How do I block a specific image when browsing?

Started by BCdan, October 03, 2010, 10:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCdan

Right now I have it disabled for Elliquiy, but recently I saw an image (an avatar to be exact) that honestly grossed me out to new levels.  I try to block it, but ABP tries to block the entire Avatar field and then I can't view avis anymore.  I want to block on specific type of image instead of an entire field.

Does anyone know how to do that?

~I enjoy random PM's~

Trieste

Generally, I just right click on the image and "adblock plus: block image". It doesn't block the avatar field for me.

BCdan

Hmmm...that option doesn't come up for me.

I figured it out though! I had to click on ABP and add a block rule for just the specific image I didn't want to see.  Seems like the hard way of doing it but it worked. 

Thanks anyway.

~I enjoy random PM's~

Trieste

Well, that's what right-clicking is a shortcut to, yes. :) If you have the most recent version of ABP on FF, it does it.

BCdan

I should check for updates, because its been a long time since I last updated it for firefox. 

~I enjoy random PM's~

Host of Seraphim

I had the same problem with an avatar. I tried to block it, but it blocked all the images on E! XD

Anyway, the solution is really simple. You don't need to go in and add a new block rule. All you do is right-click > Adblock Plus: Block image...

This screen will pop up. Select "custom." I used your avatar as an example of what it would look like. (Not that I would block yours. I love Rei. :D)

And that's it! Only that specific image will be blocked. That's assuming you have the same version of ABP as I do. I think it's the latest.
Tentatively trying to get back into RPing...

:: O/O :: A/A (updated 3/2 -- please read) ::

Trieste

Or just click the top radial. It defaults to the second one when you right-click.

But you should always read what you're blocking anyway.

Haibane

Quote from: BCdan on October 03, 2010, 10:34:25 AM
Right now I have it disabled for Elliquiy, but recently I saw an image (an avatar to be exact) that honestly grossed me out to new levels.
If you think an image breaks site rules it may be worth mentioning it to a staff member. Even if its specifically not a rule-breaker I think avatars should always be within reasonable limits of good taste and remember they can be seen by guests too.

Host of Seraphim

Quote from: Trieste on October 03, 2010, 07:38:03 PM
Or just click the top radial. It defaults to the second one when you right-click.

But you should always read what you're blocking anyway.

*facepalm* That'll work too. XD Derp.

Quote from: Haibane on October 03, 2010, 10:55:51 PM
If you think an image breaks site rules it may be worth mentioning it to a staff member. Even if its specifically not a rule-breaker I think avatars should always be within reasonable limits of good taste and remember they can be seen by guests too.

None of the avatars I've blocked have ever been against site rules or even inappropriate (at least in Elliquiy's context of inappropriate). They just squicked me out. I'd be sure to report anything that's illegal/in bad taste.
Tentatively trying to get back into RPing...

:: O/O :: A/A (updated 3/2 -- please read) ::

Trieste

Erm, there isn't a 'good taste' rule, since 'good taste' is highly subjective. ^^

Haibane

Yep, yep, you're quite correct. I only suggested that avatars should be within reasonable limits of good taste. I was just making a point in the hope of causing some people to reconsider some images as being inappropriate.

Trieste

I've often grumbled good-naturedly (I hope  :o) about instituting a 'Does Trie like it' rule ... but that would probably annoy some folks.