News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Battletech

Started by Jack Stryker, March 13, 2010, 02:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Stryker

Yeah, 3042 it seems.  Everything is fairly quiet in the inner sphere, so it's the perfect time for all hell to break loose on some random planet.

Calista Jade

And of course I only have tactical handbooks for 3055 and above... lol
As of Feb 28th : Work is kicking my ass! I will post this weekend!!!

Ons and Offs

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Calista Jade on March 18, 2010, 05:59:27 PM
And of course I only have tactical handbooks for 3055 and above... lol
http://www.solaris7.com/TRO/HTMLBattleMech/index.asp
set the year and your good, might want to double check the exact date on the sarna battletech wiki, but this is good for getting a idea of whats available ^^

thanks again for that site ana!

Anathanasia

You're welcome, Darkling.

I hope to submit something too, Jack, I'm just all over the place with concepts, though. Can't settle on what I'd like to do, exactly, but I'll settle soon.
A Special Craving: Rookie Cop has a Bad Day

My Cravings & Desires: Six Ideas in Search of a GM, Solo System RPs

Avatar provided with permission by the artist, Vaesark!

Jack Stryker

Well, so far i've got one profile set up besides my own.  Thus far there's not really a cutoff for amount or deadline for getting a profile in.  Let me know if you need any help setting something up, i'd be glad to help.

NotoriusBEN

Not sure about Homeworlds? This Map has a BUNCH listed at various timelines (click the 3040 timeline since we are playing in 3042) and this Database has a small summary of world histories. Also with that BattleMech database, if you only see MP in the walking and running speed, take that number and multiply it by 10.8. That will give you your kph.

If you want me to choose a different portrait, I can. I just prefer cartoony ones.

Name: Baromer Weissin
Unit: Stryker's Strikers
Height: 5'8''
Homeworld: Cartago
History: Baro grew up on the unremarkable planet of Cartago until the 4th Succession War brought the planet to the forefront. Enlisting into the service at 19, it wasn't until he was 24 that the Draconis Combine commandos attacked the relatively undefended planet. Most of Cartago's forces were deployed to other fronts leaving only 3 infantry and light armor regiments to fight a Mech regiment. The battle was decidedly one sided. Pissed off at the DCMS for destroying much of the infrastructure of his homeworld and fed up with Davion politics, Baro decided to transfer into Merc business. Staying busy for two years in and out of different Merc Units, Baro has managed to salvage a Death Knight from a Capellian Campaign and has since decided to settle in with the Strikers after numerous fruitful contracts.

Black Knight
Chassis: DHK-4 (Death Knight Variant), further modified with Jump Jet/ Heat Sink swap
Engine: 300 Fusion
Mass: 75 tons
Max Walk Speed: 43.2 kph
Max Run Speed: 64.8 kph
Jump Jets: NONE
Jump Range: 0m
Armor: 11 tons Standard
Heat Sinks: 20 Standard
Weapons:
--PPC [Right Arm]
--Large Laser x2 [Right Torso, Left Torso]
--Medium Laser x2 [Right Torso, Left Torso]
--Small Laser x4 [Left Arm]

Equipment:
--Heat Sinks [Engine x10, Center Torso x3, Right Torso x3, Left Torso x3, Head x1]

RubySlippers

Anyone know a good site that has Battletech vehicle design help I played the game but don't have the system it just cost to much and I don't play that much a few times a year.

I'm looking for a nice hovertank, decent scouting speed as in FAST and enough tactical support to pick off damaged mechs if lucky. I kind of like the scouting roll and a hovertank can be better than a mech I find. I was thinking long range missles, one medium laser just in case she does end up close and passing armor and large engine. But without the design rules could use some help. I was thinking its odd she would be going to to toe with a mech but more ,say, a pilot says this mech looks exposed shoot at him. LRM away! When she could get past the armor in spots she could get lucky. Anyway better to risk her scouting than a decent mech.  ;)

I block OM's just let me know here if you can help and I'll buddy you up.

ChaoticSky

i am reasonably sure your supposed to PM it to him Noto :P

also, that mecha overheats... badly, 18 points o_o

RubySlippers

Well I need a vehicle for my character so does anyone have the design books and can help me its a simple request. I just need a decent fast and agile hovertank and would like it custom I figure she got a chassis with an engine then using spare parts from what the mech people didn't want and made do. lol

My character herself is done. A strait-forward tank pilot with well a hovertank its not a mech but its her baby. And someone has to scout and all.

ChaoticSky

NotoriusBEN

Yep, I PM'd as well, Darkling. I just thought I'd keep the thread alive and let people see another character sheet so they can maybe spark an idea. :P

I've not had much experience with tanks (other than the ones that I would pop in the computer games). But looking over them, it feels like a tank could be a sniper if it had decent enough speed and a heavy enough weapon. Correct me if Im wrong.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on March 20, 2010, 02:34:40 PM
Yep, I PM'd as well, Darkling. I just thought I'd keep the thread alive and let people see another character sheet so they can maybe spark an idea. :P
aha, clever :P

Anathanasia

Quote from: RubySlippers on March 20, 2010, 02:23:43 PM
Well I need a vehicle for my character so does anyone have the design books and can help me its a simple request. I just need a decent fast and agile hovertank and would like it custom I figure she got a chassis with an engine then using spare parts from what the mech people didn't want and made do. lol

My character herself is done. A strait-forward tank pilot with well a hovertank its not a mech but its her baby. And someone has to scout and all.

This is one of my all time fave hovertanks. FAST as all hell, though lightly armoured, and there's a variant with a LRM 10. You have to keep in mind energy weapons don't work so well on conventional vehicles; the power amp and requirement to mount enough heatsinks to dissipate ALL heat every turn really packs the weight on. I can't recall and hovertanks with fusion engines off hand.

