What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Sweet...I just got into the DC universe Online Beta...I know the release date is two weeks away, but still...^-^

Hemingway

So, I got Divinity 2. Meh. I might get into it ...

I borrowed Singularity. Decent game, but so far pretty forgettable. I think the best part of it so far is altering the course of history and immediately seeing the effects. That guy I saved? Happened to become leader of the Soviet Union. Just like that, I changed everything!

Also, getting more excited about The Old Republic. Playable Miraluka? WOO.

TheLegionary

In the morning, I was playing Civilization IV.... I cant wait to receive Civilization V, but I am afraid I will have to buy a new laptop to run it. :(

Hemingway

Getting into Divinity 2 now, and ... well, it's an RPG. Sort of old school. The kind of game that cares about being an RPG above all, and lacks the sort of polish you expect from more ... mainstream games. Sort of like Alpha Protocol in that regard.

Also, it is HARD.

Inkidu

I loaded up Civ 4 and kind of remember why I don't like it much anymore.
I have to run a new game nineteen times to get some decent starting terrain. They love chocking it full of jungles, deserts, and other useless terrain.

Also, the only countries worth anything are those with industrious leaders. Seriously, those guys get such a boost over everyone it's not even funny.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Bayushi

Quote from: CaringGuy on December 30, 2010, 08:29:00 PMRight now I'm in the middle of Valkyria Chronicles.  Feel like a bit of a weirdo because I ended up making a squad of primarily females... for strategic purposes obviously.  Yes.  Strategic purposes.

Seriously though, I'm having the same problem with this game that I have with most strategy games.  I suck at strategy.  I'm oftentimes impatient and compulsive when it comes to video games, so I've failed numerous missions so far just because I 'obviously didn't think things through'.  With that being said, I'm still loving every moment of it.  Not since Disgea have I felt this entitled to a complete a game of this variety.  It's just so much fun!

If Valkyria Chronicles is Valkyrie Profile redux, like I hear said, then there really are only three good male characters. Arngrim is good early game, Brahms and Lezard Valeth in Seraphic Gate.

Though Lucian is also a great male to use during the regular game. Sucks that you have to send him to Valhalla to get the best ending.

Quote from: TheLegionary on January 02, 2011, 01:04:45 PMIn the morning, I was playing Civilization IV.... I cant wait to receive Civilization V, but I am afraid I will have to buy a new laptop to run it. :(

Civ V runs well in DirectX 9, so you probably shouldn't have too much trouble.

Enjoy it, it's a good game.

Inkidu

Quote from: Akiko on January 02, 2011, 06:52:41 PM
If Valkyria Chronicles is Valkyrie Profile redux, like I hear said, then there really are only three good male characters. Arngrim is good early game, Brahms and Lezard Valeth in Seraphic Gate.

Though Lucian is also a great male to use during the regular game. Sucks that you have to send him to Valhalla to get the best ending.

Civ V runs well in DirectX 9, so you probably shouldn't have too much trouble.

Enjoy it, it's a good game.
I'm thinking about getting Civ 5 but I would like to know the specs before I drop the scratch. I'm very careful about PC games (usually means don't buy them at all) but I don't think they have a console version of Civ 5 in the works.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Apraxia

WoW Cataclysm expansion. Got a years subscription as a Christmas gift! :)

Chaosengine

Hemingway

Darksiders. Which I've played before, but never finished, as I was so disappointed with it. Knowing what the game is like, however, I bought it again, and am enjoying it more than I did last time. I got it used, anyway!

ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead. I played some co-op with my brother, and holy crap, it's amazing. You gotta love a game that authentic.

Divinity 2. Which I'm somewhat torn about. It's a pretty broken game, in some regards, but for some reason, I enjoy it all the same. I guess that's all that matters.

Inkidu

Civ 5. I'm a longtime fan of the franchise. I remember being seven or so and playing Civ II. Five is a lot better than 4 in my opinion and it has done away with a lot of things I found annoying more than enjoyable.

Religion is gone: Sure in 4 it was cool to get all the happiness and order from the various religious organizations and what have you but it was poorly done having to build so many basically identical buildings.

No more unit stacking: Thank God! Now the computer doesn't have one city with four hundred spearmen in it anymore! Hallelujah. Now the game makes you think more tactically as well as your over arching strategy. Warriors and spearmen are good at city taking. Set your siege engines in the back around some mounted units. Now instead of being able to land infinite units on one space it's more rewarding to take the harder to reach locations even at some slight loss in immediate resources. It's hard to land an army when you only have two coastal hexes and then they have to walk across hills. Now your naval units can pick off embarking land units if they cant go to ground fast enough.

