Guild Wars 2 sandbox, now recruiting (LGBT friendly)

Started by Dhi, September 16, 2014, 04:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhi

What is this game?

This is a freeform Guild Wars game within the existing world of Tyria, centering on the rebuilding city of Lion’s Arch. No knowledge of Guild Wars is needed to play.  It is mostly a high fantasy setting with a little black powder and technology thrown in. Crash and myself will be your GMs so please ask us any questions you may have. Our intent is to make this game more about life in Tyria. You do not have to play a human ranger or asura necromancer. You can be an outcast skritt (rat person) or a massive kodan (polar bear person). Many characters you find will be everyday people living in this fantastic world. We encourage you to have develop why your character is in Lion’s Arch. Are they there to help rebuild the city? If so what skills do they bring to the table? Are they on the run and hiding in a city were the law can be bought? This is not an RP about endless questing or raiding. We can do that on the Guild Wars servers, this is a game about character development in a world many of us enjoy but want a little more roleplaying. That is not to say there will be no adventure or excitement, this game is a sandbox and very much what you the players make of it. If you want to gather some other players and rescue a Captain’s daughter from the centaurs of the Blood Hill Camps please do, we encourage players to come up with plots of their own within Lion’s Arch and its surrounding areas.

The Setting of Guild Wars 2
Guild Wars takes place on the world of Tyria, a steam-age fantasy setting which is simultaneously addicted to magic and under threat from the godlike Elder Dragons who serve as the planet's antibodies against magic. Six of these Elder Dragons now walk Tyria, and where they arise whole nations are consumed.

Humans in Guild Wars are in decline, having lost the nation of Ascalon to war and Orr, the city of its gods, to the dragon Zhaitan. The land of Kryta is waging its own losing battle with the native centaurs, and her allies in distant Elona and Cantha have been silent- these lands may already be lost.
Charr are humanity's former enemies, a hardened, leonine, highly structured warrior race who now occupy lost Ascalon. For life a charr is hard, as from the day they leave their mother's nipple each cub enters into rigorous military training. Although a treaty for peace is being negotiated, for many it is an unwanted alliance, and tensions remain high on either side.
Asura are a diminutive goblin-like race from deep in the earth, driven to the surface by the awakening of the dragon Primordius. Obsession with genius and intellectual achievement have elevated asura technology to the highest in all of Tyria. Under the name of the Great Alchemy, their understanding of chemistry and physics mirrors our own, although magic- an indisputable fact of the world- remains intertwined with their science.
Sylvari are new to the world, plant beings born from magical trees. Without a history or culture of their own, they have learned from Tyria's other races, and especially from the philosophical writings of the centaur sage Ventari. The alien, almost fey mind of sylvari are distrusted by many, and dark rumor is that the sylvari may be the harbingers of a still slumbering dragon, temporarily diverted from their sinister purpose by Ventari's teachings and the efforts of their Firstborn leaders.
Norn are solitary giantkin from the frozen north who revere animal spirits. A culture with heavy emphasis on hunts and heroism have led many to their doom attempting to fight Jormag, the Elder Ice Dragon. Some cultists have even begun to revere the dragon as a new spirit of the wild, but those who heed their allies to the south understand that the dragons hunger only for destruction.

This is to say nothing of the serpentine krait, the deep sea largos, the avian tengu, the thieving skritt, the barbaric ogre and centaur, the adorable quaggan, and more ghosts, dread beasts, and magic than any adventurer could hope to face alone.

The City of Lion's Arch is...
Cosmopolitan. Generations of refugees, entrepreneurs, and trailblazers have made the autonomous free city their new home, and brought a little slice of distant places with them. As a trade nexus of the Lion Road and major port of the Sea of Sorrows, Lion's Arch sees a constant traffic of strange visitors.

Neutral Ground. Outside the jurisdiction of crown and legion, old foes parley and strange bedfellows come together to survive the threat of the Elder Dragons. As shining beacons to the spirit of unity goes, Lion's Arch is not untarnished, but it may yet outlast us all.

Rough. The peace of the pirate trading post is kept by the mercenary Lionguard, who answer only to the coin of the Captain's Council- a committee of self-styled respectable merchants hailing from a long line of dread corsairs. Step through one of the alchemical asura gates to a distant city, though, and you're on your own!

Unbroken. A hundred years ago, the tsunami caused by the raising of Orr could not extinguish the frontier spirit of Lion's Arch. Over the drowned ruins, a new haven was built out of broken ships on the islets of dry ground. More recently, when Lion's Arch was devastated by the airships of sylvari terrorist Scarlet Briar, the resolve of Lion's Arch was tested again. In time, it will rebuild.

Beyond Lion's Arch

Gendarran Fields
As part of its long path from the coast to the Shiverpeaks, the Lion Road cuts through pastoral landscape to the north of Lion's Arch. Queen Jennah, sovereign of the human kingdom of Kryta, holds claim over this fertile land and protects it against the incursion of centaurs who contest it as their ancient burial grounds. The meltwater of the Shiverpeaks trickles down through a great logging dam which has cleared great swathes of the forest to make way for farmland; at the foot of the dam, large and plentiful Gendarr Lake provides irrigation to the whole region.

