Interest check - D&D 3.5 in Regency England

Started by HopeFox, December 20, 2014, 01:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kckolbe

I kind of like the idea of the GM offering a few dice roll results and letting everyone choose from them, that way everyone is on the same page, luck-wise. 
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

RubySlippers

Well this works for me, not fancy but one high ability and the rest falling into the average range. And everyone knows Gingers have no soul.  ;D

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1079942

Chulanowa

I would honestly prefer point buy to dice. It's more consistent and nobody gets stuck with a Charisma 13 sorcerer  :-)

So far, we have... what is it, a ranger, an archivist, telepath, warblade, and sorcerer?

kckolbe

Chula, I'm pretty sure no one is locked in.  This doesn't seem like a first come, first serve game.  And for the roll options, the GM would provide the numbers, but we could assign them wherever.  Point buy works, but it skews too much toward well-rounded chars, which isn't always fun.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Kimmy

Quote from: Chulanowa on December 21, 2014, 04:58:55 PM
So far, we have... what is it, a ranger, an archivist, telepath, warblade, and sorcerer?

And a Rogue Werewolf. Just to be complicated.
Posting rate: Moderate       Currently Chasing: Playful, Romance & Something Rough.
A&A           RL Issues: Some Insomnia.
Offsite RP's: 2 online + 1 RL. Currently Craving: Romance and just a touch of something darker...

RubySlippers

Quote from: kckolbe on December 21, 2014, 05:02:33 PM
Chula, I'm pretty sure no one is locked in.  This doesn't seem like a first come, first serve game.  And for the roll options, the GM would provide the numbers, but we could assign them wherever.  Point buy works, but it skews too much toward well-rounded chars, which isn't always fun.

Well the classic rolling the dice worked for me, but a Battle Sorcerer is not overly complicated.

HopeFox

Hey gang! The OOC thread is up and running now. There's a short discussion on how I intend to run the game with the number of players we have interested, and then stuff about character creation, house rules and the setting.

I've put the game in Light Exotic because I'm not anticipating much in the way of non-con sexual activity, but there are definitely going to be non-human opportunities.
If you're such an iconoclast, where were you when we trashed Constantinople?

HopeFox

Okay, having read this in more detail, I'm pretty happy with most of it!

I have to ask, though - are you familiar with the character Kait Galweigh, from the novel Diplomacy of Wolves? Vittoria reminds me of her quite a bit.

Quote from: Kimmy on December 21, 2014, 05:36:56 AM
The Household of Cerebus

~ Lord Venturo Cerebus, married to Lady Isabella Cerebus.
When Venturo took his place as head of the family, he sought out druids to help him build up his lands. He worked with their advice, planning the crops so the land could flow and flourish. Their advice helped him produce wines with a taste beyond anything they had made before. Their brand became well sought - but it was the English that offered the best price for fine exotic wine. Espcially if it was French Elven in origin. Venturo traveled to England, hoping to secure business relations with one of the merchant houses. One house offered him his chance. They had land they wished to see utilized as a winery. With his help, they could develop a second wine field - and they would ensure his wines reached the best merchants for the best prices. Should the arrangement work out, they might even offer Venturo or perhaps one of his future sons marriage with one of their daughters.

But then feud turned to war. The merchant house was hit hard - their boys killed in war, their lands burned by spell and fire, their daughters left alone to marry or fall poor. Venturo had watched all this - trapped by the warfront. He had seen their eldest stand delicate yet resolute against all that befell them. And he stood in awe of her strength and pride. When he offered his hand - and wealth to repair their lands, he wasn't refused. Despite his lack of title, he could provide for them all. Venturo called druids to repair his lands, following well their advice - and demonstrating what he had learnt working his own lands. When he spoke of war and his inability to defend his family, they offered him a means. A magic that could sustain within his blood. It would give him strength inhuman and vitality enough to ignore mortal wounds. There would be a price - to maintain his lands. All his lands. For the power within his blood would be a reflection of those lands. If he let them to barren ruin, so would his line fall barren. If they fell to disease, so would his blood grow weak. If he allowed corruption, so would his heart blacken. But if he cared well for his land, tended their disaster and soothed their ills, then his blood would flow strong with the magic. And all his line would carry this gift!

The gift of lycanthropy gave him the power to survive the trials ahead. He went to war, seeking to protect his home. He returned to discover he had three daughters - triplets though they bore only similarity in resemblance and nature. And thus he set about rebuilding his home and land, so his daughters would rise strong and powerful.

