WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaoticSky

QuoteWell, yeah. Seems a bit childish. That, and the yiffing.
Ugh, dont tell me your one of those, the 4chan impression of Space Wolves is not the least bit valid. Every chapter is different (except smurfs and co), and SWs just happen to be A) based on Vikings and B) one of few chapters that have a care for the humans around them. If one is tired of space marines who are 1dimensional killing machines, then SWs are one of the best go-to chapters because they have alot of good fiction about them, while other chapters who might be even better (like my favourites, the Salamanders) either have little or bad fiction.

And they are neither childish (atleased compared to the notion of space marines in general) nor themed around rebellion against authority. They had exactly two spats with the imperium in the last 10k years. Yes they were a big deal, but neither was to the tone of a angsty teenager rebelling against daddy. The first time was because they were ordered to participate in the extermination of billions of people they literally just saved, including the Guardsmen who had fought alongside them with distinction and honour, and took exception to that order. The second was because the Ecclesiarchy decided to assault their homeworld. Frankly, i hope to god you would do the same in their position.

There is no yiffing, they are not furries and most of them dont have anything to do with wolves other than wearing a picture of one on their shoulders. A handful ride wolves or fight alongside them, but thats like accusing all humans of being furries because some people ride horses.

Xanatos

Quote from: arkhos on August 23, 2015, 01:37:38 PM
Ahh, you said the words made of kryptonite... MTG! I used to be big into it myself, and buying those quiet little booster packs adds up -fast-. WotC 'tapped' (ha ha!) into that 'Christmas morning feeling' with every pack. It can be mega-addicting. ;)

Out of all the Marine chapters, I would definitely play SW if I was forced (at gunpoint) to play one. They do seem to 'buck the trend' when it comes to playing sycophant groups of prayer-muttering super-humans.

And they ride giant wolves. That's gotta count for -something-. :)

That said, SW are my most common 40K opponent at the moment, and that cav is super nasty for certain.

@Beorning

D&D was my first game system, my first love, and I played it for about 8 years before touching my first minis game (Blood Bowl). RPG's really are pretty cheap in comparison, in most cases, to GW games. I learned that the hard way in 1989. LOL! :)

-ark

Oh yeah! I feel you. Opening a booster pack can be very addicting. Just hoping to score one of those rares, or now they have Mythic Rares as well... heh. Totally addicting. I still like to play. I like the game a lot. Just have to stay away from buying too much XD.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the overall Armored Space Soldier concept. I'm a big fan of Starship Troopers. I'm one of the few people I know of who enjoyed the book. And one of the greatest times I've had Role Playing was with the Starship Troopers RPG. A surprisingly balanced version of the d20 ruleset. I GMed for my group and we had a blast while it lasted. So nothing against armored dudes blowing up aliens. I just find the portrayal, at times, to be the boring part. Yet if I find a portrayal that sparks my interest, I'll give it a chance.

Ooo, Chaotic... you just made me interested in Space Wolves lol! Now that is more a group down my alley. Willingness to stand up against orders like that is a big plus to me. I hate blind loyalty to following orders. Now, yes, the Sisters of Battle are probably quite guilty of that, but they fall into an extreme. And sometimes I like writing in such extremes for a different take on things. So yeah, anyway, I'll have to check out those SW dudes.

CountessJess

QuoteUgh, dont tell me your one of those, the 4chan impression of Space Wolves is not the least bit valid. Every chapter is different (except smurfs and co), and SWs just happen to be A) based on Vikings and B) one of few chapters that have a care for the humans around them. If one is tired of space marines who are 1dimensional killing machines, then SWs are one of the best go-to chapters because they have alot of good fiction about them, while other chapters who might be even better (like my favourites, the Salamanders) either have little or bad fiction.

And they are neither childish (atleased compared to the notion of space marines in general) nor themed around rebellion against authority. They had exactly two spats with the imperium in the last 10k years. Yes they were a big deal, but neither was to the tone of a angsty teenager rebelling against daddy. The first time was because they were ordered to participate in the extermination of billions of people they literally just saved, including the Guardsmen who had fought alongside them with distinction and honour, and took exception to that order. The second was because the Ecclesiarchy decided to assault their homeworld. Frankly, i hope to god you would do the same in their position.