Bloodtide Coast
In the shadow of Lion's Arch, south along the coast, is a lawless stretch whose sagging swamps and rocky island caves hide the infamous pirates of the Sea of Sorrows. When they aren't feuding with one another, the corsairs have their hands full with undead washed up from risen Orr. Although the Lion Road makes a foothold of civilization among these rogues and the cave-dwelling hylek tribes, its jungles are full of danger and forbidding mystery, luring many a foolhardy adventurer to their demise.

Character Sheet:

[float=right][img height=400 padding=8]<insert image.  We are looking for fantasy artwork more than anime or real life images>[/img][/float][b]Name:[/b]
[b]Player:[/b]
[b]Concept:[/b] <What does your character do?  This isn’t a MMORPG class or profession.  We don’t really care about that.  How does your character make a living?  How do they contribute to Lion’s Arch?  Concepts could be things like Aspiring Privateer Captain, Loyal Member of the Lionguard, Blackmarketeer with a Grudge>
[b]Trouble:[/b]<This is something about your character than constantly comes back to haunt them.  It could be as simple as Always Puts Her Foot in Her Mouth or Family Drama to as complex as Wanted by the Captain’s Council for Treason.>
[b]Race:[/b]
[b]Sex:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Orientation:[/b]
[b]On’s:[/b]
[b]Off’s:[/b]

[b]Description:[/b]
Eyes
Hair
Height
Weight
<Add Text, Images or Both>

[b]Personality:[/b]
Give four traits that define your character such as: Noble, Captivating, Barbaric, Diplomatic, Militant, Scoundrel, Unpredictable, Charming, Honorable, Brute…etc.

What else should we know about your character’s personality?

[b]Alliances:[/b] Lionguard, Ministry Guard, Order of Whispers, Vigil, Durmand Priory, Separatists, Out only for themselves…etc.

Alliances are optional

[b]Likes and Dislikes:[/b]<Non-sexual>

[b]One Unique Thing:[/b]<Give us one unique thing about your character>

[b]Background:[/b]<Give us at least three paragraphs of background.  You don't have to know much about the game world.  It is basically a fantasy world.  Lion's Arch is a city that is being rebuilt after it was destroyed by Scarlet Briar's airship drill.  Pieces of that airship still remain in the harbor and in the city. Nearby areas open for play are the Bloodtide Coast to the south with fishing villages, swamps, forest, pirate islands...etc.  Gendarran Fields lies to the north with its own bandit, undead and centaur issues.  It is filled with farms and manor houses and Lake Grendarr with its own island.>

Helpful Links
The major races
Humans
Charr
Asura
Sylvari
Norn

Supernatural elements
Magic
The Mists
The Elder Dragons

Religion
The Six Human Gods
Norn Spirits of the Wild

Ghostwheel

For what it's worth, I logged over 6k hours on GW1, and played a decent amount of GW2. While I'm probably not going to apply (I prefer system games, and I get the feeling this one's going to be freeform--though if I'm wrong correct me and I'll prolly jump in if it's the right system), I applaud this topic.

Dhi

The potential GM is big on the FATE system right now, but I personally would be against using a system.

Ghostwheel

That's cool. I'm personally into Pathfinder these days, though I've been meaning to take a look at 5e for a bit. Those kinds of gamist systems (as opposed to a narrativist system like FATE) would probably fit the world decently (go out and kill the undead hordes, stop the Flame Legion or the Inquest, and so on), but if that doesn't float your boat I can understand.

Interdiction of words

Interest is good and nice so I will look into this
Posts are currently: Medium
Darn work and school is getting in the way. I will get posts out as fast as I can but it is going to be hard on me as for you.

Oh my, I haven't posted on our thread? PM me or check out my A&A

johnnyboyboy

Play both games and love them, throwing my interest into the pot.
Just some quotes.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.”

"As time goes on, and our paths continue to unfold  though I do not know what will happen, whether we  continue together through life, all that I ask of you is that you remember me."
On/offs https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=205898.0

Shjade

I'll note my interest. Though, if that's actually a negative for you rather than a positive, no worries, I can keep my distance.

For what it's worth, I'd lean freeform as well simply because of the inherent trickiness of converting one game's mechanics to a completely different game's mechanics...but then, I usually favor freeform anyway, so I'm probably biased. ;p

Query: interest notwithstanding, what kind of scale were you hoping for in this theme? Like, huge world where players just kinda wander around and make RP between themselves wherever they happen to be, or smaller group with a more defined story to follow, or...?

