News:

Main Menu

Speech-Disrupting Gun?

Started by TheGlyphstone, March 15, 2012, 12:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/weird-gun-future-attacks-words-not-people-193050045.html

I don't know whether to be amazed or creeped out. So, pretty much like my reaction to everything else Japan creates.

Avis habilis

I was envisioning something along the lines of the Cardassian aphasia bomb from that Deep Space 9 episode, but this runs a pretty close second.

Shjade

To be fair, I find that pretty much any kind of gun is pretty successful at disrupting a speech. Funny how that works.

More seriously though, this seems...I dunno. I get the theory, but given I work with sound gear all the time I'm used to hearing slightly-out-of-sync audio and find myself doubting how consistently something like this could cause absolute silence. I think you could just get used to it and talk through it, especially if you know what's causing the issue. I'd certainly like to test it.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Oniya

It wouldn't be that hard to test.  Get yourself a set of those big bubble headphones, a microphone, and a delay circuit.  Run the microphone through the delay circuit and into the headphones and start talking.

I know that the few times I've had to deal with some echo on a phone line, it's disrupted the flow of my speech pattern, so unfamiliarity would probably be a factor.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Shjade

Quote from: Oniya on March 15, 2012, 06:29:54 PM
I know that the few times I've had to deal with some echo on a phone line, it's disrupted the flow of my speech pattern, so unfamiliarity would probably be a factor.

Yeah, it's definitely disconcerting even if you're used to it - even if you're expecting it - but I can't say I've ever seen an effect like that cause someone to become incapable of speech. Incapable of coherency, perhaps, but that's hardly the same thing as silence.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Oniya

If you're not used to it, and you are conscious of the fact that you're losing coherency, and you're in a situation where you want to be heard and understood - that's a strong incentive to shut up.  It's not exactly doing something to prevent someone from talking, but it's providing a heck of a smack if they try.

Mind you, knowing that something like this is out there would be a reason to carry some of those heavy-duty ear-plugs.  It's easier to talk when you can't hear at all compared to talking when you've got a delay.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Zakharra

I  could see members of Congress, State and local legislators, politicians and some judicial people using this if it becomes available.  There's some definite free speech problems with this piece of equipment.

Hemingway

Well, that's quite alarming.

I do have one question, though.

What if you're deaf? Or, at least partly or temporarily impaired. I mean, that sort of limits the political uses of such a device.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Hemingway on March 17, 2012, 03:32:14 PM
Well, that's quite alarming.

I do have one question, though.

What if you're deaf? Or, at least partly or temporarily impaired. I mean, that sort of limits the political uses of such a device.

It wouldn't work as well or at all, but I honestly think that the overlapping subset of [Deaf/Hearing-Impaired] and [Political Rally Leader/Speechmaker] is pretty small in all respects.

Hemingway

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 17, 2012, 03:59:17 PM
It wouldn't work as well or at all, but I honestly think that the overlapping subset of [Deaf/Hearing-Impaired] and [Political Rally Leader/Speechmaker] is pretty small in all respects.

I was thinking about how, when we hear our own voice, it doesn't sound the way others hear it, because what we hear isn't just the sound traveling through the air and to our ears. I'm wondering if this is in any way similar. That is, would you hear it even if you'd block your ears somehow? I have no clue if that would even be possible - or safe. But that's why I'm asking.

Oniya

If you can't hear your voice from the gun, the cognitive disconnect can't occur.  That was why I mentioned the heavy-duty earplugs.  As a hearing individual, I can still hear what I'm saying through conduction, even if my ears are plugged (try it some time).

Zakharra

I wonder how effective this would be against a crowd. With enough people shouting/yelling, you get a white noise anyways. How could this disrupt that?

kylie

It does seem to me like it would have to be targeted at some distinct "speech."  Although more organized protests often have leaders and chants.  I don't know if blurring a group chant could be anything like feeding back an individual's speech, for this device.

There's certainly room for more "noise" rather than speech, and other forms of protest.  But there, it may seem easier for police to rationalize cracking down on as "disorderly" behavior...  Not that they aren't already stretching or selectively dropping the law.

Hyperparekkliphiliac

In the science fiction book "Illegal Aliens," the species that essentially functions as space police have neuropathic anrnaments: telepathic guns. The primary one is the STOP THAT cannon or gun, which via an overwhelming psychic command, makes everyone just stop what they're doing, whatever they happen to be doing. A rarer form, generally issued to the unfortunate member of the species designated to talk to the data-gatherers from galactic society ( because, no matter how alien and inhuman things get, talking to reporters is the bane of a copper's day ) is the SHUT UP pistol, which makes the being hit stop mid-word, and stand there, blinking stupidly.

Just thought that would be topical. The book is essential for anyone tired of the standard First Contact trope.

DrFier

I've got to get me one of these, and put the Phelps family in the cross-hairs.
Ons and Offs
Ideas
The Doctor is out.

Screen images simulated. Not an actual physician. Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt. If you have an erection lasting more than four hours, contact your significant other.

tazzlez60

I would hate to have to consider the consequences of one of these things malfunctioning and leaving the individual tongue-tied for life... :/

Oniya

The concept is very simple, and it's one that most TV/radio personalities already know about.  By re-playing the sound of someone's voice at a slight delay (especially at a higher volume), it disrupts the normal feedback that lets us know that we've actually said something.  This is why, if you call into a live broadcast, they tell you to turn off the radio/TV that you're watching on.  You will start to stutter.

Once the replay is stopped, you get the normal feedback back, and the stutter stops.

TheGlyphstone

This won an Ig Nobel, by the way.

Tamhansen

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 17, 2012, 03:59:17 PM

I thought all politicians were deaf/ hearing impaired. At least, they never seem to hear their constituency :p

As for the device, it's fun, but as for scary weapons from Japan I fear the targeted EMP gun a bit more frightening.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

TheGlyphstone

That's why this is so effective...the only thing politicians hear is themselves, and this ruins that. :D

Tamhansen

no way. You're telling me people like Michelle Bachmann and Todd Akin actually hear themselves making those comments?

Hmm WOW!!
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

TheGlyphstone

Zarrin

I saw this thing a while ago, and I must say I would like it, I think it would be interesting to play with.