There is no yiffing, they are not furries and most of them dont have anything to do with wolves other than wearing a picture of one on their shoulders. A handful ride wolves or fight alongside them, but thats like accusing all humans of being furries because some people ride horses.

I don't find Space Wolves childish; I find it childish to like them purely because they stand up to big bad Imperium because they're so special snowflake. I'm not saying that you're childish, I'm just basing this off my experience with Space Wolf players, that by and large most people who play Space Wolves feel some, if not all of the following: 1) Look, I'm not playing boring Ultramarines, I'm so cool, 2) Guys I'm so strong I can fight the Imperium's enemies as well as the Imperium's toadies and I'm too badass to lose, 3) Wolvessssssssssssssssssssss HURRDURRLOL.

It seems that all the most obnoxious bits of the marine fanbase end up in the Space Wolves eventually. People who play Ultramarines (the ones who paint up full armies, not the summer kids who get their parents to buy them a force then quit after a month) tend to be super cool people, and even Grey Knights players tend to know that certain parts of their faction are pretty dumb and don't mention them. Space Wolf players though...although I might be out of the loop. Haven't stepped into a tabletop place for a couple of years already.

And there's a lot to do with wolves in their fluff. Between Wolf Cavalry and the Curse of the Wulfen and the raised-by-wolves backstory of Leman Russ and the wolf capes and that 3/4 of the unit names and ranks have some variation of wolf/fang/claw, honestly speaking, they seem to be less Viking and more wolf. Space Wolves are defined more by the Wolf and less by the raiding Lindisfarne kind of thing.

TheGlyphstone

Salamanders are best Marines. They're the only Chapter still standing that remembers the original purpose that the God-Emperor designed the Adeptus Astartes for - serving humanity, not the other way round. Even the Space Wolves shut themselves away in a big isolated fortress, and for all their benevolence the Ultramarines are still tyrants within their pocket realm. The sons of Vulkan, on the other hand, actually live amongst their people when they're not deployed, often with their actual human relatives and extended families.

Xanatos

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/458311699555648922/

That link leads to some freaking amazingly painted Warhammer 40k mini's. Make sure to scroll down below, the ship pic for more mini's.

Also pinterest is an ass and requires you have an account to view their pictures. Fortunately, its free. So not a total ripoff, I suppose.

Wajin

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 23, 2015, 04:27:22 PM
Salamanders are best Marines. They're the only Chapter still standing that remembers the original purpose that the God-Emperor designed the Adeptus Astartes for - serving humanity, not the other way round. Even the Space Wolves shut themselves away in a big isolated fortress, and for all their benevolence the Ultramarines are still tyrants within their pocket realm. The sons of Vulkan, on the other hand, actually live amongst their people when they're not deployed, often with their actual human relatives and extended families.

I like the Salamanders for those reasons, and for so many others, including the fact, that the Emperor and Horus was like "So... we know you guys like making the populace of the planets take over feel like part of the imperium... but yeah... we're gonna need you to speed up a bit, you're lacking behind" Also, I love how Vulkan left them a book, and they're like "These aren't puzzles, they're just names for shit, how the fuck are we supposed to figure out what these look like?" But then still go and pick a dude to go around the galaxy, being a badass, searching for some of the most powerful artifacts ever created by the imperium
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

Xanatos

Here is a origin story for an OC written by girl named Aicasse on Deviantart. Despite the numerous grammatical errors, the story is nice. It has 7 parts. A link to the next part is below each chunk of the story.

http://aicasse.deviantart.com/art/Ethinas-origin-part-1-297298103?

Xanatos

I ran into this image and it made me laugh good. It was titled...

Being an Inquisitor is Tough

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

arkhos

Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

ChaoticSky

Oniya

Quote from: ChaoticSky on September 04, 2015, 06:27:29 PM

:P

So that's what they mean by 'Don't turn around / Der Kommisar's in town.'

;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lustful Bride

Vermintide is basically Left 4 Dead: Rat Edition...yet...so addicting @3@  *feels money leaving wallet and tries to stop it* No! I thought what we had was special!

