Out of curiosity: American - Japanese relations?

Started by Beorning, July 29, 2018, 01:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Out of total curiosity: any opinions / input on the current state and history of the relations between USA and Japan?

I'm asking, as - observing things from half a world away - I've long thought that the modern relations between USA and Japan are quite friendly. Meanwhile, there's some awful history between these two countries related to WW2... So, how come that this bloody history was overcome? Or, maybe, I'm wrong and it has not been overcome - and there's still anti-American sentiment in Japan, or anti-Japanese sentinent in the US?

Any observations on this matter?

TheGlyphstone

America spent a heck of a lot of money rebuilding Japan after the war as well, and nothing builds friendships quite like economic investment. Up until this current administration, I'd definitely say America and Japan were strong allies - we are a powerful counterbalance in each other's corner against Chinese encroachment, and any lingering animosity between America and Japan is rendered insignificant compared to the literally centuries-long grudges between China and Japan.

There's lots of other factors involved on lower cultural levels, but as far as diplomatic relations go that is a big part of it.

Lustful Bride

I would say that younger Generations are becoming closer to one another than those running the current administrations. The advent of the Internet and media being shared across the world makes it more difficult to see people as an 'other' and leads to some more understanding between the sides. For all my issues with the Russian government, I have met some from Russia here on E that I would call friends, or at least friendly acquaintances. The more we interact with one another and see that we are more alike, the harder it is to hold grudges and think of them as just 'enemies' or 'outsiders'.

Blythe

The relations are mostly friendly, though there has been underlying tension regarding the US's military presence in Japan--Okinawa in particular. A not-insignifcant amount of Japanese residents of Okinawa either want US forces reduced or removed.

RedRose

I suppose governments get along, and peopleā€¦ are people. Young ones feel more remote from those times, old ones of course are different, and stereotypes  exist Always.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Skynet

To weigh in further, both countries trade heavily in art and culture. Many shows, movies, and comics popular in Japan are imported to the US and vice versa, and have influenced each other. Many American cyberpunk novelists were influenced by shots of Tokyo's nightlife, while the anime Akira was in turn influenced by the cyberpunk genre.

Another thing that surprises me is that there's a huge amount of English loanwords which got adopted into Japanese speech, and even English-sounding phrases which do not exist in the English language but are in Japanese. There's even a term for the latter, wasei-eigo.

RedPhoenix

There was a brief surge of Anti-Japan sentiment during the 80s/early 90s when Japanese business was doing so well and people got paranoid about Japan taking over America commercially. But other than that I've honestly never heard a single American express any ill will towards Japan, even the few WW2 vets I ever talked to didn't seem to blame the people or the country for what their government chose to do.

Helps that Japan has been one of our closest allies in Asia ever since.

There are some interesting articles I've read about portrayal of Japan in WW2 movies, how they went from mindless drones during wartime propoganda flicks to a competent and anonymous sort of foreign culture to honorable men and women who were loyal to a fault to their doomed cause. I can't find any of them through googling but it's an interesting thing to look at.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Beorning

I can't help wondering how it's possible that the relations between these two countries are so positive, considering WW2... Not saying it's a bad thing - it's a very good thing, actually! Just comparing thing to what they look like in Poland. Back here, the anti-German sentiment is still strong.

But I guess the Americans didn't have state propaganda scare them with Japanese "revisionists" who would come back and try to conquer America again...

Skynet

Quote from: Beorning on August 17, 2018, 02:37:17 PM
I can't help wondering how it's possible that the relations between these two countries are so positive, considering WW2... Not saying it's a bad thing - it's a very good thing, actually! Just comparing thing to what they look like in Poland. Back here, the anti-German sentiment is still strong.

But I guess the Americans didn't have state propaganda scare them with Japanese "revisionists" who would come back and try to conquer America again...

The looming specter of the Cold War along with Soviet and Chinese militarization likely made the Japanese realize that having the backing of a military superpower was in their best interests, especially when said superpowers suffered greatly at the hands of their empire. When it comes to geo-political struggles, morality and ideology is tossed out of the window in favor of trade and expanding one's influence.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Skynet on August 17, 2018, 06:08:26 PM
Edit: clarification to say that the Soviet and Chinese superpowers suffered greatly, and a US backing would deter attempts at said countries taking revenge in an overt way.

Yeah something tells me Mao would have loved to revisit the atrocities committed by the Japanese tenfold onto them if he had the chance.

RedRose

Quote from: Beorning on August 17, 2018, 02:37:17 PM
Back here, the anti-German sentiment is still strong.

Same here, yeah. Sometimes I am taken aback at how strong it is. Real hatred for the older ones, the young ones are more into stereotypes. I saw that ad aiming at younger people, for German lessons. It went like "German is not just achtung/Papier bitte/schnell". Also my little relatives came home singing an anti German song (learned from other kids). I know it too. But somehow I didn't think it was still in style.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)