*goes to look up this FATE business ... wait, no, it's almost 2 am; makes a note to look up this FATE business at a more sane hour z.z*
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Crash

Interested when I can post again, but I think you already know this. ;)

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

la dame en noir

I haven't dabbled in GW in a few months, but I know enough about to want ot play this! I'm definitely thinking of making myself a Norn for this if I do join! :)
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Cold Heritage

I am not sure if I am the right kind of interest, and my knowledge of the lore is modest at best, but I am interested.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Dhi

The right kind of interest would be players who can bring their own plots into a sandbox game. If someone would be lost for what to do, or park their character until something interesting happens, that would be the wrong kind of interest, because it would result in the game perishing very quickly.

These are unfortunately behaviors I see sometimes in Elliquiy group games, even the sandbox ones, so I have to weigh interest with a grain of, well, is this person prepared to do more than just make a character and respond to prompts?

Crash

I think a modest knowledge would be fine.  Really not much cannon knowledge would be needed as at its heart it is a fantasy game.  A willingness to jump in and be proactive about your character is a must for these kind of games.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Cold Heritage

Quote from: Dhi on September 22, 2014, 06:10:10 PM
The right kind of interest would be players who can bring their own plots into a sandbox game. If someone would be lost for what to do, or park their character until something interesting happens, that would be the wrong kind of interest, because it would result in the game perishing very quickly.

These are unfortunately behaviors I see sometimes in Elliquiy group games, even the sandbox ones, so I have to weigh interest with a grain of, well, is this person prepared to do more than just make a character and respond to prompts?

I understand. Since those are things that I have done in the past in sandbox games and things I can easily see myself doing in the future, I apologize for wasting your time. Please disregard my posts.

Dhi

I'm surprised. Didn't we play together in... Shadowrun: Seattle 2070, or something? Shadowrun was another sandbox game, same type of thing.

undisclosedtoyou

Yes!  I knew I'd find this if I looked for it!  So yeah, this is me putting in my interest, you can consider my interest piqued! 
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Crash

I will delve more into this again in about 4 months when my school load lightens up.  Dhi and I need to have a talk about how we want to see this run and I am still worried about having enough players for a sandbox.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

AngelicBlade

Color me a interested. Unfortunately for me I could never find an RP guild in Guild Wars so I never really got to RP in it. So I hope this'll curb some of that craving.

Mingnon

Depending on what kind of angle this RP takes, I might join in too. And yeah, like Angelic I find it pretty hard to find an RP guild (that I'd be willing to join >__>; )
“There are only two races of men: decent and indecent. Both are found everywhere.”
-Victor Frankl
Discord RPs - Ons + Offs  - AnAs Thread
Oath of the Drake
Look for hot monsters in your area!

Dhi

What kind of angle would interest you, Mingnon?

Mingnon

Something more smaller-scale than epic fights; basically a focus on adventures and story arcs, whether they'd relate to a character or Tyrian lore. Though I assume that could be the case already.
“There are only two races of men: decent and indecent. Both are found everywhere.”
-Victor Frankl
Discord RPs - Ons + Offs  - AnAs Thread
Oath of the Drake
Look for hot monsters in your area!

Crash

Sandbox works best with smaller scale stories and the players really dictate how big or tied into the world they want to be, so I don't think that would be an issue.  I tend to go with smaller more personal stories myself in a sandbox setting.

Dhi

That's what appeals to me as well. You can already fight all the things you like in the game itself, right? A group game opens the door for interpersonal stories.

Crash

That said if someone wants to run off and fight some Grawl they are more than welcome to do so.  It will be up to the individual player really.  Dhi and I don't plan on running a combat oriented game simulation.  I know I want the story and the character development here that we lack in game.

Crash

I may have to make a Mesmer when I get back to E...

Dhi

Crash

Heh.  Nice.  I figured that you might.  I have been doing a major search for character art for this game.  Lots of good stuff out there that has a Guild Wars feel.

Lionguard?

Elementalist or Mesmer

This was just cool

Norn Warrior

Cherri Tart

Add me to the interested list. :)
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Crash

Glad this is still generating interest.  I look forward to getting back to E and hopefully gaining enough players to make this work.

Still trying to figure out what I want to play.

Cold Heritage

Quote from: Dhi on September 22, 2014, 07:43:30 PM
I'm surprised. Didn't we play together in... Shadowrun: Seattle 2070, or something? Shadowrun was another sandbox game, same type of thing.

Ha ha ha I missed this I'm trash.  :'(

But, uh, no. We didn't. There were plans, as I vaguely recall, but they never came to fruition and my character never did anything more than sit in a bar eating noodles and interacting with the GM's characters who worked in that bar.

undisclosedtoyou

If this becomes a thing, I'm gonna play an Ele, ftw!
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

ShadowFox89

I'll probably play either my sylvari mesmer or human thief.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Crash

Yeah I was thinking Norn Warrior (male) and human thief (female), but not set in stone yet.

Dhi

You guys all want to play existing adventurer professions?

