Merging Threads with a New Post

Started by Mellific, November 09, 2018, 01:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mellific

I've merged the individual posts I wanted to move into a new thread. Now I want a brand new post to begin the sequence of merged threads. I've made a new thread and tried merging them with the recently merged, but it always clips my new thread to the bottom of all of the other posts.

Is there a way to make my new post start the topic?

O/O | A/A | MM

Blythe

Ah, the travails of threads in Big Groups as a GM--this can be tricky.

When threads are merged, posts appear in chronological order, so there's no way to 'insert' a newly created post to begin the sequence of threads. So no, I'm afraid you can't with a new post.

However, there is potentially a workaround for this. Is there an OOC post of yours that you no longer need that has a sufficiently old date/timestamp? You could split such a post from your thread and merge it into the thread you want to make, where it could appear at the top.

Mellific

Quote from: Blythe on November 09, 2018, 01:37:20 PM
Ah, the travails of threads in Big Groups as a GM--this can be tricky.

When threads are merged, posts appear in chronological order, so there's no way to 'insert' a newly created post to begin the sequence of threads. So no, I'm afraid you can't with a new post.

However, there is potentially a workaround for this. Is there an OOC post of yours that you no longer need that has a sufficiently old date/timestamp? You could split such a post from your thread and merge it into the thread you want to make, where it could appear at the top.

Aaaaaaah, that is very clever, Bly. Very, very clever.

I will try this and see if I can't get something to work! Thanks muchly! :3

O/O | A/A | MM

Blythe

Hopefully it'll work! Happy to have helped. ^^

Mellific

Quote from: Blythe on November 09, 2018, 01:41:18 PM
Hopefully it'll work! Happy to have helped. ^^

It certainly did! Thanks for the tip! If there is a way around the timestamp thing at some point, please let us know!  :-)  Otherwise, at least there's this way around it. ^^

O/O | A/A | MM

Oniya

If you can't find something, poke a Staffer - we can sometimes find things like old drafts in the bit-basket.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17