Harasser Missile Platform
Solaris7 sheet

Jack Stryker

Tanks are still used somewhat regularly in the inner sphere.  However, only the heaviest, most heavily armed and armored have even stood toe-to-toe with a battlemech of any size and managed to slug it out, let alone win.  Most times any armor kills come from other armor units, and battlemechs they gang up on and concentrate fire toward.  You can choose a tank as your vehicle, just don't expect to win the war by yourself... or even small skirmishes.  An aerospace fighter has a much better chance of taking down a 'mech simply because of its mobility.  Hard to get a target lock on something that's 100 meters in a different spot every second.

The Great Triangle

Though to be fair, aerospace fighters are apparently even more rare and expensive than battlemechs.  (Mostly because they would muscle them out of the setting otherwise)
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Jack Stryker

Doing good with the profiles so far, but right now i've only got a couple of them from everyone, not including mine.  Also, I've decided to replace my character's Marauder II with a modified Highlander.

Highlander
Chassis: HGN-733
Engine: 270 GM Fusion
Mass: 90 tons
Max Walk Speed: 32.4kph
Max Speed: 54kph
Jump Jets: Right Leg, Left Leg, Center Torso
Jump Range: 90m
Armor: 17.5 tons Standard
Heat Sinks: 16 Double
Weapons:
--ER PPC [Right Arm]
--Large Pulse Laser [Right Torso]
--Medium Laser [Right Torso]
--LRM-15 [Left Torso] (2 tons ammunition; Left Torso)
--Streak SRM-2 [Left Arm] (1 ton ammunition; Left Torso)
--Machine Gun [Left Arm] (1 ton ammunition; Left Torso)
Equipment:
--CASE [Left Torso]
--Artemis IV FCS [Left Torso] (Connected with LRM-15)
--Searchlight [Head]

RubySlippers

Quote from: Jack Stryker on March 20, 2010, 03:12:30 PM
Tanks are still used somewhat regularly in the inner sphere.  However, only the heaviest, most heavily armed and armored have even stood toe-to-toe with a battlemech of any size and managed to slug it out, let alone win.  Most times any armor kills come from other armor units, and battlemechs they gang up on and concentrate fire toward.  You can choose a tank as your vehicle, just don't expect to win the war by yourself... or even small skirmishes.  An aerospace fighter has a much better chance of taking down a 'mech simply because of its mobility.  Hard to get a target lock on something that's 100 meters in a different spot every second.

I ran scout tanks I usually get kills in games that way by hitting mechs at range after they are mauled and I get lucky. But it just takes a few missles in the right spot to ruin a huge mechs day. Of course you have to find the mechs to attack and aerospace fighters are rare I would think so a hovertank is not a bad backup. And the one recommended would be good very very fast and can pop off missles at really damaged mechs.

Harasser with LRM-10 sounds good she can find the bad guys, evade like hell and when she gets a decent shot or a crippled mech can slip in to exploit the opening with a missle barrage, when ordered.

Jack Stryker

Exactly.  I'm quite open to having people using tanks, even regular infantry if you're brave enough.

NotoriusBEN

The only time I ever felt safe as an infantry man in BattleTech was when I was in Power Armor. I mean, yea, you need people on foot to garrison worlds and go into buildings, but damn the mortality rate is a bitch, second only to VTOL pilots (pretty sure about the numbers, anyway).

I'd think that infantry is better left to other outfits, unless we somehow manage to have Power Armor eight years before the Clans arrive. Just my opinion though.

Jack Stryker

I wish we could add battle armor, but the only way to possibly do it is to throw in prototype armor from some star league research outpost.  Otherwise, it's just PBI (Poor Bloody Infantry) with satchel charges and death wishes.

One thing I have to mention, there are still slots open for Company commanders.  I already have people for the command lance and for random slots, but I feel that we could do more with some officers of higher rank.

Ramael

Definately no Clanners here then? Strictly IS?

I always thought the Clanners had some good sexual tension going, even if they were a bit stuck up.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Jack Stryker on March 21, 2010, 12:28:57 AM
One thing I have to mention, there are still slots open for Company commanders.  I already have people for the command lance and for random slots, but I feel that we could do more with some officers of higher rank.

Can you stick up a list of who / what has been claimed already? Command lance, striker lance, scout lance or whatever we are going to have?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Anathanasia

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 21, 2010, 08:50:09 AM
Can you stick up a list of who / what has been claimed already? Command lance, striker lance, scout lance or whatever we are going to have?

I know my character is in the command lance. She's Jack's bodyguard, whether he likes it or not. ;)

I may be speaking out of turn, but with so few characters already submitted I suspect most positions are still open. I'd bet you can pretty much pick whatever you like and it'll be worked in, especially considering we are doing a full regiment, aren't we? If that's all mechs, that's like 124 mechwarriors.

((3 companies of 12 per battalion + battalion command lance) x 3 battalions) + regimental command lance

Regimental command could even be a whole company.

Hell, hopefully we can move to a full OOC thread soon and Jack can put up at least an outline, even if most of the positions aren't filled in. I suddenly find myself rather curious about our composition here!

HairyHeretic

If we're playing mercs we're likely to be about company sized, I'd imagine.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

NotoriusBEN

Quote from: Ramael on March 21, 2010, 08:41:16 AM
Definately no Clanners here then? Strictly IS?

I always thought the Clanners had some good sexual tension going, even if they were a bit stuck up.

We are playing in the year 3042, which is eight years before the clans made an appearance. Im sure there are insurgents (most notably those of Wolf's Dragoons) but yes, this is going to be Inner Sphere.