Do ye have th' guts? (Dwarven Pathfinder Game)

Started by Blinkin, September 27, 2013, 12:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

There is. Have you read the first post in it's entirity?

Tell me about the character.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Marie Reynolds

Well as far as Back story goes, A  Female Dwarven Bard/ Rogue, in her back story she was born into Drow Slavery her mother died in child birth, She was raised by the other slaves that were used for entertaining and wrestling for their Drow owners amusement. this would be their lives till a conflict between the house that owned them and a rival house erupted and they took that chaos as their time to make their escape. Since then she has been leading a wandering performing troupe that has gone from dwarven community to dwarven community hoping to be accepted in on but never finding a place to settle due to other dwarfs not wanting someone in there community that has been tainted by drow life even if it was not her choosing That is the rough draft of it that i have so far Also have a archetype question as well.

Ghostwheel

Should/can I drop Disable Device if your character is joining us?

Blinkin

MR: Ask your question. So far, I don't see anything that I would object to. I think there is a trait that you'll have to take due to the raised in drow society, but I forget what it's called at the moment.

GW: You can drop disable device if you like, it's probably costing you an arm and a leg to get it that high when you aren't getting a lot of SP to start with.to begin with.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Ghostwheel

Quote from: Blinkin on September 29, 2013, 09:46:50 AMGW: You can drop disable device if you like, it's probably costing you an arm and a leg to get it that high when you aren't getting a lot of SP to start with.to begin with.
If no-one else has it, I'll be picking it up. That said, if MR's character has it, I'll take Sleight of Hand or something similar instead. My character concept is that of a sneaky scouty tracky kinda guy, so either one works decently.

Marie Reynolds

I was looking at Ninja to fit the motif of the character being a more stealth unarmed combatant.

Blinkin

GW, why didn't you just go for a ranger type. They're more suited for what you're looking for and you get 3x the skill points.

MR:  I'll have to take a close look at the Ninja, but my initial reaction is a no. It really doesn't fit either the setting or the drow background... but let me look at it. What do you think Anon?
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Ghostwheel

Quote from: Blinkin on September 29, 2013, 10:31:12 AM
GW, why didn't you just go for a ranger type. They're more suited for what you're looking for and you get 3x the skill points.

Ummm... I do have levels of ranger.

Blinkin

Ok, so fighter/ranger? or rogue/ranger?

I'm waiting on Anon315's response to the request. While the Ninja (Not a Rogue archetype), the class will be weaker in trap finding than a regular rogue.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Ghostwheel

Quote from: Blinkin on September 29, 2013, 10:57:00 AM
Ok, so fighter/ranger? or rogue/ranger?

The former, with the Trapper archetype to give me Trapfinding so I can disable magical traps.

Blinkin

Ah, ok. So, you want the character to be out front and scouting then? It makes sense to me. I've always thought that rangers should be out front in the wilds, rogues in urban or dungeon situations. What's the point of finding a trap after you set it off because the guy who can find them are in the middle of the pack. I don't have a problem with the concept that I've heard so far. It'll be interesting to see the character in it's fully flushed out condition.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Ghostwheel

He'll be a scout, but in the classic scout-ranger-archer style, scouting ahead and staying in the backline in actual combat. And while ninjas don't have Trapfinding, I'll have it covered, since you can't disable magical traps without the class ability.

Phaia

darn darn DARN!! i waited too long to reply here. I was busy the  past few days and was looking at trying to join!
By the way a create feat ya all should look at is inscribe tattoo.... upto to3rd level [5th casting level] a magic tattoo could be placefor 500gp or less so as an example the wizard [which i was considering -- monk1/wizard5 or even monk1/witch5 no longer able to advance as monk] could do a magic tat of burning hands on anyonr for scroll cost x4 in this case [level 5 cast] for 500gp or a  summon monster 3 on everyone

inscribe tattoo for the group along with scribe scroll would be useful

well have fun and good hunting

Phaia

Marie Reynolds

Okay I already have the Privileged Slave Trait, so ill find that one if i can. that will be the last ting ill need to do and ill post the character sheet shortly after.

Callie Del Noire

Argh.. lost my write up for the fighter/alchemist I built.

