News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonalberry

Quote from: Brandon on November 30, 2010, 12:33:11 AM
Fifty years is still quite a long time for weapons development companies to create a variety of energy weapons with different intentions, much like we have for projectile weapons. In fact with the US and likely other governments moving toward energy weapons for their militaries I find it harder to believe that there wouldnt be more types out there. An arms race is the perfect incentive for creating a wide range of energy weapons

However, something else that Ive touched on before and I hope that happens in future games is there dont seem to be any home made weapons anymore and there should be. Home made weapons should be widely sold and be craftable by the player. They should last longer and be easier to repair but due to the imperfect construction they shouldnt be as accurate or deadly as post apocolyptic weaponry. I mean come on, how many of us wouldnt love to make a couple home made laser pistols and go to town on the raider gang down the street?

I miss the gun you make in 3, that uses everyday junk you pick up as ammo.  I've killed many a super mutant by decapitating them with teddy bears and lunch boxes.

Inkidu

Quote from: Brandon on November 30, 2010, 12:33:11 AM
Fifty years is still quite a long time for weapons development companies to create a variety of energy weapons with different intentions, much like we have for projectile weapons. In fact with the US and likely other governments moving toward energy weapons for their militaries I find it harder to believe that there wouldnt be more types out there. An arms race is the perfect incentive for creating a wide range of energy weapons

However, something else that Ive touched on before and I hope that happens in future games is there dont seem to be any home made weapons anymore and there should be. Home made weapons should be widely sold and be craftable by the player. They should last longer and be easier to repair but due to the imperfect construction they shouldnt be as accurate or deadly as post apocolyptic weaponry. I mean come on, how many of us wouldnt love to make a couple home made laser pistols and go to town on the raider gang down the street?
Actually no, fifty years is a pitifully short time. We have smart guns now that only fire on a radio-signal signature basis. It's only a prototype to prove possibility. There's actually something about the Wiki on this. It was something to the effect of yes there were oodles of prototype energy weapons in the Fallout universe but the problem is prototype usually means a countable on one hand. What you get in the game is the stuff that was mass marketed to the military. That's why they're blocky and huge-ish.

Still I do miss custom weapons. The Rock-It-Launcher made big guns a fun skill (that and the Experimental MIRV) I think the flaming sword is still there but it has to be crafted.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

CaringGuy

Just got around to playing Demon's Souls.  I'm not sure whether I'm going to love it or whether I'm going to want to break the disc in half.  One week is usually my trial period when it comes to GameFly rentals, and that seems to be the perfect amount of time to, you know, figure out my feelings.

But for now, this my general first impression.

A generic feeling dungeon crawler that makes up for its lack of originality within the game design and art by bombarding the player with one of the steepest difficulties to grace a modern console.  Controllers will be thrown.  Even after only a few hours of play, I've wanted to chuck my controller.  Perhaps I'm impatient.  Perhaps I've been spoiled by games like Red Dead Redemption and others that are more like fantastic interactive movies than any sort of real challenge.  I'm both delighted and terrified at the prospect of trying to get to the end of the game.  If things are this tough turning the first couple of levels, I can only imagine what the finale must be like.

If you consider yourself extremely hardcore, it will probably be a must play.  I'm indifferent at this point.  Maybe it'll be fantastic, maybe I'll hate it.  I'm leaning on indifference, mainly because the game world just doesn't interest me for some reason.  Reminds me too much of Diablo and games of the like.  It certainly isn't a bad thing, I'm just more prone to liking a bit more variety in my color palette.  Muted grays can be fantastic, but an overload of it tends to make things feel drab.

Wolfy

CaringGuy

You know Wolfy, I think that pretty much sums up my entire experience thus far.  Though I do seem to be enjoying it quite a more than Yahtzee did.  For starters, I've always kind of seen myself as a bit of a glutton for punishment. when it comes to video games.  Sometimes an insane challenge is just what I need to keep my interest in something.

It's too early to say if Demon's Souls is going to supply that in a manner that sort of gaming pleasure, but we shall see.  Not that anyone is going to really care if I make a further report on the game in a week from now.  That would just be... repetitious. 

Wolfy

By the end of the day, I plan to have three things done..

Pay off Cataclysm
Buy and Start playing Golden Sun: Dark Dawn.
And buy something else..not sure what, though.

CaringGuy

Quote from: Wolfy on December 01, 2010, 10:06:24 AM
By the end of the day, I plan to have three things done..

Pay off Cataclysm
Buy and Start playing Golden Sun: Dark Dawn.
And buy something else..not sure what, though.

