discuss plot points from the books that haven't been seen yet, please cover it with a spoiler:

[spoiler]Spoilery text goes here![/spoiler]

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
I heard that Eddard Stark gets killed off before the season ends!

Remiel

Oh, and Rhapsody, the last few minutes were mostly concerned with

Joffrey hunting down and killing all of King Robert's known bastards, to eliminate any possible claim to the throne.

I particularly liked the scene where

Cersei confronts Littlefinger and reminds him that, while knowledge may be power, and he may be Minister of Coin, she can still have him killed off whenever she wishes.

I can't remember if that scene was in the book.  I don't think it was.

Rhapsody

Quote from: Remiel on April 01, 2012, 10:27:14 PM
Oh, and Rhapsody, the last few minutes were mostly concerned with

Joffrey hunting down and killing all of King Robert's known bastards, to eliminate any possible claim to the throne.

Yes, I know.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP

Shjade

Eh...I have to admit, the show kinda lost my interest when they skipped over the dwarf's entire battle scene by having him KO'd before it started instead. That's a bad precedent to set in your first season of a series like this. :|
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Remiel

I think it was a matter of production values and sheer logistics.  I think the producers thought, "yes, we could spend millions of dollars setting up an elaborate battle scene with thousands of extras, choreography, and sets, or we could just show Tyrion sleeping through the whole thing and arrive at mostly the same place."  I really can't fault them for that decision.

Shjade

Quote from: Remiel on April 02, 2012, 06:00:07 PM
...or we could just show Tyrion sleeping through the whole thing and arrive at mostly the same place."

I'd say there's considerable distance between "the snotty bitter dwarf gets knocked out by his own men and sleeps through the war" and "the snotty bitter dwarf actually mans up (to a degree) and learns some things about himself and the world in surviving a real battle," in terms of where you arrive after the event is over. It was a fairly important character development moment and they decided, Nah, not important.

If they were going to black-screen it, at least cut it off with him charging in with the rest, then cut to afterward where he's beaten up, bloodied, but was there and involved. It's not just that they skipped it, it's how they did the skipping.
◕/◕'s

Rhapsody

Tyrion in a lot of ways is comic relief. He's a strong character with demons and issues, but he's a funny character. And I got a good laugh from him being bashed in the head by happenstance while his men were charging, but yeah... The battle could have been done just as well.

Quote from: Remiel on April 02, 2012, 06:00:07 PM
I think it was a matter of production values and sheer logistics.  I think the producers thought, "yes, we could spend millions of dollars setting up an elaborate battle scene with thousands of extras, choreography, and sets, or we could just show Tyrion sleeping through the whole thing and arrive at mostly the same place."  I really can't fault them for that decision.

It's HBO. They don't tend to stress about budgets the same way other entertainment companies do.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP

Iniquitous

I was not so upset about Tyrion being bashed in the head and knocked out for that particular battle. Now, if they do the same with the next one ....

Where he ends up with his face disfigured

.....then I will be upset.

jouzinka

I still have more than two thirds of the book to finish, so no watching for me yet. :-\
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Remiel

How did you guys think they portrayed Stannis and Melisande?  Personally, they weren't quite what I had pictured.

Shjade

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on April 02, 2012, 07:42:19 PM
I was not so upset about Tyrion being bashed in the head and knocked out for that particular battle. Now, if they do the same with the next one ....

Where he ends up with his face disfigured

.....then I will be upset.
Yeah, this is what I meant about it being a bad precedent. :\

I mean really, with him having been one-shot KO'd by his own guys in his first battle, how is anyone going to believe he can actually look after himself in the later, larger, even more chaotic battle to come? To anyone who hasn't read the books it's going to look like a massive "wtf when did he learn how to fight" moment. ...unless they just remove his part in it, which is going to make later plot points completely messed up.
◕/◕'s

Iniquitous

For some reason I pictured Stannis as a bear of a man. Other than being surprised at his stature, I think they nailed it with the attitude. "I didn't love him and he didn't love me."

Melisande - yeah. She fit what I pictured.

Also - Shjade, if they remove Tyrion's part in it they are going to either have to find a way to explain the changes in him or remove those too. And if they remove those, I will be upset - because that is integral to the character.