Also im sad that this crossover isn't a thing..

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Unless that one theory is true where Warhammer fantasy is actually the far..far..far future of 40K....which kind of makes the "Endtimes" all the more depressing.

Beorning

So, how's it going, folks? Anything interesting WH40K-related?

I admit I haven't done anything with it in these last few months...

arkhos

Yesterday I participated in a 40K Charity tournament. I'd only gotten to play 2 games of 40K this year so far, so I was rusty on the rules. It was 2000 points and did not use the standard missions from the book or anything. The organizer created random missions that we all played.

There were no prizes for winners. Everyone received a door-prize, and everyone received a 'completion' prize if you remained for the entire tournament. I think there was an award given for the best-painted army, and the organizer also had every person roll 20d6 and whoever rolled the most 1's got a prize. All in all, there were 12 slots (and they filled up very fast ahead of time), so that was like 26+ prizes from my recollection. A lot of it was stuff donated by another non-GW manufacturer, along with some store-credit vouchers.

Nice tables, nice terrain, and great fun. We were encouraged to bring 'fluffy' lists, and I think most people did. This was advertised as a NON 'competitive' tournament (as evidenced by the lack of prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd), though a few guys still came with the obvious killer-instinct and it showed.

I played an all-Harlequin list and had a ton of fun with it. I went 2-1, but very few people played the games a full 4 or more turns. My one loss was a brutal beat-down, and two more turns would likely have seen me tabled. My other two games were heavily in my favor when we stopped. The scenarios were pretty wacky. :)

There were 4x Ork players, 3x Tyranid players, a Blood Angels player, a Dark Angels player, a Night Lords player, a Necron player, and me.

All in all a good time, but after a 10-12 hour tournament, I am pretty 40K'd out for awhile, I think. My current real love is Infinity, and I've got lots of projects for that in the works. But I do enjoy 'fun' tournaments for charity. Good good stuff. :)

-ark
Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

eBadger

No 40k, but I got in a couple games of the new Malifaux last week.  Game play was pretty fun, might have to get back into that now that the new edition issues are over with. 

HairyHeretic

My FLGS is starting a 40k campaign, aimed more towards the casual / friendly game style than the competative, so I'm intending to take part in that.

Right now I'm trying to justify buy the Battle of Calth box set for all those lovely 30k plastic minis :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 10, 2015, 01:28:47 PM
My FLGS is starting a 40k campaign, aimed more towards the casual / friendly game style than the competative, so I'm intending to take part in that.

Right now I'm trying to justify buy the Battle of Calth box set for all those lovely 30k plastic minis :)

Wait until they go on sale to make room for the line of Warhammer 40K: Great Crusade miniatures and rulebooks. Then the Warhammer: Dark Age of Technology speciality line. Then they'll produce Warhammer 2K: Modern Soldiers, and Warhammer -1K: Adventures of the Emperor.

HairyHeretic

We already have the Great Crusade rules. That's what the Black Libraries Horus Heresy series are :)

And the fact they're so popular is what is prompting the plastic minis and the Battle for Calth.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Anyone picked up the Calth set yet then?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Okay, time for some thread necromancy! :)

So, how's it going for you guys, 40K-wise? Any interesting buys, miniatures painted etc.?

I haven't painted anything in the last few months :( Somehow, I can't find the time for it... Also, my inability to find a good colour scheme for my Wyches annoyed me and made me put all of this away...

BTW. I visited the GW shop yesterday and I noticed something I had feared months ago: the Sororitas supplies *are* depleting. :( Currently, you can't buy Immolators anymore - they are all gone. I suspect that other Sororitas models will disappear some time in the future, so... there's no way I'm going to own a big army of them.

The other sad thing is that I'm beginning to fear that I just don't have enough for this hobby. I *would* have, if I wasn't also involved in RPing, but... I am. And RPG books are awfully expensive these days, too. For instance, I plan on buying two of FFG's Star Wars games - and I'll be spending about $100 just on the core rulebooks. I also got sucked into Mage: the Awakening - and there's a metric ton of sourcebooks for this game I'd like to buy, too... Which would be great, as I love buying stuff. But not when I'm earning $325 dollars a month...

Crap!