Useful Additions to a Newly Formatted HD

Started by The Baron, August 31, 2009, 07:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Baron

My computer finally died and had to reformat it.

I've begun the long, arduous process of restoring it. Thus far I've gotten AVG (anti-virus), Malwarebytes, Firefox (with AdBlock, Lazarus, Google Preview, Stumble Upon), WinRar.

Any ideas what I'm missing or should add, useful programs, Firefox add-ons, anti-virus things?

(If this is in the wrong board, my sincere apologies)

Vekseid

I have a thread in Elliquiy U, 'resources for a healthy computer'. I highly recommend Avira Antivir over AVG.

As for anything else, that entirely depends on what you want to do, really.

Oniya

If you don't have registered software, Open Office is a good substitute for MS Office, and has the added benefit of being free.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Baron

Vekseid: Will definitely check that thread out, thanks. What do you see as the biggest advantage of Avira?

Oniya: I have a version of MS that came with my computer for free, but thanks. :)

Vekseid

Speed, mostly. Antivir and Nod32 have very little overhead compared with Avast/AVG/Norman, and even less compared to McAfee and Norton.