Where would you sell mature art?

Started by camtipli, November 28, 2010, 08:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camtipli

I don't know where to ask this properly and it's hard to research without finding things I'm not looking for, so please excuse me if this is not the place to ask this question, but where would I go to sell more adult-themed works of art in which it is okay and legal to do so, with a lesser chance of selling it to underage parties? And where the transaction can have some security, I guess? And in these cases, is it legal to sell fanart if it is requested?

I don't know how ignorant these questions sound, but I know this is a subject that in general I am very new in, so I'm trying to be careful in asking. If there is already a forum/site about this, please direct me toward it. :) I appreciate your time and help!

Pumpkin Seeds

Saerrael

Last I heard Deviant Art does not allow users to post adult material (full nude, sexual acts)

Vekseid

Kendra

Hi Camtipli,

You could try here ... http://www.eroticart.com/main.html

and e-bay strangely enough do sell adult themed art

you should also take a look here .. http://worldoftomoffinland.com/

hope any of these helps
:)

K

Blitzy

DeviantArt has a mature filter, and full nudity is allowed. Sex, however, is not. Nor is any kind of 'arousal'. So no erections and such.
One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

Noelle

Ehh, even DeviantArt's policies are a little grey. I've seen some of the more popular artists (especially orpheelin) push the boundaries and then complain incessantly when some of it gets removed, though in a lot of cases, it does stay for whatever reason. There's an especially bad epidemic of especially cheap and tasteless, blatant cock-and-pussy shots that look more like they belong on the Myspace of genitalia than it does on a site promoting art. Unfortunately, with the "art" part of their name, they have to be careful of what they choose to keep and what has to go -- the adult filter certainly helps, and they also have an entire photography section for fetish material, so they're obviously not totally against sexual content (and one of my own risque pieces still remains untouched in my gallery), and they can't exactly discriminate on grounds of technical execution, either, or else aspiring artists who aren't terribly skilled, but are learning would be totally out. That's the beauty of having something as broad and undefined as 'art', I guess.

That being said, I have yet to find an avenue that is really best for selling art online. Adult art or no, I wouldn't recommend dA as your primary source...A lot of your success there relies on your advertisement elsewhere or your internal popularity with the community. I've done okay for myself there, but I had to do a ton of advertisement at other forums I frequent in order to direct attention at my dA page and also had my own friends on dA advertise me in exchange for me linking back to them. Add that in with dA's hit-or-miss adult content policy and you may find that it's not worth the headache.

You can try Etsy and eBay, though I think those services typically rely more on you sending out a physical copy, so if that's something you're considering, you could definitely try selling originals and commissions alike over there. Etsy, I think, is probably going to be easier to promote than eBay. I've really only seen friends of mine who are closer to professional status have any real success with eBay.

Depending on your genre of art, you might get lucky with Furbid...As the name implies, it's for furry art, and I'm pretty sure it can be sexual in content. Some of my friends who have dabbled in furries say the Furcadia community is especially profitable. Otherwise, I've sold art through forums I frequent -- be it MMOs I play/have played, video games I enjoy, or even the RP/writing places I post on. It can be time-consuming, it's important to build rapport and not just show up and say HI BUY MY ART, but you can sometimes find that if you establish yourself in a forum and garner the right attention without getting discouraged, it's easier to find clientele in your niche. And obviously, the more flexible you are with what you can draw and what genres you get into, that also opens up your options quite a bit.

Vekseid

Quote from: Kendra on November 29, 2010, 05:24:14 AM
Hi Camtipli,

You could try here ... *snip links*

hope any of these helps
:)

K

Neither of those are really viable.

1) They're both ridiculously tiny. Neither has an audience of note.
2) They both don't have any real art store whatsoever.

People would do better just offering their art for sale in private here. Actually I know a few people have sold commissions through Elliquiy so I could say people already are doing better.

TheAnimeFanGirl

I'm also looking for a place to sell/post mature art. If anyone knows of a decent site, could you let me know? Thanks. =)

By the way, I checked those sites as well. I need something more like deviantArt but that actually allows sexual images. Don't even mention Hentai Foundry. Tried and failed, and I don't believe there's a selling option there.
Cid the Lilty ♥ Viraveth the Selkie

(PM me if you'd like to rp with me in instant messengers)

Characters I'd like others to rp as

Sensual Animation, my forum dedicated to the sensual side of animation. Feel free to join.

DarklingAlice

Another possibility, highly dependent on your location, is to sell art offline. I know Santa Fe has (or had) several dedicated erotic galleries, and I believe that certain anime/sci-fi/fantasy cons, depending on your type of art, allow vendors to sell adult material during certain hours or in certain dedicated rooms.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Noelle

Quote from: TheAnimeFanGirl on November 29, 2010, 05:34:12 PM
I'm also looking for a place to sell/post mature art. If anyone knows of a decent site, could you let me know? Thanks. =)

As far as posting goes, I encourage you to add to the art forums here...I post my own art in that section and occasionally drop by the other artists' threads to peruse and occasionally offer critique if it's wanted. We could always use more artists ;P

As Vekseid mentioned, selling is allowed too, and I've made a little bit off of commissions from fellow members here, so you can always try your luck here if/until you find a place that better suits your needs.

TheAnimeFanGirl

I could possibly try this anime convention that's close to home, but I'd really like somewhere to sell online as well. I'll keep in mind trying here sometime though.
Cid the Lilty ♥ Viraveth the Selkie

(PM me if you'd like to rp with me in instant messengers)

Characters I'd like others to rp as

Sensual Animation, my forum dedicated to the sensual side of animation. Feel free to join.

Oniya

Use the anime convention to get your name out there.  Heck, use any appropriate convention to get your name out there.  Before you go, though, hit your local office supply store and get some printable business cards.  Do up a small sample of your style to 'decorate' the card with (keep that one PG-13) though.  Set up an email address just for art sales, and print it on the card.  Hand out the cards to anyone who looks interested (ask to see ID first).  If they ask for a quote, write it on the back of the card.  I'd recommend sticking with original characters for sales, just to avoid any possible legal issues (some artists are less rigid about fanart of their characters than others, but better safe than sorry.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vekseid

I want to start up an e-publishing house, myself, but it's pretty clear that
1) It would either have to start with selling non-adult material, with adult material on the side or
2) Let ccBill eat 15% of revenue. They haven't gotten back to me, however, plus it involves a credit check and my credit rating is horrible. Will be until I get another ten-twenty $k.
3) Setup my own merchant gateway. That would be in the half million range.

camtipli

Wow, everybody gives such helpful answers with such politeness! It makes me so happy I feel like crying! I would love to sell art here, actually. I just didn't know that was legal or allowed!