Interest Check: A Modern Mage role play.

Started by Inkidu, July 18, 2008, 09:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Just seeing if anyone would want to do a modern magic role play. If I can get a couple of people interested. I'll give up some plot.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Dramo

Though i'm not approved yet (*peers at people for more questions in his intro thread*)  I'd be interested in this after hearing a bit more

HairyHeretic

You talking the White Wolf game Mage, or something in the Urban Fantasy genre?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Inkidu

White Wolf? You mean Geralt of Rivia. Witcher stuff? No it's a Modern Magic role play. But I'm putting this on hold till I can come up with something more concrete. I was sitting here waiting for replys so long I blew like ten holes in my own idea.  :P
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

shadowheart

Inkidu

shadowheart

Then count me interested.  A good modern/fantasy fusion sounds like a fun time, particularly freeform. :)

OK, next question, what rating are we talking about? :P

Inkidu

Quote from: shadowheart on July 20, 2008, 08:29:31 PM
Then count me interested.  A good modern/fantasy fusion sounds like a fun time, particularly freeform. :)

OK, next question, what rating are we talking about? :P
Sorry I'm going to have to get back to you on that I've uh kind of punched a hole in my own idea and am going to need to come up with a new one.

shadowheart

Oops! :)

Well, darnit.  Ahhh well.  Better luck next time.

Inkidu

I'm trying to decide whether or not to make it like the Dresden Files where magic has spells and rules, or mages have one power. Like fire, necromancy or water.

shadowheart

Oh cool!  Scared me for a second there. :)

Could be interesting either way.  If it involves spells (sorry don't know the Dresden Files) then there's more study, learning new magics, acquiring ancient tomes, etc. etc.  With one power it'd be interesting too, less study since magic would probably be a 'gift' rather than a skill.

Interesting indeed...

Inkidu

Yeah but I want the right and wrong ways to use magic to really stand out and I think study would be better because it's has off limits magic as opposed to a gift style where it wont.

shadowheart

Indeed .. plus the study option has the possibility of accidentally (or not so accidentally) coming across That Which Should Not be Known. *g*

Ok, I am (still/again) in and think the limited, spell-based magic idea is a winner.

Just hope for one or two others to make it hop as it were.

Inkidu

I thought I would keep it Van-h but I guess I could go NC-H if I wanted it gritty enough.

shadowheart

Either rating works.  With magics there are possibilities (like mind control) that go beyond the van-h board.  But it is your call and I am in either way

Dramo

As a new member, I'd be interested, but i'm interested in a lot, and more details would help me decide where to dedicate myself

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Inkedu on July 20, 2008, 09:12:07 PM
Yeah but I want the right and wrong ways to use magic to really stand out

The casters intent is generally what tends to determine 'right' and 'wrong' uses of magic. Of course, some magics are easier to turn dark than others.

Quote from: Inkedu on July 20, 2008, 09:12:07 PM
and I think study would be better because it's has off limits magic as opposed to a gift style where it wont.

I'd say go with study. Inate ability can certainly help, but the two combined is what will take you places.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on July 21, 2008, 01:06:57 PM
The casters intent is generally what tends to determine 'right' and 'wrong' uses of magic. Of course, some magics are easier to turn dark than others.

I'd say go with study. Inate ability can certainly help, but the two combined is what will take you places.
Well there are no's if I take that road necromancy and thaumaturge to name a couple.

HairyHeretic

I can think of a few positive uses for necromancy, off the top of my head, but it depends if you're going with simply the reanimation of a corpse, or the drawing back of the spirit. If you deal with the spirit, it becomes easier to find positive uses.

And thaumaturge I'm not sure I recognise offhand.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on July 21, 2008, 01:19:35 PM
I can think of a few positive uses for necromancy, off the top of my head, but it depends if you're going with simply the reanimation of a corpse, or the drawing back of the spirit. If you deal with the spirit, it becomes easier to find positive uses.

And thaumaturge I'm not sure I recognise offhand.
Necromancy often require defamation of natural courses and thaumaturge is the study of doing miracles or in this case apocalyptic magic. 

HairyHeretic

Still not getting a real good idea on the thaumaturge here. What exactly do you mean by apocalytic magic? Hideously powerfully distructive spells? Nuclear blast fireballs and such?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on July 21, 2008, 01:52:16 PM
Still not getting a real good idea on the thaumaturge here. What exactly do you mean by apocalytic magic? Hideously powerfully distructive spells? Nuclear blast fireballs and such?
Making someone's heart explode in their chest while they're in New York and you're in Chicago. Things that require human sacrifice, ancient powerful magic of Biblical proportions.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

To be honest with you guys this is a back burner deal. I'm actually working on a Space Combat game. You'll find it in this forum if you're interested.