One-on-One: Hunter Phoenix and Sophidian

Started by Sophidian, August 12, 2010, 05:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophidian

The Two Scrolls, the most famous, and only, inn in the small town of Onawa, was filled to the brim that evening. Every cushion held a person - the variety ranging from farmers to ronin - and every person had a warm drink in their hand. Despite the cozy look, the Two Scrolls stood at the precipice of ruination. The paper walls had begun to fold in, allowing a cold breeze to flow through the bottom floor. The rooms were no better off; one had been completely closed as the wall had crumbled during a hail storm two months before.

Tanaka Shie, daughter of the proprietor, sat in the corner, pouring another shot of sake for the two men who had come to try and buy the inn. They were promptly shoved out of the room and informed that no man- nor woman- would get their hands on Tanaka-san’s prized possession. As Shie finished pouring, she wished he’d meant her.

Pushing the strands of dark hair that fell out of her pigtails away from her face, she glanced toward the rattling door. Ever since the first sighting of the Umbral Orchid, nothing had been quite the same. Two people had disappeared that month and she could only imagine what else would come. “Thank you,” she said to both men, standing with the grace acquired from years of repeated kneeling and rising. She scanned the room, searching for the next person to be served.
Ons & Offs -- Searching for RPers -- A & As (September)

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass."
-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

huáng Lièrén (Hunter Phoenix in Chinese) walked silently into the village of Onawa, he had been travelling for several days, he was low on supplies and this was the only village for miles around. He greeted several people as he walked along the road searching for the market that seemed to not exist. He was just going to ask someone if there was a shop or market stall he could get supplies from when all of a sudden, two men came flying out of a building to his right, followed by a man who ranted that they would never buy the place from him and then promptly closed the door.

He was attracting some curious glances from the villagers, they obviously hadn't seen a traveller in some time, and Lièrén certainly stood out, he was 6ft tall, extremely broad, had shoulder length black hair that hung loosely instead of in a traditional knot and he was carrying a sword and pack as well.

Lièrén thought he could possibly investigate the premises to see if they had any supplies they could possibly give him, along with a room for the evening. He opened the door and bowed politely as someone rushed over to see to him, the place was packed with people, at first glance anyone would have thought the place full, but he was directed to a seat by a girl who asked him what he would like, he asked for some time to contemplate and bowed again as the girl left to see to other customers.

OOC: I hope this is ok for my first post, now I need to get going, shall reply to your next post as soon as I am back on the site :) take care and talk later
Where Will A Creature Of Darkness Hide If Not In The Shadows Of The Night.

Sophidian

Her eyes followed the man as he came in, seeing his loose hair and tall features. Frowning, she returned to the small alcove they kept the chilled sake in and grabbed another jug as the girl who'd seated him, a dear friend named Mei, chatted excitedly about the "strange man."

"I'm sure he's just passing through. No. Yes. No," she said again in her low voice,  shaking her head. "I'm positive he isn't here to kill us. You don't have to serve him. I shall."

After giving the man another two minutes - which she spent examining his attired and person, wondering why he'd stop in Onawa of all places - she walked over and bowed at the waist. Dressed in undyed wool, she shifted at the itchy material as she straightened. "Have you made your decision, sir?"

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass."
-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

Lièrén looked up at the new woman who had come to serve him, he smiled to her

"Hello there, yes, I will have Stir fry pork with rice along with whatever the most popular drink in the house is, thank you"

Hunter smiled and bowed again as the woman took his order. He looked around the interior of the building and decided he liked what the owner had done with the place even though it did look like one good storm would flatten it. It certainly needed working on, maybe Lièrén could help him out in exchange for a place for the night.

"Excuse me, but who is the owner here?"

He asked the girl this before she could walk off with his order.

Sophidian

Shie paused as he asked the question, taking a glance over her shoulder. "My father, Tanaka Kyo. Pardon my intrusion, but if you're asking to buy it, I'm afraid he will tell you no. Repeatedly." Turning back toward the front of the room, her eyes sought to find her father among the guests. The short man blended in far too well.

"If you would like to speak to him despite that, I could fetch him for you, sir." She faced the man once again, this time examining his sword. Such a weapon wasn't seen too often in Onawa and the amount of money one cost could feed a small family for weeks. Briefly considering if she should call forth some guards, she sent a look toward the door.

-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

Lièrén nodded

"Please, I wish to speak with him, not to buy this wonderful place, thank you my dear, oh don't worrt, I aren't here to cause trouble"

Lièrén took a pouch from his belt and produced a gold coin and handed it to her

"This is for you and you alone, for such wonderful hospitality you have shown me this evening"

Lièrén bowed his head in thanks and waited for the owner to be brought over and for his meal and drink to arrive as well. He stifled the yawn that threatened to force its way out of him, he was tired, but he could wait for sleep.