Crash

Not exactly, I am just using it as a reference.  Neither character would look much like the actual class.  I like the idea of the every person in these settings.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Dhi on November 24, 2014, 08:56:52 AM
You guys all want to play existing adventurer professions?

I'd say that's the easiest solution.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Dhi

I see the profession system as an artifact of game balance. When roleplaying on Tarnished Coast, choosing a profession is necessary to create a character, but very few people actually integrate that profession choice into the story of the character. It's much more relevant for the type of outfits you'd like your character to wear, so naturally there are a ton of clothies.

Here we're not shoehorned by game balance or the need for all characters to be adventurers, so I find it surprising to want to continue using those eight choices. There's nothing wrong with it at all, but it surprises me.

Crash

I would guess it is more a point of reference.  I am thinking of having one character be retired from adventuring and the other more of a street urchin type.  Neither will be running around like a character would in game.  Of course I will be running NPC's mostly which is fine.  I like the idea of playing a tavern wench or shopkeeper too.

FlamingAce242

I would be quite interested in a GW2 game. I recently got back into it and I am quite enjoying it again. I'd probably play a norn something.

AngelicBlade

I think I wanna be A Vigil Crusader. Or an ex-crusader or something. If I was gonna be one of the eight I'd be a Guardian.

Winds Of Lust

I am always down for some guild ways fun.

Charlemagne

I am interested.

And I agree with you on the OP, where you said something along the lines of ingame MMO RP being ridiculous. It always turns out to be a e-peen measuring contest with nothing but smut in the end.

That said, the fact that I stumbled upon a forum based RP in the GW world made me nearly flip my table.

Quote from: Dhi on November 24, 2014, 01:23:42 PM
I see the profession system as an artifact of game balance. When roleplaying on Tarnished Coast, choosing a profession is necessary to create a character, but very few people actually integrate that profession choice into the story of the character. It's much more relevant for the type of outfits you'd like your character to wear, so naturally there are a ton of clothies.

Here we're not shoehorned by game balance or the need for all characters to be adventurers, so I find it surprising to want to continue using those eight choices. There's nothing wrong with it at all, but it surprises me.

I don't mind professions, especially since I read Edge of Destiny, where Logan's guardian abilities were very well detailed. Obviously, if we use classes, I'll be playing a human guardian.

Hi, by the way.

Ontan

Quote from: Dhi on November 24, 2014, 01:23:42 PM

I’m also not a fan of sticking to professions. As noted, the biggest problem is that it forces players to make combat-oriented characters. That makes sense for an MMO, but it could be restrictive for RP if people want to play, say, a temple healer, a diplomat, an artificer, and so forth. These are all occupations in the sense of GW's lore, but it’d be awkward trying to create them using game professions.

Secondly, if you base everything on game professions, it excludes people who don’t have detailed knowledge of in-game mechanics. GW2 enthusiasts are probably the target audience anyway, but people who don’t own the game might still want to join for the setting, lore, or to interact with my suave, sexy character*.

Thirdly, and most importantly, it’s absolute bollocks that all the iconic GW1 ranger skills (dual shot, pinning shot, and various incendiary arrows) were given to warriors in GW2.
… Okay, maybe that’s not the most important point, but when I make my ranger, he's going to be dual-shotting explosive arrows, like GW rangers were meant to do.

*No guarantees on this one.

Crash

We will not be requiring anyone to pick a class or stick to exact game abilities.  We arn't going to tell players they can't do that either.  Dhi and I are not stressing to combat/dungeon aspects of the game.  This is a sandbox game so if players want to go out adventuring, great! If they want to explore living life in the game world and never venture forth to do battle, great too!

This is player driven so there is room for both and anything in between.  One thing we will insist on is that this game is not a place to argue GW2 in game mechanics. We all understand that players have their favorite Race/Class and have their own issues with gameplay.  Let's keep most of that to the Arenanet GW2 forum boards.  In other words no flame wars in OOC or IC. ;)

la dame en noir

Is this still happening? cause I'm still interested in making a Norn and a Human female.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Crash

Yes, the hold up is my schooling.  I have one more brutal semester and then Dhi and I will get this started if we still have the interest.

AngelicBlade

Well I'm definitely still interested. Really wanna make my Half Norn. Also I can't remember if this was answered already but when does this take place? Before 2 or During? Or after?

Dhi

We're thinking during GW2, in the year 1327-1328 AE, which is what players see if they log in right now. It's after the attack on Lion's Arch, and the city is in the process of rebuilding.

Here's a timeline to put 1327 AE in some context: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Timeline

Crash

Yeah, mostly because most of what I know of the world is from GW2 and that is the timeline I am familiar with. ;)

ShadowFox89

Very tempting to play my asuran engineer.... who likes doing elixir experiments.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Dhi

Crash

Nice.  I found some decent Asura not long ago.

Crash

Some Asura love!

Asura

And a Sylvari....

Crash

We should have an update and hopefully a recruitment soon.

