Quotes, sayings and wit

Started by Captain Maltese, December 24, 2016, 03:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Maltese

You learn more from losing than from winning. For one thing you lose a great more often than you win.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Wolf O Donnel

We're all stories in the end, just make it a good one.

Captain Maltese

Eat, drink and be merry, because - who ever read past the first five words anyway? Why would you actually need to?

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

Lady Shadow

Love, have sex, and just be young while you can.
Rhythm is something you either have or don't have, but when you have it, you have it all over.
Ambition is like a V8 engine.
~Elvis Presley~

Captain Maltese

“Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was myself. Soon I awaked, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.”

- Zhuangzi

Shekinah

If you want something, you’ll do a thousand things to obtain it. But if you don’t want something, you’ll give a thousand excuses to refrain from it.

Why don’t we drink to me and my reflection in your lovely eyes?

My O/O's
Have you taken care of yourself today?

Captain Maltese

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

- John F. Kennedy

Nico

"The difference between literature and journalism is that journalism is unreadable and literature is not read." - Oscar Wilde

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." - Voltaire

Captain Maltese

"In order to know virtue, we must first acquaint ourselves with vice."

- Marquis De Sade

Shekinah

You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.

The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die

~ Buddha

My O/O's

Captain Maltese

"'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."

- Alfred Lord Tennyson

Nico

"I call architecture frozen music." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Captain Maltese

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."

- Winston Churchill

Shekinah

I think a lot of people don't realize that martial arts are just an expression like anything else. It's just that most people are not trained to punch or kick, but you can walk or run or dance, which is also part of expression.
Donnie Yen

My O/O's

Captain Maltese

"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand. The Centauri learned that lesson once. We will teach it to them again. Though it take a thousand years, we will be free."

- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5.

Nico

"An artist has no home in Europe except in Paris." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

HannibalBarca

Loneliness adds beauty to life. It puts a special burn on sunsets and makes night air smell better.

-- Henry Rollins
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Wolf O Donnel

"Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way or another." - The Doctor

Shekinah

Do you know why snow is white..? Because it forgot what color it was.
C.C.

kenzan naru tamashii ha; kenzen naru seishin to; kenzen naru nikutai ni yadoru
A sound soul resides in a sound mind and a sound body
Soul Eater

History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
MarieMaia Kushrenada

My O/O's

Nico

Probably one of my favourite quotes ever:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Shekinah

Some sayings from where I grew up

Diam-diam ubi berisi, diam-diam besi berkarat
The Potato grows in silence, The iron corrodes in silence

Lembu punya susu, sapi dapat nama
Milk belongs to the cow, but the bull cow gets the publicity.

Melentur buluh biarlah daripada rebungnya
To bend a bamboo, start when it is a shoot

Terlepas dari mulut buaya, masuk ke mulut harimau
Escaped from a crocodile’s mouth, enter a tiger’s mouth

My O/O's

Nico

"The mind is like an iceberg, it floats with one-seventh of its bulk above water." - Sigmund Freud

Shekinah

"Back when the Bible was written, then edited, then rewritten, then rewritten, then re-edited, then translated from dead languages, then re-translated, then edited, then rewritten, then given to kings for them to take their favorite parts, then rewritten, then re-rewritten, then translated again, then given to the pope for him to approve, then rewritten, then edited again, then re-re-re-re-rewritten again...all based on stories that were told orally 30 to 90 years AFTER they happened.. to people who didn't know how to write... so..." -David Cross

My O/O's

Nico

"No doubt the artist is the child of his time; but woe to him if he is also its disciple, or even its favorite." - Friedrich Schiller

Shekinah

"Whatever you lose, you'll find it again. But what you throw away you'll never get back." Rurouni Kenshin

"Unlike in sports, the game of war has no set time limit and no points are awarded, so how do you determine the winners and the losers? When all your enemies are destroyed?" Andrew Waltfeld

My O/O's