Way of the Wicked (Pathfinder) Recruitment Thread

Started by Pointless Digression, December 10, 2012, 05:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kdyami

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on December 11, 2012, 03:58:56 PM
Anyone want to play a strong male submissive to go opposite my prettyboy male spellcaster?

You might ask PhantomPistoleer.  He made a post about "sidekick"

Quote from: Roketto on December 11, 2012, 04:01:34 PM
Ahh, ok, that makes a whooooole lot more sense.  I've been playing in the Pathfinder setting for just over two years now, so I'm fairly familiar with it.
yup :)
Hey all I'm property of the U.S government and as such I may randomly disappear for a day or two.  I apologize in advance but I'll get back to you ASAP

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Kdyami on December 11, 2012, 04:06:09 PM
You might ask PhantomPistoleer.  He made a post about "sidekick"

Ah I see his post, Hmm he is almost exactly what im looking for. Lets hope the reverse applies.
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

TheRaven

"Hey," said Shadow. "Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are"
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.
"Say 'Nevermore,'" said Shadow.
"Fuck you," said the raven.

CrazyIvan

So... is there anyone who wants to know about the Stormlords more intimately than just a random stranger or what you have been taught in history class/rumors? Just curious if anyone wants to have been related to the Stormlord house in anyway, or if someone had a family that might have told them more and might recognize my character for who she is?

PaleEnchantress

Im really interested in playing a Witch or a Psion (telepath). However if I dont have a partner/sidekick/lacky/sex slave/ ect I'm not sure i'll want to play. I have several games on the boards. Im hoping for a little something extra in any new ones I join.

This does look like a fun game though.

ManyMindsManyVoices

Quote from: Joslyn on December 11, 2012, 03:48:30 PM
I have a suggestion--maybe there could be an optional earlier IC start of the PCs just cooling their heels in the prison together? It would be a chance to start exploring the interpersonal relationships before the action begins after Christmas.

"I agree with this idea, I definitely prefer to explore relationships by playing them out, especially if the characters are, for the most part, strangers."

EDIT: "In fact, Jos, I'm happy to do this by PM with the GM's blessing, whether we do it officially or not."
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

Roketto

I like this idea of the characters having some general IC-ness even before the game begins (should Jhonan make the cut, of course).

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Roketto on December 11, 2012, 04:59:05 PM
I like this idea of the characters having some general IC-ness even before the game begins (should Jhonan make the cut, of course).

It is a lovely Idea.

Kdyami

Hey all I'm property of the U.S government and as such I may randomly disappear for a day or two.  I apologize in advance but I'll get back to you ASAP

ManyMindsManyVoices

Quote from: Joslyn on December 11, 2012, 07:56:48 AM
I’m very interested in this one, though I don’t have any experience with pathfinder (I do have some with 3.5). My idea is for a half-elf cleric of Asmodeus who has worked as a courtesan to spy and kill for her church/cult (I’m hoping to get bluff as a class skill and would be willing to trade off something else for it in order to fit the character concept). If what I have here is accepted I can start on the crunchy character sheet stuff.

"By the way, Jos, if we're using Traits, you can use those to get Bluff as a class skill. The default is that every character gets 2 traits."

TheRaven

Anyone have an objection to a Vishkanya Antipalidin with a knack for distance combat?
"Hey," said Shadow. "Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are"
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.
"Say 'Nevermore,'" said Shadow.
"Fuck you," said the raven.

PaleEnchantress

Pointless Digression

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on December 11, 2012, 03:35:18 PM
"I'm an anarchist, in real life, so my characters tend to avoid being servile to anything. I can play it, and don't think I'll be instantly defiant if we're expected to be in the service of some entity, I just tend to avoid it on a personal level. However, in the end, given how much interest there is in casters so far, I'm thinking of going with Magus, leaning on the 'Fighter-y' side... Sort of..."

Fair enough. You can worship an abstract concept, philosophical principle, or metaphysical ideal, if you would like.