I haven't played any Golden Sun games since the original.  Needless to say, around the time that I started it, I thought it was really fantastic!  But it's been a really long time.

I'd love to hear your impression of Dark Dawn once you get far enough in.  I'm kind of curious when it comes to RPG's. 

dready

I've tackled Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Dragon Age: Origins.

Yes, I know that one of these games has been out for a long as hell time but I didn't have a 360 back then.

Dragon Age: Origins is alright, but after playing through the introductions (all of the origin stories) I found that night impossible to survive the origin stories without dying at least once (because enemies like to pin my character to the ground and rip his/her throat out and take away 3/4 of my character's health when they're only at 50%) and the interactions feel like you'd be better off talking to a cardboard cut-out, save when something happens like when a [spoiler spoil spoil spoiler spoil spoiler spoiler spoil] but even then it's not even worthwhile seeming to be attractive as an introduction. From there it's a rather linear game, where you become enacted into the Grey Wardens after going through a trial, and then continuing on into a battle against a boss fight that is incredibly (easy if you are a warrior or rogue, incredibly difficult if you are a mage [YES EVEN IF YOU HAVE SPELLS THAT STUN AND FREEZE BECAUSE THEY TAKE TOO LONG TO RECHARGE]) and then promptly all of the grey wardens (save your  character and alistar) die. Ran through the rest of the game, enjoyed conversations, got a band of merry men and women within the next two hours of gameplay (which flew by pretty quick) and then was immediately bored up until the end, which I was excited, then bored again.

My review: Dragon Age: Origins is a pretty good game, but it's one I'd rather rent than buy. (haven't done the downloadable content yet btw)

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood is brilliant in how it starts off. Wait, no, nevermind, it's almost the exact same as when you played Assassin's Creed 2, save that you escape from rome. However, what it contributes to storyline is amazing, in how it acts as an extension to its predecessor while not being the same droll game again.  In the attack on your villa you lose all of your gear, thanks to Ezio's charismatic hips, and most of your gathering is either captured or murdered, save your mother and sister. Then, you are pulled out of the machine and as Desmond you help the other three get back into the mansion so you could hide in there away from the Templars. Congrats! This is the most excitement you'll ever get from playing as Desmond. After that, you can run around the villa, searching for artifacts (replace searching with stealing because all but one are inside of a building) and have mildly interesting conversations with the others. (Favorite line is when you look at the Ezio statue and go "What's a matter with you, Ezio?" and get a 'That's racist' and a follow-up of you saying 'You're racist!') You can also check not only your own, but everyone's emails (i'm figuring that everyone decided on the exact same password for some reason) and learn about stuff that so far hasn't been any useful information to the storyline other than pointing out that these NPC's are more than just characters. When you're back in the Animus, you go through an hour and a half tutorial via missions and once that is over the difficulty curves up. (if you didn't train in the animus for when it came to chases and races, you better do that asap since it tells you a ton of information the booklet decided to leave out) The 'secret' armor cache gimmick has carried over from AC2 but now it's the 'Treasure of Romulus' which is pretty sweet armor, and a dagger! It's the best armor of the game, so you're not really performing shop quests to unlock the other full sets of armor because you know that you only need to get enough to survive an army of attackers so you can counter-attack and dodge your way to victory. A few flaws to address: enemies no longer take their time to let you finish executing someone (which could be an improvement save that you can just keep holding RT and press X when they're in the middle of their attack and you'll still counter them) and until you get the Leonardo invention that is just a metal glove with plated scales on the back you can't grab onto ledges, or jump up and grab onto another ledge, or attempt to grab a ledge when you get shot with an arrow. Weapons are severly limited starting off, and you need to purchase every single one instead of picking up a nice looking sword and taking it with you on your trip until the end of the level. That and ledge detection has been screwed up again, where if you were trying to run away from a pack of guards and you try to jump a bit to the right onto a ledge, but there's a haystack just tot he left, you'll do a leap of faith into the haystack. this wouldn't be so bad if the AI can see you through walls a good 30% of the time (which has torn through my patience when playing the 'cannot be detected' missions, which there are TONS to do, and they are mandatory) and running around a corner will no longer break line-of-sight from an enemy who is chasing you, so you have to run around a corner, do some parkour, grab a lamp and swing around another corner, and THEN jump into a haystack or rooftop garden. Then again, when you've gotten good enough at staying alive in combat, and your time isn't pressed, you can just kill the guards who spotted you, even if you have twenty on you, because you can start a kill chain by either: A. Countering and then pressing X while holding a direction. or B. Rappidly press X until you automatically perform an execution (because they took out the timing mechanism, and turned it into 'SPAM ATTACK NAOW!')

