Interest Check: 7th Sea Avalon

Started by Zeth, July 23, 2015, 02:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hellrazoromega

Quote from: Zeth on July 23, 2015, 07:36:06 PM
Okay now to address the sex. I'm thinking Bondage and human only. Is that okay?
Priates and bondage?!?!  I don't see it.   :P Just kidding---makes sense to me.

Quote from: Zeth on July 23, 2015, 10:10:51 PM
I cracked open the Pirate nations book. So you guys want to be actual Sea Dogs and part of The Black Dawn's crew? Or Avalon Privateers with your own boat? We will also use the rules in the Pirate Nations book.

Everyone may go ahead and pot character concepts here.

I say we forge our own path or at least have our own ship under Berek's command.

I am thinking of going with Montaigne or Castille but I will be sending a PM with another question and that will shape my background.

Kolbrandr

I'm honestly not really into the Sea Dogs, but I think you have enough people to go on ahead regardless. Good luck with it!

Pumpkin Seeds

I'd say own ship. 

Probably going to play a woman whose family had close ties to Montaigne.  Despite having ancient ties to the landscape of Avalon, her family has mixed blood with the Montaigne and their business dealings were closely tied.  Over the years that old alliance has cost them.  My character would be pushing to re-establish her family’s name and fortune through being part of the Sea Dogs.  Thinking she would practice the Andrews style as she agrees with the tactics and has an appreciation for the nobility of the rapier.

Zeth

Gah, sailing has so many rules.  I'm going to just run a Knights themed game in Avalon instead. Come back Kolbrandr!

Crash

I am less interested in a knights game so Kolbrandr and I can switch out.  Have fun all!

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Kolbrandr

The majority of your would be players were really into the Sea Dogs thing though. I would say that the rules for sailing aren't /that/ bad. You can handwave some of it, or certainly focus on player scale efforts instead of resolving mass boarding actions.

Zeth

Yeah but then we have to decide who is going to be captain and spends Character points on the ship. Which I can't locate rules for to boot. My original goal was a game set in valon and playing sea dogs takes you to the open sea.

Kolbrandr

Everyone can spent points on the ship really. Or you can just give them a ship from one of the sample ships for maximum ease of stuff.  Ship design is on page 194 of the player's guide, and sample ships start on 198.

(I've... run and played a lot of 7th sea *cough*)

Pumpkin Seeds

If it's not what you wanted then that's fine.  If you are interested in a privateer game I'm sure many of us would be happy to help make that happen.  Just as I'm sure many would be happy to help make a Knights game happen if you prefer.

Muse

A game on Avalon's shores sounds perfectly fine to me.  (As does Bondage Human System.) 

If we have a finegan fighter and a swordswoman--which may have changed?--I may do a glamour sorcerer. 

Of course the nice thing about glamour is its pretty versatile.  You could have 2-3 diferent glamour users with largely diferent abilites. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

hellrazoromega

Well a lot of the ship stuff could be hand waved and we can help. That said let me know if we are to be confined to Avalon's shores that will make a huge change for my character. I was thinking of going Castillian but if we are land locked to Avalon that might not be such a good idea.

Zeth

Quote from: hellrazoromega on July 24, 2015, 03:18:56 PM
Well a lot of the ship stuff could be hand waved and we can help. That said let me know if we are to be confined to Avalon's shores that will make a huge change for my character. I was thinking of going Castillian but if we are land locked to Avalon that might not be such a good idea.

Not necessarily, people from Castille, and many other nations, come to Avalon for various reasons.

Kolbrandr

If we're Knights of Elaine though, they're the lot of them from the Islands.

Zeth

Well as long as some one isa Knight the others can be a friend that helps. The last time I tried to force everyone into one society it back fired.

hellrazoromega

Kolbrandr

Quote from: Zeth on July 25, 2015, 12:18:13 PM
Well as long as some one isa Knight the others can be a friend that helps. The last time I tried to force everyone into one society it back fired.

It would be a touch weird for the premise is all. "The agents of the Queen of Avalon about on duty for monarch and country! And also that guy, who is sort of snowflake-ily along for the ride." It's why my other suggestion was something more broadly court centered instead.

Zeth

Hmm we need a set and specific plot. This whole general winging it thing isn't working.

Pumpkin Seeds

The best method I've seen for forum games tends to be making a "central" point like a town or city where the characters sort of congregate and call a home base.  Then you sort of sandbox that area while at the same time introducing plots that might have them venture out as a group.  So really as a GM you are then fleshing out one area real well, letting us sort of play around in there and then as you come up with ideas you can just flesh out small tracts of land outside the "home."

