DC: 1945 (DC Comics 1940's) [Recruiting]

Started by Totoro, August 16, 2021, 01:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Totoro

Quote from: BlueOrange on August 16, 2021, 11:41:42 PM
Yay!

I was thinking that her parents were the keepers of a shrine to Susano, and maybe they prayed really hard, and Susano was in a blessing-granting mood.  I'd like for her to be quite religious, and as I read up on Susano (in Japanese myth, not DC canon, no idea how to find my way into the DC canon), he turns out to be a patron of love and marriage.  He's a very fitting deity, who protects against disease and pestilence with purifying rain, and who loses his temper and causes devastating floods.

Looking up Samurai, I find this:

Of those, Kaze no Yo ni Hayaku (which seems like a very cumbersome fomulation, "Kaze Hayaku"/"Wind Speed" seems more like a Japanese way of communicating the same meaning) makes perfect sense and seems very thematic.  The other powers don't make sense to me and I'd rather not have them for Aiko.  (It reads as 'random cool shit that might conceivably be Japanese' to me.)

How would you feel about 'can summon rain' and 'has a rope that establishes a telepathic link between two people if you tie their wrists together' (like a shinto wedding ceremony).  The nature of the telepathic link is that it enables perfect cooperation between the linked persons (except if they're not getting along, in which case it makes the masculine party lose their temper, and makes the feminine party try to hide from them). The rope might create a permanent telepathic bond if used as part of a shinto wedding ceremony.

Susano's actions as part of DC canon were pretty basic it's just nice that he does actually officially exist.

You can read up on some of it here: https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Susano-o-no-Mikoto_(New_Earth)

However, it is largely fairly old and basic. He can definitely be adjusted and all that backstory didn't happen as this is its own universe anyway so the actual arcs are all different.

If only 1/4 of a character's powers seem fitting for your concept I'd just make someone original I think. I'm comfortable with the concept of those other powers as-described but would lean away from the alias 'Samurai' as they don't feel particularly tied to that identity.

BlueOrange

Thanks for the wiki link! It looks like Gaiman was borrowing pretty directly from Japanese myth when he included Susano in Sandman.

I don’t propose to use Samurai. I figured he’d be a reasonable benchmark in terms of “Here’s a set of powers for a hero who isn’t Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman.

So yeah, I was thinking that my OC could have one power stolen from Samurai’s list, plus rain summoning and the ‘marriage knot’ power.

Totoro

Quote from: BlueOrange on August 17, 2021, 09:27:06 AM
Thanks for the wiki link! It looks like Gaiman was borrowing pretty directly from Japanese myth when he included Susano in Sandman.

I don’t propose to use Samurai. I figured he’d be a reasonable benchmark in terms of “Here’s a set of powers for a hero who isn’t Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman.

So yeah, I was thinking that my OC could have one power stolen from Samurai’s list, plus rain summoning and the ‘marriage knot’ power.

He probably was.

Alright, sounds good.

That all seems fine to me!

BlueOrange

We got there! Thanks for helping me find something that fits the game.

Kadigan

But the real question is. Can I play a grim gritty reboot of gleek?

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: Kadigan on August 17, 2021, 09:54:08 AM

His blue hands shook as he slowly peeled the banana. This monkey had seen things. Many things.

Totoro

Quote from: BlueOrange on August 17, 2021, 09:49:44 AM
We got there! Thanks for helping me find something that fits the game.

No problem!

Quote from: Kadigan on August 17, 2021, 09:54:08 AM

If you can find artwork that reads as grim, gritty and gleek then absolutely go for it. (It cannot be fan art of Beast though.)

Totoro

This game is now recruiting. CS format and a sample CS have been added to the first post. Please send CS's in via PM!

Feel free to ask any questions you may have here.

Nowherewoman

My eyes are a window to the storm that's getting close.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

virtualblue

Quote from: Totoro on August 18, 2021, 10:04:42 AM
This game is now recruiting. CS format and a sample CS have been added to the first post. Please send CS's in via PM!

Feel free to ask any questions you may have here.

Working on my character now. I've settled on Jessica Cruz (aka Green Lantern | Limelight).

Totoro

Quote from: virtualblue on August 18, 2021, 10:56:52 AM
Working on my character now. I've settled on Jessica Cruz (aka Green Lantern | Limelight).

Sounds good to me!

Nowherewoman

Light me up, baby!  :D

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

BlueOrange

Quote from: Nowherewoman on August 18, 2021, 12:39:39 PM
Light me up, baby!  :D

OK, my competitive streak is definitely activated now… will have to find an IC expression for it :)

Kadigan

If we’re doing claims of faces I’d like to snag Alexandra Daddario

Totoro

Quote from: Kadigan on August 18, 2021, 03:04:02 PM

We are and reserves are welcome! She's noted.

Foxy DeVille

Boy, is she noted. >:)

Wait... did I say that out loud?

virtualblue

Quote from: Kadigan on August 18, 2021, 03:04:02 PM

The face claim I went with for Green Lantern is Rania Benchegra . . .

AlizsahTheBard

I'm in as Tara Markov and I got so many ideas <3.
A Tiefling Most Private (Naughty Thot) Thoughts - AlizsahTheBard Search Thread
"And so we go, on with our lives. We know the truth but prefer lies
Lies are simple, simple is bliss. Why go against tradition when we can?
Admit defeat, live in decline! Be the victim of our own design...
The status quo, built on suspect. Why would anyone stick out their neck?"
The Decline NOFX

Totoro

Quote from: AlizsahTheBard on August 18, 2021, 07:37:48 PM
I'm in as Tara Markov and I got so many ideas <3.