Dhi

ShadowFox89

Yay! What sort of smexiness should we expect? Should I bring my fairly naive Sylvari gal or my asuran who likes making *ahem* 'toys'?

Edit: to clarify, the asuran will be more fun if she has volunteers to be strapped down to a table to be poked and probed while she hooks the other end of the probe to herself.....

'Its for science! I swear!'
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Crash

Dhi and I tend to go plot first and porn second.  That is not to say sexiness won't happen. It is a sandbox game so it is what you make of it, but the game does not revolved around smut for the GM's.

Dhi

I have been known to get down tho.

Crash

Shadow - I think both characters would work.  I have yet to be in a game here that didn't have its share of sex.

ShadowFox89

Well, the asuran would have other useful inventions..... Its just that most of them would be dual purpose.

Though, maybe I could play both?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Crash

Dhi and I have not discussed number of characters yet, but I am not opposed to it if the player can keep up with them all and not burn out.

Crash

We have updated our opening post as well as added a character sheet.

Crash

Name: Ragnar Stormcrow
Player: Crash
Concept: Good-natured Handyman
Trouble: They keep pulling me back in!
Race:Norn
Sex: Male
Orientation: Hetero
On’s: Same as mine
Off’s: Same as mine

Description:
Eyes: Icy Blue
Hair: Blond
Height: 8’3”
Weight: 350 lbs
Ragnar

Personality:
Smarter than he looks, Helpful, Practical, Hard-Working

Ragnar works hard and relaxes hard.  He is often found throughout Lion’s Arch helping with some sort of repair project or another.  Some residents have even been woken up in the early morning with the hulking Norn making repairs to their ramshackle abodes without being asked.  Everyday working with his hands is a vacation to the man.  Ragnar has an easy smile and a way of making his broad, muscular frame not so intimidating to woman and children.  Most people think of him as just another laborer come to Lion’s Arch for work, but those close to him recognize the quick wit and practical intelligence the man possesses.  After a hard day’s work Ragnar is often found at the Drunken Kodan, a tavern just off of the old Traders Forum near the shadow of the Crow’s Nest.  It is popular with the laborers of Lion’s Arch and known for its stout ale.

Alliances:Known only to a very few, but Ragnar is a former member of the Order of Whispers who is in semi-retirement for the role he played in the fight against the dragon Zhaitan.  He still gets called on from time to time by the Order, but does his best to stay retired.

Strong ale, raunchy jokes, cold nights in front of the hearth with a warm woman, snow, biting cold on his face, helping others, manual labor.

Dislikes:
Humidity, poor craftsmanship, watered down ale, Elder Dragons, lazy people

One Unique Thing: Ragnar owns the Jotun greatsword that hangs over the bar in the Drunken Kodan of which he is also part owner.

Background:
Ragnar grew up in the Wayfarer Foothills neat Hoelbrak.  He traveled throughout the Shiverpeak Mountains in his youth and lived the life of adventure.  It was during this time that he was contacted by factions fighting the Elder Dragon Zhaitan.  Much to the surprise of those involved in the fight he chose to become a member of the Order of Whispers and fight the Elder Dragon as much with his mind as with his sword.  What he accomplished during the battles with Zhaitan’s forces will never be known and he isn’t one to talk about it other than his few surviving friends from that time.  He has apparently earned an early retirement from active participation within the Order and taken up a part time residence in Lion’s Arch to help how he sees fit with rebuilding the city.

For the past year Ragnar has been little more than a handyman.  He does work and accepts whatever play the people he works for can provide.  The only stipulation is that he works at his own pace prioritizing work based on need more than pay.  He does not sacrifice quality of work for speed either, so the work takes as long as it takes to get it right.  While retired from the Order of Whispers Ragnar continues to keep his eyes and ears open for anything that the Order might have an interest in and has been known to be pulled out of retirement when there is sufficient need, though his superiors know not to abuse this option too much.

When Ragnar stays in Lion’s Arch, which is for about half of the year or more, he stays in a room above the Drunken Kodan and spends his off hours trading stories with the locals who include. When not in Lion’s Arch Ragnar travels home to the Shiverpeak Mountains where he has his own stead.  He makes liberal use of the Asura gates in Lion’s Arch to do so.

Dhi

Crash

I will have more Dhi oriented characters later. ;)

ShadowFox89

I'll post my asuran and sylvari as soon as I can.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

AngelicBlade

Hey I gots a question, I know that they said the playable races can't interbreed but they imply that Norns and Humans can. So are Half Norns a thing?

Crash

I would call it more a Human with Norn blood or a Norn with Human blood depending on which parent they seem to favor.  I plan on having an NPC that is human but rumored to have Norn blood in her family as she has platinum hair and is taller than the average Krytan.

I see no reason why Humans and Norns couldn't have children, but I want to get Dhi's opinion on this too as we are Co-GM's and she has a better grasp of GW lore than I do. ;)

Crash

These are Charr for those not familiar with Guild Wars...