Government got a total redo: No more one size only archetypes. Now you activate certain families of policies. For instance: Japan would be a pious, honorable, traditional government. While the U.S. might enjoy freedom, liberty, and rationalism.

Lots of visual changes: I'm not going to go in too much about graphics because that's not really important. They did however clean up the interfaces considerably. (That and the unknown bland blackness has finally be replaced by foggy clouds :) It makes me happy.)

My only problem is even the quick game can be a little too slow.

Wolfy

Quote from: Apraxia on January 03, 2011, 01:06:01 AM
WoW Cataclysm expansion. Got a years subscription as a Christmas gift! :)

Cooly..you should come join my server. :P

Talia

OK..

...Where are you guys playing your games ?

Are they streaming or can they be watched ?

PM me..
He looks at me and my heart starts skipping beats, my face starts to glow and my eyes start to twinkle.
Imagine what he would do to me if he smiled!

Smile... it's the second best thing to do with your lips.

On's & Off's
The Oath of Drake for Group RP's
A&A

Inkidu

Quote from: Talia on January 06, 2011, 08:05:23 PM

OK..

...Where are you guys playing your games ?

Are they streaming or can they be watched ?

PM me..
What do you mean?

Apraxia

Quote from: Wolfy on January 06, 2011, 06:59:01 PM
Cooly..you should come join my server. :P

I'm always up for diddling on new and strange servers. Speaking of, did you happen to doodle the lovely WoW art you got there? I used to follow the comics of that artist.

Wolfy

Quote from: Apraxia on January 06, 2011, 11:40:54 PM
I'm always up for diddling on new and strange servers. Speaking of, did you happen to doodle the lovely WoW art you got there? I used to follow the comics of that artist.

They have a comic? O-o

And my server is Proudmoore. Main is Zakuriho

Nitro

The Wii Micheal Jackson Experience, Is so not good..

Wolfy

Quote from: Syanyte on January 07, 2011, 11:18:07 PM
The Wii Micheal Jackson Experience, Is so not good..

:/ You shouldn't expect it to be.

Nitro

I meant that I am not that good , It is alot better then I thought it would be, But I am horrible at video games.

Bayushi

Quote from: Apraxia on January 06, 2011, 11:40:54 PMI'm always up for diddling on new and strange servers. Speaking of, did you happen to doodle the lovely WoW art you got there? I used to follow the comics of that artist.

You should both come play on my server. Ravenholdt (US-RPPvP) Horde. Character name is Akikö. (The ö is typed by Alt+0246)

Wolfy

Eww...a PvP server...no thanks, I don't wanna be ganked all to hell. :/

abandoneddolly

Bayushi

Quote from: Wolfy on January 08, 2011, 11:07:34 PMEww...a PvP server...no thanks, I don't wanna be ganked all to hell. :/

lolcarebear.

J/K. It wouldn't be too much of an issue. Ravenholdt is VERY HEAVY on Horde.

Xiphon III

Twilight Princess. Fun. Forgot how much I missed Zelda, it got me to bust out with my old Link's awakening for when I'm away from the Wii. DIE WIND FISH! DIE!

Hemingway

ArmA 2 was supposed to be the last game I bought in a while ... but I cracked and got Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising, as I heard the campaign was excellent.

Now, I'm a Warhammer player, but I don't collect Space Marines. Every time I play this game, though, I get the urge to. Dammit!

Edit: Well, I've been playing for a little while now, and ... well, it has all the things I usually dislike about expansion: "here you go, take all these new skills, items and characters, so you can spend hours just staring at the screen trying to figure out what it all does, instead of gradually introducing new things!"

But I'm used to that, and I guess it's to be expected.

What puzzles me is the corruption mechanic introduced in the game. You can equip incredibly powerful items, making yourself a walking whirlwind of destruction, but damning yourself in the process ... or you can resist the temptation and ... get absolutely nothing in return. What gives? It's like if you made a Star Wars game where you could turn to the dark side and become a walking god, or remain on the light side and get fucked over in the process. From a lore point of view, it makes sense, but this is a game, dammit. I want to be rewarded with powerful shit for resisting Chaos!