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on December 11, 2012, 03:35:18 PM
"Before I progress to a few characters questions. How many of us do you expect to take on? If I counted right, there are 11 people interested, and as much as I love interest and character interaction, 11 people in one group is... pretty ridiculous. I'd hate to suggest throwing people out, but (and this is just my thought if you even remotely care) I wouldn't take more than 8, even that could be a bit much."

Yeah. That's where things are going to get tough for me in the near future. I'm going to limit the size of the game to 4-6 players. Which means that some people who are excellent writers with excellent characters are going to get cut. Nothing I can do about that.

I have a suggestion--maybe there could be an optional earlier IC start of the PCs just cooling their heels in the prison together? It would be a chance to start exploring the interpersonal relationships before the action begins after Christmas.

Brilliant! I'll make a thread and allow optional, IC exchanges once I confirm two players.

Also, I have a question about the setting: would a religion dedicated to Asmodeus be out in the open or more of a secret cult? It can be hard to tell with Lawful Evil types. Any other info about the setting would be helpful as well.

Information on that will be forthcoming in a future post (by the end of the night) but short answer: up until the recent past, Albion worshiped a pantheon of gods that included Asmodeus. The most recent two monarchs abolished the pantheism, declared the church of Sol Invictus to be the state religion, and began systematically persecuting, arresting, and executing followers of Asmodeus.

Quote from: Roketto on December 11, 2012, 02:06:39 PM
Ooookay.  Just makin' sure here, but are we talking about the Eagle Knights of the Golarion setting?  If so, this is horribly, horribly, out of character for that organization, and much though I love to torment Andorans, every aspect of that nation is pretty staunchly anti-slavery.  Even when it comes to half-orcs and monsters.  Heck, they even view commanding the undead as the ultimate form of slavery, so...  Yeah.  I don't think that group is the group you're thinking of...

Just to clarify, this is not the official Paizo pathfinder campaign setting. This is based on third party publishers, modified by yours truly. Again, setting info will come in one of my next few posts.

Pointless Digression

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on December 11, 2012, 05:50:40 PM
"By the way, Jos, if we're using Traits, you can use those to get Bluff as a class skill. The default is that every character gets 2 traits."

Speaking of which:

Campaign Traits
Crimes of the Forsaken

Each character chooses one heinous crime that has earned them a place in Bleakguard Prison. Each crime is associated with a trait of the same name. You may have committed many crimes during your lifetime, but this is the crime that finally got you branded and condemned.

This list of twenty crimes is not intended to be comprehensive. Feel free to invent your own crime, punishment and benefit of the trait (with my approval of course). Besides simply choosing a crime, you should also consider how the crime was done. Was this a well planned criminal enterprise or a crime of passion? Did you do it alone or did you have accomplices? Was this the first time you did this crime or are you a repeat offender? Answering these questions will help flesh out your character’s background.

This has been said before, but it bears repeating. Your character actually perpetrated this crime. You may have done it for what seemed like noble reasons. You may have gotten entangled in this criminal enterprise unwillingly. But there is no doubt that you are guilty. You have not been sentenced to the worse prison in Albion unjustly. You are here because you deserve to be.

Arson: You have willfully started a fire that destroyed property. To be sent to Bleakguard, you didn’t start just a minor little trash fire. Your act of arson threatened a major town, city, church or castle and likely cost someone their life. You’ll be punished for your crime by facing the fire yourself.
Punishment: Death by burning
Benefit: Whenever you score a critical hit with a fire attack, you receive a +2 fire damage bonus to your damage roll. This bonus is a trait bonus.

Attempted Murder: You tried to kill someone and botched the job. To be sent to Bleakguard Prison, you did not try to kill just anyone. You likely assaulted someone of great importance and prominence.
Punishment: Death by beheading
Benefit: You gain a +2 trait bonus to Intimidate checks, and Intimidate is always a class skill for you.

Blasphemy: Either you have defamed the great god Sol Invictus or you have been found guilty of worshipping one of the forbidden deities (preeminent among them is Asmodeus).
Benefit: +2 trait bonus to Knowledge (religion) and Knowledge (religion) is always a class skill for you.

