League of Uncomfortably Seductive Travelers (interest check)

Started by Nowherewoman, December 17, 2015, 03:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angie

I personally think your skinny ass is just fine. Not sure how that helps, but...
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Nowherewoman

And now I see that somehow my beginnings of notes for the various Empires did not get saved. *headdesk*  Truly, I am jinxed.

But at least someone likes my butt ;D
Instead of obsessing on the person you want to be, focus on who you DON'T want to be. It's much easier to not do certain things than to break your head on some ideal of yourself.

When the dust settles, you may find out you've become who you were supposed to be all along.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Dhi

Nowherewoman

That's excellent, Crash. A bit bigger than Her Grace's airship, but very much the right idea.
Instead of obsessing on the person you want to be, focus on who you DON'T want to be. It's much easier to not do certain things than to break your head on some ideal of yourself.

When the dust settles, you may find out you've become who you were supposed to be all along.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

Crash

Thanks Nowhere and Dhi.  Graf Zepplin may be more the right size. I'll see if I can't dig up some of those deck plans.

Smaller deck plans

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Chrystal

Wow, cool. Love those ship plans.

Okay, NW, a suggestion?

Start us off in Liverpool or Southampton, NOT London.

London was never a major port city, because of being way inland on the Thames. I know we are talking airships rather than surface ships, but without WWII, there would be no airfields across the south of England, and thus there would be no Heathrow Airport, no Gatwick, no Luton and no Stansted.

Port facilities would simply have migrated upwards from surface vessels to airborne vessels. In fact, it would be quite likely that airships would touch down in the sea first and then dock with the regular ship docks...

I draw your attention to the first trans-Atlantic passenger flights, which were made by flying boats (the same as a sea-plane but the other way on... A boat with wings rather than a plane with floats) from Southampton to New York...? 

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Angie

To add on to that point, Final Fantasy 3 has an airship that can only "land" on the seas-at one point Cid upgrades your regular ship into an airship and tells you since it was a sea ship before, it has to touchdown in the sea. I can see a lot of the airships in this world behaving similarly, or at least having the ability to make an 'emergency splashdown'.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Esmeralgirl

All the details are going awesome :-) So when are you planning to make a character thread ?

Nowherewoman

Emergency spashdown, sure. But since a lighter-than-air airship relies on maintaining a level of lift, landing it on water would not work. Well, it WOULD, but it would be a screaming PITA. You'd essentially have to collapse the gasbag, which would then settle over the compartment, quite likely capsizing it, since the cross-setiton of the cargo and living compartment is substantially less than that of the gasbag...even assuming you had some way of keeping the thing rigid and upright during and after such a landing, it would then take you quite some time to regain your lift; in fact, if you used a hydrogen or helium bag, the gas would have to be transported to your landing sport and pumped in- not impossible, but difficult on water.

Nowherewoman

Quote from: Esmeralgirl on December 30, 2015, 09:27:07 PM
All the details are going awesome :-) So when are you planning to make a character thread ?

Not for a bit. I still need to straighten out some details in my own head, and make sure folks have all the data they need about the world.

Chrystal

Quote from: Nowherewoman on December 30, 2015, 09:28:48 PM
Emergency spashdown, sure. But since a lighter-than-air airship relies on maintaining a level of lift, landing it on water would not work. Well, it WOULD, but it would be a screaming PITA. You'd essentially have to collapse the gasbag, which would then settle over the compartment, quite likely capsizing it, since the cross-setiton of the cargo and living compartment is substantially less than that of the gasbag...even assuming you had some way of keeping the thing rigid and upright during and after such a landing, it would then take you quite some time to regain your lift; in fact, if you used a hydrogen or helium bag, the gas would have to be transported to your landing sport and pumped in- not impossible, but difficult on water.

separate points here...

1) Landing on water for an aircraft that takes off and lands vertically is no different whatever than landing on land. You have to loose buoyancy some how, regardless of what is directly underneath you, and become heavier than the air around you. However, you don't have to deflate the gas bag entirely. Once on the surface of the sea, or on the land, you return to neutral buoyancy.

2) Actually airships gain lift in exactly the same way as harrier jump jets. They have thrusters that point down and back, which are capable of being reversed. So to push the aircraft down all you do is reverse thrust on the fans that would normally push it up. Then once you get close enough you drop your mooring lines and the dock crew secure the ship so it can't float away...

3) Actually if you use hydrogen you can refill your lift bags from the ocean, simply by passing an electric current through the water, and collecting the gas that comes off the negative electrode (I think). The other electrode is going to have a nasty mix of oxygen and chlorine if you're using sea water, though, so best to vent that outside the ship.

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Esmeralgirl

Quote from: Nowherewoman on December 30, 2015, 09:29:20 PM

Not for a bit. I still need to straighten out some details in my own head, and make sure folks have all the data they need about the world.

That's great :-) More the details, Vivid the world is and more fun. Keep up the thinking girl.

Quote from: Chrystal on December 30, 2015, 09:51:38 PM
separate points here...

1) Landing on water for an aircraft that takes off and lands vertically is no different whatever than landing on land. You have to loose buoyancy some how, regardless of what is directly underneath you, and become heavier than the air around you. However, you don't have to deflate the gas bag entirely. Once on the surface of the sea, or on the land, you return to neutral buoyancy.

2) Actually airships gain lift in exactly the same way as harrier jump jets. They have thrusters that point down and back, which are capable of being reversed. So to push the aircraft down all you do is reverse thrust on the fans that would normally push it up. Then once you get close enough you drop your mooring lines and the dock crew secure the ship so it can't float away...

3) Actually if you use hydrogen you can refill your lift bags from the ocean, simply by passing an electric current through the water, and collecting the gas that comes off the negative electrode (I think). The other electrode is going to have a nasty mix of oxygen and chlorine if you're using sea water, though, so best to vent that outside the ship.

Sounds fascinating Crystal darling. Although I've no idea of physics lol. It hates me.

Crash

Ooo I think I might have to use this lovely lady for my character.  I feel she has a story.