Teenagers With Attitude [Interest Check]

Started by MissFire, June 27, 2016, 02:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MissFire

2016. Arcadia Bay, California. Doctor Silas Kroger, a professor at Arcadia Bay University and his team unearth the archaeological find of the century when they locate a ruin from some unknown civilization deep within the Mojave Desert. Against all warnings, Silas and an intern enter into the ruins. There, they find a strange stone box engraved with ominous looking symbols. Throwing caution to the wind, Silas opens the box and he and his intern are engulfed in an acrid purple smoke. Outside, tremors shake the earth. Moments later, Silas emerges alone. He claims the chamber collapsed and crushed his assistant. The dig site is quickly closed pending an investigation.

Two weeks later, monsters begin to attack the people of Arcadia Bay. Actual monsters. Centaurs. Giants. Spider-women. Harpies. All manner of beasts most foul prey upon innocent people out of pure hatred. It's as if every evil of the world has been made manifest. There is, however, something more. Something else has appeared.

Hope.

Contacted by a strange psychic presence calling itself Pandora, six teenagers attending Arcadia Bay University have been brought together to fight this evil force. Whenever evil rears it's ugly head, the Olympians appear!

Ares! Hades! Artemis! Aphrodite! Poseidon! Hera!

Arcadia Bay has hope again! Arcadia Bay has heroes... with attitude!

A slight twist on the Power Rangers theme. Six college freshmen that just so happen to all know each other are all chosen to help defend their city from a madman with a plethora of mythology's greatest beasts at his disposal. An ancient alien civilization named the Roamer Keng crashed upon Earth long, long ago. They became unto gods to humans and in exchange for worship, gave knowledge to man. Their culture influenced much of the ancient world. Eventually, however, the Roamer Keng fell out of favor with humanity and we waged war against them. In their desperation, they created monsters and the war between man and alien was costly with massive loss on both sides. One alien had fallen in love with humanity and took up their form, forsaking her own kind in order to closely connect with man. She called herself Pandora and her kind despised her, feeling betrayed. They punished Pandora by entombing her in stasis, sealing her within a device that made her walk the line between life and death for eternity.

Eventually, the humans won out and seaeled the essence of the most powerful alien lords within a chest, along with the monsters. They took this box and Pandora, hiding both as far away as they could manage. Pandora would watch over the box in her eternal slumber.

Until it was unsealed by Silas.

The game begins as these six teenagers are first contacted by Pandora, as Arcadia Bay first comes under attack by these horrible monsters. Will you be one of them? Will you be a hero? Or will you just be a teenager with attitude?
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."
    - Sima Yi

Foxy DeVille

Oh. Mah. Gah. This sounds awesome! Would the kids have to correspond with the gender of the deity or could say a gal be Poseidon?

Mathim

Dibs on Hades. Curious to see how their powers manifest. I'd love to be able to go with a Grim Reaper theme.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

MissFire

No, I've got no problems on gender swapping the Gods. My only necessity is to see a balance between male and female characters. It doesn't have to be perfectly even at 3/3, but I just don't want it to be all one gender or, like, five girls and one guy. Even though the guy would probably totally love that.  ::)
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."
    - Sima Yi

Aida Rose

Interested in Artemis, if people are calling dibs. This isn't an anime thing or something, is it? (I know what power rangers are lol. Just wondering.)

TheGlyphstone

Do you picture the power of the gods going to someone more 'naturally' inclined to wield that power? And/or would being gifted with that god's power change the wielder to better suit it?

Since male gods empowering a female avatar/vice versa is already on the table, a guy with the power of Aphrodite tickles my funny bone - but I'm not sure if the idea of an already-charismatic exaggerated Lothario-type would be more or less entertaining than his inverse, a shy (and probably very geeky) introvert who inexplicably finds himself becoming incredibly charismatic and attractive.

MissFire

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on June 27, 2016, 03:13:23 PM
Do you picture the power of the gods going to someone more 'naturally' inclined to wield that power? And/or would being gifted with that god's power change the wielder to better suit it?

