Trump Impeachment

Started by LostInTheMist, April 21, 2018, 04:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skynet

Quote from: Mera1506 on June 19, 2018, 01:33:36 PM
With a closed border with a fence, there would be far fewer people crossing and be in that situation to begin with.

I realize that I responded to another point in Mera's earlier post, but I wanted to handle this part as well.

A lot of undocumented immigrants in the USA didn't just swoop on in with no paperwork, a huge amount of them are those in the country on a worker's visa. But when the deadline is up, they do not go back for various reasons.

Here are two articles by the Pew Research Center:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/04/27/5-facts-about-illegal-immigration-in-the-u-s/

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2006/05/22/modes-of-entry-for-the-unauthorized-migrant-population/

The first source mentions that around two-thirds of undocumented immigrants in the USA already lived there for a decade.

And the second source cites that nearly one half of undocumented immigrants got in to the country on a worker's visa.

Building a wall, which beyond being architecturally unsound and financially disastrous, will not take into account the huge amount of immigrants already here. And unless the Trump administration gets rid of worker's visas entirely (which will turn every free-market capitalist and big corporation against him), the physical wall will not be a barrier against this.

ReijiTabibito

Which begs the question.  If these people already qualified for a visa, and are simply letting it expire, why is that the case?  It's obvious that they want to stay here, given their behavior.  (BTW, does anyone know how long a visa is good for?)

Sara Nilsson

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/how-long-will-your-us-visa-allow-you-stay.html

It varies massively, from six months to three years. I couldnt really find a good article that goes into why they don't renew the visa. Could be anything from forgetting to renew it (it can be rather confusing in some cases), not eligible for renewing due to you can't renew that type of visa more or due to criminal activity.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Mera1506 on June 19, 2018, 01:33:36 PM
... Then there's the gangs that cross the border to the business like MS-13. ...

Here's a useful article on MS-13, its history, and how large (or not) a problem they are. MS-13 may press imigrants into service / recruit them, but they don't have to smuggle people across the border to serve in their ranks any more than say, American biker gangs have to bring in European skinheads to swell their ranks.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Cassandra LeMay

Given all that's been in the news about Bob Woodward's new book and a certain NYT op-ed, I figure it might be a good idea to resurrect this thread, as there are already headlines in some news media about a "constitutional crisis".

Recently I read a book I can really recommend on the topic of impeachement: "To End A Presidency - The power of impeachement" by Laurence Tribe and Joshua Matz. Tribe and Matz make no secret of the fact that they are no fans of Donald Trump, but they still manage to provide a very good overview of how the Impeachement Clause came to be, how it was used in the past, and what actually using it might entail. In the end they warn against talking about impeachement constantly, against making "impeachement talk" just another tool in the toolkit of partisan warfare, least an impeachement (when it is actually needed) splits the nation even more than it already is and does more harm than good to the fabric of society.

Matz gave a talk about the book at the National Constitution Center that sums up the main points very well: https://constitutioncenter.org/debate/past-programs/the-power-of-impeachment-its-history-and-future?utm_source=web&utm_medium=homepage&utm_campaign=video
If you don't have the time, money, or inclination to read a whole book on the subject, 40 minutes of this video make a pretty decent substitute for the whole book.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)