Infamous and Ever Growing "Text" Lingo

Started by LilyRoseBlack23, January 29, 2013, 04:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilyRoseBlack23

Now, in general, there are times "text" lingo can come in quite handy. That being said, there are also times when it is infuriatingly obnoxious.

Right Times to Use "Text" Lingo

1. Texting: People who are on pay as you go plans and have to pay per text, or people who have limited characters they can use, it makes sense to abbreviate words in any way possible

2. In a hurry: OK occasionally, you are in a really big hurry and need to leave your computer quickly, in which case some "text" lingo is understandable

3. Tablets: Tablets may give you unlimited space to type versus cell phones, but sometimes the keyboards are obnoxious so I can deal with some "text" lingo

Times "Text" Lingo is SO Not Cool

1. Generally any time that the above is not the case, you are on-line, not in a hurry, at your keyboard, the constant over use of "text" lingo just makes you look dumb and sound uneducated

2. In every day speech: I have actually heard people say L.O.L out loud in regular conversation. I've also heard O.M.G. used as well. People, "text" lingo is for "texting" or at least being at a device that requires actual typing. Using it in every day speech is not only insanely annoying, it makes you sound like a complete idiot.

Oniya

And that's why a lot of us ended up here.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

SinXAzgard21

I can understand "wtf" and "lol".  But that is about it for me.  Anything else makes my teeth itch. 
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Chris Brady

My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

LilyRoseBlack23

I mean if I'm on a cell phone texting, I'll abbreviate the crap out of things just because it's easier, or if I'm in a hurry chatting with someone I'll use things like brb, lol, wtf, afk. But still unless you're in a hurry, and definitely never in roleplays or stories or writing

SapphireStar

If I'm in a hurry I'll use brb. Or use lol. But its a bit frustrating when you try to talk to someone and they start talking in text-speak, like OMG, etc.  I want to be able to have an actual conversation.

Caeli

I've never used text speak except sarcastically. Reading text speak makes my eyes hurt - it disrupts the flow of whatever is being said, and takes me longer to 'interpret' it. I prefer not to inflict that kind of feeling on other people if they do feel the same way, and people who do use text speak can hopefully still read, so it's not a problem for them, either.

It is faster for me to type out the full words, and not use "text speak". When I used to have a non-smartphone, I used T9 and it would spit out the words correctly almost every single time. On my smart phone, it's even easier - my keyboard fixes my spelling errors as I go, or the word I'm looking for is in the options. :P It actually takes me longer to type out text speak because I have to actually think "bee are bee", whereas "be right back" all comes out in one fluid motion.

Regarding the point about character limits: I'm of the mind that if you need more characters or you don't have enough space, they you either need to make your message more concise, you should send an email instead, or you should just call the other person.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Chris Brady

Quote from: Caeli on January 29, 2013, 06:58:12 PMRegarding the point about character limits: I'm of the mind that if you need more characters or you don't have enough space, they you either need to make your message more concise, you should send an email instead, or you should just call the other person.
And it's probably CHEAPER too.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Aiden

I'm guilty of using text speech verbally.

I use "Lawl" as a sarcastic response to something I did not find funny (for whatever reason).

I think that is it.

Saerrael

I've used 'lol' offline... *blushes*
To make matters worst, 'lol' is a word in Dutch. And I did not mean that word at that time. *coughs*

I do, now and then, use text speech online, but mostly sarcastic or in an exaggerated manner.  (Amgwtfbbq!!one!!!eleven, would be one of these.)

Beguile's Mistress

Don't use text speak except as others have said in a sarcastic manner or as a joke.  lol is the only thing I use regularly in chat.  I don't like texting anyway so there ya go.

The next time some twit walks into me because they are texting and not watching where they are going I'm going to dump a Coke on them or break their device.

Koren

Had to scroll in to 350% on my window to read that BeMi. Haha. But yes I agree with you, especially when they then look at you like its your fault

I use 'brb', mainly because if im typing that i need to go really quickly. And i'll use 'lol' but only with people who also do. I dont use anything other then that and if people do they get a lot of nudging to explain, every time they use it till they get the hint that I like reading words, not random assossiations of lettering.
Mind you, on IM im horrible with things like capitalising words and grammar etc, but thats mainly because my fingers are just trying to keep up with my brain, but I always spell out words. the same with texting

Oniya

Quote from: Koren on January 29, 2013, 11:24:41 PM
Had to scroll in to 350% on my window to read that BeMi. Haha. But yes I agree with you, especially when they then look at you like its your fault

(I just hit the 'quote' button.  It brings everything back to normal text size.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17