In your honest opinion, who do you think has the best chance of becoming POTUS?

Started by Question Mark, March 02, 2016, 10:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quick reminder - tomorrow is the Wisconsin primary.  Those of you who live up there, remember all the *cough* great things Scott Walker has done for the state.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kuroneko

Quote from: Oniya on April 04, 2016, 08:59:13 PM
Quick reminder - tomorrow is the Wisconsin primary.  Those of you who live up there, remember all the *cough* great things Scott Walker has done for the state.

Do you honestly think any of us up here can forget? Especially those of us who work for the UW system? ;)

Though, Walker really has very little to do with the primary.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Oniya

Quote from: Kuroneko on April 05, 2016, 12:55:52 AM
Do you honestly think any of us up here can forget? Especially those of us who work for the UW system? ;)

Though, Walker really has very little to do with the primary.

As far as specifically affecting the primaries, there is this. We all know how Walker loves getting feedback from voters.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Valerian

Quote from: Oniya on April 05, 2016, 01:52:01 AM
As far as specifically affecting the primaries, there is this. We all know how Walker loves getting feedback from voters.
Much as I hate and despise that law, it has demonstrated one interesting thing for me.  As a regular voter I've gotten to at least recognize most of the volunteers at my polling place and now I know they recognize me.  One of them started automatically asking for my ID, then realized who I was and didn't even look at my license.  He just waved me on.  An unexpected advantage of not living in a big city, I suppose.  ::)
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Kuroneko

Yes, but that issue is not on the ballot today.

Valerian

Quote from: Kuroneko on April 05, 2016, 10:26:04 AM
Yes, but that issue is not on the ballot today.
Sadly, no, but there is at least the state Supreme Court election.  We have to get out there and vote for Kloppenburg or we'll be stuck with Walker's crony appointee forever.  :P
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Kuroneko

Quote from: Valerian on April 05, 2016, 10:32:08 AM
Sadly, no, but there is at least the state Supreme Court election.  We have to get out there and vote for Kloppenburg or we'll be stuck with Walker's crony appointee forever.  :P

Exactly ;)

Beguile's Mistress

Is this the one I heard about that sent mobile units out to rural areas where they closed the offices that could help people get the necessary ID cards and had ended up only issuing a handful of IDs?

Cycle

I just saw something on the news about how the voter ID law is causing massive delays, particularly with out-of-state students who can't use their out-of-state driver's licenses(!?!?). 

Oniya

I'm not sure of all the particulars, but there were changes made to what photo ID would and would not be accepted.  That in itself could impact voters that can't get around much or who don't stay on top of the news.  I believe that school-issued IDS are acceptable, but not the OOS licenses. 

Oniya

Can't have all those edumacated young rabble-rousers voting...

Scott Walker is a notoriously foul governor, who managed to squeak his way back into office even after a re-vote was demanded by his constituents.  Photo ID laws in general have been criticized as voter suppression, impacting low-income and minority voters in particular (source).

Cycle

Quote from: Oniya on April 05, 2016, 01:06:05 PM
Photo ID laws in general have been criticized as voter suppression

Sadly, I can follow that logic.  Sigh. 

Seriously, win or lose, everyone should get a voice.

Valerian

Most school-issued IDs are not acceptable, in fact, because they don't have an expiration date.  I know, that makes no sense, either.  The expiration on your driver's license isn't there so that the DMV can determine whether or not you've spontaneously become another person, after all.  Some schools are issuing separate IDs that do have expiration dates, but obviously that's a lot of extra time, effort and money that can really stretch an already thin school budget.  (Walker also did his level best to defund the schools.)

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on April 05, 2016, 12:43:35 PM
Is this the one I heard about that sent mobile units out to rural areas where they closed the offices that could help people get the necessary ID cards and had ended up only issuing a handful of IDs?
There was a scandal a couple of years ago about DMV closings throughout the state, which might be what you're thinking of.  DMV locations in predominantly Democratic areas were either closed or had their hours cut, while locations in largely Republican areas were not affected.  I did hear about voters' rights groups arranging for transportation to more distant DMV offices for those that would have trouble reaching them to get a state ID card, though I don't recall anything offhand about mobile offices going out to them.

Unfortunately, since his presidential run imploded, Walker's been making noises about running for governor again even though he said he wouldn't do that.  :P  On the other hand, all the polls I've seen indicate that voters around here are sick to death of him, so his handlers might still talk him out of it.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

persephone325

I have no idea who to vote for. Or even if I'm going to vote.

I try to keep up with everything, but there's way too much chaos going on with all these people I don't know what's relevant and what's not. I'm more confused about the state of the country, than anything else.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Cycle

Quote from: persephone325 on April 05, 2016, 06:36:56 PM
I have no idea who to vote for. Or even if I'm going to vote.

I'd strongly urge you to vote, but I can see how it can be very hard to choose.  One starting point would be to use something like this:  https://www.isidewith.com/political-quiz  It at least gives you a sense where your interests lie in relation to the candidates.

