Americans , how would you feel if this happened (a quick survey)

Started by eiselmann, September 19, 2014, 09:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eiselmann

No judgement here just a gathering of opinion on the reaction to an outside force in this extreme case 

Imagine a world devastated by virus , where only 1 in 10000 survive , America's population is now around 30,000 people. However fate has spared one nation from the devastating virus , after several months that Nation sends a military force to the States and having taken control of an Airport starts flying in people to build up its presence.

Just wondering how American's who survived the Virus would react to the presence of the outside force keeping in mind the US population is scattered with maybe a few small communities beginning to form. The new force is here to help rebuild and get the States back on to its feet with the expectation that the current population become part of the other countries society and pledges allegiance to that other country. ( on a scale of  1 to 100 (1 being : get outta my country you invading scum , 100 being: please take over we're happy to join your society.)

If the new force was from an enemy country like North Korea

If the new force was from a friendly (but not allied) country like New Zealand.

If the new force was from an allied country like the United Kingdom.

260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=254364.0

Inkidu

North Korea: Probably a 1
New Zeland: probably 80
Great Britain: 90

My personal feelings.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Neysha

Thirty thousand left?  I have nothing to live for but if lame ass North Korea moves in,  I'll refuse their entreaties rather vociferously and would feel comfortable doing so.  Rather live as a scavenger/survivalist then promoting Juche of all things.

Other two don't seem like bad options at all though.

So I give North Korea a 1.

And the other two 95.
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

Oniya

I'm pretty much in the same category as Neysha.  Friendly nation, whether an ally or not, top of the scale.  (Kiwis and Brits are awesome though.  You can't knock countries that brought us Richard O'Brien, Middle Earth, and Doctor Who.  I'd have the accent and idioms down in about a month.)

Enemy nation of the level of North Korea?  I'd actually be surprised if they didn't take the opportunity to simply launch an air-strike against the survivors.  The StoreHouse has a lot of outdoor lore.  I'd be putting it into practice.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

North Korea never, but I doubt we'd have a to make a choice.  I think they would send military forces and begin mass exterminations of indigenous citizenry.

The rest of the world would average out at 50/50 depending on who the other nation was and their approach to the US.

Elysian Radiance

A 1 for an enemy country and somewhere around an 85 for friendly and 90-95 for allied.
"We are beings of starlight; we were meant to thrive in the darkness."
"I am a raging sea trapped inside of a raindrop."

<a href=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200656.0>Fantastic Dragons and Where to Find Them! (05/30/17)</a>
Get Laid or Get Slayed - A Guide to Make the Dragoness Roar!
Muse/Mood Status ~ I'm currently on hiatus from Elliquiy. Send me a PM if you need to be in contact; I'll get the email about it.
Current Posting Output ~ None.
Buy RPG Dice Soap From Me!

Annisthyrienne

1 for an enemy nation.  Maybe a 5 for the others.  Bottom line, I don't know of anywhere else in the world where I would have the same freedoms under their society that I do under my own.  And with our government out of the way, I'd be totally free.  I'd fight tooth and nail, (and with every weapon I owned) to keep that.  I have nothing against those other friendly societies, but I don't think any government would ultimately have my interest in mind when trying to exert control over me.  Bad enough we have the government we have already.

Mathim

Rebuilding under an Orwell's 1984-style government...hmm...tempting. Are you kidding me? Is this even a question? If anyone's answer is anything other than 1, I will weep even harder for America.

As for the other two, frankly, I wish that's what was happening NOW.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

eiselmann

Just a quick thank you to those who have responded so far, appreciate its a rather unusual question. I'll leave the thread open for another 36 hours or so just to (hopefully) get a few more responses .

260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

Remiel

I think most Americans (at least those who don't live in a coastal city like San Francisco) would view an incursion by ANYONE with extreme distrust, regardless of who the encroaching force.   An enemy nation like North Korea would probably be met with outright "live free or die" hostility, while an allied nation would be greeted with suspicion and distrust. 

gaggedLouise

Mainland China as an invader would likely be seen with almost the same level of dismay as North Korea, though it would seem a bit more plausible in terms of manpower and technical skills - though it's a no-go under anything like the present conditions... (I'm not American)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Beorning

What if the invading country was Poland?  :-)

I would expect some level of distrust from the remaining American population, considering how Catholic our country is...

Oniya

Depends on where you landed.  If you decided to take over large portions of the Bible Belt, you'd be classed as 'moderates', and might even be seen as an improvement.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

But most of the folks in the Bible Belt are aggressively protestant, are they not?  :P

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Beorning

On the other hand, we're also genetically predisposed towards democracy / anarchy :) That might appeal to those of the survivors that don't like big government etc.