Sophidian

Shie stared at the coin in her hand, raising a single brow, and returned to her father. After a brief exchange, she nodded to him and followed the path back to the man. On the way, she grabbed the sake mug and food, twirling around the few other servers before reaching his table in a flurry of wool and dark hair.

"Here you are, sir. The gold coin will be payment enough." She placed each dish on the table with a smile. "My father will see you in his office. I can lead you there when you're done with your--" A loud crash from upstairs interrupted her, bringing her head angled toward the area of the inn that was blocked off.

"Your food," she continued.

-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

Lièrén looked up at the stairs which looked to be blocked off, then he looked back at the woman serving him

"Thank you for serving me, it looks delicious, I will let you know when I am ready to talk to your father, is everything ok here? I'm sure I heard a loud crash coming from upstairs"

Lièrén was curious, apart from the friendly service here in this building, everyone seemed weary of travellers and he had attracted some strange looks as he had walked through the village.

Sophidian

She shook her head. "Everything is fine. The building just has a few problems." Signaling a waitress, she inclined her head toward him. "Please follow me."

The stairway was narrow, giving room for just one person to walk at a time. Normally, she'd allow him to walk first as is traditional but the man didn't know where he was going. She takes each step slowly, secretly afraid that they'd break beneath her. Another crash came from the side, this one accompanied with a quiet hissing.

"Oh," she gasped, "the wall must have fallen again. His door is right through there," she motioned to it, "and he's waiting. If you'd pardon me.."

-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

Lièrén followed the woman upstairs and thanked her for showing him where to go.

Knocking on the door that he assumed was the entrance to the office, he waited to be asked to be let in. He listened for sounds as well, when he had heard that low hissing sound, he was sure he was being watched by something, but then he shook it off and put it down to paranoia.

Sophidian

Shie moved down the hall, peering through the ropes that have cut off the majority of the entrance. Beyond it, a squat, red-skinned creature paced back and forth. Claws glinting in the light, it started to scratch along the walls, ripping through the rice paper.

Muttering a quick prayer, she took a step back and placed her hands together...

---

The door swung open, revealing the  square table that came about a foot off the ground. Tanaka Kyo, short and balding, peered up at the man that entered with a frown. "You told my daughter you didn't wish to buy my inn and I am holding you to your word."

He stood, stretching his legs out, pointing a finger toward him. "If you want anything out of--"

A scream cut through air, rattling the boards.

-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

Lièrén was just about to ask the owner of the inn if he had either some work for him to do or for a place to spend the night when the scream cut in, drawing his sword quickly, Lièrén span around and headed back out onto the top floor of the inn.

"Hello, is anybody there?"

He called out into the darkness, clutching his katana firmly in his hands incase he had to use it.

Sophidian

"Stay back!" Shie throws her hand out in the darkness, shaking her head to him. "It broke through the ropes. We need to find it before the guests do."

She ducked around the ropes, peering into the room. The strong breeze tore her hair from the pigtails, letting the mid-length tresses catch on the wind. Whispering a quick spell, her hands began to glow, illuminating the room. The howling and hissing of the wind hides the sound of her movement.

Glancing around, she fell to her knees, peeking in corners and under the furniture. "Where are you, oni...?"

-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

Lièrén was confused, find what exactly?

"What are we looking for exactly, I aren't leaving you by yourself, no matter what, if this thing is dangerous then it needs to be dealt with"

Lièrén looked around in the now illuminated room, so the girl was a magic user, this was interesting, just what manner of town had he walked into exactly? He wanted to know more now.

"Tell me what you are looking for so I can help you"

Sophidian

"Well," she began, not looking at him even once, "it's short. And red. And has teeth that could break your sword in half if it felt so inclined." She crawled toward the bed, her hands flashing light on and off. She normally wouldn't have shown him this side of her, but if her home - her town - was threatened again, she had no choice.

"You see, it's a monster. A disgusting little creature that wants to feast on souls." She finally looked over, motioning toward the bed. "They've started to come to the town a few months ago. And all we can do is fight them off... There's no sign of where they came from or how to stop them except. One." Another inch forward. "By." And one more inch. "One!" She grabbed the quilt, yanking it off.

-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

Lièrén muttered under his breath

"Ok then, so we are looking for a soul eating evil little demon that can chew through metal are we, terrific"

He kept his eyes peeled on the area where the woman was, she was a mage or witch of some kind, obviously hse knew what she was doing so he didn't dare try to order her around incase she turned on him.

