What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaosengine

Oniya

You make me want to break out my old Might and Magic games.  Maybe actually finish mapping the bloody thing.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Chaosengine

Quote from: Oniya on December 11, 2010, 02:09:45 PM
You make me want to break out my old Might and Magic games.  Maybe actually finish mapping the bloody thing.

There's no school like the old school!

Inkidu

Quote from: Brandon on December 11, 2010, 09:19:10 AM
Welcome to the master race Sabby!  :P

Generally speaking its expensive to be a PC gamer as every few years you have to switch out parts for better ones. Its also less conveinant as you have to update your software a lot. However  PC games tend to have tighter controls and much better graphics when compared with consoles and from my point of view PC ports of games are almost always better then the console versions
Too bad the PC is DRMing itself to death, the invalidity of resale in most countries are killing off the PC as a gaming platform. Tighter controls maybe, better graphics... self-disillusioned propaganda I tell you. XD
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

dready

COD: Black Ops. Just got done with a 12 hour xbox live party with friends from college... I've found out that you get a crap ton better at it when you don't have to rely on yourself to capture every objective or attempt to kill a guy. :b

Spell

Super Street Fighter 4! With my new arcade stick! ^w^
Darling,
What is going on...
Honestly that never happened,
Lying is your favorite passion...

Drake Valentine

Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen

Waiting on Tactics Ogre to hit again for PSP, lost my PS copy of game. ;\

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Inkidu

I love Battlefield: Bad Company. Need a door. Don't use the one some home builder has painstakingly provided. Just plop a grenade in through a shot out window. Boom, instant entrance!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on December 12, 2010, 09:35:44 PM
I love Battlefield: Bad Company. Need a door. Don't use the one some home builder has painstakingly provided. Just plop a grenade in through a shot out window. Boom, instant entrance!

You'll like Bad company 2...you can bring a house down on your enemy...though Hopefully Bad Company 3 will let you do this more..fully, and with any structure on the map. Just knock out some supports and watch it fall like a Jenga tower.

Sabby

Simulation based game engines are just awesome. No doubt about it.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on December 13, 2010, 02:20:48 AM
Simulation based game engines are just awesome. No doubt about it.

I agree. Throw in FPS mechanics and it becomes a real battlefield....buildings falling onto enemies, snipers creating their own spots, people bringing down things to make cover...etc, etc...

Sabby

Simulation in general interests me, even if it doesn't always make enough difference to justify it's use. Like the Force Unleashed games... very nice simulation based game engine, but aside from a few neat parts, it really wasn't needed. The whole thing could have been done with a conventional physics engine with similar results.

Now, games like GTA4, Red Faction 3 and Bad Company 2... those are good examples of what simulation based game engines can do. The next few years are going to be very interesting to watch.

Bayushi

DING!

Level 81 on my Rogue! That's what I'm playing!

Hemingway

I know that, in internet time, this is already old news, but I cannot overstate how much joy this brings me, these following five words and two numbers:

The Elder Scrolls V
Mass Effect 3

Announced. Oh god.

OH GOD.

WHEEEEE.

This changes everything, it changes my LIFE!

Inkidu

Isn't it a little early to be announcing ME 3. I mean of course its coming but still announce kind of means PICTURES. *hint, hint*

Geeklet

Inkidu

And I thought a trailer would be too much to ask for.

That's the nice thing about Bioware working for E.A. now.

EA: Hey guys you're bitching. Here's unlimited staff and funding to make us gagillions!

In the immortal words of Mordin, "Missed working on operations with a budget."

EDIT: Oh my, mass effect drivers! I kind of knew the Reapers would be coming after Earth because of that abomination from 2 but to see it. To actually see Earth in the Mass Effect Universe is awesome.

Hemingway

I just hope there's some good explanation for how the Reapers got there. Because last we saw of them, at the end of Mass Effect 2, they were far away. I mean far. So far that even moving at the speed of light, we'd all be dead before they even reached the edge of the galaxy.

But, man. I can't even begin to describe how psyched I am about this already. Mass Effect is only my favorite series of all time.