Since male gods empowering a female avatar/vice versa is already on the table, a guy with the power of Aphrodite tickles my funny bone - but I'm not sure if the idea of an already-charismatic exaggerated Lothario-type would be more or less entertaining than his inverse, a shy (and probably very geeky) introvert who inexplicably finds himself becoming incredibly charismatic and attractive.

I think the first one; someone more naturally inclined to wield it would get that power. That way personalities stay consistent in and out of costume, even though it would be kind of hilarious to see some shy nerdy type turn into a seducer when suited up. Still, a guy with Aphrodite's blessings is fine, or a girl with Ares, and so on.  :-)
    - Sima Yi

Foxy DeVille

Oooo... then I definitely have some ideas for a Poseidon gal.

TheGlyphstone

What would the costumes look like? Form-fitting color-coded jumpsuits, or more invidualistic alt-modes specific to the god? Like, would I as an avatar of Aphrodite just have a pink suit, or do I have to go full codpiece-and-suspenders Zardoz?

MissFire

Something akin to the Power Rangers costumes with a more Greek and Roman warrior theme to it. You've got a secret identity to keep, after all! Everyone will probably recognize Billy from Economics 101, even if he's busy fighting off a centaur with his magic codpiece. Though if you want to dress up like Sean Connery in your spare time, be sure to send us pics.  8-)
    - Sima Yi

la dame en noir

I'm also interested if I'm allowed to join! :3
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Matttheman89

This sounds interesting! I love Power Rangers! ^_^

MissFire

And the sample sheet with code..

Name: Phuong "Charlie" Tran
Sex: Female
Orientation: Bisexual
Olympian: Ares, God of War
Color: Red

History: Phuong's family moved to California from Vietnam shortly after she was born. All of them. Mother, father, an aunt, a cousin, and two grandparents all came to the United States to seek happiness on the country's coast. They found it in the quiet town of Arcadia Bay. There they family settled down and worked menial jobs until Phuong's father was able to get a loan and open his own restaurant downtown. The place specialized in pho, a dish close to the heart of every Vietnamese person. Phuong's father thought himself the best cook of this delectable soup in the state and he was always an amusing man, so he named his place Pho King as a joke. Pronounced 'foe' if you didn't know better, but actually said 'fa' or 'fuh', he was more clever than others realized because popularity of the place exploded with some small help from the cute dirty joke. Phuong grew up in a restaurant environment, around a lot of heated talking, dirty jokes, cursing, and rushing to get work done. It's no wonder she grew up so energetic and rowdy.

Her social life was always worrisome to her parents and she'd always be out late breaking curfew, either at parties or concerts. Her friends tended to the 'wrong side of the tracks' type, but she didn't discriminate and would hang with anyone she found amusing. Academically, she was always middle of the road with a weakness for math and her strengths lying in physical activity and biology. Through highschool she was a member of the girl's basketball team (Go Spartans!) and the track team. This year she's a freshmen at ABU and planning to go into sports medicine. She's also part of the college's boxing team.

Personality: She might very well have some form of ADHD. Charlie wants to do something, anything. All. The. Time. She hates being cooped up indoors and prefers to be able to roam as she likes. Even when she's standing still she's tapping her foot. She is a huge fan of competition and always gives everything one hundred percent. She hates to lose. Charlie also knows that she's pretty damn talented and has let that go to her head a bit; she is convinced of her own greatness and even though it comes off as more playful than obnoxious, knocking her down a peg every so often might be good for her. When it comes to things that matter and are of utmost importance, she is one of the most selfless friends you could ever have. Loyalty to one's friends is a matter of grave importance, perhaps even pride, for Charlie. Pushing around one of her friends will bring down her wrath like nothing else. She loves to trash talk and toss around dirty jokes. Even her nickname, "Charlie", is a turn on the American nickname for the Vietnamese soldiers during the Vietnam War. It's not something her parents look kindly upon, but she's trying to put a positive spin on it (and she hates people pronouncing 'Phuong' incorrectly). Charlie dotes on her friends and family and all she really wants out of life is happiness. She doesn't know what that means yet, but she knows she'll figure it out when she gets there.