Consorting with the Dark Powers (Witchcraft): You have been found guilty of summoning an evil outsider. Likely you were captured by the famed witch hunter Sir Ector of Carfeld. The last thing he said to you was, “May Sol have mercy upon your wretched, damned soul.” If only you could get a chance at revenge!
Benefit: You receive a +1 trait bonus to Knowledge (planes) and Knowledge (arcana) checks, and one of these skills (your choice) is always a class skill for you.

Desecration: You have violated one of the churchs, cathedrals or holy shrines of the great god Sol Invictus. To be sent to Bleakguard this was no minor act of vandalism. Instead you have done something flagrant and spectacular to dishonor the Unconquered Sun.
Benefit: You receive +1 trait bonus on all saving throws against divine spells.

Desertion: You have deserted from the Albion military and been recaptured. To get sent to Bleakguard this was not some minor or routine dereliction of duty. Instead, you abandoned your post during a time of crisis -- perhaps battle or while defending the Watch Wall. Regardless of the exact circumstances, your laziness and cowardness must have caused loss of life.
Punishment: Death by hanging
Benefit: You receive one bonus skill point per level that must be spent on the Profession (Soldier) skill. Profession (Soldier) is always a class skill for you.

Dueling unto Death: You have engaged in a duel to the death and mortally wounded an opponent. The opponent was honorable enough to say nothing before he expired. Alas that his family or companions was nowhere near so honorable. Dueling was once common in Albion before the House of Magnus came to power. The previous ruling family all but encouraged duels of honor. Now, dueling of any sort is punished severely. Dueling to the death is a sure way to be sent to Bleakguard Prison.
Benefit: You gain a +1 trait bonus to Fortitude saves

Extortion: You have defrauded money from someone by holding information of their wrongdoing over their heads. To end up in Bleakguard, this was no minor act of merely threatening to expose someone. Instead you have attempted extortion against someone of great prominence and for exorbitant stakes.
Punishment: Life at hard labor in the salt mines
Benefit: You receive a +2 trait bonus to Intimidate checks, and Intimidate is always a class skill for you.

Forgery: You have forged documents issued either by the crown or by the Church of Sol Invictus. Alas, that your forgery, while competent, was not perfect. To be sent to Bleakguard, this was no minor bit of paperwork. This forged document could have cost lives, undermined the reputation of the Church or endangered the security of the realm.
Benefit: You gain a +3 trait bonus to Linguistics skill checks to commit forgery and Linguistics is always a class skill for you.

Fraud: You tried to bilk someone out of their cash. To end up in Bleakguard Prison, this was no petty con job or penny-ante racket. Instead, you brazenly tried to defraud someone important of a huge sum of money. And it almost worked too!
Benefit: You receive a +2 trait bonus to Bluff checks and Bluff is always a class kill for you.

Grave Robbery: It is forbidden by sacred law to dishonor a corpse after it is been sealed in its tomb by a clergy of the Invictan faith. Some may not honor this ban: necromancers, golem crafters, self-styled scientists, and alchemists delving into the forbidden secrets of life and death. These ghouls can expect no mercy from the Albion Magistrates. And by sending you to Bleakguard Prison, you have received none.
Benefit: You receive a +1 trait bonus to confirm critical hits.

Heresy: You have denied the supremacy of Sol Invictus and been condemned for it. For this to be a crime, you were not content to keep your heresy to yourself. You tried to sway others. Likely you were captured by the famed witch hunter Sir Ector of Carfeld. The last thing he said to you was: “Sol may forgive you yet for your lies. Albion will not.” If only you could get a chance at revenge!
Punishment: Death by burning.
Benefit: You receive a +1 trait bonus on all saving throws against divine spells.

High Theft: You had a foolproof plan to steal some great treasure. Alas, the scheme had a fatal flaw and went horribly awry. To be sent to Bleakguard prison, this was no ordinary robbery attempt. You tried to steal something of great value or religious significance.
Benefit: You receive a +1 trait bonus to Reflex saves.