~ Twin Sister Dionora: Dionora is more wolf than human, with her behavior quite problematic for her teachers. She is a willful, playful child who responds far too strongly to male company. Her tutors fear she would be impossible to wed with such scandalous ways. It is even rumored this incorrigble playful behaviour towards young men might delay her London season a year. Though presenting three twinned daughters would be difficult for any family - let alone one of new money and title. Dionora just enjoys male company. She is happiest when she had a few boys to play amongst one another. She may well settle for one who is strong enough to keep her his - though her playful ways suggest that any rake of a man might end up with a wife not opposed to more open arrangements when it comes to the marital beds.

~ Twin Sister Lucieta: Lucieta is more human than wolf - and she doesn't appear to be able to transform. A fact she considers to be a blessing - she can live out a normal life. She looks forward to her first season about London, hoping to find herself respectable husband. Though she still demonstrates the wolfish qualities - seeking out a desirable, dominant man she can influence and manage with a delicate but resolute hand - just like her mother. She is very loyal and obedient in her ways - and it is expected that she will be the first to marry & the daughter to inherit the family title (unless her husband already has title and wouldn't mind endowing it upon the husband of another daughter).

I like this story! I just want to make sure that I follow it correctly. Venturo is Vittoria's father? He's the head of an Italian merchant family, and wanted to establish ties with an English merchant house. The English house took a lot of damage in various wars, but Venturo's intervention, with help from some druids, was able to restore their lands, along with the druids introducing lycanthropy to his family. The family now lives primarily in England, and they own land but no particular title in England? Have I got that right?

I like her personality a lot. I think she will be a great deal of fun.

QuoteLanguages: Italian, English & Wolf/Canine. (Canines don't speak with intelligence, but Vittoria can read them to understand what they are trying to say with their barks and body language, whilst also utilizing her own body language to ensure they understand her emotions and stance as well).
Other languages might be Elvish or a non-human tongue native to Italy.

There isn't really such a thing as a canine language, but being a werewolf does give Vittoria some measure of empathy with dogs and wolves. It's a class feature from the werewolf template class, but I'm happy for her to have a basic understanding of canine emotions from the start, and they certainly won't attack her.

So, yeah, I definitely like her! Have a look at the character creation information I've put on the OOC thread and we'll see what we can do!

Kimmy

QuoteI like this story! I just want to make sure that I follow it correctly. Venturo is Vittoria's father? He's the head of an Italian merchant family, and wanted to establish ties with an English merchant house. The English house took a lot of damage in various wars, but Venturo's intervention, with help from some druids, was able to restore their lands, along with the druids introducing lycanthropy to his family. The family now lives primarily in England, and they own land but no particular title in England? Have I got that right?

Almost right. There should be a title. Venturo is her father and he is without title. He heads to England - hoping to make his fortune. There he establishes ties with a merchant family. War devastates the merchant family and their lands. Venturo offers marriage and wealth to save them - becoming Heir to the Merchant family's title. A minor title and it's just one title - but it's still a title and now Venturo is Lord Venturo. Jump forward 16 years or so and we have three sisters, all grown up and ready to enter society. They, being triplets, are all possible heiresses to the title - and of course all will be well provided for. So they are great catches for any fortune hunter - or perhaps even another rising middle class family on the look out for a title? Or perhaps some unfortunate rogue off to create scandal, kidnap a daughter and force her marriage?

Of course, the family is still cursed - and most imporantly, their curse ties them to their lands. The well being on their lands is reflected in their bestial nature. So if their lands flourish, so will the family. But fire, drought, plague, magic, war - all these things could alter or ruin the land. And with it, the families health, sanity - perhaps even their control over their bestial nature could alter. So you have some fun elements to play with.
Another thought is that anything that anything with a strong magic and alignment that settled into Cerebus lands could affect the families alignment. Demon infestations could make them CE. Devils LE. Holy Churches might start influences towards that god's alignment and ideals.

On Lycanthropy - normally were-wolves are Chaotic Evil in D&D. But it is stated that their alignment is also based upon the *social perception*. So Werewolves are destructive and evil - CE. Bears are loyal defenders - LG. Whatever society believes the creatures to represent, is what were-wolves embody. I thought druids might see wolves as loyal predators of nature. Lawful Neutral alignment seeming quite appropriate with their strong pack structure. So the whole family is skewed towards Lawful Neutral alignments. And they might follow nature's laws more than England's laws.

On canine language - I just thought it was a good place to list it as a skill. Some people can talk to dogs and get them to follow their commands easily. Some can read dogs and tell you what their really trying to say. And most people can kinda do this and often misconstrue their animal's efforts. As a were-wolf, its basically a native language and I thought it was worth noting. It probably won't help much - unless we're trying to track some villain who actually kicked a puppy or shot a wolf or something. But say, getting past guard dogs might not be all that hard.