Female Charr

Male Charr

Dhi

The devs have said that the different species can't interbreed, but at the same time the elder dragons are capable of rewriting a creature's genetic code into organic crystal just by casting a shadow over them. The traditional rules of genetics don't apply when magic is involved. I think half-norn are reasonable.

Crash

I would be comfortable with Norn/Human mixes, but not really with any of the other races.  They would be so genetically different that I would think procreation without the use of magic would be impossible.

Of course if you can give us a good reason Dhi and I would consider it.

ShadowFox89

Sylvari would take "planting seeds" to a whole new level.....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Crash

Name: Autumn “Auti” Velis
Player: Crash
Concept: Mystical, Magical Barmaid
Trouble: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Race:Human
Sex: Female
Orientation: Lesbian
On’s: Autumn likes confidence women who have a vision and are driven.  She has to be in command when at work since the Kodan seems to always be understaffed, so she enjoys it when another woman takes charge.  Autumn would be open to some light D/s and S&M but would find someone only into such things quickly boring.  She can be a bit of a romantic at times and melts over small gestures of kindness and sentimental gifts.   Autumn has no hang ups when it comes to races other than humans. She gets a special thrill when sex has some risk, like the possibility of being caught or that someone might be watching.  Sex outdoors! She has yet to experience anal, but would enjoy it too.
Off’s: Boring people, poor hygiene, cruelty, sex involving foodstuffs, no strange bodily functions.

Description:
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black
Height: 5’4”
Weight: 110 lbs
Autumn is slender from hard work not only at the bar, but growing up poor and having to help her family from a young age.  She has always been and outdoors kind of girl and loves to go on walks whenever she can find the time.  She has long limbs and may have been called gangly at one point in time.  Her bust line has since filled out as she has grown older and her face has rounded into adulthood giving her figure more shape.  Since her apprenticeship started with Professor Simonet, Autumn often dresses in the garb of an apprentice Mesmer, much to the chagrin of Kodan owners Ragnar and Grena who she finds overly protective.  The revealing attire suits Autumn just fine however.

Personality:
Flirtatious, bubbly, smart, imaginative

Auti is an extrovert to the core.  As much as she has enjoyed and appreciated her job at The Drunken Kodan, she enjoys using her magical abilities to entertain its patrons even more.  Her illusionary tales have become quite popular in the city and the normally quite Drunken Kodan quickly fills to standing room only on nights she entertains.  Auti was always interested in old tails and now that she has learned how to read she has devoured all of Professor Simonet’s history books.  She has done such a good job of it that the Professor has let her teach history lessons to some of the younger children at her school when she needs to see to other lessons.  As you can see Auti is one busy young woman and she would have it no other way.  The only way to turn off her normally bubbly and effervescent demeanor is to ask her about her past.  She covers it well and has learned the art of deflecting conversations away from the subject but the haunted look in her eye is ever present when the subject of why she came to Lion’s Arch is brought up.

Alliances: The Drunken Kodan and Professor Simonet

Likes: Imagination, Day Dreams, The color purple, Spicy Charr Fire Chili, Red Wine, Old Stories.

Dislikes:Asura Cuisine, Wearing the color orange, Necromancy, Boredom, Unimaginative pick-up lines

One Unique Thing: Autumn will never be lost in a swamp

Background:
Autumn’s grew up poor in a stilt house in Lawen Ponds outside of First Haven.  Her family was under the employ of the Ducane family.  Minor nobles from Divinity’s Reach.  Autumn often played with the Ducane’s daughter Marguerite while growing up.  The Ducane patriarch wasn’t thrilled that his daughter was playing with the help, but Marguerite was a stubborn and willful child and had her mother’s ear so she was allowed this indiscretion much to her husband’s exasperation.

As the girls grew older their bond grew stronger.  Autumn took to working for the Ducane’s so she and Marguerite could remain close and eventually their feelings blossomed into youthful love.  They kept their tentative forays of love very discrete with no one the wiser.

When Marguerite insisted on visiting Autumn and her family her father was furious, but again the girl got her way.  Autumn was so nervous.  Her home was a hovel compared to Marguerite’s but her young, naive lover insisted.  Much to Autumn’s surprise she did not once wrinkle her nose at the smell of the swamp or shrink from chores despite her status as a guest.

Autumn had a surprise for her lover.  She decorated her favorite platform in the ponds above a nest of firebugs that hunted other insects at night and lite up the swamp and that night the finally slept together under the canopy of Lawren pond.  It was also the night the undead made their presence known in the ponds.  That night Marguerite was taken from Autumn screaming into the swamp.  Autumn tried to save her from the hideous creatures, but would have been overwhelmed if not saved by a guard sent to protect Marguerite and her father.

Marguerite’s father was beside himself with anger and grief and blamed Autumn for the death of his daughter.  Word of her arrest reached the farm minutes before the Lionguard sent to arrest her.  Autumn escaped into the swamp and eventually made her way sound to Lion’s Arch.  She would not have survived if not for Grena taking her in, giving her a place to stay and a job for which she is forever thankful.