I need to read the latest novel now.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on December 13, 2010, 09:35:42 PM
I just hope there's some good explanation for how the Reapers got there. Because last we saw of them, at the end of Mass Effect 2, they were far away. I mean far. So far that even moving at the speed of light, we'd all be dead before they even reached the edge of the galaxy.

But, man. I can't even begin to describe how psyched I am about this already. Mass Effect is only my favorite series of all time.

I need to read the latest novel now.
You're not thinking about it the right way. Who invented the mass effect relays? Then how they get anywhere fast is easily explained.

Sabby

I'm torn, to be honest... on one hand, the video is awesome, but on the other, it conflicts with what I loved about the Reapers.

The Reapers were inspired by the Cthulhu Mytho's. Think about that, they exist in a part of space we can't reach, predate us by an amount of time we simply cannot measure, have powers that could, and have, destroy us all with little effort, just being near one can effect your mind and turn you or drive you man... and they have squid faces.

Reaper's, to me, are a looming evil, not a combatant. We do not fight them. If they arrive, we're already dead. The focus of the first game, and to a lesser extent, the second, was keeping them away, keeping Pandora's Box locked, so to speak. It made them frightening, because the simple concept of them showing up looked like a Game Over for us.

And that's all changing now... I'm sure I'll love Mass Effect 3, don't get me wrong, but if it's going the direction I think it is, (finding some special weapon that kills Reapers, judging on certain clues I won't get into just now) then much of the Reapers appeal is lost to me.

Brandon

Im with you there Sabby. It seems like Bioware is starting to loose their edge when it comes to main villains. I saw this with dragon age too when we got so many looks at the archdemon. They need to understand that the more you see of a villain the less scary they become. In the first and second MA's we only caught glimpses of Soverign and Harbinger which made them interesting characters. Now that there are a couple hundred reapers roaming around theyve gotten less scary which isnt good for a villain
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on December 13, 2010, 09:41:22 PM
You're not thinking about it the right way. Who invented the mass effect relays? Then how they get anywhere fast is easily explained.

If it's that easy, why did they need the elaborate plan Sovereign failed to execute?

Well, maybe that's why we have a fighting chance at all, and don't have all leadership cut off in the first wave of the attack. I'm just saying, they'd better explain things. If no mention is made of setbacks or changes in plans, it's going to leave a lot of holes and make a lot of people frustrated. Not so much me, but ... yeah.

Sabby

Quote from: Hemingway on December 14, 2010, 08:14:49 AM
If it's that easy, why did they need the elaborate plan Sovereign failed to execute?

Well, maybe that's why we have a fighting chance at all, and don't have all leadership cut off in the first wave of the attack. I'm just saying, they'd better explain things. If no mention is made of setbacks or changes in plans, it's going to leave a lot of holes and make a lot of people frustrated. Not so much me, but ... yeah.

The elaborate plan, is just that. The plan. The Reapers sleep, Soverign watches, when he thinks it's time, he pressed the button and the cycle starts. It's just business as usual. And it's a lot more effective, faster, and easier then travelling there, I'd wager, even if they can travel at speeds that could make the journey in our life time.

So I doubt the Citadel's Mass Relay is there because they lack an alternate method of travel. My money is on something like soft warp holes. They appear in the video to be travelling at no greater speed then our spaceships, and still have a ways to go, so it's not something like Hyperspace. Maybe it's the same general principle, but while they are moving at this leisurely speed, space and time warps around them, so that they shoot through. Same as worm holes, really, but slower, and just a random theory.

Bentley

I cannot express how excited I am for ME3. Bioware hasn't disappointed me yet and I don't think they'll start now.

Anyway, I finished Uncharted 2 and can't wait for 3. I'll probably replay something for the remainder of December. I still have a dwarf noble play through of Dragon Age that I need to finish.

dready

Honestly, Bioware's work on ME3 didn't live up to the standards from the first ME to me. Mostly because I kept getting enemy glitches where one would fall through the floor and cause me to restart the game from a checkpoint five times in a row, until I found out which enemy it was and killed them right away, then found the spot in the floor that they kept falling into, by falling into it myself.

I love the story, just not most of the interactions now.