^_^
Posting rate: Moderate       Currently Chasing: Playful, Romance & Something Rough.
A&A           RL Issues: Some Insomnia.
Offsite RP's: 2 online + 1 RL. Currently Craving: Romance and just a touch of something darker...

Angie

I think I'm gonna drop on this one, due to issues that have come up (see signature) and I still have yet to watch anything to do with the setting. My apologies, hope you guys have fun!
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

kckolbe

Just to confirm, languages are being handled according to the setting and not by race?

Intro Thread

HopeFox

Quote from: Kimmy on December 22, 2014, 08:36:50 AM
Almost right. There should be a title. Venturo is her father and he is without title. He heads to England - hoping to make his fortune. There he establishes ties with a merchant family. War devastates the merchant family and their lands. Venturo offers marriage and wealth to save them - becoming Heir to the Merchant family's title. A minor title and it's just one title - but it's still a title and now Venturo is Lord Venturo. Jump forward 16 years or so and we have three sisters, all grown up and ready to enter society. They, being triplets, are all possible heiresses to the title - and of course all will be well provided for. So they are great catches for any fortune hunter - or perhaps even another rising middle class family on the look out for a title? Or perhaps some unfortunate rogue off to create scandal, kidnap a daughter and force her marriage?

Okay, that makes sense. We'll say the title is a barony, then? So Isabella is the daughter of the English family, whom Venturo married? Is Venturo the actual holder of the barony now, or is Isabella the actual peer, with Venturo wielding most of the power in her name?

Yes, there are a lot of things that can happen with Vittoria and her sisters at this point. Very good.  >:)

QuoteOf course, the family is still cursed - and most imporantly, their curse ties them to their lands. The well being on their lands is reflected in their bestial nature. So if their lands flourish, so will the family. But fire, drought, plague, magic, war - all these things could alter or ruin the land. And with it, the families health, sanity - perhaps even their control over their bestial nature could alter. So you have some fun elements to play with.
Another thought is that anything that anything with a strong magic and alignment that settled into Cerebus lands could affect the families alignment. Demon infestations could make them CE. Devils LE. Holy Churches might start influences towards that god's alignment and ideals.

On Lycanthropy - normally were-wolves are Chaotic Evil in D&D. But it is stated that their alignment is also based upon the *social perception*. So Werewolves are destructive and evil - CE. Bears are loyal defenders - LG. Whatever society believes the creatures to represent, is what were-wolves embody. I thought druids might see wolves as loyal predators of nature. Lawful Neutral alignment seeming quite appropriate with their strong pack structure. So the whole family is skewed towards Lawful Neutral alignments. And they might follow nature's laws more than England's laws.

Yeah, I'm not going to force alignment change on you due to the lycanthropy rules. The lycanthrope class looks pretty balanced to me, and I can see that you're going to roleplay the difficulties involved with being a werewolf, so I don't feel that I need to impose anything extra. I like the ties to the land - that's a very werewolf thing, I think.

QuoteOn canine language - I just thought it was a good place to list it as a skill. Some people can talk to dogs and get them to follow their commands easily. Some can read dogs and tell you what their really trying to say. And most people can kinda do this and often misconstrue their animal's efforts. As a were-wolf, its basically a native language and I thought it was worth noting. It probably won't help much - unless we're trying to track some villain who actually kicked a puppy or shot a wolf or something. But say, getting past guard dogs might not be all that hard.

^_^

It's worth noting, sure. And getting along well with dogs is a pretty useful skill in the days before electronic security systems (and even now, really!).

Quote from: Angiejuusan on December 22, 2014, 12:46:10 PM
I think I'm gonna drop on this one, due to issues that have come up (see signature) and I still have yet to watch anything to do with the setting. My apologies, hope you guys have fun!

It's quite alright. Thank you for considering it, and I hope your technical issues are resolved to your satisfaction soon.

Quote from: kckolbe on December 22, 2014, 01:50:08 PM
Just to confirm, languages are being handled according to the setting and not by race?

Yes, the humanoid racial languages don't exist. Draconic and Sylvan do, though, as do the elemental and outer planes tongues, because they are more magical and eternal in nature. (They aren't very good at describing modern concepts like steam engines and democracy, though.)

Reia

I'm going to withdraw my interest; unfortunately I don't have as much time as I'd like to dedicate to a more complex character development. :)
[tr][td]

Updated: 03/24/19
[/td][td]
Updated: 06/24/12
[/td][td]
Updated: 07/20/15
[/td][td]
Posted: 11/24/14
[/td][td]
Updated: 03/04/19
[/td][/tr][/table]

RubySlippers

I'm coming along but need to figure out is she living with her folks, her mentor or someplace else?

And I would like a professional partner if anyone else is playing a rogue as long as they follow a basic code of honor as a professional and is good at burglary or something.