What no one knows is that Marguerite did not die that night.  There were greater games afoot and Autumn’s life was simply collateral damage.  Autumn has never forgotten Marguerite and is still saddened by her lose and ashamed that she could do nothing to help her, but the creature that was Marguerite has never forgotten Autumn and in her twisted mind she blames Autumn for leaving her.  Autumn’s disappearance likely saved her life, but word has made it back to Marguerite about a simple tavern girl in Lion’s Arch that could make her former beloved and she aches to make her suffer.

Recently Autumn met Professor Simonet, who agreed to take on the girl and teach her more about her gift for magic which had never developed beyond simple tricks in her youth.  Autumn now splits her time between working at the Drunken Kodan and her apprenticeship with Professor Simonet.

ShadowFox89

You guys are going to hate me for the puns in my Asuran's name and her golem....

Bigga Boomma and her golem, Boom Box.

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Crash

I have a few other NPC's in mind but I want to see what others characters come in so I can have npc's that work with the players.

I have been thinking of a Largos, the Professor Simonet, the foreman Grena and a few others.

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 27, 2014, 06:51:47 PM
You guys are going to hate me for the puns in my Asuran's name and her golem....

Bigga Boomma and her golem, Boom Box.

Really?  I was kind of hoping we would stay away from MMORPG style names that aren't names. 

ShadowFox89

It fits the Asuran naming convention and, really, it's Asuran. They tend to go a little fun with the names.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Crash

ShadowFox89

Name: Bigga Boomma
Player: ShadowFox89
Concept: I am an explosives and ordinance expert and one of the top in my class
Trouble: I, uh, may have blown up a few Inquisition compounds.
Race: Asuran
Orientation: I find fun in both genders equally and have done experiments on both. With both.
On’s: Mmmm, I love strapping people down to a table and using some of my more fun inventions to tease them before cackling at their screams of enjoyment! Or...  you know, having the same done.
Off’s: Things that are too big to be put into a hole don't belong in that hole, and bodily waste should go to the biohazard containers, not the bedroom.

Description:
Eyes- My eyes are red like the core of an explosion
Hair- Dark red like.... you can see where this is going.
Height- I'm a nice tall 3ft... okay okay that's short.
Weight- 65lbs

Personality:
I'm honest, excitable, and love making friends! I can also be a little quick to act and tend to think less of the morality of a situation than how it can be explored further. But I put my krewe first and if it comes between them or the discovery of a lifetime, I'll save my krewe.

Alliances: I hold a very respectable position in the Krewe of Research into Thermocombustion as well as a position in the Vigil as an expert in explosives.

Likes and Dislikes:<Non-sexual>

One Unique Thing: If you need it blown up, I can find a way to do it. Or even if you don't need something blown up, I can still find a way.

Background:

I'll finish after dinner...... Gotta work on a background a bit. I wrote it in first person for something a bit different, but if you prefer I can rewrite it in third.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Crash

ShadowFox - I am sorry I did not explain the one unique thing.  It should be a quirky and cool thing about your character that is more flavor and plot. 

Being able to or knowing how to blow up anything is a little more than what this GM wants in any players hands as a quirk. ;)

More so it is likely that a lot of Asura engineers know how to blow most things up, whether they are trying to or not. ;D

AngelicBlade

Hey Crash, your Norn seems really really short, I think the average height for humans in Guild Wars is like 6'1 or something.

Crash

Yeah my mistake.  He should be taller.  I will edit.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: AngelicBlade on December 27, 2014, 08:24:20 PM
Hey Crash, your Norn seems really really short, I think the average height for humans in Guild Wars is like 6'1 or something.

I guess that means I could be mistaken for a Norn :P

Actually, I think it's more like 7'1, with the max being 8'3.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Crash

It has varied between games. I am not going to be a stickler.  Somewhere between 7' and 9' are good for a Norn for me.

ShadowFox89

Well, to help: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/44575-full-size-comparisons-of-races-and-genders/

And for Bigga's ability... I didn't mean it as she can literally look at something and make it explode (not that she wouldn't love to have that power, damn elementalists.....), but that she carries a large number of explosives on her person and admixtures for explosives. I can change it to something else though.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Crash

Change it to something else please. 

Thanks for the chart but like I said I am not going to get too caught up in every little detail.  If Dhi or I say it is okay that is more important that what wiki "A" or website "B" says.  For sake of fun and for those not familiar with guild wars there will likely be lots of stuff that conflicts on some level with "Lore."

AngelicBlade

Well I was just wondering if Ragnar was suppose to be that short. Cause Norn can be that short it's possible.

Dhi

That chart is very cool!

Some examples of Unique Things, to use Anet's NPCs as an example, might be "My father was the last Dolyak shaman" or "I stole an object the ghosts of Ascalon want back" or "I survived the creation of the Dragonbrand" or "I know a secret about the origin of the sylvari"

(though some of those might also work as Troubles)

It should optimally be something creative that lends flavor and mystery to your character.

