40k inspired exploration game~ (Room for one more!)

Started by Primarch, August 11, 2011, 07:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primarch

While Warhammer 40k appears to be cursed here on E, I like to think a game inspired on it may not be. I am interested in starting a game based around a small but advanced ship that has been given the sacred duty of traveling beyond known space to discover habitable planets for the glory of humanity and perhaps loot any amazing places or derelict ships they may come across.

I'm looking for maybe a half dozen players who would be interested in a game that will see us discovering and exploring new worlds, being the first to combat terrifying or strange threats to humanity. A game that at times will be grim and dark, but other times hopefully lighthearted and amusing. Being a 40k inspired game I'm quite willing to bend or perhaps even break some of the general norms of the setting while also accommodating those who would enjoy their characters constructed in a typical 40k style, be they an indomitable Space Marine, a duty bound yet delightfully curvaceous Sister of Battle, an eager Inquisitor, a doomed to die guardsman, a confusing but enchanting Eldar or even a Tau who also serves as ships chef to the bane of the meat eaters. This is all of course in compliment to a more open mind to embrace the idea that this game is inspired by the 40k setting, thus other idea's are totally welcome (If you want to bring a touch of Firefly, Star Wars or Star Trek, I more then likely won't complain~)

Before I set up a character template of anykind, are people interested and if so to play as what?

Healergirl

I'm interested.  I've never played 40K RPG but I love the setting and structure.  You say inspired, a good sign for me.  If the utter hopelessness and existential despair is dialed back a notch, just one, I'd love to play.

Insatiably Bored

color me interested, its been a long time since I've had a chance to play a Adept Astartes ^^. now how much lee way are we talking in character creation? from how you posted the original message it seems decently relaxed. an example would be, would human/imperial characters be allowed to use alien tech and weapons, would they be able to have a more than openly hostile disposition towards other races, so on and so forth?

thanks in advance for your response ^^
O&O: Updated 9/27/11

A&A: UPDATED 9/28/11 Official Day of eternal departure from E

Primarch

Quote from: Insatiably Bored on August 11, 2011, 02:18:03 PM
color me interested, its been a long time since I've had a chance to play a Adept Astartes ^^. now how much lee way are we talking in character creation? from how you posted the original message it seems decently relaxed. an example would be, would human/imperial characters be allowed to use alien tech and weapons, would they be able to have a more than openly hostile disposition towards other races, so on and so forth?

thanks in advance for your response ^^

Since you'll be travelling outside the borders of the Imperium, you could totally use alien tech so long as nobody on the ship made an issue. Can't promise there won't be a traditional Dark Angel aboard.

Primarch

Right, I'll get some information up on the ship soon, and a character template. Hopefully sometime today.

Niki315

I could be in for this.  I'm thinking about making a voidborn recordkeeper for the Imperial Guard.  I used to play Dark Heresy, so I have some familiarity with the 40k universe, but not as much as most that actually play 40k.

Primarch

Quote from: Niki315 on August 13, 2011, 09:22:30 AM
I could be in for this.  I'm thinking about making a voidborn recordkeeper for the Imperial Guard.  I used to play Dark Heresy, so I have some familiarity with the 40k universe, but not as much as most that actually play 40k.

That sounds solid.

HairyHeretic

Is it wrong that I'm tempted to join this and bring Wazdreg, my Ork Big Mek, complete with his unhealthy fascination with shokk attack gunz, and gretching assistant Fetchit. Yous oomies might not like his other 'assistant' (slave), da oomie Oddgit. :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Healergirl

I know jusst enough about th 40K setting to be mildly concerned by your character concept, Hary Heretic.  By concerned I mean "afraid for my character's life".

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Primarch

Quote from: HairyHeretic on August 13, 2011, 10:20:49 AM
Hur hur hur.  ;D

Good thing the Inquisitor I might take up is Ordo Malleus and not Ordo Xenos. We got a right old sitcom cast turning up.

HairyHeretic

Well, I'll see what my schedule is like once you get things rolling. I'm kinda behind on the games I do have, so shouldn't be starting even more :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Wintercat

Got room for one more possibly?

I am interested in this and would be fun to play around if you were willing.

I would be interested in taking up playing an Eldar Ranger in this if you got the room. Curious young man who wanted to witness for himself how these so called Humans live, he got separated from the rest of his group, only to return and find his way back home destroyed. The webway gate slagged by a tank.

With no way home, he's taken up travelling with humans, though still wearing the Ranger gear, and usually moving unseen, unheard. Carrying the Eldar rifle around, he is ready for trouble whenever it may surprise him, but he's not in a situation where he can just engage a foe freely. He's been looking for allies, and if these people can get him to some world with an old webway gate, he might be able to return to the Craftworld.