Blinkin

There's time still. You can recreate and submit it.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

frost rose

I don't even have the excuse of losing this for taking a while, but... here.

Now, I wrote it up as is, but I have a few questions as to whether I might want to redo some bits. I nicked an alternate conjurer specialty out of... Advanced Player's Guide, I think, and likewise swapping out a racial. The bonuses to knowledge checks instead of appraisal checks, and making items instead of acid dart. And a few (mostly effectless normal) items as well. Mostly things that seemed reasonable, tho'.

The other thing is that by the RAWs you can make a wondrous item with a continuous spell effect at 2k base price per spell level per caster level. Soooo taking this at face value, items with continual mage armour and shield — is this okay? I realise some GMs find this sort of flexible wondrous item creation to be gaming the system a bit.
There was a SIGNATURE here.

It's gone now.

Muse

Forst, the listed cost for a continual force armor bonus superscedes that, just as the cost for stat bonuses supercedes bull's strength items. 

May i sugest a pearl of power 1 or two, so that you can keep your own mage armor spell going through the day? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Blinkin

Frost Rose, I don't have a problem with the racial trait change. I think that there's already an alternate that you can use for that, so it's not an issue. The APG usually sticks to a balanced class, so I'm not concerned about that one either.

I think Muse is right about the cost thing. I would have some concern that the option may be taking too much advantage of the game. You could go with the pearl option, or just get Bracers of Armor +4 at 8K if you use the same feat to create them and it's effectively the same thing without loosing a spell slot every day.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Inash

If it's not too late, I have an idea for a frontline cleric.

I was thinking a young, bit of a prodigy really, hot-headed dwarf from an order of weapon smith priests.  The order would have been far enough from stonegaurd that they never quite understood how bad it was, and have always wanted to mount an expedition.

Muse

I don't know if there's room or not, but that would be very useful to have!  :)
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Blinkin

At the moment, we have 3 of 5 character sheets submitted and 2 in development. I would agree that having someone who can stand up and swing something would be useful, not to mention a cleric as well.

If we don't see the last 2 character sheets by Sunday, I'll give you a slot.

Basically, at the moment, you're on the back-up list, if that's ok. I want a fast paced game (2 post per week), so if we hit a problem there, we'll bring you in.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

frost rose

Mmm, I was under the impression the reason that bull's strength and a belt of strength didn't stack was because they were both typed enhancement modifiers, but point well enough taken.

So that said, the pearls are nice on their own, but not actually useful for what I had in mind. Basically the reason I'm trying to sneak around this is not so much an optimisation attempt (as I'm on the whole pretty bad at that to be honest — just look at my skill selection after all), but that I am loathe to use spells for basic defence here. I have enough slots more or less, and the real problem for me as I see it is that, as mentioned, combat has the potential to slow down pbp games to a crawl, and I really don't want to spend the first one or two rounds of every combat just putting up defensive spells that honestly are less useful anyhow than just making sure party cooperation is good.

Doubly so for an internet game where mostly what I'm after is less the mechanics-y bits — if I wanted that I'd go for an entirely different system anyhow — but the RP-y bits, which is why I avoided attack spells as well. Battlefield support and control in my experience just allows me more options and interesting possibilities to write for, for the mixed reasons of more often is going on, and that I have more flexibility in what I can put up before GM feedback.

Okay, all those words words words aside, given that there is no way in hell I'm managing a decent pair of bracers on a budget, I think I'll just scratch trying to get AC to something reasonable. The extra survivability is not worth the threat to my motivation in posting. People drop out of games way more often than characters die, in my experience.

But yay on the other things — thanks. They didn't look too unbalanced, which is why I didn't mind grabbing them and asking permission afterwards, and it fit a lot better with my character image. I'll think about gear a bit more and make the necessary modifications there.
There was a SIGNATURE here.

It's gone now.

Ghostwheel

It's not that they don't stack, it's the a "permanent" spell of bull's strength in an item might be cheaper than the 16k it costs by the rules to buy an item that grants +4 to a stat, and when those conflict, you should go by what it actually costs to get the ability by the rules, rather that custom-creating an item that does precisely the same thing, but cheaper and better.