Crash

Nope he was not.  That was just a mistake on my part.  It was supposed to be 8'3" not 6'3".

Quote from: Dhi on December 27, 2014, 09:31:34 PM
That chart is very cool!

Some examples of Unique Things, to use Anet's NPCs as an example, might be "My father was the last Dolyak shaman" or "I stole an object the ghosts of Ascalon want back" or "I survived the creation of the Dragonbrand" or "I know a secret about the origin of the sylvari"

(though some of those might also work as Troubles)

It should optimally be something creative that lends flavor and mystery to your character.
+1

Dhi

Here is another sample character to be used as an NPC.

Name: Sesorcha
Player: Dhi
Concept: Harbor Cleanup Matron
Trouble: Double agent caught between loyalties
Race: Krait
Orientation: Lesbian
On’s: A workhorse's quiet strength, subjugating lesser races, warm baths and hot tea, squeeeeezing
Off’s: Embarrassment, real pain, risk to her station

Description:
Eyes: Burnished gold with slit pupils
Hair: Scaled black malachite tendrils
Height: 5'7" (16'4" long)
Weight: 480 lbs
"One day, you will inherit the world."

A shimmering sea green sashay among the laborers of the waterfront, Sesorcha carries herself as a queen among lesser races. Her heavy, pampered curves are spared the exertion of developing upper body muscle; she swims only with her tail. Diaphanous shawls tangle her arms to helplessness, and a combination of these and pirate booty cover her nudity. As a serpent, her natural scent is unsettling to mammals, sharp, hackle-raising and deadly, and she always brings a bit of the beach with her. Her voice is a low, crooning resonance that vibrates the water of mortal bodies as steadily as it carries through the waters of the Sea of Sorrows.

Personality:
Imperious, Scheming, Temperamental, Inquisitive.
An unwelcome visitor in a strange port, Sesorcha shields herself with the willful purpose and sense of entitlement of a foreign dignitary, though she is anything but. Having established herself in a nominal position of power, she jealously guards her future and her inscrutable agenda with a keen mind trained to calculate the movements of the stars for eons to come. Though physically larger (or at least longer) than many denizens of Lion's Arch, she detests physical confrontation and engages in little physical work herself, relying instead on a workforce of unskilled, transient workers. In conversation she speaks more than she listens, and once she speaks on something from the heart, she builds to a landslide momentum which is difficult to turn back.

Alliances: Captain's Council, Inquest

Likes and Dislikes: Sesorcha has a keen interest in the ruins of the Breachmaker for her own purposes, and mathematics and astronomy hold her intellectual interest. The sights and sounds and flavors of Lion's Arch delight her, but at the same time she abhors its coarseness and chaos. A hot tea is necessary, at the end of the day, to sort it all out.

One Unique Thing: As a hatchling, Sesorcha was forbidden from ever touching the obelisks of her people.

Background: Into a time of sadness and doubt for the krait, Sesorcha was hatched. In fleeing the holy cities of the deep to escape the elder sea dragon, the benevolence of their prophets fled their bones and their rich oral history was fragmented. Few females were born with her clutch; those who survived to adulthood became powerful leaders of a new generation of shallow-waters clans. Sesorcha, instead, was denied the holy power of the obelisks, and began to forge alliances with the surface people. Her first success was with the Inquest.

Though there was never a strong trust between them, Sesorcha's clan aided the Inquest in their coastal exploration and capture of dragon minions for study. The analytical mind of a krait served her well ingratiating herself to the Inquest, but among them she first tasted bureaucratic power, and her appetite for it was not easily sated. Had she been named an honorary krewe member, Sesorcha might have remained forever. Instead, her thirst for power landed her in Lion's Arch.

Her arrival came at a time of deep distrust for the krait, and many of her clan turned back to safer waters. Sesorcha and only a few krait remained to strike a bargain with the leaders of Lion's Arch: not only would they help to clear the wreckage from the waters of the harbor, they would pay for the privilege. What began as a simple deal to acquire timber for her clan's aquatic homes took an unexpected turn when her old allies in the Inquest contacted her again. There is something of interest, the asura seem convinced, lying on the sea bed among the wreckage of the Breachmaker. Ever since, Sesorcha's obsession has been beneath the dark water of the harbor, and her excavation only a front. The stakes are high, but her just desserts may be higher still.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Crash

Dhi

ShadowFox89

You'll have to find out :-P

Though there are times they do squeek....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Crash

Your Krait makes me want to come up with a Largos even more or maybe a Harpy.....

I want to see what other players are interested in before I make any more NPC's though.

AngelicBlade

Dhi

Thank you Angelic! I hope yours is off to a good start too.

Unfortunately this has not generated enough interest to float as a sandbox game, so we're going to shut it down. I appreciate your interest, and I'm sorry we couldn't make it happen.  :-(