High Treason: You have willfully worked to bring down the current monarch of Albion -- the beloved King Darius V of House Magnus. To be successfully tried for High Treason you have done more than merely dislike the king, you did something tangible to undermine his rule. Alas, that you failed at your plot and are now headed to Bleakguard Prison. Treason is the only crime that is still punished by the gruesome ritual of being drawn and quartered. Your stay at Bleakguard will be brief.
Punishment: Death by drawing and quartering
Benefit: You receive a +1 trait bonus to Will saves.

Kidnapping: You have abducted someone perhaps to ransom them or do unspeakable things to them. Unfortunately, you were caught and your victim was rescued (if they weren’t rescued -- you would be guilty of murder instead). To be sent to Bleakguard Prison, you must have abducted someone of great importance or in a particularly gruesome manner.
Benefit: You receive a +1 trait bonus to both Disarm and Grapple attempts.

Murder: You have killed without just cause and been condemned for it. To be sent to Bleakguard Prison, this was no typical killing but a particularly savage and unforgiveable act. You may also have killed someone with powerful friends.
Note: You are not allowed to have killed someone in the royal family of Albion. You may have tried (this would instead be High Treason -- see above) but ultimately they are too well protected.
Benefit: You deal 1 additional point of damage when flanking a foe. This additional damage is a trait bonus.

Piracy: You have been caught in the act of piracy on the high seas. This is a rare crime these days since Darius I, called the Victorious burned the last major pirate fleet to threaten these isles. Still the crime is punished harshly. Likely you are the sole survivor of your ship.
Punishment: Death by hanging
Benefit: You may select either Bluff or Intimidate. The selected skill receives a +2 trait bonus and is always a class skill for you.

Sedition: You have attempted to covertly stir up rebellion against your rightful sovereign. This differs from high treason in that you attempted to convince others to make war against Albion instead of taking direct action yourself. A subtle difference to be sure. But it is the difference between receiving the swift justice of the axe instead of the slow suffering upon the rack.
Benefit: You receive a +1 trait bonus to Bluff checks and Bluff is always a class skill for you. Further if you ever take the Leadership feat, you gain a +1 trait bonus to your Leadership score.

Slave-Taking: Slavery is illegal in Albion and a very rare crime. Still, once in a great while, slavers from the mainland will foolishly make an incursion into Albion-protected territories. When they are captured alive they are always made an example of.
Benefit: You receive a +1 trait bonus to both Disarm and Grapple attempts.

Slave Trading: Slavery is legal in other parts of the world and it can be tempting to the most decadent of Albion's nobility to acquire a “souvenir” when traveling abroad or to purchase the object of their desire from a less reputable merchant. However you ended up trading slaves in Albion, you were caught red handed and now you will lose more than simply your freedom.
Benefit: You receive one bonus skill point per level that must be spent on the Appraise skill. The Appraise skill is always a class skill for you.

CrazyIvan

hmm... could I potentially work with you to create my own, or modify one of them to fit my character if you choose me?

PaleEnchantress

What about a crime of illegal use of mind controlling magic, probably on some very important people.

I suppose it could easily fall under high treason or sedition.

Roketto

My only concern with the Grave Robbery trait giving a +1 to confirming critical hits, is that of the sorts to be accused of such that you listed, none of the above would really tend to be melee characters. "Necromancers, golem crafters, self-styled scientists, and alchemists..." are all primarily casters, though I can see a Vivisectionist Alchemist benefiting from it, the others...  Not as much.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Maybe 'you and any familiars/undead created by you'?"

Roketto

Maybe something like, "Your familiarity with the inner workings of formerly living bodies gives you a +1 bonus to attack rolls against living creatures."

ManyMindsManyVoices

"That is far more useful, however, than a trait is meant to be. That could just as well be a feat."

Pointless Digression

The House of Magnus

Albion's current history begins eighty years ago, when the kingdom weathered a bitter war of succession fought between the largely half-elven nobility of House Obeah and the human dynasty of House Magnus. Both had claim to the throne and their supporters amongst the fractured nobility of the isle.

