Are Hamachi Networks Safe?

Started by Nadir, July 31, 2011, 02:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nadir

I read the wiki article and I don't like how it gives other machines a LAN connection to my own. Is my distrust well founded?

Nessy

I've used them for years. I suppose there is some level of risk, but I only create networks with people I know, not random folks.  I don't think its just a wide open access though either.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

Autumn Sativus

It looks like it would only allow you access to other computers sharing your connection. Which I assume would be only the computers in your home? It would depend on the way you have it set up.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Nessy

Quote from: Saffron on August 01, 2011, 01:02:26 AM
It looks like it would only allow you access to other computers sharing your connection. Which I assume would be only the computers in your home? It would depend on the way you have it set up.

Hamachi allows you to simulate something like a LAN connection to computers outside of your home network. You can certainly access computers not on your network. I've used it to connect with people on the other side of the world. As I mentioned, these are people I know. I do not believe that hamachi should give them open access to everything. If i remember right, there ar ea number of tutorials on the program out there.
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Nadir

Yeah, but I'm leery in case someone could trick my machine into thinking they were the admin of the network and buggering up all my work.

Andy

Well, you can combat that risk by just shutting down the program when its not in use for what you want it used for. And a firewall should block out any attempt to do that.
Quote from: Oniya on November 15, 2012, 09:32:19 PM
Remember:  Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to Hell in such a way that they thank you for the vacation tip.

Andys Creations: http://www.f-list.net/c/nullah%20mighthoof/

Oniya

It might be worth looking into what functions you want to have this connection for?  LogMeIn, which is the Hamachi-type software that I have at least a 'reader's familiarity' with, is used to be able to connect to another computer for such things as running remote diagnostics and file-sharing.   (I saw it recommended on Callie's 'Need a cheap PC' thread and looked through the web page). 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Andy

Gonna throw in a small tidbit of explanation. I run my minecraft server over Hamachi, and thats basically what we are setting up for.
Quote from: Oniya on November 15, 2012, 09:32:19 PM
Remember:  Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to Hell in such a way that they thank you for the vacation tip.

Andys Creations: http://www.f-list.net/c/nullah%20mighthoof/

Oniya

I would think that making sure that the software is disconnected when not playing would be a reasonable precaution.  I don't know much about Minecraft, but I'm guessing it's not one of those games that does things whether you're looking at the window or not?  (For example, when Mr. Oniya plays PvZ, he will leave the Zen garden open, feed the snail, and let it collect coins for an hour while he surfs the web.  Minecraft doesn't have that sort of 'farming', does it?)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Nessy

Quote from: Oniya on August 02, 2011, 11:08:20 AM
It might be worth looking into what functions you want to have this connection for?  LogMeIn, which is the Hamachi-type software that I have at least a 'reader's familiarity' with, is used to be able to connect to another computer for such things as running remote diagnostics and file-sharing.   (I saw it recommended on Callie's 'Need a cheap PC' thread and looked through the web page).

I believe LogMeIn is Hamachi, or I believe the full name is LogMeIn Hamachi.. they just shifted marketing and things a few years ago, Hamachi references are still on the LogMeIn resources, and when you updated Hamachi it shifted to LogMeIn title software.

It's just a VPN, so for Minecraft I would think you could possibly narrow the scope of what can be done on that. I didn't mess with that part of the program much at all since the people I use it with are very well known to me.
Misc. Long Term Ideas

Oniya

Ah, okay.  I wasn't sure if I was dealing with something that had been turned into the generic term (like aspirin, bandaid, or xerox).

Nessy

Quote from: Oniya on August 02, 2011, 06:53:18 PM
Ah, okay.  I wasn't sure if I was dealing with something that had been turned into the generic term (like aspirin, bandaid, or xerox).

Heh like googling things. Who knows, it could get that way one some day. I am guessing they thought Hamachi was too weird of a name for a "western" crowd.
Misc. Long Term Ideas