A philisophical question.

Started by Merlyn, April 21, 2009, 10:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: The Overlord on April 26, 2009, 06:03:04 PM
Which really shouldn't be a crime, unless you're yelling fire and there isn't any.
Unless someone calls it in because A. An insane person isn't going to get the permit B. It's disturbing the public peace or whatever that term is.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Pumpkin Seeds

I think a lot of it has to do with what is evident right here.  People are looking through their peep holes into this world, staring at what is around them while believing that this is the ultimate view.  Those that have a different view, who act in accordance with their view, are labeled as stupid, illogical or insane. Our greatest failure, in my opinion, is a failure to communicate effectively and make the attempt to understand.

Inkidu

Quote from: Asku on May 02, 2009, 06:20:20 AM
I think a lot of it has to do with what is evident right here.  People are looking through their peep holes into this world, staring at what is around them while believing that this is the ultimate view.  Those that have a different view, who act in accordance with their view, are labeled as stupid, illogical or insane. Our greatest failure, in my opinion, is a failure to communicate effectively and make the attempt to understand.
I don't want to understand the guy making furniture out of human skin, sorry I'm so ignorant.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Pumpkin Seeds

Quote from: Inkidu on May 02, 2009, 07:55:42 AM
I don't want to understand the guy making furniture out of human skin, sorry I'm so ignorant.

The original question was why is the world a place of such insanity, yet the poster is not referring to someone clinically insane.  Unless I'm out of the loop, there is not an epidemic of people rushing about making furniture from human flesh that they've harvested themselves.  Unless you want to suggest that the original poster's girlfriend is just as insane because she found religion. 

Neferus Andolini

Quote from: Inkidu on May 02, 2009, 07:55:42 AM

Anthropodermic carpentry? Interesting..

Inkidu

Quote from: Asku on May 02, 2009, 05:37:56 PM
The original question was why is the world a place of such insanity, yet the poster is not referring to someone clinically insane.  Unless I'm out of the loop, there is not an epidemic of people rushing about making furniture from human flesh that they've harvested themselves.  Unless you want to suggest that the original poster's girlfriend is just as insane because she found religion.
My point is that even if you understand it you still only understand that the guy is just plain nuts.

Pumpkin Seeds

For someone to be that disconnected from humanity there is to be an underlying cause.  True, some might suggest the physical parts of the brain are in disorder.  Were that the case then further discussion is moot as he is different than us.  Communication with him would be similar to a dog communicating with a cat.  They might get the primal concepts but more complicated understanding is simply not available.  So instead we will assume that something dealing with the person’s life has taken hold of him.

Abuse of some sort, personal tragedy or some form of similar motivation may be inscribed in the person’s mind.  Communication of this sort would assist anyone dealing with him in understanding what has lead to this rather extreme case.  In that way further incidents may be averted in the future to prevent some of this future “insanity.”  As I pointed out, understanding is not justification.

Course we could just label him insane and ignore him.  Worked well in the past.

Inkidu

Quote from: Asku on May 02, 2009, 10:21:25 PM
For someone to be that disconnected from humanity there is to be an underlying cause.  True, some might suggest the physical parts of the brain are in disorder.  Were that the case then further discussion is moot as he is different than us.  Communication with him would be similar to a dog communicating with a cat.  They might get the primal concepts but more complicated understanding is simply not available.  So instead we will assume that something dealing with the person’s life has taken hold of him.

Abuse of some sort, personal tragedy or some form of similar motivation may be inscribed in the person’s mind.  Communication of this sort would assist anyone dealing with him in understanding what has lead to this rather extreme case.  In that way further incidents may be averted in the future to prevent some of this future “insanity.”  As I pointed out, understanding is not justification.

Course we could just label him insane and ignore him.  Worked well in the past.
Still for all the psychology and whatnot. There are still people in the world who have just gone plain old evil.

Pumpkin Seeds

Plain old evil.....so are we calling the shaman or exorcist?

So are we now making a case for some people are born evil and some are born good?

Inkidu

Quote from: Asku on May 02, 2009, 11:28:50 PM
Plain old evil.....so are we calling the shaman or exorcist?

So are we now making a case for some people are born evil and some are born good?
Bullet sounds the same in every language, but on a serious note.

I didn't say born I said gone. As in to become.

Pumpkin Seeds

Yet if there's no reason for them to have gone there, then they're predisposed to doing it.  So they are essentially born to be bad.

Mnemaxa

I would like to point out that the number of things that make up the human being are innumerable.  Genetics, psychology, feelings, environment....it would be impossible to say 'some people are born evil and some or born good' and NOT be correct.  Likewise, the number of things that contribute to a breakdown in the appearance of sanity are just as innumerable, and it would also be correct to say some people are made insane. 

The truth is, society itself defines good and evil, sanity and insanity to the best of its ability.  These generalized groups of judgments exist so that a society can continue to function effectively.  The collective insanity of humans, however, is most obviously evidenced by our inability to patiently learn to understand one another.  No one thing had contributed to more horror, pain, cruelty, destruction and generalized torment than our unwillingness or incapability to communicate effectively with each other.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Inkidu

Quote from: Asku on May 02, 2009, 11:33:18 PM
Yet if there's no reason for them to have gone there, then they're predisposed to doing it.  So they are essentially born to be bad.
However, there are lawyers and fish mongers, and farmers with the same genetic predisposition that don't become serial killer, and then there are those who aren't predisposed who do. The human conscious at work.

Merlyn

It seems to me that my original topic has been forgotten by some, misinterpreted by many, and has basically just become a feason to argue over somthing that really has no definative answer. 

I posed this question, merely because after a long day, and much misery for a very long time.  I came up with it, and wanted to see what others had to say about it.

In closing I would just like to say that this thread is an example of what I meant.  Instead of everyone simply saying what they think, we all argue.
Check here if you care why I haven't been around.
Why must all of humanity be consumed by such insanity?

"I know not with what weapons world war three will be fought with, but world war four will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein.

Ons and Offs