Crashlanded

Started by RedEve, January 30, 2013, 12:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedEve

Quote from: Caehlim on February 03, 2013, 06:24:39 AM
Is this game going to be more sexually based or more story-focused? (or rather what sort of ratio between the two would we be looking at).

I would say more story-focused with some smut thrown in as spice. :P
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Caehlim

I'm intrigued by the story, but checking people's on/offs I don't think it'll match my orientation for any smut scenes.

I may have to pass on this one. Good luck though, it certainly seems a cool idea.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Miroque

200K in 1centcury AD was insanely large town (in european scale) Only Rome was near that (100K Romans and 350K slaves/outsiders). And Rome was taxing far and wide, for food. So, with 200K population center, it would need social/military structure to uphold its food consumption. Just my 0.02€ of the matter.

RedEve

Quote from: Miroque on February 03, 2013, 08:37:41 AM
200K in 1centcury AD was insanely large town (in european scale) Only Rome was near that (100K Romans and 350K slaves/outsiders). And Rome was taxing far and wide, for food. So, with 200K population center, it would need social/military structure to uphold its food consumption. Just my 0.02€ of the matter.

I believe the city of Rome had a population closer to 1 million at that time.
It dropped back to the numbers you are citing around the fifth century AD (coinciding with the fall of the Western Roman Empire).

But the rest of your point is correct, a city that size would have a sizable sphere of influence and power in the surrounding area.

The primitive society will not be patriarchal, which means that female characters will be able to hold positions of real power.

The societal structure would be feudal, with a king-figure at the top, assisted and advised by a council of noblemen and women.

Miroque

at the height of Rome´s power, Rome had 3.5milj people but I thought the boom was at second century.. but could be wrong there.

Frelance

I am interested in this game. I can play on either side not sure which one I want to play more at the moment.

With avatar being mentioned. Are there going to be some areas that have disturbances that to not allow the crews tech to work properly?
Evolution is an arms race

RabbitJanitor

Definitely Interested. I'd like to play one of the crew. I was also wondering about human-sub races? There's a sub-race in a system game that has humans that have adapted to a water world for generations. They can hold their breath much longer, have slightly webbed fingers and feet, and have a more pudgy look to them. Over all they'd still be Humans, just a little more adaptive for water.

RedEve

CS for crewmembers:

[float=right][img padding=15][/img][/float]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Rank: [/b][i]Commander/Lieutenant Commander/Lieutenant/Crewman (The captain will not be a PC but will be NPCed by me. The role of the Commander will be pivotal, please PM me if you are interested in that role)[/i]
[b]Role on the ship:[/b] (Basically what your characters area of expertise was on the ship. Could be engineering, command, medical, ...)
[b]Biography: [/b]

CS for the Kamari (the indigenous people).

[float=right][img padding=15][/img][/float]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Societal position: [/b] Nobleman, commoner, servant, peasant, craftsman, ...
[b]Biography: [/b]

The Kamari are ruled by a Kahji, which is the equivalent of a King or an Emperor. He or she shares power with the Hazaij, a council of 12.
This council consists of noblemen and women who are elected in the role for six year terms. There are no general elections, only the nobility gets to decide who they assign to the council.

Peripherie

RedEve -

Are you open for people to start creating/posting a character sheet? And if so, are we doing so in this thread?
"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher
storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

RedEve

The game is open for character creation.

I prefer the CS to be sent to my PM inbox.

Frelance

What kind of ship was of? I mean research, scout, civilian transport.
Evolution is an arms race

RedEve

Quote from: Frelance on February 09, 2013, 11:13:34 AM
What kind of ship was of? I mean research, scout, civilian transport.

A military vessel patrolling the border worlds. The idea will be that they somehow got sucked into a wormhole that brought them even further away from their home colonies.

Chrystal

Interested...

Do you still need a co-GM?

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

RedEve

RedEve

The NPC profile for the captain:

Name: Samuel Kaufman
Role on the ship: Senior officer on board the ship
Biography: Samuel is a life-long Galaxy corps officer. Both his father and grandfather were also starship captains. Samuel himself swiftly climbed the ranks and was awarded his first own command at the age of 35. Known as a man who is efficient but a bit rough around the edges, he tends to get the difficult and dirty missions other officers might frown at. Samuel has no qualms about doing whatever it takes to complete the mission, which makes him both a respected and feared commander. He is strict but fair to the men and women under his command, but has no hesitation in carrying out the capital punishment for those who disobey his orders.

Chrystal

The Kamari... (Damn, that sounds totally like fried squid rings!)

Please could we have some info regarding their language, and more importantly, their names? Are they guttural, fricative, tuneful, or like humans, do they have a large number of languages, and thus a large number of naming systems?

Are there any major biological differences?

Also, ages... see, here's a thing: On Mars, you come of age when you're 9. On Earth, that's 18. On Venus it's 28. On Mercury, you would be 74...!

But the fact is that the individual concerned has been alive for the exact same length of time.