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing her.

Totoro

To any who are still interested a few threads have gone up for this game. The IC will not be starting until the weekend but you may look at other player characters here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=335491.0

There are a fair few big canon names I would absolutely love to see (Plenty of others are available) these include:

Batman (Bruce Wayne)
Wonder Woman (Diana Prince)
Green Arrow (Oliver Queen)
Nightwing (Dick Grayson)
Robin (Damien Wayne)
Red Hood (Jason Todd)
Cyborg (Victor Stone)
Beast Boy (Garfield Logan)
Raven (Rachel Roth)
Black Canary (Dinah Drake)
Batgirl (Barbara Gordon)
Batwoman (Kate Kane)
Hawkgirl (Kendra Saunders)
Green Lantern (Any of: Kyle Rayner, Jon Stewart, Hal Jordan)
Supergirl (Kara Zor-El)
Vixen (Mari McCabe)
Penguin (Oswald Cobblepot)
Poison Ivy (Pamela Isley)
Cheetah (Barbara Minervah)
Riddler (Edward Nygma)
Harley Quinn (Harleen Quinzel)
Huntress (Helena Bertinelli)

virtualblue

Quote from: Totoro on August 19, 2021, 01:32:31 PM
To any who are still interested a few threads have gone up for this game. The IC will not be starting until the weekend but you may look at other player characters here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=335491.0

There are a fair few big canon names I would absolutely love to see (Plenty of others are available) these include:

Batman (Bruce Wayne)
Wonder Woman (Diana Prince)
Green Arrow (Oliver Queen)
Nightwing (Dick Grayson)
Robin (Damien Wayne)
Red Hood (Jason Todd)
Cyborg (Victor Stone)
Beast Boy (Garfield Logan)
Raven (Rachel Roth)
Black Canary (Dinah Drake)
Batgirl (Barbara Gordon)
Batwoman (Kate Kane)
Hawkgirl (Kendra Saunders)
Green Lantern (Any of: Kyle Rayner, Jon Stewart, Hal Jordan)
Supergirl (Kara Zor-El)
Vixen (Mari McCabe)
Penguin (Oswald Cobblepot)
Poison Ivy (Pamela Isley)
Cheetah (Barbara Minervah)
Riddler (Edward Nygma)
Harley Quinn (Harleen Quinzel)
Huntress (Helena Bertinelli)

At least you have one Green Lantern!

Were you wanting us to create more than one PC? Also, I may have no (or limited) internet access from Saturday afternoon until possibly Thursday as we are in the process of cleaning up our house for sale.

Totoro

Quote from: virtualblue on August 19, 2021, 01:37:22 PM
At least you have one Green Lantern!

Were you wanting us to create more than one PC? Also, I may have no (or limited) internet access from Saturday afternoon until possibly Thursday as we are in the process of cleaning up our house for sale.

We do! I'm not pushing overly hard for more, I just think some of them make good characters aside from being fellow Lanterns.

Def. most eager to get some more bat family, wonder woman and maybe some more male characters.

You can create up to three canon PC's but as many as you like in terms of OC. The only real limitation is what you can keep active. So, if you are interested in writing a second character you're more than welcome to.

virtualblue

Quote from: Totoro on August 19, 2021, 01:39:56 PM
We do! I'm not pushing overly hard for more, I just think some of them make good characters aside from being fellow Lanterns.

Def. most eager to get some more bat family, wonder woman and maybe some more male characters.

You can create up to three canon PC's but as many as you like in terms of OC. The only real limitation is what you can keep active. So, if you are interested in writing a second character you're more than welcome to.

How are you managing technology due to the setting? Are we going more along the lines of Spider-Man Noir? Are you thinking mad-science analogs or the tech needs to be replaced with something more period-appropriate? I ask, because, for example, certain characters like Batman and Cyborg have significant tech associated with them that seems unlikely in 1945.

Totoro

Quote from: virtualblue on August 19, 2021, 01:48:09 PM
How are you managing technology due to the setting? Are we going more along the lines of Spider-Man Noir? Are you thinking mad-science analogs or the tech needs to be replaced with something more period-appropriate? I ask, because, for example, certain characters like Batman and Cyborg have significant tech associated with them that seems unlikely in 1945.

Basically, I'm saying that metahumans (I'm kinda loosely considering Batman's brain to count) and a few very small groups of humans have developed that kind of tech. So Batman, Cyborg and the like can have technology that is way ahead of the masses because they have managed to figure it out but not how to mass-produce it. It exists but it's very rare. There are groups like STAR Labs, LexCorp etc. who can create some pretty modern stuff but they're more in the early R&D processes since everyone was all-in on building weapons for WWII until two months ago IC.

I loosely want to speed up the timeline of tech as the game goes on but basically, I'll bend logic to make characters workable e.g. Cyborg and all that are fully welcome. (In fairness most of the techy heroes tech is so advanced that it's basically magic in the modern world or in 1945)

Nowherewoman

Quote from: Totoro on August 19, 2021, 01:39:56 PM

Tempted to roll up an alt Raven :D  Just b/c I wuvs her. Maybe once things get going some.