Shjade

◕/◕'s

Anjasa

Quote from: Shjade on April 02, 2012, 01:52:10 PM
Eh...I have to admit, the show kinda lost my interest when they skipped over the dwarf's entire battle scene by having him KO'd before it started instead. That's a bad precedent to set in your first season of a series like this. :|

I don't like battle scenes, so I thought it was fantastic, personally.

jouzinka

I think they skipped and changed -so- much in the first season that the battle change is just a speck of sand in a desert. :-[

Rhapsody

They didn't really change a whole lot besides that.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP

Remiel

There are significant changes.  For example, the character of Ros, a prostitute who leaves Winterfell and journeys south to King's Landing, never appears in the books although she gets significant screen time in the series:

Her presence, however, fleshes out the characters of Tyrion, Theon Greyjoy, and Littlefinger, so I certainly see why the scriptwriters invented her.

jouzinka

Quote from: Rhapsody on April 03, 2012, 04:16:54 PMThey didn't really change a whole lot besides that.
Besides that they made everyone at least two years older (which makes Sansa even dumber and puts a lot of things out of perspective), besides removing Littlefinger's interest in Sansa, which in turn makes Jorah Mormont sound like an utter creep for his interest in Daenerys, besides making Ned incredibly flat, naive and bordering on dumb, besides removing a lot of Tyrion's style and class and leaving only the boor, besides ridding Tywin Lannister of the epic buildup he received in the book, besides stripping most of Catelyn's wits (namely in the battle with the Mountain Men, but not only there), besides totally failing to convey the grittiness of Westeros...

I liked a lot of the minor things they did, but way too many of the major ones changed, in my opinion.

Shjade

Quote from: jouzinka on April 03, 2012, 07:21:20 PM
Besides that they made everyone at least two years older (which makes Sansa even dumber and puts a lot of things out of perspective), besides removing Littlefinger's interest in Sansa, which in turn makes Jorah Mormont sound like an utter creep for his interest in Daenerys, besides making Ned incredibly flat, naive and bordering on dumb, besides removing a lot of Tyrion's style and class and leaving only the boor, besides ridding Tywin Lannister of the epic buildup he received in the book, besides stripping most of Catelyn's wits (namely in the battle with the Mountain Men, but not only there), besides totally failing to convey the grittiness of Westeros...

Littlefinger's interest don't really bloom until a bit later on, as I recall, do they? Plenty of space for that to develop in season two. Jorah is a creep. Ned is a fairly one-dimensional guy whose sense of honor completely blinds him to the way the world actually works; it's only made more obvious because the story is compressed, putting his many, many mistakes all into one short space rather than stretching them out across the entire book (thereby making his foolishness not quite so apparent at a glance, but there none the less)...

They didn't really change the core of the characters all that much. The changes that are there are in large part due to the medium's limitations, time being the biggest one. The dwarf's absent opportunity to prove himself in combat is one of the larger examples of something directly changing in an existing character. Aside from that, the new made-up characters, like Ros (Roz?), are bigger changes to the story than most anything else, and they're pretty much just there for exposition fodder.

That and all the extra sex. The books have a lot of sex in them, too, but...not quite that much. At least not on the page, where the reader has to sift through it to get on with the story.
◕/◕'s

jouzinka

Quote from: Shjade on April 03, 2012, 07:40:24 PM
Littlefinger's interest don't really bloom until a bit later on, as I recall, do they? Plenty of space for that to develop in season two. Jorah is a creep. Ned is a fairly one-dimensional guy whose sense of honor completely blinds him to the way the world actually works; it's only made more obvious because the story is compressed, putting his many, many mistakes all into one short space rather than stretching them out across the entire book (thereby making his foolishness not quite so apparent at a glance, but there none the less)...

They didn't really change the core of the characters all that much. The changes that are there are in large part due to the medium's limitations, time being the biggest one. The dwarf's absent opportunity to prove himself in combat is one of the larger examples of something directly changing in an existing character. Aside from that, the new made-up characters, like Ros (Roz?), are bigger changes to the story than most anything else, and they're pretty much just there for exposition fodder.

That and all the extra sex. The books have a lot of sex in them, too, but...not quite that much. At least not on the page, where the reader has to sift through it to get on with the story.
Littlefinger makes himself pretty apparent as soon as the Hand tourney. Mormont is creep? With all respect due, not by the rules of that world. Ned's world, the North, actually works the way he behaves, but we never get to see that in the series.