At least it should be an interesting adventure trying.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

Geradine

and another one joins the fray. i would be playing a tau pathfinder equipped with a rail rifle and markerlight. he would be a shas'ui (approx. a space marine sarge in rank) and is one of the few tau who volunteered to enter gue'la (human) space to learn more about them.
The view from behind a scope puts everything into perspective.

There are many things you can tell about a person by the way he/she writes. -me, i think.

MasterfulJ

Well I'm interested, being a long time (over a decade now - Christ time flies...) fan of the 40k universe.
At the cleanest bar this site of the 'port sits a solitary man. None knows his name, or why he comes here everyday at precisely 1900 standard. His jackboots worn and scuffed yet long coat imaculate, scruffy and unshaven but his Augmetic eye polished to a perfect silver shine...

If your crew is hiring, How about an experianced sailor, former leutenant to a rogue trader, knowledge of the eastern fringe I bring, tolerance of xenos races, and an uncanny ability to smuggle any cargo.

Healergirl

Bearing in mind Primarch's comments about "doomed to die Imperial Guardsman", I wouldn't mind playing an IG combat medic.

Primarch

Quote from: Healergirl on August 15, 2011, 03:27:55 PM
Bearing in mind Primarch's comments about "doomed to die Imperial Guardsman", I wouldn't mind playing an IG combat medic.

Healergirl wants to be a medic. I see a theme. I see a theme and I approve.

Primarch

Right, here's a wee character app for putting together the crew!
As for the ship itself, The Lance of Enlightenment is a freighter sized vessel, small in size but quite advanced. It is capable of travel through the warp (that's the 40k equivalent of faster then light travel for those who are not particularly 40k savvy) and is designated duty is to "travel beyond the known borders of the Imperium of Man, to re-establish contact with lost colonies of humanity or in the event of discovering a planet capable of supporting life, placing a beacon to attract larger vessels more suited to establishing a colony. To bring enlightenment of The Master of Manking, The Holy Emperor who sits atop his Throne on Sacred Terra, and lastly the acquisition of resources, relics and lost technology."

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b]
[b]Position on Ship:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]

[b]Equipment:[/b]
[b]Trainings & Skills:[/b]

[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]History:[/b]
[/b]

For now, only character sheets from individuals who have shown an interest thus far, via here or by PM, as we have a suitable number. If some decide to drop out, I shall open it up once again.

Primarch

Name: Inquisitor Lucien Anshelm
Race: Human
Position on Ship: Inquisitorial Representative, Navigator (Warp)

Equipment: Master-Crafted Force Sword, Inferno Pistol, Rosarius, Emperor's Tarot, Digi-Melta (located in prosthetic eye), Vindicare Stealth suit under Inqusitorial robes (Flak inner lining).
Trainings & Skills: Lucien is a member of the Ordo Malleus, a talented investigator and a highly talented duelist having received his dueling honours over a decade ago. As a psyker, he can perform a number of abilities often associated with the Ordo Malleus Inquisitors, and enough to do with Warp Travel to serve perfectly well as a Navigator.

Personality: A Thorian Inquisitor, Lucien is known to respect bravery and courage. He has no time for fools and has sent more then one corrupt high ranking individual to serve with lives he'd throw away on the front line for a personal cause. When going about his business, he tends to take alternative means to gathering information or getting entry to area's before flashing his Inquisitorial rossette.
History: The Inqusitor Lucien Anshelm was born on a Shrine world over half a century ago, discovered by the Black Ships for his Psyker potential, he was deemed of suitable talent and strength of body and mind to be trained as an Inquisitor. It was the Ordo Malleus he would join, becoming an Acolyte for an Inquisitor Lord, one of the more powerful in the sector. He enjoyed a high level of training and resources, before stepping out on his own.

Since then his most famous event was when he undid the Choas Cult of the Argent Moon, a group that worshippd both Slaneesh and Tzeentch. His machineations saw the cult obliterated by Storm Troopers supported by local defense, and he himself engaged the Cult leader in a duel atop a floating vessel. Now he has joined a ship traveled out of the Imperium, so that he might get an idea of the enemy abroad, while also forming contacts in a most interested group of vessel fairers.

MasterfulJ

Ok I'm game, let me know if any details don't line up with your plans Primarch.