I don't know how much detail you want to go into with this, but never mind the socio-political aspects of an individual's life span, you also have geopolitical aspects and biological aspects.

So, basically, what we need to know is:

How long do they live, on average, what is the oldest they can live to, what is considered mature, and at what age do they become adults?

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

RedEve

For the same of simplicity, I chose to make the indigenous people identical in physiology to humans. :)
So their life course would mirror the human equivalent.

The different city-states have their own languages and culture, though they all find themselves at roughly the same technological level.

Deathnote

So is this going to be under NC Human or NC Exotic?

Chrystal

Human, I would imagine...

We are assuming, then, an earth-type world with about the same sidereal and diurnal periods? Can we at least have two moons? *giggles*

Peripherie

Ooo... two moons, could be some interesting tidal potential.

RedEve - I have some more questions to help me make my background of my crew member. I hope you don't mind. :)

Is there a central planet that this crew came from or some general planetary system information? If it is Earth, how far into the future are we talking?

Also, your NPC captain CS mentioned Galaxy Corps? Is that the name of the military faction the ship is flying under?
"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher
storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

Deathnote

By the way, how many of each rank are on board?  I'm assuming that there's only one Captain and one Commander.  Sorry, I'm not all that familiar with shows about starships.  I've only watched Andromeda and Firefly and the ships on those shows have a relatively small crew.

Chrystal

Quote from: MagicalPen on January 31, 2013, 01:24:52 PM
It depends on the technology of the space-faring people. I imagine they don't use bullets if they can travel through space.

I quite like the idea of being worshiped like a God though - color me interested.

*snorts in amusement*

And why wouldn't people who can fly through space still use bullets? Lets face it, if you fire a bullet at someone clad in nice shiny metal armour, the bullet generally goes through the metal (if it's light enough to wear it's also pretty thin) and on into the person wearing it....

However, fire a beam of coherent light at that same person and what happens? (Hint - shine a torch at a mirror and look at the wall behind you!)

Lasers look good on sci-fi films because sci-fi film makers don't give their soldiers shiny metal armour, and it's all H.G. Well's fault!

Sorry, I have a bee in my bonnet about laser guns. The most efficient form of energy to kill another living creature is still kinetic energy!

Quote from: mia h on January 31, 2013, 01:05:21 PM
Seems like it has possibilities, almost seems like a time travel thing advanced humans going back to the bronze kinda thing.
Be interesting to think about what limits the crashed ship has, having a pistol in the bronze age would get you a certain amount of "respect" when you shot the first person trying to attack you, but if you've only got 6 bullets what happens when the 7th person comes after you?

Of course if all the natives looked like this, that wouldn't hurt either

Six bullets when the seventh person comes after you...

Please take a look at the battle of Isandlwana, in which a badly led British army, armed with breach-loading single shot rifles capable of firing something like five rounds a minute were defeated by a better led Zulu army, armed with spears and leather shields!

What you do, having fired your sixth shot, is either reload as quickly as you can (the invention of the clip was designed to make this easier - with some revolvers it is possible to remove the empty cylinder and replace it with a loaded one in a relatively short time), run as fast as you can, or pick up the gun that your fallen comrade has just dropped that still has bullets in it!

So, Eve...

You say there will be conflict amongst the crew regarding how to treat the natives.

I would imagine that there would also be an equal level of conflict amongst the natives, ranging from "The gods walk among us" to "They are just men like us and should be put to death for blasphemy!"

Rome in the 1st century, hmm? That's actually steel age, not bronze.

Character sheet will be otw in a few...

Prince Truhan

Quote from: Chrystal on February 10, 2013, 12:34:30 PM
Six bullets when the seventh person comes after you...

Please take a look at the battle of Isandlwana, in which a badly led British army, armed with breach-loading single shot rifles capable of firing something like five rounds a minute were defeated by a better led Zulu army, armed with spears and leather shields!

What you do, having fired your sixth shot, is either reload as quickly as you can (the invention of the clip was designed to make this easier - with some revolvers it is possible to remove the empty cylinder and replace it with a loaded one in a relatively short time), run as fast as you can, or pick up the gun that your fallen comrade has just dropped that still has bullets in it!

There is also the connecticut yankee's way, when he was facing all of the knights at once, he claimed he was doing magic, after killing almost 12 with his revolvers the rest decided charging at him wasn't such a good idea

RedEve

Quote from: Chrystal on February 10, 2013, 11:27:15 AM
Human, I would imagine...

We are assuming, then, an earth-type world with about the same sidereal and diurnal periods? Can we at least have two moons? *giggles*

We can have three if you like. And two suns. :P

Chrystal

That only works if your primitives aren't suicidal, desperate, or convinced that it is better to die in battle than to live as slaves....

Or convinced that you are going to kill them anyway!

A proud people will charge machine guns (or plasma turrets if you prefer) armed with bone knives rather than submit and if they keep on comming, sooner or later, Little Big Horn!