News:

Main Menu

Digital art Programs

Started by Frost, April 01, 2013, 02:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frost

Hi all

I was looking to may be trying out digital art with a graphics tablet, I was just wondering as I have seen a few members doing digital art, which programs can you recommend for a beginner? I have paint shop pro 9 right now and just wondered if there are any good start programs to use?

many thanks for ay replies :)

Maiz

I like photoshop elements as a very basic art program. You can (kind of not exactly legally but through photoshop) get photoshop cs2 for free. I hear that ArtRage is pretty good too. GIMP is another program but the UI is kind of difficult.

Frost

cheers xiaomei , I have been also informed that photoshop CS editions are best so far so just looking around now to see which suits

Maiz

They are good, but also very pricey (unless you can get a student deal). I love Photoshop, but some of my friends love Illustrator.

Thorne

Eh, if you can find a copy (trial version?), you could try CorelDraw PhotoPaint. It's what I use. I'm told it does 'paint' effects much better than Photoshop, which suits me fine, but you might not want that.

I've heard good things about the GIMP, however, and I think someone on E uses it for image manips, with /stunning/ results.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

consortium11

Paint.net is a pretty powerful free tool; has most of the features Photoshop has although is in my experience a little less user friendly for more complex tasks (although still pretty easy to use).

If you're more into 3d modelling style art then Blender is an incredibly powerful free tool. Some of the stuff people have done using it is amazing.