I would absolutely recommend against choosing a candidate based on their stump speech--i.e., the speech they give at rallies and to the news cameras.  That's all spin and smoke designed to induce and, in some cases, mislead.

persephone325

Quote from: Cycle on April 05, 2016, 06:48:59 PM
I'd strongly urge you to vote, but I can see how it can be very hard to choose.  One starting point would be to use something like this:  https://www.isidewith.com/political-quiz  It at least gives you a sense where your interests lie in relation to the candidates.

I would absolutely recommend against choosing a candidate based on their stump speech--i.e., the speech they give at rallies and to the news cameras.  That's all spin and smoke designed to induce and, in some cases, mislead.

Well, thank you! I'll be giving that a look tonight. Maybe post my result here and be like "Hey. Help?" lmao
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Kuroneko

Quote from: Valerian on April 05, 2016, 01:11:15 PM
Most school-issued IDs are not acceptable, in fact, because they don't have an expiration date.  I know, that makes no sense, either.  The expiration on your driver's license isn't there so that the DMV can determine whether or not you've spontaneously become another person, after all.  Some schools are issuing separate IDs that do have expiration dates, but obviously that's a lot of extra time, effort and money that can really stretch an already thin school budget.  (Walker also did his level best to defund the schools.)

The university where I teach was doing this today, and the lines for students to get the voter IDs were incredibly long. There were also lots of interviews with students who had valid ID's from other states and mail/leases/what have you from WI that were turned away at the polls today. It's ridiculous.

Mithlomwen

Apparently there have been some rumblings about the possibility of Speaker of the House, Paul Ryan getting the GOP nomination, should the party end up deadlocked.  '

Paul has said that he won't accept the nomination, but that hasn't stopped the rumblings from the Republican party. 

Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

persephone325

I don't know.

Cycle

*nods*

Well, that gives you a start.  Now, if you want, you can dig deeper into your top candidates.  I'd recommend ignoring their websites and anything put out by their campaigns (e.g., when their campaign manager goes on CNN).  I'd also ignore the debates--those have been pretty lousy this year.  I'd Google articles about them in the major newspapers and periodicals.  Maybe one-on-one interviews where they are forced to answer questions rather than rehash talking points.  Look for flaws.  Try to see what they aren't telling you.  And then based on what you find, vote for the one you like best.

Good luck, Sephie!

persephone325

Quote from: Cycle on April 09, 2016, 08:03:43 PM
*nods*

Well, that gives you a start.  Now, if you want, you can dig deeper into your top candidates.  I'd recommend ignoring their websites and anything put out by their campaigns (e.g., when their campaign manager goes on CNN).  I'd also ignore the debates--those have been pretty lousy this year.  I'd Google articles about them in the major newspapers and periodicals.  Maybe one-on-one interviews where they are forced to answer questions rather than rehash talking points.  Look for flaws.  Try to see what they aren't telling you.  And then based on what you find, vote for the one you like best.

Good luck, Sephie!

Thank you, Cycle. ^^ I sure picked a hell of a year to register to vote. lol
I don't know.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: persephone325 on April 09, 2016, 08:22:50 PM
I sure picked a hell of a year to register to vote. lol
You sure picked an important year for it. Keep in mind that it's not just the president at stake, but also a Supreme Court nomination (unless Obama goes for a recess appointment, and I think even that could be changed by the next president). Some states are doing their best to restrict abortion to the point of making it nearly impossible, LGBT rights are targeted by state laws through the backdoor. And it's not just the death of Scalia; there are several judges going on 80, RBG is over 80 now. There might be more than just one nomination at stake soon. Oniya and I have raised this point before, but I think it is worth repeating, given what's at stake.

As for picking whom to vote for, I would suggest you check out Politifact and take a look at some of their rulings. But read through some of their articles. Don't just look at the percentages of true, half true, or false statements someone has made. The details of a politifact ruling can tell a lot about a candidate. There's a big difference between a "half true" statement that is intentionally misleading and one that falls somewhat short of the full truth because of hyperbole.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Oniya

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on April 10, 2016, 12:07:52 AM
You sure picked an important year for it. Keep in mind that it's not just the president at stake, but also a Supreme Court nomination (unless Obama goes for a recess appointment, and I think even that could be changed by the next president). Some states are doing their best to restrict abortion to the point of making it nearly impossible, LGBT rights are targeted by state laws through the backdoor. And it's not just the death of Scalia; there are several judges going on 80, RBG is over 80 now. There might be more than just one nomination at stake soon. Oniya and I have raised this point before, but I think it is worth repeating, given what's at stake.

As for picking whom to vote for, I would suggest you check out Politifact and take a look at some of their rulings. But read through some of their articles. Don't just look at the percentages of true, half true, or false statements someone has made. The details of a politifact ruling can tell a lot about a candidate. There's a big difference between a "half true" statement that is intentionally misleading and one that falls somewhat short of the full truth because of hyperbole.

Also, a large percentage of Congress is up for reelection.  You can look up their voting records online and see if you want to keep the ones you've got or vote in some new blood.  (I've got one Senator who is on shaky ground with me - bloody obstructionist.)

TaintedAndDelish