Name: Josh Semperis
Race: Human
Position on Ship: Bridge Officer/Quatermaster
Age: 61 (juvenat  treatments giving the body of a late 30's man)

Equipment: Longcoat concealing mesh armour/flak vest, Long-barreled Hell-pistol, Digi-lasgun (disguised as ruby ring), Power rapier, Augmetic eye and left hand, Data slate capable of limited remote networking
Trainings & Skills: Talented in close-quaters boarding actions, smuggling, limited xeno-linguistics (Tau, Ork)

Personality: At times can seem highly aloof and standoffish, but among friends he's likeable, reliable. Stands by his own code-of-honour which may seem to be a bit flexible at times.
History: Served on several merchant vessels along the Eastern Fringe before signing on as Lieutenant and XO aboard a Rogue Trader vessel, the terms of his leaving kept closely guarded. Rumours abound from his ship being lost to a Tyranid fleet to his comming to Ordo Xenos attention...

Healergirl

Name: Belinda Starr

Race:  Human

Position on Ship: Medic and Gofer/helper at large

Equipment:  Medi-Pack, combat knife, shotgun, Laspistol, Flak armor(Cameleoline fabric- enhanced), 9-70 Entrenching Tool, Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer  IG field rations

Trainings & Skills:  Combat Medic, basic infantry tactics, stealth, a smattering of Tau, Eldar, Orkish which she picked up while fighting them(she is very reluctant to admit to evn the little she knows of these tongues) bartender

Personality: Friendly and outgoing in a profesional bedside manner way, but left to herself is a quiet introvert until she gets to know someone.  Anyone calling her "Belle" rather than Belinda without her permission loses points with her.

History: A long serving member of the Imperial Guard, Belinda gained something of a reputation for her willingness to prowl battlefields for post-battle recovery of wounded Guardsmen whether the Empire had won the engagement or not.  As a result of this she and her stretcher teams came in contact with Tau and Eldar combat medics on numerous occasions, even the occasional Ork searching for a wounded battle buddy from time to time.  As medics usually do, she and her opposite numbers worked out a quid pro quo and pointed never saw each other while working - although critical supplies one medic or the other might be short of at the moment somehow managed to change hands when needed.  This got her in trouble.  After a particularly exhausting night of battlefield recovery, she was  careless and failed to purge her medipack of alien tech.  A commissar picked this time for an inspection, of course and found her out.

The man nearly shot her on the spot but the rattle of numerous safeties disengaging dissuaded him.  She was arrested instead pending assignment to a Penal Regiment.  As luck would have it, the stockade was attacked by Tau infiltrators and she was listed as 'Missing in Action, presumed dead".  She is not technically a deserter as her comrades reported her as being carried off by the Tau when the raiders withdrew.  Nonetheless, she needs to get out of the Empire for a while and signing on with the Lance of Enlightenment looks like the best ticket out she can get.
[/b]

Primarch

Wintercat

Name: Lorinare
Race: Eldar
Position on Ship: Void-Master (Gunners) / Ranger

Equipment: Eldar Longrifle, Knife, Bonded Ranger's Camouflage Crystal
Trainings & Skills: Stealth, Sniper-Training, Spotting, Tracking, Weapons-Operations

Personality: Serious, Curious, Young
History: Lorinare was left behind by an unfortunate group of Eldars. Examining a world they had abandoned long ago, the Eldar scouts ran across evidence of old secrets best left buried. Rushing to leave, Lorinare arrived to the campsite only to discover the small base in shambles, and the webway gate badly cracked. With no easy escape, he turned to a group of humans that exhibited less xeno-phobic traits, and let the crystal's effects fade from her.

In doing so, Lorinare offered his skills to the group. He was a talented, albeit young Ranger of the Eldar, and now with no webway gate to use for travelling, he had no way back home. Deciding to take his chances, he enlisted himself to the service of these mon-keigh, these humans. He could guide their weapon, instruct them how to fire to hit their target more often, more dangerously. He could also explore, and find another way out eventually.

In the meanwhile, he would serve as a scout, and he would serve as a Void-Master to these humans. Guiding them how to use their weapons, he could help out in case a fight broke out.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

Primarch

Geradine

Name: Shas'ui Borkan Shovah Mont'yr
Race: Tau
Position on Ship: Scout/

Equipment: Pulse Carbine, Rail Rifle, Photon Grenades, Light Combat Armor (chest-piece, helmet, gauntlets)
Trainings & Skills: Tracking, Urban and Rural Combat, Guerrilla tactics

Personality: Quiet and reserved, tends to keep to himself.
History: Not much is known of Ui'Shovah Mont'yr, as he tends to avoid most questions of himself, and he places himself solidly into a supporting role when in combat. Most humans that have had contact with him attribute his quiet withdrawal to shyness, which actually isn't far off from the truth as he has no idea how to interact with a species that he has fought with more often than talked to, and he has seen more self-serving than serving the greater good of the species from humans.
The view from behind a scope puts everything into perspective.

There are many things you can tell about a person by the way he/she writes. -me, i think.