What do you usually buy with your refund money? - Financial Aid

Started by Cherry Bloodrayne, November 17, 2010, 05:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cherry Bloodrayne

For those of us who need a little financial help, what do you usually buy with your refund money besides books..?
Do you buy things you need, or want?

I want to get a laptop soo soo badly! I do not want to keep going to the computer lab on campus.
That's more of a want though, in my opinion.

A need would be clothes, college/school supplies, and various other school-related things.

Will

If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Cherry Bloodrayne

Quote from: Will on November 17, 2010, 07:34:15 PM
BILLS.  And food.  And other unavoidable expenses.

Other good points, forgot about bills. :) Mine gets put on the college credit card, though however.

mystictiger

Want a system game? I got system games!

Will

Any money granted or loaned to a student that is not used to cover tuition and books.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

mystictiger

*sighs fondly*

I miss the days that students in this country received grants. Now all we get is a loan from the government. Which we then have to pay back. Go go student debt! Although I shouldn't really complain about student debt in forum with a high concentration of Americans... >.>

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ryven

mystictiger

Quote from: Oniya on November 19, 2010, 02:29:47 PM
You're likely to get a large number of sympathizers.

Having done both law and medical school, my student debt is a mere US$8k. Friends of mine doing only one of those in not-the-most-expensive-schools are looking at 5-digit sums of debt. I understand, though, that if they go into public service that the repayments get waived or something like that.

Josh the Aspie

In general, in the US there are some of those programs, but they are generally limited, and the availability depends on degrees.

If you teach for a minimum number of years, then in at least a few states the student debt is forgiven, but most states require a teaching degree of some kind, or a degree of specialty in the area you practice.

In Colorado, a relatively rural and rather mountainous state, there is a program to forgive student debt if you take a job as a doctor in some of the very very rural areas of the state.  This was done to help reduce the number of people that die due to how long it takes to drive or be driven to a doctor (given that driving across that state takes about as long as driving across 2-3 relatively small European countries).

The thing is that most of these programs are done state-by-state based on the needs of the particular state and the needs of the people in that state.

You're not as likely to be as far away from a doctor in New York state, for example, as you are in the highly-rural parts of Colorado.

Of course given the recent wide-scale changes to how student loans are handled, this may have changed.  I heard that the federal government now directly provides all student loans, rather than it being provided through banks.  However this information was only from one off-hand reference from TV news, so I'd have to more fact-checking to verify that.

Zakharra

Quote from: Josh the Aspie on November 29, 2010, 09:47:31 PM

Of course given the recent wide-scale changes to how student loans are handled, this may have changed.  I heard that the federal government now directly provides all student loans, rather than it being provided through banks.  However this information was only from one off-hand reference from TV news, so I'd have to more fact-checking to verify that.

As far as I know, that is accurate. Only the government  is allowed to give out student loans now. Anything else is illegal.

Ket

Not true. You can still get private student loans from banks and credit unions.

It used to be that schools would have select banks they would work with and the federal student loan monies were funneled through those banks to the students. Now the entire process is handled by the government.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

AtlasEros

O/O

jorick

I use mine mainly to pay the bills and buy the essentials, food and clothes and whatnot.  I'll occasionally buy a video game or something else for entertainment, but not often.  Usually I leave those things till holidays/my birthday instead of spending my school money on it.