Muse

Pumpkin's got a really solid diea.  Another way to do things--which could be included in hers or seperate--is to c ome up with your villain and what he wants. 

I'll do a knight of Elain's court if it'll help.  Doing so will give you a character who has to take orders, which is great for getting plots moving. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Kolbrandr

I'd be keen on playing a knight as well really, though I'd note, even if not in my interests, the pirate thing is probably the easiest for diversity of concept and also single focus. You're on a ship, you do pirate/privateer things.

I'd otherwise, for a knight campaign or court or some such, suggest basing things out of Caerleon, it's the capital, it has a lot going on, it gets a full page of detail, and there's even a map of sorts.

Beyond that.. I'd actually ask/suggest going for more than 100 point starting, and in this case that has nothing to do with a like for powerful characters so much as a like of ones competent compared to the setting.

7th sea sort of has three main problems (or, at least, most people I talk to have agreed on such), that love of 7th Sea makes for people putting up with.

1) the metaplot from Die Kreuzritter onwards (but that's ignorable)

2) the named npcs in almost all the books are on the whole statted on a scale that as a player you will, especially at the slow rate characters in pbp advance, never touch.

3) Everything is hilariously expensive to the point that you actually hobble yourself pretty hard to take a swordsman's school or sorcery, especially when there are so many different knacks in base skills needed for so many different things (behold athletics alone, and despair. Or courtier). Especially as a swordsman, someone who just spends straight on relevant traits and skills will generally be as good if not better at ass kicking.

Most games I've played in, to get around that, or to at least provide the chance of getting to one day feel the journeyman level of whatever thing you ran with, or make it less painful to go for full sorcery or swordsman (or god help if you if you looked at the various npcs that have both and thought "I could do that too!", both) go for creation point spending from 175-250, while keeping the nothing above 3 limit so that no one borgs into 5s of whatever or starts as a journeyman in something or etc.

It's just a personal view I've had and found in a few others, figured to mention.

Zeth

While I agree with everything you said so far, I must say No. I tried giving out extra points before and it bit me in the ass. Build your characters in the standard way and I'll pour on the XP during play.

kckolbe

Quote from: Kolbrandr on July 25, 2015, 09:12:52 PM
Everything is hilariously expensive to the point that you actually hobble yourself pretty hard to take a swordsman's school or sorcery, especially when there are so many different knacks in base skills needed for so many different things (behold athletics alone, and despair. Or courtier). Especially as a swordsman, someone who just spends straight on relevant traits and skills will generally be as good if not better at ass kicking.

This is true at character creation, but in a long campaign, those with sword schools do become stronger.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Kolbrandr

Quote from: kckolbe on July 25, 2015, 09:29:28 PM
This is true at character creation, but in a long campaign, those with sword schools do become stronger.

It has to be a pretty long campaign, is what I'm saying there.

Zeth

Well in a real 7th Sea game played at a live table you get 3 to 5 xp points a session plus left over Drama. By the time your rep is high enough for one of those NPCS to notice you, you would of gamed 5 sessions or more and have between 15 to 25 xp under your belt for each player character. When you actually face him, it is usually at the end of an adventure, another 4 or 5 sessions and each character has between 30 to 50 x plus drama dice xp and can totally kick the crap out of him.

No one I have met has played 7h Sea live though. It is always play by post, and play by post does not have set sessions. Therefore GMs must wing it and Player Characters are getting LESS XP then they should and come out under powered. Also most GMs I met ignore the Reputation system. A key mechanic to character growth. So f I give you extra XP and you actually spend them, your characters will be fine.

hellrazoromega

Quote from: Zeth on July 25, 2015, 10:17:35 PM
Well in a real 7th Sea game played at a live table you get 3 to 5 xp points a session plus left over Drama. By the time your rep is high enough for one of those NPCS to notice you, you would of gamed 5 sessions or more and have between 15 to 25 xp under your belt for each player character. When you actually face him, it is usually at the end of an adventure, another 4 or 5 sessions and each character has between 30 to 50 x plus drama dice xp and can totally kick the crap out of him.

No one I have met has played 7h Sea live though. It is always play by post, and play by post does not have set sessions. Therefore GMs must wing it and Player Characters are getting LESS XP then they should and come out under powered. Also most GMs I met ignore the Reputation system. A key mechanic to character growth. So f I give you extra XP and you actually spend them, your characters will be fine.
I ran 7th Sea table top nearly every Saturday for a year and a half. I admit I had the benefit of having some help and input from one of the games Devs though.

I'm Ok with 100 pts.