Armor: Charlie's armor is a crimson and gold colored cross between something a roman gladiator would wear and a highly embellished centurion's armor. The base is a high-tech bodysuit of red with gold decorative lines. The suit hugs her body tightly and spares little effort in showing almost every detail of her physique. However, the right arm is heavily protected by layers of armor resembling a manica, which leads to a thick pauldron bearing a lion's face. Her fists are encased in heavy gloves that resemble roman cestus. The centurion-inspired portions of the armor are the decorative skirt that continues the lion motif, the heavy red off-the-shoulder cape with furred collar, and galea (helmet) with a bright red crest. The entire design is reflective of Charlie's personality. The unarmored chest dares an opponent to strike her, highlighting her risk-taking attitude. Meanwhile, the design clearly favors close combat and punching, which speaks to her talents. Furthermore, the armor is riddled with little additions that do nothing; crests, furred capes, gold designs, chains, and ropes that only draw the eye and try to make her look more important. It speaks to her boisterous and over-confident, cocky nature. The suit is beautiful and dares an opponent to get close... just so they can get clobbered.

Abilities:
+Excellent all-around athlete
+Excellent boxer
+Quick thinker
-Brash
-Easily goaded into rash actions
-Poor team player

Other:
-Theme: Little Know It All
-Additional Images: One, Two, Three
-"You said the camera was off!"

*Please adjust images so they aren't too large. Just replace the 'XXX' with numbers! Find a good balance between size and readability!

[float=left][img height=XXX padding=5]IMAGE LINK HERE[/img][/float]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b] (17 to 19)
[b]Sex:[/b]
[b]Orientation:[/b]
[b]Olympian:[/b] (Hera, Aphrodite, Hades, Artemis, or Poseidon)
[b]Color:[/b] (Hera is yellow, Aphrodite is pink, Hades is black, Artemis is green, Poseidon is blue)
[hr]

[b]History:[/b] A brief history. At least a good paragraph or two. Please include what their major is or will be in ABU. All characters are freshmen college students.

[b]Personality:[/b] What is your character like? A good paragraph or two will do. Remember that a flawed character is more fun! The relationships your character has with the others is a big part of the game. Dynamic personalities will make it more fun for everyone!

[b]Armor:[/b] What does their Olympian armor look like? This is largely up to you, but should be something of a cross between a Power Ranger design and something gladiatorial, Greek, or Roman. The designs do not have to be uniform and you do not need to include an exact image of it. Use your imagination! Try to make it reflect not only what the character will be doing (fighting on the front lines? Support? Ranged attacks?) but also their personality. This is a big part of the game.

[b]Other:[/b] Anything else you might want to include; character notes, more images, a theme, your On's and Off's, etc.
    - Sima Yi

Mathim

You know how in the original Power Rangers series, each one had their signature weapon? Like the Red Ranger had a sword and the Pink Ranger had a bow and arrow, etc. Do we have any of those for our individual characters? Because I'd love for my Hades guy to have a wicked Scythe...
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

TheGlyphstone

I'm so tempted to call dibs on a whip for my signature weapon.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on June 27, 2016, 06:03:30 PM
I'm so tempted to call dibs on a whip for my signature weapon.

See? We gotta be allowed to have those! Not sure at all how we'd combine them all into a big laser gun, but...

Anyway, here's what I got, hope it's allrighty.

Name: Damien Bell
Sex: Male
Orientation: Straight
Olympian: Hades
Color: Black

History: Damien lost a younger sibling to serious illness when he was young. Both parents died a few years later in a car accident, leaving him alone. He ended up in foster care as a result and grew to be very introverted, not trusting that things were meant to last, except maybe bad things. He started becoming one of those Goth kids in middle school and carried it through high school, not wanting to get close to anyone since he was always afraid of losing them and going through the same pain that his family's loss put him through. He didn't let it tarnish his academics and performed well enough to get a full scholarship.

