A Writing Challenge.

Started by RegularRaskolnikov, July 01, 2010, 10:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insight

What we need is someone to draw a map. We can decide which mortals we will focus on geographically. Does this make sense to anyone?
"I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am"

My Desires: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=159468.0

On and Off Thread

Skystomp

Someone will have to come up with something we need a map of. For that matter, what are we mapping? That little blob of whatever, mud, clay, dirt...
The only way you fail, is by not trying.
Linkara "I read it and I wish I hadn't!"

Ironwolf85

we've still not done the RP yet... mine was a prevew... and I'm thinking of the basics of my guy's personality ahead of time.
and yes... guardian of events past could be cool for me, but we'll see what's happened.
since this is elliquiy our deities are probably gonna invent sexy and kinky stuff really fast XD
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Chrystal

Quote from: bradten on July 07, 2010, 08:45:30 PM
What happened to the Goddess of Chaos?

chaos: noun -  complete disorder and confusion.

If I'm a goddess of chaos, I am at liberty to do whatever I like without rhyme nor reason. That includes imposing order on everyone else if I so desire. It also means I don't have to justify myself to anyone, so ... *sends a very large electrical spark directly at Bradten* Up yours!

Quote from: EmptyEternity on July 07, 2010, 09:07:37 PM
The problem here, I think, is we're too quick to pick domains. Remember this is is the VERY beginning to time, we are just forming our individual consciousness and there is literally nothing around us. I think we should be starting at that point instead. A being discovering that, it exists, and holds great power over that existence.

Um, actually, no, this is not the very beginning of time. There is no time. We have no time. Time does not exist where we are. Time, is that stack of blank paper over there, it's beginning at the bottom and it's end at the top. Time is this elastic band *flicks said item in EE's general direction. If he examines it he will notice that it is joined incorrectly and impossibly into a Möbius strip* Time is.. that spec of dust, dancing in the air. Oh fuck, I think I accidentally created a universe inside a speck of dust!

Quote from: Skystomp on July 07, 2010, 10:18:49 PM
Someone will have to come up with something we need a map of. For that matter, what are we mapping? That little blob of whatever, mud, clay, dirt...

Well said, Skystomp. There is, as yet, nothing to map...

Oh and while I think of it...

*wanders over and gives Darkling a great big sexy kiss on the mouth, with tongue.* You, girl, are amazing and I think I love you!

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

PeacethatPowerbrings

A mobius strip actually isn't impossible, I have one right here.

A rubber band no less.
I am filled with recollections of lives I have not lived.

ChaoticSky

@ peace, thats not a mobius strip, a mobius strip has a single twist, so it is used a metaphor in the teaching of dimensions, since from the perspective of a 2D-observer it would be a flat plane, since it has but one 'side' due to the single twist

but you are correct in that they can indeed exist.

Quote from: Chrystal on July 08, 2010, 02:58:06 PM
Well said, Skystomp. There is, as yet, nothing to map...

allow me to provide said map:

QuoteOh and while I think of it...

*wanders over and gives Darkling a great big sexy kiss on the mouth, with tongue.* You, girl, are amazing and I think I love you!
*blushes and returns the kiss* what did i do to earn that? o_o

Chrystal

Quote from: Darkling on July 08, 2010, 04:09:42 PM

*blushes and returns the kiss* what did i do to earn that? o_o

Quote from: Darkling on July 07, 2010, 07:07:16 PM
you read nothing we just said, did you? >_>

Just a little thing, but it was superbly put. Oh and the "map" earns you another, dear. *Kisses Darkling again, a little more passionately this time*

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

EmptyEternity

Quote from: Chrystal on July 08, 2010, 04:14:05 PM
Just a little thing, but it was superbly put. Oh and the "map" earns you another, dear. *Kisses Darkling again, a little more passionately this time*
I would be aroused by this, but I do not believe the concept of genitalia or reproduction has been crafted.

In any-case, I propose a vote, we seem to have enough to get the ball rolling, and given the nature of RR's role-play 'assignment' I don't think we should be relying on him to be a constant presence in this whole affair. So all those in favor of starting an official thread, say 'I'.

PeacethatPowerbrings

@darkling I'm pretty sure that rubber band is only a half-turn off, so it would qualify, given the necessities of working in reality.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: PeacethatPowerbrings on July 08, 2010, 04:30:07 PM
@darkling I'm pretty sure that rubber band is only a half-turn off, so it would qualify, given the necessities of working in reality.
*squints at the picture again* maybe im looking at it wrong, but id swear it twists, then twists back... maybe im wrong.

*edit*
yea... i think i was looking at it wrong. oh well.

PeacethatPowerbrings

In fairness I should've used one of the more obvious models.