The good parts of the game would be when the storyline and missions go alright, as well as having a secondary challenge such as completing a level within 8 minutes or by not swimming, which helps those who feel like they are being suffocated with easiness. However, in later missions, such as after you get the Apple of Eden, you are to kill a large group of guards. The first time, I couldn't kill the last guard because he was cowering in fear, and the apple of eden doesn't kill cowering men. The second time, I killed all of the guards but one, who was alive but wracked in pain on the ground. The third time I killed all of the guards and the game didn't register that they were dead. This is a simple matter that can be fixed by going to the Xbox dashboard and playing the game again, or turning off your console because it's overheated. Oh, and this isn't a spoiler because it says in the achievements 'Obtain the Apple of Eden'

Review so far: an alright game, though would be a buy for those who have a Live account so you can play some multiplayer to ebb away at your frustration.

Wolfy

Quote from: CaringGuy on December 01, 2010, 10:22:09 AM
I haven't played any Golden Sun games since the original.  Needless to say, around the time that I started it, I thought it was really fantastic!  But it's been a really long time.

I'd love to hear your impression of Dark Dawn once you get far enough in.  I'm kind of curious when it comes to RPG's.

I'm still at the beginning, but so far it's fantastic..and the summons are damn fine...I can't wait till I get to the end, where I have like, 8 Djinn summons of ultimate badassery.

Bentley

I'm playing Mass Effect 2 for the umpteenth time.

I have so many play-throughs of that game that I'll probably mistakenly upload the one I don't want to ME3.

Sabby

I plan to plot out the perfect good and evil playthrough for Mass Effect 1 and 2... but... I won't until I know more about the saved games carrying over. I seriously doubt Mass Effect 3 will take as much from 2 as it did from 1 >.< There's just too many variables at this point. I'd be extremely impressed if it could even handle most of them.

Wolfy

And watch them account for every single variable, including what Sheppard Ate at a specific restaurant....Sabby's mind will be blown! o3o

Sabby

Okay... even if they just carried over the big choices, ME3 would need to alter it's campaign to account for... Destroying the Collector ship, capturing the Collector ship, whether you saved or killed the Council, whether you saved Kaiden or Ashley, whether you rewrote or killed the Geth Heretics, and which of you're team members died...

That's a LOT of things to account for. You need a variation in the campaign for Human Council + Saved Ship + Killed Heretics + Legion and Grunt are dead. Then you need another for Multiracial Council + Destroyed Ship + Rewrote Heretics + Jack and Normandy crew are dead. Then ya need another for EXACTLY the same scenario as the last one, but with one different detail.

So guna wait until I start investion 200+ hours of preperation.

Geeklet

As much as I hate to admit it, I am currently playing.... WoW

Brandon

Finished my hardcore playthrough of New Vegas and overall I really like the hardcore mode. It adds a different kind of challenge to the game and when combined with very hard difficulty makes a pretty difficult game. Im definitely happy about that  ;D Far to many games are needlessly easy even on the harder difficulties

Problem is, I dont know what Im going to play next. Seems like this christmas season has been pretty bad for new releases so far

Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Wolfy

Not sure what I want to get next week...either new Vegas or Black Ops for my PC...if I have the money, that is. lol

slanik55

Brandon

Quote from: Wolfy on December 03, 2010, 12:24:22 AM
Not sure what I want to get next week...either new Vegas or Black Ops for my PC...if I have the money, that is. lol

unless youre really into CoD style multiplayer get New Vegas
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sabby

Otogi 2 and Bloodrayne. Both are as good as I remember. Otogi 2 is just amazing... seriously, such a beautiful and fun game <3 it's just a shame it never sold too well because of shit like Brute Force :/

On order, I have Force Unleashed 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom, Gray Matter, and Two Worlds 2.

Hemingway

I don't own a Wii, but I consider getting one after trying the Goldeneye enhanced remake. It's a good game.

Jossiph

AC Brotherhood and Eufloria

Wolfy

Quote from: Brandon on December 03, 2010, 05:21:01 AM
unless youre really into CoD style multiplayer get New Vegas

Well that, and new Vegas is $10 cheaper...Activision really don't know how to price their damn games. >_> MW2 is still $60 on steam.

Brandon

I agree with you there Wolfy, IMO CoD: Black ops should have been at best a $30 game

Wolfy

Oh no, i don't mind paying full price for a new game...it's just, MW2 isn't new, especially with Black Ops out, so you'd think they would drop the damn price. >_>

Spell

Darling,
What is going on...
Honestly that never happened,
Lying is your favorite passion...