Time?

Started by BitterSweet, October 14, 2012, 12:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BitterSweet

I can't seem to get my time to show up correctly. I'm Pacific Standard Time (west coast us) which should be GMT -8 but... it's never right for me.  And, if I do manage to get it corrected, will other people's posts show up in my time or in theirs?

Lilias

You can change forum time through your profile (Look and Layout > Time offset). Unless you do so, everything shows in server time, which is GMT-6.

After adjustment, all timestamps appear according to your own time settings.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

BitterSweet

I do have my time set at GMT -8 and the time is shows on my post is like ... 6:20 am, when it's actually 12:20 pm here.

BitterSweet

Oh wait - I changed it to GMT-2, to adjust for the base timezone the forum is in and I think I've got the correct time now.

ETA: that's correct.  That isn't very clear on the layout - that you need to adjust to inlude the forum base time.

Oniya

Just went to look at this myself, and it doesn't actually say 'GMT-2' - it specifies 'offset' and gives what the current server time is as a guideline.  I also just noticed an 'autodetect' link next to the input box, which also worked nicely.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

If at first you don't succeed keep changing the number until it works?

BitterSweet

I assumed offset from GMT 0, which has been usual in other forums I've been on (since, for example, I had no idea what timezone the forum is based in).  When it auto-detected, it did give me -2 but I (also incorrectly) assumed that when I saved the change it would should the accurate time in the example near the box - but that's a fixed example that just shows how the format would look, not the actual time.

Beguile's Mistress

It seems there are several methods sites use for setting time and if you have a suggestion, since our owner is working on new programming you could include that in the Feature Request Thread.

We love hearing your ideas. :-)