Ironwolf85

I'm just here to play, start time and space... maybe create a few more forces of nature...
oh gawd... could be a nature deity, but a diffrent kind from the "Hippie types" in other settings
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

Chrystal

Okay. See, this is a bit like E's approval process. All those in favour of not wanting to continue chatting here until RR comes back...

Bugger off and start your own thread.

All those against, remain here...

Ironwolf85

wheee chatty chat chat....
I'm thinking of all the options....
here are some of them.
1: Kindly, and indeed cheery deity of death
2: the golden god of valor and honor is gay
3: a god of nature who encourages civilization
4: god of knowlage learning never remembers things
5: Love godess who is and remains a virgin
6: war godess who believs in Peace (though enforced by an iron fist)
7: deity of Law who intentionally forments anarchy so he can crack down on it.
7: Deity of chaos who demands obediance in all things

ChaoticSky

those arnt much in the way of possibilites. if one chooses to be a single thing... they will get walked all over by people who do not specialize. since your not gaining anything... a Death God does not have any more control over death than the rest of us... just less control over everything else. mind you, if one wanted to make Death their... hobby. i dont think you would get many people wanting to fight over it... i might be wrong, but its a pertty morbid concept to get obsessed over.

thats how i see it anyway

Ironwolf85

I was just thinking of funny things is all... none of that is relivent to the Rp...

PeacethatPowerbrings

So, I get the irony of having a cheery god of death, and a god of nature who encourages civilization. But why is it odd that a god of valour and honour would be gay?

Ironwolf85

IDK i just wrote down what struck me...
maybe because a I hear it called "immorality" a lot, I it would be funny if the deity of morality was gay

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on July 09, 2010, 08:14:26 PM
IDK i just wrote down what struck me...
maybe because a I hear it called "immorality" a lot, I it would be funny if the deity of morality was gay
well, morality and justice arnt necessarily the same thing.  :P

*nitpicks innocently*

Insight

Seems to me like we're never going to get anything done here. I want mortals, and I want them soonest!

I'm going to give another shot to the mass consensus idea. Let's see what happens.

Who is in favor of creating a planet? No specifications, no rules or restrictions. Just a single, barren, lifeless planet.

All in favor?
"I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am"

My Desires: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=159468.0

On and Off Thread

zoarster

Sorry I'm jumping back into this late, but things have been sort of crazy around here. There are an awful lot of "starting points" around creating a planet that I'd think we'd want to play out--it presupposes the existence of a time-space fabric, of matter, of space (i.e. the galactic/universal model as we know it)... the list goes on. I guess the image of a "planet" is too concrete/non-mythical for me, and I'd prefer something more poetic; just to use Judeo-Christian mythology as a reference, there's the images of the primeval waters in Genesis and the Word in the Gospel of John that kind of allude to what I was hoping for as a start point. Not to suggest taking either of these ideas wholesale, but just that a "planet" is sort of a very modern, scientific, non-abstract start for a mythology.

EmptyEternity

Quote from: bradten on July 09, 2010, 10:50:06 PM
Seems to me like we're never going to get anything done here. I want mortals, and I want them soonest!

I'm going to give another shot to the mass consensus idea. Let's see what happens.

Who is in favor of creating a planet? No specifications, no rules or restrictions. Just a single, barren, lifeless planet.

All in favor?

I for one, support the construction of a lifeless rock.

Ramael

Quote from: zoarster on July 09, 2010, 11:15:17 PM
Sorry I'm jumping back into this late, but things have been sort of crazy around here. There are an awful lot of "starting points" around creating a planet that I'd think we'd want to play out--it presupposes the existence of a time-space fabric, of matter, of space (i.e. the galactic/universal model as we know it)... the list goes on. I guess the image of a "planet" is too concrete/non-mythical for me, and I'd prefer something more poetic; just to use Judeo-Christian mythology as a reference, there's the images of the primeval waters in Genesis and the Word in the Gospel of John that kind of allude to what I was hoping for as a start point. Not to suggest taking either of these ideas wholesale, but just that a "planet" is sort of a very modern, scientific, non-abstract start for a mythology.

What EE said, but also this, for its vagueness. Let's face it, we need a physical plane on which to deal.

Ironwolf85

agreed... I'm done goofing around now, let me know when you guys start playing.
I'm fine with starting with a ball of mud and creating things from there.

Chrystal

I still don't see why it has to be a ball? Why not a disk?

Doesn't anyone here read Terry Prattchet? Or why not a cylinder? Or a Niven-esque ring? Hell we could have a CUBE! Six different, flat worlds, on one  celestial body, separated from each other by impassible mountains, each totally unaware of any of the others, and giving endless hours of fun for us deities as we pick up random mortals from one face and plonk them on a different one!

Or... oooh, a mobius world. Like Niven's ring-world, but with a twist!

Heck, we could create a spiral world...

Why be booring. We can have whatever shaped world we want!