One army was commanded by King Jares of House Obeah, a great half-elven hero mounted on a griffon, the symbol of his house. The other was led by Darius of House Magnus, a young upstart paladin who would not bow before all the gods of the Albinion pantheon (in particular Asmodeus).

The battle between Darius’s knights and the griffon riders of Obeah has been immortalized in several songs and plays. Suffice to say that after a great battle, a dozen dead griffons littered the field and only Darius of Magnus and King Jares of Obeah remained combatant. They fought fiercely and in the end, Darius slew Jares upon the banks of the Dumlyn brook and claimed the throne of Albion.

At the end of the day, the battle had proved to be a slaughter. The military might of House Obeah was broken and House Magnus came to power. It would have been easy then for House Magnus to seek revenge against their former enemies but instead King Darius I called the Victorious showed mercy. He allowed the nobles of House Obeah to keep their lands if they would only swear loyalty to the new king and bow before the great god Sol Invictus. The offer was accepted and peace once more came to Albion. The crisis of succession was over and the religion of the isle was decided. Sol Invictus the Unconquered Sun became head of the Albinion pantheon and official state religion.

When Darius I came to power there was great uncertainty of how capable a king he would prove. While he was a great warrior, he had never ruled and there was reason to doubt this young paladin could control this divided land. He soon put those doubts to rest.

Darius I called the Victorious (usually simply The Victor these days) was the sort of ruler that only comes once every thousand years. More than a soldier, he also proved a great builder and statesman. He raised the capital Viconium from a small city into a great metropolis. He reinforced the watch wall, commissioning three new fortresses. He eased tariffs bringing merchants from the mainland to the oft-isolated isle once more. He personally visited the Lands of the Yutak tribesmen in the north and made peace with their great chiefs. And though the paladin spread the religion of Sol Invictus and discouraged devotion to Asmodeus he tolerated the Prince of Nessus’ temples as long as they were discrete.

For forty six years the Victor sat upon the throne bringing a golden age to Albion. Today, his statues are to be found in almost every town and hamlet throughout the kingdom. He did have his faults though. Like so many great rulers – he was a great soldier and king but a poor father.

After the death of the Victor, his oldest son Martin ascended to the throne as King Darius II called the Learned. More a scholar than a king, Martin proved largely disinterested in affairs of state. He commissioned the great library at Viconium and began renovation of an old family castle into the great palace known as the Lorens. As the first wing of the Lorens was completed, he retreated there and was rarely seen in public. The other son, Prince Hadish, was not so reserved.

Though he had no official power, he often ruled in the king’s absence and commanded great loyalty from the knights of the realm. This might have been an acceptable arrangement. After all, Prince Hadish was a soldier and an heir of the Victor. He could have become the de facto ruler while the official king sat in his distant pleasure palace and library. Alas, that Prince Hadish was also mad.

Prince Hadish became convinced that his mother (who had died in childbirth) was not the queen but an angel of Sol Invictus. He believed himself a demigod and incapable of wrong. At first the Prince’s madness was subtle. He often dressed all in white and even had a magic set of wings made for himself that allowed him to soar over the capital.

But in time the visions began. He communed with these so-called angels and they whispered that he should replace his brother and become the true and immortal master of Albion. The king received disturbing reports of the prince’s madness and plots but refused to believe them. “My brother but jests,” is famously what Darius II replied to the reports.

Finally the “angel” prince would wait no longer. He flew to the Lorens and with a flaming sword slew his own brother amidst his books and proclaimed himself Darius III called the Immortal. His brother’s six year reign was at an end.

