Psychiatrist knits anatomically correct woolly brain

Started by Spookie Monster, January 24, 2009, 03:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spookie Monster

Psychiatrist Dr Karen Norberg, of National Bureau of Economic Research in Cambridge, Massachusetts, spent a year knitting an anatomically correct replica of the human brain.

Pretty neat!  Check it out here.

Spel

Day after day, she knits some brain away...
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

The Overlord

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ket

she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

The Overlord

Eleanor

O_o I think they have a bit too much time on their hands
Ons and Offs                                             Where there hell am I?UPDATED!
Plotness

The Overlord

Quote from: Eleanor on January 31, 2009, 06:13:54 PM
O_o I think they have a bit too much time on their hands

Gee, do you think?

Meh, perhaps her neighbors are thankful she kept this an indoor hobby...

As opposed to that guy that's been in the Guinness book for years that made an eight-foot ball of twine in his front yard for all to see.

Except she shaped it like a brain.  :-\

Will

...I think it's great.  :P  Frackin' fantastic!  It did say it took her a year, so it's not like she holed herself up in her basement and cut off all human contact. ::)
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

WyldRanger

Very interesting! Something like that is what I need to pass the time right now  ::)

Spookie Monster

Thanks for the replies, everybody!  Panpsychists would assert that the knitted brain does in fact think; I suppose that the question would then be, "Does it think in a manner different from how the yarn thought when it was just bundled up?"

As a note, the article states that the individual who actually knitted the brain is both a psychiatrist and a researcher with the National Bureau of Economic Research, so I think that it's safe to assume that she doesn't just knit brains all day... although if she does... well, heck, that's her business, in my opinion...

Oh, and that's some nifty stuff, Oniya!  Thanks for the link!

Spel

An organic mind?
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Greenthorn

I think it shows she is determined and able to keep a goal...

But that's just me *shrugs*

;)

Yomamaween

Quote from: The Overlord on January 24, 2009, 05:19:58 PM
WAaaaay too much time on your hands to be knitting a brain.  :-\

I spent two hours of my life knitting a uterus...

I then gave it to my mom cause she doesn't have one ;D

I wanna knit a brain!  It would please me sooo

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Spookie Monster

Quote from: Yomamaween on February 20, 2009, 10:27:26 PMI spent two hours of my life knitting a uterus...

Very cool, Yomamaween!  And a sweet gift. :)

Quote from: Oniya on February 20, 2009, 10:53:10 PMI cross-stitched a fractal once.

Have any pictures, Oniya?  I'd love to see them!

Spel

Knit your heart!
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs

Oniya

Quote from: Ziggy Speldust on February 28, 2009, 12:04:18 PM
Have any pictures, Oniya?  I'd love to see them!
Spel

Hope this works.  It's a Lyapunov fractal, done on a jacket shell with a 16-color palette (one of my earlier works - if I were to redo it I'd be going at least 256, possibly smaller grain.)

Spookie Monster

Quote from: Oniya on March 01, 2009, 03:53:07 PMIt's a Lyapunov fractal, done on a jacket shell with a 16-color palette (one of my earlier works - if I were to redo it I'd be going at least 256, possibly smaller grain.)

Wow -- that is outstanding, Oniya.  Super job!

Spel

To stitch that love into a jacket shell...
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs