Labels

Started by AndyZ, June 25, 2012, 04:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyZ

How do we know what to call something?

Common logic holds that the person who is best labelled can come up with the label, but this leads to any number of problems.

Since we can freely make fun of politicians on here, what if a politician wants to set up a bill and call it the Bill of Not Killing and Eating Babies, despite the actual lack of any such legislation actually in the bill, simply so that she can accuse any dissenters to the actual bill of wanting to kill and eat babies?

What do we do when people who claim to be of a particular religion want to be seen as that religion even when others dissent?  Does it matter then if it's a majority or a minority who disagree with the actions and words?

What's the best way to decide what to call something?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

MasterMischief

Can there ever be a 'best' way?  Sometimes you want a word to be efficient.  Sometimes you want a word to be descriptive.  I think, in general, it is whatever the majority agrees on.  In English, we make up words all the time.  If enough people begin using the word, it catches on.