"How long has this being going on for exactly? No wonder I was attracting all sorts of looks from the people in the street"

Sophidian

She saw that no creature rested under the bed and sighed, swearing once in a most unlady-like fashion. "Where is the little beast?"

As if suddenly realizing that he spoke to her, she turned, keeping half-an-eye on the places around the room. "You have a sword. Not very many people use swords in Onawa. In fact, not many can afford one. And - HA! Get back here!" She shoved past him, ignoring what she was saying as the creature pitter-pattered in front of her and off down the hall.

"Oh no!"

-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

"The sword was never mine to begin with, I am a wanted man back where I come from, I was caught stealing bread for my family, the guards tried to take me away so I grabbed one of their swords and cut them down before they knew what was happening, now I spend my days wandering from village to village, helping where I can and then moving on, so it isn't like I am rich, I just know how to survive"

Lièrén turned to see the little demon running down to the main hall so he ran after it.

"Get back here you little blighter"

He called after it, jumping down the stairs where chaos had exploded everywhere, the customers were running about in a panic, making for the exit, the demon was lurking around somewhere, the customers had obviously seen it and panicked because they knew what it was and wanted to be out of there before it claimed one of them.

"Come on, where are you"

He kept his eyes peeled for the little creature, it couldn't be too hard to spot surely.

Sophidian

Listening to his story, she looked at him in a new way, frowning after a moment. Instead of saying what she wanted to about guards, she hops down the stairs, seeing the creature rushing around under the tables. "Please, leave. I apologize for our lack of hospitality--" She winced as people screamed. The demon had touched their legs. "--but you cannot stay here right now."

Jumping onto a table, she began to make her way around the room, refusing to touch the ground. Once she landed on the table it hid under, the solid wood shook then toppled. She reached out her hands, trying to catch herself. "Get it!"

-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

Lièrén looked at the woman like she was mad

"I aren't going anywhere just yet, not until we catch this thing"

He spotted the creature under the table she landed on and as the table toppled, he lurched forward, aiming to stab the creatures tail so that it couldn't run away anymore. He was close, but he had misjudged the stab and ended up stabbing it in its hind leg instead, it screamed an inhuman scream that made his ears ache and his teeth tingle.

"This sure is a loud little beast isn't it"

Sophidian

Covering her ears, she scrambled back to her feet and stared at the creature. It tried to move, though much slower than before. Muttering another spell-word, she held out her hands and watched vines break through the floor, flowering as they wrapped themselves around him, holding it in place. The wood cracked from the front of the inn to the back, spreading like ice that had been shattered.

"There's a sword," she shouted above the scream, "behind the serving table! It'll kill it!"

-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

Lièrén dropped his own sword and covered his ears to block out the worst of the scream that was emitted from the demon and he sprinted to the desk and came back up with the sword he was told to get. He jumped over the desk and ran back to the demon, brought the sword down quickly and decapitated the red devil, blood spurting and shooting out of its neck as its head fell away and rolled across the floor.

"That good enough for you, damn that thing could scream, your good, for a witch"

He handed her the sword and then picked his own back up and sheafed it.

"So what the heck is going on in this village exactly? Any clue what so ever as to what set these things loose?"

Sophidian

She took the sword in her hands, holding it between both of her hands for a moment. Her fingers traveled over the inscription, remembering the man who had once wielded it. With a single look at the dead demon, she shook her head and placed the sword back.

"We have no clue what set them loose. As I said before, two months ago, they just started attacking. Slipping in, stealing away children. You'll notice, if you walk through the place, there are only two or three children left. They started going after young adults next, and the elderly. Bit by bit, we're losing our village to these things." She kicked the head away from her path, staring at the broken floor. "My father is going to have my head..."

-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

Lièrén looked around and nodded

"Well, I'm going to stay and help you get to the bottom of this, I will pay for any damages that have been dealt here, it isn't your fault these things are running around, you just did the best you could, I'll take this outside and bury it, then I can help clean up in here"

He leaned down and picked the body of the demon up and then picked the head up as well and made for the exit so he could find a spot to bury the body, or possibly burn it.

"You can call me Lièrén by the way"

He called back to her, so she knew what to call him from now on.

Sophidian

Shie watched him go, tiptoeing around the broken floorboards. Deciding to show him where the other bodies were, she quickly caught up with him, slippered feet rustling through the long grass. "Hello Lièrén. I'm Tanaka Shie. You may address me by Shie."

They arrived at a spot not too far off, a circle of black grass and scorched earth. "We burned them there. Do you have a match?"

-- Anton Chekhov