Lux12

If North Korea showed up I would take my stuff and get as far from their zone of influence as possible. I would look for anyone who might help me get the hell out of there and if I had to stay, resistance time. I would rather die than live under their rule.

If an allied country and Like the U.K. showed up I wouldn't complain too much. In certain ways I like the Brits better.

If New Zealand or someone like them showed up I wouldn't be totally miffed, but I would be upset that I would be living under the rule of a country with stricter censorship laws.

I am a patriot of no nation but if I am to continue to live in the zone of influence of another nation state, then they would have to win anything resembling support by offering me more rights than I had. I'm a communal anarchist. The closer you are to that vision, the more I like you.

Annisthyrienne

I'd like to be clear in my earlier sentiment.  I like people from the UK, and I like New Zealanders. (Is it offensive to you folks to be called Kiwis?) But these governments, while being perhaps close to the kind of democratic republic we have here in the U.S. have already removed some of the freedoms that Americans still cling to, even though our own government is trying pretty hard to usurp those as well. 

People are most free when self-governed.  As soon as government as an entity comes into play, it begins to make laws and regulations that inhibit the people's freedom in order to ensure its own continuance and increase its own power for power's sake.  It might in the beginning be a well meaning, benevolent government, but sometimes those are the worst kind.

eiselmann

Quote from: Annisthyrienne on September 20, 2014, 03:40:55 PM
I'd like to be clear in my earlier sentiment.  I like people from the UK, and I like New Zealanders. (Is it offensive to you folks to be called Kiwis?) But these governments, while being perhaps close to the kind of democratic republic we have here in the U.S. have already removed some of the freedoms that Americans still cling to, even though our own government is trying pretty hard to usurp those as well. 

People are most free when self-governed.  As soon as government as an entity comes into play, it begins to make laws and regulations that inhibit the people's freedom in order to ensure its own continuance and increase its own power for power's sake.  It might in the beginning be a well meaning, benevolent government, but sometimes those are the worst kind.

Not ignoring all you wrote as I'm just determined not to comment on the comments ...but as far as being called Kiwi's is concerned....not an issue mate ..we call ourselves Kiwi's and do so with a degree of pride......if anyone can a kiwi can.

My ons and offs link

Neysha

Quote from: Beorning on September 20, 2014, 01:40:05 PM
What if the invading country was Poland?  :-)

I would expect some level of distrust from the remaining American population, considering how Catholic our country is...

I'd give Poland a tentative 60-70. I mean it's thirty thousand Americans left, can't be that picky. :p
My Request Thread
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

Beorning

Out of curiosity: why the score? Is it the language thing, the Catholic thing, something else?

Remember, we're quite the badasses, when we need to be!  You would do well by joining us! ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVCuNH6uAMU

(this is an actual, government-sponsored TV ad promoting the 600th anniversary of the Battle of Grunwald. No kidding.)

Drake Valentine

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Annisthyrienne

Poland or some other former soviet block nation I might actually have some appreciation for.  True, their language would be different.  I really don't care about their religion as long as they'd agree to leave me alone with my own beliefs.  But I think that having lived under totalitarian kind of rules like they have in their past, the people would now have a new appreciation for individual rights and freedoms.  I think of all people, these are the sort who would fight for their rights most fiercely, whereas people in those countries where they have been a democracy for so long they have forgotten what it's like to not have the rights they take for granted tend to just not pay attention when the government gradually erodes the rights they have left.  It saddens me greatly that this seems to be the case here in America now.

I'd have to learn more about Poland to be sure.  But I might accept them as I've accepted Obama, with a tentative 'I don't think I will like this, but let's wait and see what they do before deciding'.

Neysha

Eh with Poland its mostly the language thing. Catholics don't bother me. Might be some minor cultural differences as well. Certainly more then going to an English speaking Western nation. Naturally my first choices would be Canada, then Australia/New Zealand and United Kingdom.
My Request Thread

Beorning

Quote from: Neysha on September 21, 2014, 12:25:20 PM
Eh with Poland its mostly the language thing.

Heh heh heh. I've heard that Polish language is notoriously hard for English-speaking people...

And the pronounciation! Our kings' ceremonial sword is named Szczerbiec. Good luck to you with figuring out how to say that  ;D

Inkidu

Polish is Cyrillic isn't it? Because to Germanic and Romantic (and that means English) speakers Cyrillic is like all those buttons on a calculator you never use.

Skerz-by-eck?  There I took a stab. :)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.