Uplifting / Positive News Stories

Started by Blythe, September 23, 2016, 12:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: Caeli on December 07, 2017, 04:34:11 PM
https://www.apnews.com/f99a0972daf043a5b2e7be7deb3d5d0d/Australian-Parliament-allows-same-sex-marriages

Australian Parliament says yes to same-sex marriage.
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australia’s Parliament voted Thursday to allow same-sex marriage across the nation, following a bitter debate settled by a much-criticized government survey of voters that strongly endorsed change.

The public gallery in the House of Representatives erupted with applause when the bill passed. It changes the definition of marriage from solely between a man and a woman to “a union of two people” excluding all others. The legislation passed with a majority that wasn’t challenged, although four lawmakers registered their opposition.

“What a day. What a day for love, for equality, for respect. Australia has done it,” Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull told Parliament.

The Senate passed the same legislation last week 43 votes to 12. The government later announced that same-sex couples will be able to apply to marry starting Saturday, with the first weddings potentially from Jan. 6.

wonderful!!! That really made me smile.

Cassandra LeMay

ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Sain

To me this was the real positive news of the year.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-12-milestone-year-gene-therapy-medicine.html
In a milestone year, gene therapy finds a place in medicine

I may have linked before, but this needs more highlighting. People born blind are starting to see and other incurable diseases finally have a way to get cured. I hope governments and healthcare organizations around the world make the transition of these therapies into common use as this and other gene-editing technologies are just amazing beyond words.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Szandor

Posting Rate: SLOW

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Blythe

Quote from: Sain on December 31, 2017, 08:44:23 AM
To me this was the real positive news of the year.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-12-milestone-year-gene-therapy-medicine.html
In a milestone year, gene therapy finds a place in medicine

I may have linked before, but this needs more highlighting. People born blind are starting to see and other incurable diseases finally have a way to get cured. I hope governments and healthcare organizations around the world make the transition of these therapies into common use as this and other gene-editing technologies are just amazing beyond words.

I'm always seriously excited to read more about developments with gene therapy. I consider it to be utterly amazing and miraculous. It's things like that that make me love science. If you find more about gene therapy, please do share it here, Sain. :)

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on December 09, 2017, 01:57:48 AM
Hopeful Images from 2017, courtesy of The Atlantic

This is wonderful, thank you for sharing. :)

Quote from: Szandor on December 31, 2017, 06:27:33 PM
https://www.salon.com/2017/12/29/obama-twitter-good-news-2017/
Hope everyone had a good New Years!

I like seeing prominent figures spreading the word about good news--thanks for this, Szandor.

Quote from: Deamonbane on December 31, 2017, 06:28:52 PM
Happy New Years, folks :)

Happy new year!  8-)

Sain

This was another pretty amazing one considering how indoor farming is on the rise (at least in here where farming in the snow isn't that viable).

Pioneering new technology set to accelerate the global quest for crop improvement

Speed breeding means that it is now possible to grow as many as 6 generations of wheat every year -- a threefold increase on the techniques currently used by breeders and researchers. Credit: John Innes Centre

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-01-technology-global-quest-crop.html#jCp

Sain

Quote from: Blythe on January 02, 2018, 01:00:34 PM
I'm always seriously excited to read more about developments with gene therapy. I consider it to be utterly amazing and miraculous. It's things like that that make me love science. If you find more about gene therapy, please do share it here, Sain. :)

This piece talks a little bit about a significant real world challenge for some gene therapies. It's not strictly uplifting in nature, but I'd consider hearing about people considering every practical challenge as a positive sign of their dedication to the task.

Orval Wintermute

Say what you like about the Catholic church as a whole but Pope Francis seems like one of the good ones.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/18/wing-prayer-pope-francis-marries-couple-papal-plane-chile
Instead of just blessing a couple's civil marriage the Pope performed the official Catholic ceremony. If the couple can't dine out on "the Pope married us in mid-air" for at least the next decade there is something wrong with the world.

Arianna

Quote from: Orval Wintermute on January 18, 2018, 01:01:44 PM
Say what you like about the Catholic church as a whole but Pope Francis seems like one of the good ones.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/18/wing-prayer-pope-francis-marries-couple-papal-plane-chile
Instead of just blessing a couple's civil marriage the Pope performed the official Catholic ceremony. If the couple can't dine out on "the Pope married us in mid-air" for at least the next decade there is something wrong with the world.
That made me tear up a little. I love this man so much... He is what this world needed.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Arianna de L'ombre on January 18, 2018, 01:02:57 PM
That made me tear up a little. I love this man so much... He is what this world needed.

He really is. I just wish he was younger, because I really get the sense sometimes that he genuinely wants to drag the Catholic Church by the scruff of its neck into a more progressive stance. But he's really old, even by pope standards (ninth oldest to be elected, apparently), and fighting two thousand years of inertia will take time. Hopefully his eventual successor takes up where he leaves off.

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/01/peeved-by-price-gouging-and-shortages-hospitals-will-now-make-their-own-drugs/

Four of the US's major hospital systems are starting a non-prof to keep prices for generic drugs down and supplies up.  Still very hush-hush on details, but a well-deserved slap in the face to Pharma-boy Shkreli and his ilk.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Valerian

I happened across this while reading up on some other (much more depressing) news, so finding this story made me feel better about the world.

Train passenger wakes to find £100 gift from stranger
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Blythe

Quote from: Valerian on January 29, 2018, 01:08:04 PM
I happened across this while reading up on some other (much more depressing) news, so finding this story made me feel better about the world.

Train passenger wakes to find £100 gift from stranger

Really loved this, thank you for posting it, Val. ^^

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Sain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFuA50H9uek

Technically everything these guys do counts as news, and I find them super uplifting so here goes ;D

Feel kinda sorry for the robot there. It's amazing though how quick they're advancing. Multipurpose helper robots might not be too far away!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Sain on February 21, 2018, 01:31:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFuA50H9uek

Technically everything these guys do counts as news, and I find them super uplifting so here goes ;D

Feel kinda sorry for the robot there. It's amazing though how quick they're advancing. Multipurpose helper robots might not be too far away!

I’m waiting for the day one of these bots mule kicks that guy. :)

RampantDesires

I needed to feel better about the world today and this helped...

Legalization of same-sex marriage linked to reduction of suicide attempts among high school students

Also proof that me being a hermit is good for the environment!

Staying home...

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

RampantDesires

Not really a news news story, but it made me happy anyway. 

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Sain

Dietary supplement shows promise for reversing cardiovascular aging

Original article

I for one am always happy to hear that some studies are actually getting to the bottom of aging related issues. Read about some in vitro NAD+ tests some years ago, then mouse, and now looks like they're finally getting evidence with human experiments. Really great. And as an added bonus if it affects cardio vascular diseases then there's probably incentive for big pharmas to adopt and push this treatment into market at some decent pace!

Sara Nilsson

https://www.tehvibes.com/technology/by-2019-the-first-bionic-kidney-will-discard-the-need-for-dialysis/

More breakthroughs in bionic kidneys.

QuoteScientists from the University of California, San Francisco have managed to create the first bionic kidney that can replace damaged kidneys. This kidney is a perfect replica for human kidney and should save millions of lives. The bionic kidney can be put into the human body by plain surgery and so far it has been shown to work effectively with everyone. It consists several microchips that are working with the work of the heart. This bionic kidney filtrates toxins from the blood in the same way as human kidneys.

RampantDesires

Blythe

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180410084233.htm

This was super cool. Scientists were able to induce some sensation in the arm of a paralyzed man via brain stimulation. This has some potentially groundbreaking medical implications! ^^