For a brief time, it was possible that Darius III’s claim of kingship might have been acknowledged. His brother after all was little loved and tongues wagged that getting rid of the absent king was a blessing. Maybe the new king was a divine messenger of Sol Invictus' will. But within days the mad decrees began from the Lorens. The king decreed that Sol Invictus' high holy day would no longer be the summer solstice but instead would become his own birthday. He ordered the military to prepare to invade Hell and commanded his wizards to research opening a great gate. First, he explained to his flabbergasted advisors, the army would go through the gate to the shining realm of Sol Invictus himself to call forth an army of angels. Then he personally would lead the host to invade the nine hells and overthrow Asmodeus himself. Finally the people had enough of this madness. Officially, the histories record that after only five months in power Darius III called the Mad tried to fly from the highest spire of the Lorens without his magic wings. More likely, he was thrown from the spire by paladins who would tolerate no more of this madman’s blasphemies. Whatever the truth, his reign was over.

Fortunately for Albion, Martin (Darius II) had a son -- Galen. The grandson of the Victor was neither mad nor a recluse. He had been clever enough to avoid the Lorens and the capital during Prince Hadish’s angelic rampage. Galen was a handsome knight twenty nine years of age and closely resembled his grandfather the Victor. Thus was Albion spared another disastrous war of succession. Galen returned to the capital and was crowned Darius IV called the Zealous. The new king quickly realized that he needed to solidify his power and explain away the difficulties of the last six and a half years. In short, he needed an enemy to unify this fractured Albinion nation. He found one – in the Temple of Asmodeus. King Darius IV blamed the cult of Asmodeus for using their black magic to summon a devil to possess the former king thus driving him mad. It was a brilliant political solution (though an utter fiction). It removed blame from the royal house of Magnus and instead placed guilt squarely upon a small, unpopular, marginalized cult. This was the beginning of the Asmodean Purges.

The Knights of the Lion took the lead in destroying the temples. High priests were burned at the stake and the sect was driven underground. For twelve years, the Zealot sat upon the throne and during that time he did his best to annihilate the cult of Asmodeus. He very nearly succeeded.

Darius IV died comparatively young, only 41 years old of a mysterious illness. There were rumors that the Cult of Asmodeus had placed a curse upon the king. These rumors only fueled the purges further.

Darius IV was followed by Darius V, his son. Twenty-two when he took the throne (the same age as the his great-grandfather), he has ruled for sixteen years as a capable, energetic king who has done much to put bad memories in the past. Beloved by his people, he has proven again and again he is the true heir of the Victor. Early in his reign, he personally led the army to relieve the Watch Wall after another bugbear incursion. It was on the watchtower walls that he earned himself the title The Brave.

Darius V has continued the prohibition against the cult of Asmodeus but does not pursue the purges with the same vigor as his father. After all, that battle is largely won. No one has heard of an Asmodean cultist in Albion for years. Instead, he turns his attention to the west and the north hoping to be the king who brings the entire island of Albion under his dynasty’s dominion. He has failed in one duty however. He has failed to yet produce a son. Instead, he has only one child -- a beautiful, brilliant young princess named Corinna.

Twenty years of age, she is already a prodigy of arcane magic. If her father produces no heir it is an open question whether the men of Albion will follow a queen instead of a king. Her story is yet to be written.

Roketto

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on December 11, 2012, 06:29:05 PM
"That is far more useful, however, than a trait is meant to be. That could just as well be a feat."

Mmh, point...  I'm just trying to think of something that would thematically fit what casters of the necromancy focused variety generally do.

Joslyn

Thanks for the info, Pointless Digression.  :-) I'll change Juliette's crime to fraud so I can get Bluff as a class skill--I see her as a skilled liar and the affably evil sort. The setting history really would work to make her struggle even more personal.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed to get into this one. Good luck all.  ;D

ExisD

Sedition definitely sounds like the right crime for my character. Trying to take over towns using monsters because she couldn't do it through politics.

Roketto

Ooh, I know what a good one for Grave Robbery could be. 

Your effective caster level is treated as 1 higher for determining how many HD of undead you can control.

That's 1 extra HD when using the Command Undead feat, or 4 HD when using Animate Dead (a 3rd or 4th level spell based on class).

Hrm...  Not sure how that'd translate over to golem crafters and alchemists, though...