Re$cue your$elf or pay me to do it.

Started by Beguile's Mistress, June 15, 2010, 01:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beguile's Mistress

Abby Sunderland, the 16-year-old girl who attempted to sail around the world alone ran into difficulties and had to be rescued at sea.  One of the many things people are talking about is who will pay for the rescue operation which is estimate to have cost $300,000.00.  Some say her parents should get the bill for this.

Shouldn't anyone who is ever rescued have to pay for that rescue?

The story.  This is only one article.  There are many others out there.

Chevalier des Poissons

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on June 15, 2010, 01:15:20 PM
Abby Sunderland, the 16-year-old girl who attempted to sail around the world alone ran into difficulties and had to be rescued at sea.  One of the many things people are talking about is who will pay for the rescue operation which is estimate to have cost $300,000.00.  Some say her parents should get the bill for this.

Shouldn't anyone who is ever rescued have to pay for that rescue?

The story.  This is only one article.  There are many others out there.

That's the problem: She had to be rescue at the middle of the sea. She is currently in a neutral territory, and she left by herself. She wasn't sponsored by any government nor is involved with any other, not to mention the fact that she is in a place where no government has any responsabilities. Therefore, by that point of view, her rescue operation will have to either be sponsored by her parents, either be an act of kindness from someone.

Sad, but this is how things are.
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

Argent

I think there is an element of self-inflicted damage to this particular situation.

I don't mean that she did anything wrong or hinky, just that (to my limited knowledge), sailing around the world on your own is considered something of an achievement because it is hard, risky and requires extraordinary effort. Perhaps more so when you have a person under 18 doing it.

While I admire her drive, determination and effort, I can't help but think that she put herself in a situation where others would be facing loss of their own profits and/or limited rescue resources to rescue her if anything went wrong.

She gambled and lost, though thankfully it was a limited loss.

Chevalier des Poissons

Quote from: Argent on June 17, 2010, 09:48:59 PM
I think there is an element of self-inflicted damage to this particular situation.

I don't mean that she did anything wrong or hinky, just that (to my limited knowledge), sailing around the world on your own is considered something of an achievement because it is hard, risky and requires extraordinary effort. Perhaps more so when you have a person under 18 doing it.

While I admire her drive, determination and effort, I can't help but think that she put herself in a situation where others would be facing loss of their own profits and/or limited rescue resources to rescue her if anything went wrong.

She gambled and lost, though thankfully it was a limited loss.

But thinking on the self-inflicted side, some adventurers and explorers do the same, and still get rescued. In her case would be that and the fact she is under 18.
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

Argent

Quote from: Chevalier des Poissons on June 17, 2010, 09:54:03 PM
But thinking on the self-inflicted side, some adventurers and explorers do the same, and still get rescued. In her case would be that and the fact she is under 18.

Absolutely! I think rescuing people is appropriate and right in these situations. But if the family has the means to offset some of the expense.... well, I'm okay with that too. Same thing with the guys who decide that being daring is better than being prepared and end up passing out halfway up a mountain or something.