Hogfather - TV adaptation

Started by TonyWoods, December 19, 2006, 10:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyWoods

Caught this on Sky One here in the UK over the last two nights and I must say I was really rather impressed by it – while I haven’t read the book in quite a while, I think it did a good job of bringing the magic of Discworld ‘to life’ so to speak, even if there was one or two niggling things about it that I wish they had changed.

Just wondered if anyone else had watched it and what they thought of it – I’m not sure whether the Sky One showing was its ‘world premier’, or whether it has been shown in other countries yet (or if it is even going to be - although it managed to pull in over 2 million viewers, which according to my sources* is the second largest viewing figure for a programme on Sky One ever - so it might turn some other networks heads...)

For those of you who have no idea what I’m talking about – Hogfather was a televised version of the book by the same name, which was written by an English author named Terry Pratchett. If you like fantasy books, and enjoy a good laugh, then I recommend reading some of his earlier stuff!

* Disclaimer - said 'sources' are about as reliable as the public transport system here in England. If you've ever had the bad luck to visit here (or, worst luck - live here) then you'll know what I mean.
Tony's Turn Ons - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=7198.0

We are such stuff
As dreams are made of, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep

Elvi

Terry Pratchet is much loved in this house, we have all his books, (including the Gnomes and various other none Disc world)and all the films that have been produced.

What we don't have is Sky.......
I HATE you Tony Woods!
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Jefepato

Holy crap!  I had no idea they'd done something like this.

TonyWoods

Ah a lady with some considerable taste - but we already knew that *chuckles*

I doubt it will be long before it finds its way onto DVD - and I think you'd really enjoy watching it too.

I don't think film will ever be capable of capturing the wondrous images a well written book can create within the mind of someone with some imagination, but this one comes close enough to what I had in mind from reading the books to keep a grin upon my face throughout it all - much to the amusement of my partner and my friends, none of whom had read any of the books before!
Tony's Turn Ons - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=7198.0

We are such stuff
As dreams are made of, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep

HairyHeretic

There were a couple of bits I felt could have been done differently ... the Grim Squeaker seemed a bit short and cute, and I never pictured Omnian as sound eastern european / russina ... but all in all, it was a pretty good version, IMO.

What I'm really waiting for is the movie version next year of Wee Free Men. Nac Mac Feegle wayhey!
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Elvi

We talking Death of Rats here?
If you look in the official illustration books (we of course have several, how could we not?), you will see that he is actually very cute and makes you want to pick him up and give him a hug!

And if you saw it as well, Hairyattic, then you are on my hate list also!   
*rubs hands together and cackles in an evil, Elvi way*

HairyHeretic

The illustrations I've seen of him (yes, the Death of Rats) he normally seemed tall and thin, much like Death himself. And as the owner of 5 rats (3 babies got just this week, very cute and manic) I have no problem with hugging rats :)

I expect that it will be repeated before too long, and wouldn't be at all surprised if it had gone up on the net within, oh, an hour of the show finishing :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Elvi

Awwwwww......we've had four rats, first were two female, very intelligent, clean and well behaved, the second pair were males, lazy messy slobs who just ate and slept.....(I even had to make their nests for them!)

Surprisingly, we live in a rural area and there aren't many fancy rats around, so we are harbouring gerbil at the moment.
(But you should see the size of the bugger that lives at the bottom of our garden!)

HairyHeretic

Currently we've 2 adults (brown and white hooded), the 3 babies (1 brown and white hooded, 1 grey and white, 1 a sort of sandy and white colour), and a russian dwarf hamster. All the rats we have (and have had before) have been female. The hamster is male.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Elvi

EEEK!
Male Russian dwarf?
Evil little bastards...watch out for your finger tips!

HairyHeretic

This has already been noticed, trust me.

Cattle die, kinsmen die