Eventually he started meditating and getting more into a spiritually healing phase, practicing yoga and doing a bit of art to express emotion, though most of it was still quite dark. While he initially had decided to major in a program that would enable him to become a funeral home director, he did decide against that after a semester and changed it to English Literature, enjoying the works of writers from Poe to Stephen King. He still has very few close friends or acquaintances, even his foster parents rarely stayed in touch though they got along well enough. He started to dabble a bit in film lately, wondering if he should change his major yet again, although being behind the camera would mean he would start having to make more friends.

Personality: He's not exactly shy but does give off an aura that he'd rather keep relationships business-like and short-term whenever possible. It's not really that he's being rude but more like he's in a hurry to be or do somewhere else. It takes him a while to really trust someone, and few have ever been in a position to know him long enough for that to happen, although extreme circumstances can of course force him to adapt. He does enjoy showing off how creative and insightful he can be when the opportunity arises.

Armor: The helmet isn't exactly that, it's more of a thick mask with a slightly skeletal motif that covers the face all the way around to the ears, but the top and back are a very thick hood, with a small cape that extends a few inches past his shoulder blades. His chest plate is armored but the long sleeves are not, and are slightly wide around the wrists so they hang down a bit, looking almost like how the sleeves on a wizard's robes are thought to look. His gloves are armored thickly and are white, a contrast with most of the rest of his outfit. Though he does have black armored boots that go all the way up to his knees, a black kilt-like covering with a swordsman's fabric sash tying it (in lieu of a belt) is the main covering of his lower body.

The best way to picture it, I think, is look at one of those guys from Organization XIII in Kingdom Hearts 2, and add a skull-like mask to the hooded face, a small cape hanging down from the back of the hood, a chest plate instead of just plain robe about the thorax and torso, and the bottom of the robes stop at around his shin instead of his feet, plus the sash belt and white gloves and armored boots.

Other: During his earlier days, he did dabble in magic and black arts, and would be very intrigued to learn that it might be possible to wield some of that in conjunction with his new powers.

And if permitted to have a unique weapon, his will be a quarterstaff that has a retractable scythe blade that he can be used or put away at will, depending on how serious the fighting gets.

AribethAmkiir

I take it, this is first come first serve? 

Very cool idea.  Too bad there aren't more spots available.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on June 27, 2016, 07:26:19 PM

It might not be, and there are at least 4 characters who haven't been detailed. so you can always take a shot.

MissFire

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on June 27, 2016, 07:26:19 PM

This is not first come first serve. If you see a spot filled that you wanted, apply anyway! Even if it's for Ares - if yours is better than mine I'll step aside! Everyone do your best! I'm going to bed but will look over profiles in the afternoon after work. Have fun and be creative!  ;D
    - Sima Yi

AribethAmkiir

It was more in reference to people calling "dibs".

Thank you for the quick response, MissFire.

Mathim

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on June 27, 2016, 07:33:32 PM
It was more in reference to people calling "dibs".

Thank you for the quick response, MissFire.

Well, if I didn't immediately have an awesome idea pop into my head I wouldn't have called dibs.  :P

But I assume if the team's spots are filled, there are villain and other supporting roles, yes?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Mathim on June 27, 2016, 08:14:56 PM
Well, if I didn't immediately have an awesome idea pop into my head I wouldn't have called dibs.  :P

But I assume if the team's spots are filled, there are villain and other supporting roles, yes?

I kinda figured all that would be coordinated/run by MissFire as the GM.

Mathim

Yeah, but I figured it was a safe bet. Plus I'd be willing to double up if we need key roles filled in and not enough takers.

MissFire

Mathim, he looks alright but I'm concerned about how he'll hang with the other characters socially if he's going to be a loner. The game will be big on their bond together. Also, who does he live with now? Did they pay for him to go to ABU? Lastly, while there will be magic in the game, there's not going to be any done by the PC's. At least not in the "my character practiced black magic and can do spells now" sense.
    - Sima Yi

la dame en noir

Blagh! Looks like there are 3 women total already. I'll go ahead and take out my interest.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory