Dark M's Resurrection - A high-powered D&D 3.5 game (NC-Exotic)(Closed)

Started by Kunoichi, January 31, 2018, 02:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kunoichi

Quote from: Sain on February 01, 2018, 03:51:41 PM
@GMs. I have revised some Demon Lord bits. I'm not sure what kind of damage component I should add to the aura?

Zaer, I'd like to ask for a second opinion on Sain's character's revised weakness.  How does it look to you?

Depths Dried (Ex)
Damage or spells that deal with deccidation, such as horrid wilting, bypass all of Ungrath’s spell and damage resistances.

Aura of Depths (Su):
Ungrath gives off a 60-foot radius emanation of suffocating depths of the Abyss. Her  surroundings darken and gain an oppressive atmosphere with sounds and colours dulling as if deep beneath the waves. All breathing creatures within 60 feet of a drowned are treated as if beneath water in terms of being able to breathe. The drowning aura accelerates the process of drowning.

Normally, a creature can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to twice its Constitution score before it begins to drown. Within the Aura of Depths, a creature can only hold its breath if it makes a DC 10+1/2HD+Con Constitution check every round. Each round, the DC increases by 1. When the character finally fails its Constitution check, it begins to drown. In the first round, it falls unconscious (0 hit points). In the following round, it drops to –1 hit points and is dying. In the third round, if still in the drowning aura, it drowns. In addition the aura imposes tremendous underwater pressure on those caught within. Upon failure of the Con save an affected creature is forced prone against the ground, and takes Xd6 unresisted bludgeoning damage at the start of their turn.

Depths Dried works as a second special weakness.

As for the Aura of Depths, I'll note that the Drowned in MMIII doesn't add in its HD to the save on its Drowning Aura, since it literally just forces an immediate Constitution check that increases by +1 each round, based on the mechanics for drowning.  The extreme pressure component could also work based on the rules for being in extreme depths from Stormwrack, which starts at a DC 15 Fortitude save and increases by +1 each round.

As Zaer said, it's best to think of this ability as being less instant damage, and more certain damage.  Sooner or later, without appropriate magical protections or innate abilities, they'll fail a save and the damage and/or drowning will start piling up.

Zaer Darkwail

I myself I am okay with the renewed weakness; that any dry stuff bypass any resistances Sain's char has.

Kunoichi

Actually, I was more talking the Fey Hunger special weakness. ^^;

Quote from: Sain on February 01, 2018, 03:51:41 PM
Fey Hunger(Ex)
Ungrah’s magically infused body is sustained by the fresh flesh of Fey and Fae related creatures (elves will do in a pinch). She needs to consume half her HD worth of Fey creatures per day. No other sustenance nourishes her. However, Ungrah’s body can gorge on an excess of Fey, storing up to her HD worth of Fey HD and thus able to stave off the consequences for a while.

Once hungry Ungrah will not starve normally, but rather takes one unresisted temporary negative level per day of hunger until only 5 HD remain, and suffers as follows:
-Day 1: Lose access to Demon Lord template granted special attack.
-Day 3: All innate healing and regeneration abilities are slowed down and are per hour instead of per turn.
-Day 5: Innate healing and regeneration abilities are slowed down by one day. Base flight, walk, and swim speed are halved.
-When Ungrah has only 5 HD remaining she has a 75% chance to enter forced slumber. Ungrah can test again every day to see if she wakes up.

Ungrah can recover from her starved form by consuming her daily portion Fey, but after being so hungry it takes one day to digest and recover.

Zaer Darkwail

Ah, that. Well I am okay with the 1/2 of HD demand for feys to eat.

Sain

Sounds good! I have edited the power to match suggestions. I can adjust Fey Hunger if needed, or leave as it is and take no extra feat for it.

I have special ability suggestions. Theme is that Ungrath when hungry goes to hibernate, and that she can appear as frail humanoid in eerie illumination on bottom of some otherwise pitch black lake and then use boosted charm person/charm monster too lure Fey to become munchies.

Deep Slumber (Ex):
Ungrath can enter deep slumber when she has suffered at least one negative level from her Fey Hunger. In this state Ungrath acts as if affected by the Sequester spell (CL her HD), except as noted below. Her magical, supernatural, alignment and psionic auras are suppressed so that she appears as non-living matter. She gains +30 circumstance bonus to disguise herself as an underwater rock or coral formation. This sets the DC for an investigation check required to recognize her as a living creature. To awaken Ungrath Fey blood must be spilled in the vicinity. 

Deep Luminescence (Su):
As a free action, Ungrath can ignite a series of small iridescent lights on her body, producing brilliant patterns of dancing, shimmering light. When this ability is activated, the 5-foot square in the front section of her body is illuminated, with shadowy illumination stretching for an additional 5-foot radius. However, the effect also suppresses other light in a 100 ft radius, covering it in magical darkness (the illuminated area remains visible even through the darkness). When activated this ability increases the DC of Ungrath's enchantment spell-like abilities by 3 and allows them to function on creatures otherwise immune to them. However, Deep Luminescence does not affect constructs, undead, or mindless creatures.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

TheGlyphstone

How are we handling item creation? Leadership and its variants?

Kunoichi

Deep Luminescence (Su):
As a free action, Ungrath can ignite a series of small iridescent lights on her body, producing brilliant patterns of dancing, shimmering light. When this ability is activated, the 5-foot square in the front section of her body is illuminated, with shadowy illumination stretching for an additional 5-foot radius. However, the effect also suppresses other light in a 100 ft radius, covering it in magical darkness (the illuminated area remains visible even through the darkness). When activated this ability increases the DC of Ungrath's enchantment spell-like abilities by 3 and allows them to function on creatures otherwise immune to them.

One of the sample demon lords from the Dragon Magazine issue the demon lord template is in has an aura that cancels out poison immunity, but that still doesn’t affect constructs and undead (creatures without a con score still get to be immune to poison, in other words).  Have Deep Luminescence similarly not affect Constructs, Undead and Mindless creatures, and it should be balanced.  You’ll still be able to charm and control Fey and even pierce through Mind Blank, but will still have a few hard counters.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 01, 2018, 05:11:23 PM
How are we handling item creation? Leadership and its variants?

I’d prefer that players only get half-price for creating their own items during character creation if they have the item creation feats themselves.  Effectively, if your theme is to be a Fiendish craftsman, then you can make all your own items.  Otherwise, they’re full-price.  We’re also using the Pathfinder option of converting xp costs to gp at a rate of 1xp to 5gp.

Leadership in the previous game was handled via ECL, with cohorts gaining +2 LA for free and using the elite array to show how they were exceptional enough individuals to gain an Archfiend’s attention in the first place.  I think that can also work here.

They gain NPC starting wealth for their level, and if you want a crafting-based cohort, they can craft their own items (but not yours) to help stretch that out a little further.

Sain

Quote from: Kunoichi on February 01, 2018, 05:24:27 PM
One of the sample demon lords from the Dragon Magazine issue the demon lord template is in has an aura that cancels out poison immunity, but that still doesn’t affect constructs and undead (creatures without a con score still get to be immune to poison, in other words).  Have Deep Luminescence similarly not affect Constructs, Undead and Mindless creatures, and it should be balanced.  You’ll still be able to charm and control Fey and even pierce through Mind Blank, but will still have a few hard counters.

I’d prefer that players only get half-price for creating their own items during character creation if they have the item creation feats themselves.  Effectively, if your theme is to be a Fiendish craftsman, then you can make all your own items.  Otherwise, they’re full-price.  We’re also using the Pathfinder option of converting xp costs to gp at a rate of 1xp to 5gp.

Leadership in the previous game was handled via ECL, with cohorts gaining +2 LA for free and using the elite array to show how they were exceptional enough individuals to gain an Archfiend’s attention in the first place.  I think that can also work here.

They gain NPC starting wealth for their level, and if you want a crafting-based cohort, they can craft their own items (but not yours) to help stretch that out a little further.

Ahh, right. Completely forgot about constructs and such. I mainly wanted it to affect creatures that Ungrah would like to eat but that would have mind blank. I'll edit that in.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Green Goo Theory

Too many ideas running through my head.  I want a construct (somehow?) but I also want a Spellweaver....Or a puppeteer...  or the twisted farplane themed stuff I've been working on. 
Coming soon...

Kunoichi

Quote from: Green Goo Theory on February 01, 2018, 05:32:25 PM
Too many ideas running through my head.  I want a construct (somehow?) but I also want a Spellweaver....Or a puppeteer...  or the twisted farplane themed stuff I've been working on.

Speaking of Spellweavers, the sample demon lord with the poison aura is a Marilith who also has eight arms instead of the usual six. ;)

Lockepick

Methu the Imbiber, Lord of Excess
Vampire Lord Satyr of Legend, Soul Eater 10

Sheet

Sheet assumes Methu has 'fed'/Energy Drained a target within 24 hours -- He summons one create via Summon Monster I every 12 hours to keep up the 'buzz'. Also assumes 3/6 uses of Greater Magic Fang applied once to each Natural Weapon (Slam, Unarmed, Headbutt).
Size/Type:   Medium / Demon (Tanar'ri, Chaotic, Evil)
Hit Dice:   16d8+208 (336 / 336 hp)
Abilities:   STR 46 (+18), DEX 38 (+14), CON 34 (+12), INT 20 (+5), WIS 20 (+5), CHA 44 (+17)
Initiative:   +33
Speed:   80 ft. (8 squares); 100' Fly, Perfect (10 squares)
Armor Class:   41, Touch 30, Flat-Footed 27
Saves:   FOR +32, REF +34, WIL +34; +1 vs Spells/SLAs
Base Attack/Grapple:   +16/+38
Attack:   Unarmed +38, 1d8+3d6+22; Slam +39, 1d6+22; Headbutt +38, 1d6+22
Full Attack:   Unarmed +36/+36/+36/+31/+26/+11, 1d8+3d6+22 and Slam +37, 1d6+13 and Headbutt +36, 1d6+13
Space/Reach:   5 ft./5 ft.

Legend

Legend:
- Vampire = 1 | Vampire Lord = 2 | Satyr = 3 | Monster of Legend = 4 | Archfiend = 5 | Soul Eater = 6

Special Attacks:
- Aura of Inebriation5: 60' Aura. Enemies must pass WIL ST 45 or become Confused for 1 rd, where Methu is never considered the 'closest' target. Passing the ST gives immunity for 4 rds. Allies gain the effect of Heroism (WIL ST 45 Negates, Harmless). Mind-Affecting.
- Blood Drain (Ex)1,2: Pinning a target also allows draining of blood, dealing 1d4+2 Constitution Drain per round. Each attack also gives 5 Temp HP to the Vampire.
- Children of the Night (Su)1,2: 1/day, Standard action. Summon 1d6+1 Rat Sawrms, 1d4+1 Bat Swarms, or 3d6 Wolves. They arrive in 2d6 rounds and serve until released. The Vampire can sense through any of the commanded creature's senses, as well as communicate emphatically, for 10 miles.
- Domination (Su)1,2: Standard action, 30' range, requires gaze or being able to be heard (line of sight not required). WIL ST DC 43 or affected by Dominate Person (CL12).
- Energy Drain (Su)1,2,6: 1/rd, Living creatures hit by Vampire's Slam or Natural Weapons suffer 3 Negative Levels. All other Natural Weapons deal 2 Negative Levels. Vampire gains 17 (CHA, Life Drain Feat) Temp HP per Negative Level bestowed. After 24 Hours, can make a FOR ST DC 43 for each Negative Level, Pass = Removes the Level; Fail = Negative Level becomes Level Loss.
- Pipes (Su)3: When pipes are played, all non-Satyr within 60' must pass WIL ST DC 43 or be affected by the spells Charm Person, Sleep, or Fear (CL10). Creatures who save are immune for 24 hours.
- Soul Blast (Su)6: 1/day after using Energy Drain, 100' beam of force that deals 10d6 Force, REF ST 45 to negate the damage.
- Spellcasting4: Cast as 5th Level Cleric with access to the Corruption, Greed, and Lust Domains.
- Summon Oculus Demon (Sp)5: 1/day, Summon 1x Oculus Demon
- Telekinesus (Su)2: Vampire Lord can use Telekinesis (CL12) at will.

Special Qualities:   
- Damage Reduction: 20/Magic & Good5; 10/Silver & Magic1; 5/Cold Iron3
- Resistances: Acid 105; Cold 101,5; Fire 105
- Immunities: Electricity5 + Poison5
- Fast Healing (Ex): 82
- Spell Resistance: 295
- Alternate Form (Su)1,2: Gain assume the form of any animal as if a L12 Druid using Wild Shape (Tiny to Large Animals) as a Move action. Can change from animal shape to animal shape without reverting to humanoid form.
- Astral Projection (Su)5: Can use Astral Projection at will when in an astral projection room of an iron fortress or similar locale built into personal domains (CL=HD).
- Connoisseur of Life5: 60' Aura; Enemies lose any immunity to Ability/Level Drain, and Ability/Level Drain/Damage can not be healed within the aura.
- Control Weather (Sp)2: Vampire Lord can use Control Weather and Fog Cloud (CL12) at will.
- Enhanced Attributes (Ex)4: Increase DCs of all Attacks, Spells, and Spell-Like Abilities by +4
- Create Spawn (Su)1,2: Targets slain by Vampires Energy Drain or Blood Drain rise as a Vampire in 1d4 days, enslaved by the Vampire Lord, regardless of their HD.
- Gaseous Form (Su)1: Vampire can assume Gaseous Form at will (CL 5), and can remain as such indefinitely, with a Fly speed of 20' (Perfect).
- Guardian Spirits5: +CHA to Spot, Listen, and Initiative. Immune to negative energy and death effects. A turn attempt dispels effect for 1d10rds.
- Haste (Su)4: Double speed, and gain an additional attack at Full BAB when making a Full Attack.
- Permanency'd Spells: Detect Magic and Tongues
- Spider Climb (Ex)1: Constant Spider Climb spell.
- Soul Enhancement (Su)6: After using Energy Drain, gain +2 Enhancement to all STs, Ability Checks, and Skill Checks for 24 hours.
- Soul Power (Su)6: After using Energy Drain, all spell-like and Supernatural Abilities gain a +2 bonus to DCs and can be used twice as much as normal during that 24 hours.
- Soul Radiance (Su)6: May adopt a creature's form, appearance, and abilities (as per Shapechange spell) for 24 hours, if they've been killed by Energy Drain.
- Soul Slave (Su)6: Victims killed via Energy Drain are raised as a Wight under the command of the Soul Eater.
- Soul Strength/Endurance/Agility (Su)6: After using Energy Drain, gain +4 to Strength, Constitution, and Dexterity for 24 hours.
- Telepathy (Su)2,5: 300' Range, or 1 Mile with anybody under its direct control.
- Turn Resistance (Ex)1,2: +8 Turn Resistance
- Vampire Weaknesses1,2: Stake to the heart ignores all DR; Under Natural Sunlight (not magical), Vampire Lords suffer -4 to Attacks, Skills, and Saves, and can not use any of their supernatural powers; A Vampire Lord will return unless it is decapitated, with head and body burned separately, scatter the ashes from the body over running water, the ashes from the head immersed in holy water, and bury the immersed ashes in consecrated ground. If Head ashes are unearthed, separated from holy water, dried thoroughly, and then subjected to an Unhallow spell -- the Vampire Lord regenerates in a week.
- Weakness: Drunk's Lethargy5: -10 to Natural Armor
- Weakness: Tomb-Tainted Soul5: Methu is treated as an Undead creature in any situation where it would be harmful or disadvantageous.

Spell-Like Abilities:5 CL = 16 (HD)
DCs are 33 + Spell Level, except Enhancement which is +2 more. Spells marked with * are specific to Methu. Numbers are doubled due to Soul Power.
- At-Will: Blasphemy, Desecrate, Detect Good, Detect Law, Glibness*, Greater Dispel Magic, Greater Teleport, Plane Shift, Suggestion*, Telekinesis, Unhallow, Unholy Aura, Unholy Blight.
- 6(3)/day: Charm Monster, Greater Magic Fang, Symbol of Persuasion
- 2(1)/day: Gaes/Quest; Limited Wish

Spellcasting:4
As 5th Level Cleric, w/ the Domains: Corruption, Greed, and Lust. DCs are 21 + Spell Level, +2 more on Enchantment.
- 0ths: Detect Magic x3, Read Magic, Mending
- 1st: (Doom; Cheat; Charm Person) Summon Monster I x2, Cure Light Wounds x2 (Summon Monster I x2 used)
- 2nd: (Blindness/Deafness; Entice Gift; Invisibility) Lesser Restoration x4
- 3rd: (Contagion; Knock; Clairaudience/Clairvoyance) Remove Blindness/Deafness x2

Skills:
Skills Table

Skills:
Name

Key Ab

Total
=
Ab Mod
+
Rank
+
Misc
Appraise

INT

=
+
+
Balance

DEX

=
+
+
Bluff

CHA

=
+
+
Climb

STR

=
+
+
Concentration

CON

=
+
+
Craft ()

INT

=
+
+
Decipher Script

INT

=
+
+
Diplomacy

CHA

=
+
+
Disable Device

INT

=
+
+
Disguise

CHA

=
+
+
Escape Artist

DEX

=
+
+
Forgery

INT

=
+
+
Gather Info

CHA

=
+
+
Handle Animal

CHA

=
+
+
Heal

WIS

=
+
+
Hide

DEX

=
+
+
Intimidate

CHA

=
+
+
Jump

STR

=
+
+
Knowledge (Arcana)

INT

=
+
+
Knowledge (Dungoneering)

INT

=
+
+
Knowledge (Engineering)

INT

=
+
+
Knowledge (Geography)

INT

=
+
+
Knowledge (History)

INT

=
+
+
Knowledge (Local)

INT

=
+
+
Knowledge (Nature)

INT

=
+
+
Knowledge (Nobility)

INT

=
+
+
Knowledge (Planes)

INT

=
+
+
Knowledge (Religion)

INT

=
+
+
Listen

WIS

=
+
+
Move Silently

DEX

=
+
+
Open Lock

DEX

=
+
+
Perform (Wind)

CHA

=
+
+
Profession ()

WIS

=
+
+
Ride

DEX

=
+
+
Search

INT

=
+
+
Sense Motive

WIS

=
+
+
Sleight of Hand

DEX

=
+
+
Spellcraft

INT

=
+
+
Spot

WIS

=
+
+
Survival

WIS

=
+
+
Swim

STR

=
+
+
Tumble

DEX

=
+
+
Use Magic Device

CHA

=
+
+
Use Rope

DEX

=
+
+
SE = Soul Enhancement; Syn = Synergy Bonus; P-NK = Prodigy + Nymph's Kiss

Feats:   
- Ability Focus (Aura of Inebriation): L5, +2 to DC
- Alertness1: +2 Spot and Listen
- Beast Strike: Retrained Improved Initiative4, Add Slam to Unarmed Damage.
- Combat Reflexes1: Can make AoOs = DEX.
- Dark Speech5: Can halve the harness of an object (other less useful effects).
- Epic Leadership: L15, Grants Leadership score above 25.
- Extra Followers: Retrained Dodge1; +1 to Leadership, 2x Followers.
- Improved Cohort: Weakness, +1 to Leadership, Cohort Level = HD - 1.
- Improved Grapple: Retrained Alertness3; Grapple without AoO, +4 to Grapples.
- Improved Initiative4: +4 to Initiative.
- Improved Unarmed Strike: L3, 1d4 and Armed.
- Iron Will2: +2 to WIL STs.
- Leadership2: Grants Leadership Score.
- Life Drain: L11, Victims of Energy Drain suffer CHA HP on top of normal HP lost per level; Vampire gains equal amount as THP.
- Lightning Reflexes1: +2 to REF STs.
- Mindsight: L7, Can sense intelligent creatures within range of telepathy, and are aware of their type. Does not break concealment.
- Multiattack4: Secondary attacks are at -2 instead of -4.
- Nymph’s Kiss: L1, +2 to CHA Skills, +1 to STs vs Spells, +1 Skill Points/Level.
- Robilar’s Gambit: L13, Can choose to give enemies +4 to AB/Damage, but they provoke AoO in attacking.
- Snap Kick: L9, Extra unarmed attack on Full Attack, -2 to all Attacks.
- Weapon Focus (Slam): Weakness, +1 AB on Slam.

Environment:    An evil-aligned plane
Organization:    An orgy
Challenge Rating:    16
Alignment:    Chaotic Evil
Treasure: 
GP: 13,950
Head:   Third Eye Clarity
Eyes:   Lenses of Clarity
Neck:   ---
Torso:   ---
Armor:   Evasive Sash
Belt:   ---
Mantle:   ---
Bracers:   ---
Gloves:   Addict's Clutch (Artifact)
Ring #1:   ---
Ring #2:   ---
Boots:   ---
- Handy Haversack
- 2x Scroll of Giant Size (CL19, Wujen 7)
- Everfull Mug
- Potion of Remove Curse
- Potion of Cure Disease

Combat
Combat tactics and abilities here.

Concept
Who/What is Methu the Imbiber?
Methu is enjoys and savors his creature comforts, and encourages it in others. He lets an air of aloofness and poor priorities mask his actual cunning and threat. His thirst for power and hedonistic excess will never be satisfied, and thus, even as he appears as a sloven and easily satisfied burnout, he will always be clawing and crawled for the next 'high.' He can play well with others, after all, people owing him favors or leaving him on good terms simply means something else he doesn't have to worry about later.

Role within a Party:
His Vampiric abilities make him an excellent scout and spy. Methu himself can attempt sneaking in shadows, sneaking in plain sight, or disguise via Polymorph/Bluff and Shapechanging into defeated targets or mundane animals. He can also communicate and control summoned animals, any Vampires he creates, and anybody that falls under his Dominate/Suggestion/Geas/Quest.

Within a Combat:
He is (hopefully) a front line fighter who can take a beating. His main combat script involves unarmed/natural attacks for Energy Drain, which not only will (hopefully) quickly remove the target, but with Life Drain (f) should give Methu a healthy buffer of temporary hit points. Should be able to move/attack with Hustle via Evader Psicrown.

History
TL;DR History

-Methu is too wild and crazy for his grove, goes into the city.
-Methu is too stupid to realize the danger of a vampire, named Cales, and gets his ass turned.
-Not a Spawn due to Cales overestimating his abilities, but Methu plays along.
-Methu is pissed/sad because he can't enjoy food/wine/sex, but finds solace in enjoying blood and power.
-Methu gets revenge by killing Cales and his spawn, goes out on his own.
-Methu accidentally drinks a soul and it is fucking awesome -- learns how to get more.
-Graz'zt, the Dark Prince, catches sight of the soul eater and offers him his mortality back in exchange for his service. Methu agrees. Biggest party/orgy the Abyss has seen.
-Power vacuum opened up and Graz'zt believed he'd have more power with Methu taking power and being in his pocket. PS: Methu is lying.

Methu was a satyr with an insatiable appetite for indulgence, even amongst the other Satyr of his Grove. He survived the excess and overdoses and never learned his lesson, and when the others in his Grove were unwilling to join him in his revelry, he reached out further and further from the Grove. First he found the nearby elves, those who were familiar and respected the fey, and began to drink and celebrate with them. When the elves grew weary of his indulgence, Methu moved further out from the grove; beyond those traveling through the woods, beyond the trade routes, and all the way to a capital that no other Satyr from the Grove had even dared see.It was luck that the people there saw him as an adorable curiosity more than anything threatening. His needs were easily met with coin earned from performances and basic divine casting; Methu was more inclined to work for trade even when it gain him less. His presence alone made the tavern more popular and more wild. Friendly brawls would break out more often due to the heavy amount of drinking and celebrating, shady deals and interactions would occur in the dark corners, and nothing was contraband.

A vampire named Cales came to the tavern to find a victim and see what all the talk was about. He was only passing through, and considered it a challenge and a conquest to take Methu as his victim. The satyr, too naive to see the danger, hardly put up a fight to the smoldering man. After another such night of drinking, partying, and sex, Cales fed from the curiosity and drained him dry. His corpse was carried out of the town in secret and buried outside the town, where Cales and his swarm of spawn waited for him to awake. Cales had miscalculated how Methu would fit into his swarm, and Methu was raised without any allegiance to the man. Cales played his cards and made it clear what he expected, and Methu saw rebelling against it would just lead to his destruction. He played along, Cales too confident to see through the lie.

Methu was heartbroken, distraught, and suicidal when he learned he was deprived of all the creature comforts he had before. Cales showed him blood and power, and nothing he had enjoyed before could compare. He stayed with Cales for decades, the rest of Cales' swarm falling and new members rising, but Methu learned how to survive in his condition. Once he had thought he learned everything, he got his revenge for being changed against his will: he killed Cales and his swarm and ventured out on his own for another decade -- finding enjoyment and excitement where he could, which was gradually becoming more in the destruction of those would try to stop him.

His first time tasting a soul was an accident. A momentary experience during his normal routine that awakened him to a whole new world. From there his travels took him directly towards sources of arcane and necromantic lore. He learned more about his target, more about how to take it from his victims and drink it down. He grows more addicted to his new preference; blood is simply dressing and garnish to getting to the soul of his victims. It gives him more power and strength, while also giving him sensations reminiscent to the comforts he remembered from being alive.

Graz'zt, The Dark Prince, caught rumor or word of Methu. His minions contacted Methu and made a deal -- Methu's service for his returned mortality. It was supposed to be a trick that his mortality would make him into a demon, not back to what he was originally, but Methu didn't question it. Nor was he unhappy with his new form once the ritual was complete and the deal was made. His new form didn't need to eat or drink, but could. He was stronger than he ever was before, but able to enjoy all the pleasures the world could offer: food, drink, drugs, sex, blood, souls, and of course power. Methu the Imbiber's celebration was one of the largest celebrations many of the Abyss had seen: with many alliances made, rivalries founded, heirs conceived, and enemies killed.

Methu served Graz'zt for another thirty years, comfortable to live in Graz'zt's luxury if it meant the occasional work. When Lords fell and space became available, Methu decided that he could live even more comfortably on his own throne. He made Graz'zt think it was his idea to give Methu some autonomy. If Methu grabbed another seat and realm for himself while remaining loyal to Graz'zt, it would give the Dark Prince even more power. Now Methu is working on establishing his place, hopefully so that he can sit back and let somebody else do all the hard work...

Leadership: The Cult of the Piped Horns

Cult of the Piped Horns
Symbol: A view of curled ram's horns from the front, independent of any skull, with the horns textured with 'piping'. Each horn is grasped by a fist, fingers fitting into the piping as if made for that.

Leadership Score: 37
Followers (2x Included): 1st: 1,480 / 2nd: 148 / 3rd: 74 / 4th: 38 / 5th: 20 / 6th: 10 / 7th: 6 / 8th: 4 / 9th: 2
The Cult of the Piped Horn follows Methu the Imbiber and his message; the Demon Lord blurring the lines between high priest and god on earth. His followers typically come from the social elite, those rich enough to become jaded with earthly delights and seeking something greater. Members treat the Cult like a secret society or a Hellfire Club, wearing small trinkets and jewelry that only another member might recognize. The most iconic image is that of any sort of clutched or bound horn. The Cult's main symbol is supposed to be a thinly veiled assumption that the grip would most likely come from either fucking the Satyr from behind, or as handles used during oral sex. Service to Methu whether it is religious devotion, raw attraction, or some attempt to garner his favor, comes in the form of acquiring rare goods and information.

Membership and rumor of the Cult has grown across the Abyss, the Prime Material, as well as some of the more civilized cities in other planes. Celebrations are thrown regularly for any reason they can find, where the social elite and people of power meet to discuss and indulge in whatever depraved act. Social games and challenges are common, where everybody is attempting to use the collected masses to further their own power, without giving up any power in their own state. Those who try to 'cheat' the game by staying sober or offering no passion towards a vice are dealt with quickly; most commonly being used for another cultists pleasure in a way they couldn't find other volunteers. Cultists earn 'points' and 'ranks' that give nothing except the acclaim, and occasionally, overly verbose and floral titles that are ultimately useless are earned. Methu's Followers are made up mostly of Bards and Rogues, though Sorcerers/Wizards, Warlocks, and Clerics are not unheard of.

Rumors and myths about the Cult of the Piped Horn, and it's members, are common place in Courts across the planes. Many of these are started by members of the Cult itself in an effort to spread disinformation, or simply increase the mystique of a group others can't join. Those who threaten to expose or get too close to the cult are easily disposed of, usually turned into some sort of entertainment for the cult members themselves. Reginald Fischer is the acting leader of the cult in Methu's stead, acting as a 'switchboard' in members communicating, and in warning them about threats.

Cohort: His Grace, Juice of Plums Most Low, On High, Reginald Fischer

His Grace, Juice of Plums Most Low, On High, Reginald Fischer
Unseelie Fey Lesser Tiefling Prodigy
Wizard 5, Mage of the Arcane Order 10

Reginald Fischer, known without his verbose and irrelevant title to the rest of the world, was an uptight up and coming wizard. He tried to contain his fey natures and emotions that came from his twisted patronage to stay focused on his studies, which Methu took great pleasure in unraveling. Methu earned Reginald's fascination and adoration, and in return, he manipulated the Arcane Order to help Reginald rise up the ranks. Now that he's a Regent, he has the autonomy to act individually on 'thesis projects.'

He's now in charge of the Cult dedicated to Methu, helping members communicate and travel for meetings and celebrations. He used to hide his Tiefling features, but now openly displays them. His horns have been carved out with piping and ridges as per the cult's symbol. His wings have always been larger than other tiefling, a trait that could have come from either of his bloodlines.

Meade
Aspect of Excess

Aspects come in three types: The Spy, The Host, and The Enforcer. All of them resemble Satyr, but they always have larger horns than usual, both in thickness and length, and always have a layer of 'padding' that would come from a life of over indulgence, softening their muscle tone. There is always some visible symptom of their demonic origin, such as a red glint in the eyes, elongated fangs and nails, or darker patches of fur. Those familiar with the different types of Aspects might notice that The Spy are darker and smaller, The Host has lighter fur but is heavier, and The Enforcer is taller and broader with arms that seem a little too long.

Demon Qualities:
The Spy     
Alternate Form
At Will, Move Action, Take Animal forms from Tiny-Large
Children of the Night
Summon 1d6+1 Rat Swarms, 1d4+1 Bat Swarms, or 3d6 Wolves. Arrive in 2d6 rds, can share senses and communicate within 10 miles.

The Host     
Lesser Aura of Inebriation
30' Aura, WIL DC: 23. Enemies: Confusion, with Meade or Methu never counting as the closest target. Passing a save grants immunity for 24 hrs. Allies: Heroism.
Charm Person
At Will, Within Voice, Does not need Line of Sight. CL8, WIL DC 23.

The Enforcer     
Energy Drain
Deal 1 Negative Level per Touch. FOR DC: 23
Haste
Gain extra attack when taking a Full Attack Action as if Hasted. Does not stack with any similar effect.

Demon Specific Traits
Methu the Imbiber, Lord of Excess
Vampire Lord Satyr of Legend, Soul Eater 10 (tanar'ri)

Vampire Template = +2 CR, 0 HD
Vampire Lord = +3 CR, 0 HD
Monster of Legend = +2 CR, 0 HD
Satyr = +2 CR, 6 HD
10 Levels  Soul Eater= +5 CR, 10 HD
Demon Lord Template = +2 CR, 0 HD
Prodigy = +0CR, 0 HD
16 CR = 16 HD

Additional Spell-Like Abilities
   At-will - Glibness, Suggestion
   3/day - Symbol of Persuasion, Charm Monster, Greater Magic Fang
   1/day - Gaes/Quest, Limited Wish
Additional Weaknesses
Tomb-Tainted Soul (Ex) Though Methu the Imbiber was returned to life by Graz'zt, his body and soul still carry the taint of undeath from the time he spent as a vampire.  Whenever Methu is subjected to an effect for which it would be harmful or disadvantageous for him to count as an undead being (such as turn undead, a Command Undead spell, favored enemy (undead), or other such effects), that effect counts him as an intelligent undead being.
Drunk's Lethargy (Ex) Methu suffers a -10 to Natural Armor due to the toxins constantly saturating his body.
Aura of Inebriation (su) Methu has so entrenched and saturated himself with the euphoric high of indulgence that it permeates the very air around him. The best and worst features are pulled to the surface for those who are with or against him; enemies suffering from the debilitating confusion and allies enjoying the positive euphoria.
- 60' Aura. Enemies: WIL DC = 10 + 1/2 HD + Charisma. Failure = Confusion for 1rd, where Methu is never considered the closest person. Pass = Immune to Aura of Inebriation for 4 rds. Allies: Gain the effects of Heroism, WIL Negates (Harmless). Mind-Affecting.
Summon (sp)
1x Oculus Demons (20HD)

Oculus Demon (Expedition to the Demonweb Pits pg200)
Always CE Medium Outsider (chaotic, evil, extraplanar)
Init +9        Senses: All-around Vision, Darkvision 120'
Listen: +23     Spot: +31
Languages: Abyssal; Telepathy 100'
-----
AC: 28, Touch 19, Flat-footed 19; Dodge, Mobility (+9 Dex, +9 Nat)
HP: 340 (20HD)        DR: 10/Cold Iron & Good
Immune: Electricity, Fire, Poison
Resist: Acid 10, Cold 10              SR: 24
F/R/W: +21/+21/+14
-----
Speed: 30', Fly 70' (Perfect); Shot on the Run
Melee: +1 Unholy Longsword +27/+22/+17/+12 (1d8+7) and Claw +21 (1d8+3)
Ranged: 3 Eyebolts +29 Touch (3d8 + Special)
Base Atk: +20       Grp: +26
Atk Options: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Aligned Strike (Chaotic, Evil)
Special Actions: Eyebolts, Paralyzing Gaze
Spell-Like Abilities (CL20)
At WIll - Greater Arcane Sight, Blindness/Deafness, Detect Law, Dispel Magic, Invisibility, Dimension Door, Protection from Law, Tongues, True Seeing, Vampiric Touch.
3/day - Dispel Law, Chaos Hammer, Mirror Image
-----
Abilities: 23 / 28 / 28 / 10 / 10 / 12
Special Qualities: Negative Energy Affinity
Feats: Dodge, Improved Crit (longsword), Mobility, Point Black Shot, Precise Shot, Shot on the Run, Ability Focus (Eyebolts), Ability Focus (Paralyzing Gaze), Iron Will, Improved Natural Attack (Eyebolts)
Skills: Concentration +32, Hide +32, Move Silently +32, Spot +31, Listen +23, Search +31, Sense Motive +23, Intimidate +24
-----
All Around Vision (ex): Can't be flanked, +8 racial to Spot/Search.
Eyebolts: Fear/Mind Affecting, Free action that does not provoke, 3x 70' Rays for 2d8 Negative Energy Damage. Creature damaged must pass FOR DC 31 or be Sickened (-2 penalty to Attacks, Damage, STs, Skills, and Abilities for 1 hr). Sickened targets become panicked for 1d4 rds. Panicked becomes unconscious for 1d4 hrs.
Paralyzing Gaze (su) Fear/Mind Affecting, 30', Gaze, WIL DC 23 or be paralyzed for 1d4 rds. Pass grants immunity for 24 hrs.
Negative Energy Affinity (ex) Negative Energy Spells heal 1d10hp per spell level.

Connoisseur of Life (su) Methu's expertise in draining the very life essence from his targets, whether it is blood, emotions, or their soul, allows him to improvise new and exciting ways. Spells and magic items can't keep Methu's hunger at bay, and can't keep him from his meal.
- 60' Aura that removes any immunity to ability/energy drain that isn't inherent to a creature's Type. Any damage from ability/energy drain can not be healed within the aura. Methu can choose targets to be immune to this effect.
Guardian Souls (su) Methu has devoured countless victims in his decades of decadence. Many of those souls were loyal to him; either through love, infatuation, or religious devotion. Those souls still seek to protect and benefit him, and the essence of the devotee's souls form a wreathe or a crown around his head and offer him protection with telepathic warnings of his surroundings.
- The Guardian Souls exist around Methu constantly, giving him a Profane Bonus equal to his Charisma mod towards Spot, Listen, and Initiative. They also make it so that any Negative Energy Damage that Methu suffers heals him instead of damaging him, and grants Methu immunity to any Negative Energy Effects, including Death Effects. The Guardian Souls can be affected by Turn/Rebuke Undead. They're treated as a single Undead with Methu's HD, and if Turned/Rebuked, go inactive for 1d10 rounds.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Lockepick

BEHOLD my formatting masterpiece.

Ended up not bothering with Item Familiar. Methu's skills are already pretty good where they're at.

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, Methu looks badass :). Anyways edited my sheet include history/background story for Volthran and how he plays the role as guy who helps gather the former evil overlords back together (and what artifact looks like, it's named as soul casket).

Green Goo Theory

So, from the two submitted characters it looks like a gish-type and a mixed martial/incarnum character?  Also!  What are the thoughts on the Cerebrosis feat (Dragon Magazine #330) and potentially using said feat with psionics instead of spellcasting?  Or does that drift too far away thematically? 

Edit:  What about Thrallherd? 
Coming soon...

Kunoichi

Quote from: Lockepick on February 01, 2018, 06:51:38 PM
BEHOLD my formatting masterpiece.

Ended up not bothering with Item Familiar. Methu's skills are already pretty good where they're at.

Looks pretty good.  The only changes I’d say it needs are to note that the Aura of Inebriation is a mind-affecting compulsion effect, and to drop the range on Connoisseur of Life down to 60 ft (which shouldn’t pose Methu himself much trouble, given his melee focus).

Quote from: Green Goo Theory on February 01, 2018, 07:08:06 PM
So, from the two submitted characters it looks like a gish-type and a mixed martial/incarnum character?  Also!  What are the thoughts on the Cerebrosis feat (Dragon Magazine #330) and potentially using said feat with psionics instead of spellcasting?  Or does that drift too far away thematically? 

Edit:  What about Thrallherd? 

I’ll need to take a closer look at Cerebrosis when I get home before I can say anything about it.  Thrallherd is allowed, however.

Re Z L

Hmmm...I really like how most of Nyag'oth came together before, I think I'll work on some modifications, see if anything else strikes my fancy  :)

Should get something together within the next couple days
A&A

LizzieV

Okay, updated my weakness, dropped monk, added a second weakness, and my unbuffed AC is now 40.
O/O

Kunoichi

Quote from: LizzieV on February 01, 2018, 07:44:13 PM
Okay, updated my weakness, dropped monk, added a second weakness, and my unbuffed AC is now 40.

Excellent. ^^ Your character is coming along nicely.

Now I just need to figure out whether I want to use my character from the last game, or create a new one...

PhantomPistoleer

Okay -- please let me know if my character concept is legal.

THINGHDCR
Factotum 1616+8
Magister Template--+4
Monster of Legend--+2
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Lockepick

@Kunoichi:
RE: Connoisseur of Life -- For Methu 1.0, you acutally upped it from 60' -> 120' because it was similar to Shaktari the Queen of Mariliths' Aura of Toxin effect (which is 120'). That being said, I can drop it down to 60' anyway -- just thought I'd remind of that justification.

RE: Aura of Inebriation -- Makes sense! It's a little scary since SO much is immune to Mind-Affecting, but so it goes! I'll make the edit!

Kunoichi

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on February 01, 2018, 10:02:41 PM
Okay -- please let me know if my character concept is legal.

THINGHDCR
Factotum 1616+8
Magister Template--+4
Monster of Legend--+2

Hmm.  From what I understand of how the CR system works, you could take a basic humanoid race intended for PCs like a human, elf or what have you and it would effectively be CR 0 for these purposes.  I’m guessing that’s what you’re aiming for?  Your build would be legal, in that case.

That said, please be careful about which 9th-level spell you choose for your Magister-granted spell-like abilities.  Something like Wish or Genesis would be too strong a choice, but something like True Resurrection or Disjunction would be alright.

Quote from: Lockepick on February 01, 2018, 10:28:49 PM
@Kunoichi:
RE: Connoisseur of Life -- For Methu 1.0, you acutally upped it from 60' -> 120' because it was similar to Shaktari the Queen of Mariliths' Aura of Toxin effect (which is 120'). That being said, I can drop it down to 60' anyway -- just thought I'd remind of that justification.

RE: Aura of Inebriation -- Makes sense! It's a little scary since SO much is immune to Mind-Affecting, but so it goes! I'll make the edit!

I remember.  I’m trying to aim for a slightly lower power level this time around, so dropping it back down to 60’ brings it more in line with abilities typical of high level non-epic monsters.

True.  The built-in Heroism effect should at least still make it helpful for the rest of the party, however.

Edit: Though, going back to Connoisseur of Life, that does remind me...

Quote from: Sain on February 01, 2018, 04:58:46 PM
Deep Luminescence (Su):
As a free action, Ungrath can ignite a series of small iridescent lights on her body, producing brilliant patterns of dancing, shimmering light. When this ability is activated, the 5-foot square in the front section of her body is illuminated, with shadowy illumination stretching for an additional 5-foot radius. However, the effect also suppresses other light in a 100 ft radius, covering it in magical darkness (the illuminated area remains visible even through the darkness). When activated this ability increases the DC of Ungrath's enchantment spell-like abilities by 3 and allows them to function on creatures otherwise immune to them. However, Deep Luminescence does not affect constructs, undead, or mindless creatures.

Sain, this ability should probably be lowered down to a 60 ft range as well. ^^;

TheGlyphstone

Proposals for my unique abilities, now that I've got a concept narrowed down a bit.

Special Attack
Dream Eater (Su): Galyxx draws sustenance from the hopes and dreams of its victims, devouring their psyche a piece at a time until they are left an empty shell devoid of consciousness or motivation. It can substitute Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma drain for extra dice of damage when making a sneak attack, dealing 1 point of drain for each die of damage it gives up and healing 5 HP for each point dealt in this manner. This bypasses immunities to ability damage or drain, and functions even on creatures otherwise immune to precision damage such as undead and elementals
Source: Built off the Soulknife's Knife To The Soul ability, swapping Psychic Strike for Sneak Attack, blended with features of the Ghost template's Draining Touch ability. 

Special Quality
What Never Lived Cannot Die: Coalesced from the fragmented nightmares of a dead god, Galyxx exists in a curious half-state between life and undeath. It retains the Outsider type and features, but has all the traits listed for the Undead type, substituting its Charisma modifier for Constitution to determine hit points. In addition, it is entirely immune to both positive and negative energy - it cannot be healed or damaged by either type, or can it be turned or rebuked. If destroyed, it will reform on its home layer after 2d4 weeks with a successful check of 1d20+Hit Dice against DC16.
Source:Essentially the Dry Lich feature of the Walker in The Wastes prestige class, substituting a Ghost's Rejuvenation ability for the usual lich's phylactery. The positive-negative exemption is mostly to add emphasis to the theme, and give an additional reason to use Dream Eater.

Kunoichi

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 01, 2018, 11:52:32 PM
Proposals for my unique abilities, now that I've got a concept narrowed down a bit.

Special Attack
Dream Eater (Su): Galyxx draws sustenance from the hopes and dreams of its victims, devouring their psyche a piece at a time until they are left an empty shell devoid of consciousness or motivation. It can substitute Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma drain for extra dice of damage when making a sneak attack, dealing 1 point of drain for each die of damage it gives up and healing 5 HP for each point dealt in this manner. This bypasses immunities to ability damage or drain, and functions even on creatures otherwise immune to precision damage such as undead and elementals
Source: Built off the Soulknife's Knife To The Soul ability, swapping Psychic Strike for Sneak Attack, blended with features of the Ghost template's Draining Touch ability.

If it's based off of Knife to the Soul, I think that keeping it as ability damage should be enough, since you're already getting to bypass immunities to ability damage and use an attack roll instead of a save DC.  How high a Sneak Attack is Galyxx going to have?

Special Quality
What Never Lived Cannot Die: Coalesced from the fragmented nightmares of a dead god, Galyxx exists in a curious half-state between life and undeath. It retains the Outsider type and features, but has all the traits listed for the Undead type, substituting its Charisma modifier for Constitution to determine hit points. In addition, it is entirely immune to both positive and negative energy - it cannot be healed or damaged by either type, or can it be turned or rebuked. If destroyed, it will reform on its home layer after 2d4 weeks with a successful check of 1d20+Hit Dice against DC16.
Source:Essentially the Dry Lich feature of the Walker in The Wastes prestige class, substituting a Ghost's Rejuvenation ability for the usual lich's phylactery. The positive-negative exemption is mostly to add emphasis to the theme, and give an additional reason to use Dream Eater.

Hmm.  The one big problem is that phylacteries need to be protected, while the Ghost's rejuvenation ability, as-written, has no real downsides once you reach a high enough level to auto-succeed on the check.  I suppose it's ultimately not that big a deal, since being taken out of the action for 2d4 weeks will still be a bit of a setback, especially at the pace that play-by-post games go...

Zaer, what are your thoughts on this one?

TheGlyphstone

Mostly, i figured that with the resources at our disposal, protecting a phylactery isnt hard. Plus, there is one big difference that Rejuvenation still leaves me vulnerable to effects like Trap The Soul, which a lich is immune to since their soul is in the phylactery.So its still a tradeoff of sorts.

Ability damage is fine, though id note that knife to the soul also uses an attack roll since its a psychic strike enhancer. Not sure on my SA dice, im using a Guecubu chassis (4 HD), that leaves 12 class levels to fill. To be fair, I'll self cap at 8d6, the max a 15th level rogue could get.

Kimera

Working on a beholder girl at the moment as main concept.

I also have a secondary idea, but might be a bit more difficult to work with.