News:

Main Menu

Gym Music

Started by Endorphin, August 18, 2010, 02:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Endorphin

I’ve been hitting the gym pretty hard lately; and I’m really starting to wear a hole in my current music playlist. Plus, I’m thinking that my neighbours are probably getting a little sick of hearing the same songs cranked at full volume again and again. My current playlist tends to include a lot of; Audioslave, Garbage, GNR, Metallica, Nirvana, NIN, Pearl Jam, RATM, Soundgarden, Superjesus, Tool and other typical 90s rock/grunge. Some techno is also good.

So, I wanted to get some ideas on what other people out there listen to when they want to get all hyped up to lift some heavy weights, work the bag, push their boundaries or whatever. Ideas?
"The imagination is the spur of delights... all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" - Marquis de Sade

Kunoichi

...Eye of the Tiger? >>;

Koyume

I'll make a man out of you?

Oniya

Are you doing something that has a pace to it (cardio, stationary bike, running) or something that is less rhythmic?  I like to find music that keeps me going at a certain pace, like walking or running to anything with a good strong beat.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Endorphin

Less rhythmic. I spend a lot of time with free weights, which involves alternating between high intensity and rest. I love it when I can time my set to coincide with the chorus (when the intensity is at a peak) and I can get a surge of energy.

Quote from: Kunoichi on August 18, 2010, 03:20:19 AM
...Eye of the Tiger? >>;
Of course. I should've thought of that one earlier!

Quote from: Koyume on August 19, 2010, 04:00:36 PM
I'll make a man out of you?
Never heard of it. If it's the one from 'Mulan', it probably won't get me across the line.
"The imagination is the spur of delights... all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" - Marquis de Sade

Aiden

Disturbed- Indestructable
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

I also have along with most of your choices actually

Slipknot, Rage against the Machine and various hip hops songs that get me in the mood.

Some of my top favorites-
Nelly #1
Nelly - # 1

Flo bots-  handlebars
Flobots - Handlebars

Oniya

Quote from: Endorphin on August 19, 2010, 05:32:49 PM
Less rhythmic. I spend a lot of time with free weights, which involves alternating between high intensity and rest. I love it when I can time my set to coincide with the chorus (when the intensity is at a peak) and I can get a surge of energy.
Of course. I should've thought of that one earlier!
Never heard of it. If it's the one from 'Mulan', it probably won't get me across the line.

Might be able to find some classical music that has that kind of structure.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Aiden

Rammstein also, I can't understand them but it doesn't matter I just need that high paced sound.

Lilias

The official anthem of gyms, however, is Eric Prydz' 'Call On Me' >:) (Way too distracting, though!)

Do the clicky thing!
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Endorphin

Disturbed - Indestructable is on the right track for me. And Rammstein would probably do the trick.

I typically don't associate classical music with that kind of thing. Something like Holst or Prokofiev might work, though I'd rather reserve the music of the geniuses for when I'm in a much more relaxed and contemplative mood.

Eric Prydz and the like are good for some routine aerobic stuff.

Trieste

I have a very eclectic taste in music, and I do both cardio and weight lifting. These are some of my favorite songs on my iPod, as well as a couple from my wishlist that I haven't picked up yet.

Army of Me by Bjork
Let's Go to Bed by Crocodile Shop (it's a cover of the Cure song by the same name)
Weave by Ego Likeness
Burn Witch Burn by Ego Likeness
Renegades of Funk by Rage Against the Machine
Bodies by Drowning Pool
Smack My Bitch Up by The Prodigy
Higher Ground by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Taste of India by Aerosmith
American Idiot by Greenday

There are more that I enjoy, but I suspect you will not enjoy them if you stick to Disturbed and Rammstein. ;)

Jude

Hemingway

Rammstein has a lot of good songs, my favorites for working out to probably being Die Sonne and Ich Will. Some Metallica, too - especially Broken, Beat & Scarred.

I also have a whole bunch of 80s movie soundtracks. Push it to the Limit, You're The Best Around, Danger Zone, those are the first that come to mind. I could probably go on, but then, basically anything from a movie made in the 80s will have the potential of making that list.

The Devil May Cry 4 soundtrack has some good songs, too. This being a great example.

What else, what else?

Unfortunately, that's about all I can think of right now, that really stands out.

Endorphin

Some really nice suggestions there. I particularly like the low-pitched, dirty, grungy, industrial music that makes me visualise things like pistons, hyrdaulics and factory production lines. Good for lifting weights!

Trieste - Rammstein is just great for that purpose. Not limited to that, however.  I really like Army of Me, Weave, Burn Witch Burn, Bodies, Smack My Bitch Up and Higher Ground.