Re: APOCALYPSE RUNNERS: A 'Zombies, Run!' Spinoff [Wait List]

Started by Eislynn, August 09, 2012, 09:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eislynn

Accepted Characters list: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=149392.0
OOC Happy Joy Fun-time Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=149060.0
IC, OMG, Got a zombie after me!: (TBA)

In a true homage to the genre, our story takes place in the foothills of the rolling landscape of the Allegheny Mountains. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, fourteen months since patient zero was discovered in an area hospital.

The apocalypse is here to stay. When the undead horde swept over the city it left few standing, but mankind is stubborn. Small settlements of living humans are springing up, and with those settlements, comes safety - it's a hot commodity these days. The settlements are like organisms dotting the ruined landscape. Some thrive. Others fizzle out and die.

Brunot Island

You have heard rumors of a settlement that has been set up on what used to be Brunots Island in the ruins of the old power station. The handful of residents are currently working on restoring the 315 megawatt generating station in their midst. It would be no secret if they'd been successful, but they must have at least a small output to power their town and the beacons.

When the world was whole, a small ferry used to run, but now the only dry method of reaching the island is a train trestle that connects to either side of the river. In the time since the world ended, heavy gates have been constructed at either side.

The undead have a hard time swimming there. Those that aren't bloated enough to get carried away by the surface current sink and tumble along the bottom of the river. Most of the island's banks consist of a ten foot rocky cliff straight up from the water. On its northern banks, barricades achieve much of the same effect. Even if an undead was incredibly lucky and wasn't swept downstream, it wouldn't make it ashore.

If Brunot and other 'towns' like it are organisms, then runners are their lifeblood. Runners are those brave individuals that risk their lives in a deadly race against the undead. A runner must be cunning, resourceful and above all else, fast. The undead take to shambling just like many movies predicted, but every once in a while, their tenacity for assimilation pushes them into a full on run. What their rotting bodies lack in straight speed they make up for in endurance. Runners leave the safety of the town to collect resources needed for the town's well being. Just like blood cells bringing oxygen to major organs.

You are alone. You may be the product of living in a basement for the past year or so. Maybe you had friends with you... Not now. You might have been in a town as it fell - the structure still there, but watching in horror as pink flesh gave way to gray rot. It might be the first time you've been lost and alone, or it may have been one of many towns you've witnessed die. Yet here you are. Alone, Afraid, but Alive. Having traveled anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks, you spot your salvation: What's that in the distance? A beacon? Yes. Lights on the water. Night is falling and you can see the literal light at the end of the tunnel.

About the game:

This game is mostly based on the Alternate Reality Game "Zombies! Run!" that I've been playing. I'm also weaving elements of "The Colony" and pretty much the entire Zombie genre as well. This game will be free-form with not much of a system. What it will have in place is a mutual respect for fellow players. This will be less about combat than the story of your survival and the relationships you build along the way.

Characters should be based in reality. No one in this game will have abilities that a real human would not have. OP Characters are not realistic. If you are really super good at one thing, it must comes as a sacrifice to something else. Equivalent exchange and all that. As such you will be asked to designate what your profession was before the apocalypse. Your skills and abilities will be based on that. Hobbies will be accounted for as well within reason.

Basically if you don't have a good enough reason for why you character is able to do something, they probably can't do it. If you have your character do something overpowered, or disrespectful, then as GM I'll make sure that something overpowered, disrespectful, or maybe downright stupid will happen to them in game.
A Word on Weapons

This being Democratic Southwestern Pennsylvania, guns are reasonably available. It's the ammunition that is becoming a precious commodity. In the first days of the outbreak, this wasn't a concern, but as civilization fell, ammo was freely dispensed upon the hordes to the point of endangerment.

Those wishing to conserve their precious bullets for the most dire of circumstances have taken to using improvised weaponry. Clubs, Axes, Frying pans, Knives, even traps are common. Eschewing firearms has other advantages as well. The undead are drawn to loud noises like moths to a flame. Thus not only the effectiveness but the acoustics of a weapon must be taken into consideration when choosing one.
A Rant about Runners

In a world where even gasoline to power engines is growing scarce, runners are among the elite. They are vital to the new world order where damn near everything is a scarcity. Runners are gatherers of supplies and intel, hunters prowling what is left of the concrete jungle, messengers of happenings beyond the protective bubble that surrounds each settlement. They the tether that holds a settlement together, and a settlement that tries to thrive without runners is destined for failure. Runners are the heroes of a new age. There's no doubt that what they do everyday is danger incarnate.

A runner learns to spend down time wisely. They are given separate quarters that can be locked from the outside in case a quarantine is necessary, but they are often afforded a bit more comfort than the average citizen. Returning runners must submit to an examination for bite wounds each time they enter the settlement, and if any open wounds are found, (even if they're not particularly teeth-shaped) they are locked down for a full twelve hour quarantine.

Each Runner is issued a radio headset, a courier bag, and a numerical designation. The designation is meant to keep the operators from getting too attached, but it's relatively ineffective. Like sports jersey numbers, runners with spectacular careers will have their number retired in the event of their death. Weapons are generally not provided except in extreme cases. Runners are considered to have a natural weapon - their speed. As such they prefer their ability to remove themselves from the situation rather than to engage in a head on fight.
Character Creation House Rules

1.) No Playable Characters will be under age 18. As Sam Yao says: "Aww, kids?! Zom kids are the worst!"

2.) Please specify if you want your character to be a runner or not. Characters whose chosen profession allows them to contribute other skills to the community will likely be the ones who get to choose not to be a runner. By the same token, the runners are the most important to the survival of the town.

3.) Be realistic. I want this to be about human interaction, not superhuman awesome stunts. I want this to be more 'Walking Dead' than 'Evil Dead'. These should be real and believable characters stuck in an extraordinary circumstance.

4.) Being realistic does not need to apply to character portraits - I have a penchant for using animated characters myself. However, if you do want to use a portrait of an anime style character, no chibis or super deformed characters. Go for something in realistic proportions. They must appear at least 18.

Character Sheet!

[float=right][img]Insert Picture Here[/img][/float]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Sexual Preference:[/b]
[b]Occupation (Pre-Apocalypse):[/b]
[b]Personal Hobbies of Note:[/b]
[b]Description:[/b]
[b]History:[/b]
[b]Runner?:[/b] YES or NO

Submit your characters here for approval, and I'll take a look. You are also welcome to submit them to me via PM if you prefer not to hash out your details out in the open.

As this is my first time actually GMing on Elliquiy, please understand that I intend to do my best and everyone should feel free to bring issues to my attention.

Yoroshiku onegai shimasu!

Katida Desu

AndyZ

Interested.  Fast or slow zombies and is a single bite lethal?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

CarnivorousBunny

Quote from: AndyZ on August 09, 2012, 09:17:34 AM

What he said :D
my  o&o and a&a
Current Status: Back on E, but still busy.
Sworn to the Oath of the Drake.

Eislynn

Quote from: AndyZ on August 09, 2012, 09:17:34 AM

"The undead take to shambling just like many movies predicted, but every once in a while, thier tenacity for assimilation pushes them into a full on run. What their rotting bodies lack in straight speed they make up for in endurance."

There are several types of Zombie: Crawlers, Shamblers and Pacers. Crawlers are those ones without legs that just try to grab at and bite your ankles. Shamblers... well they shamble. 'Nuff said. Pacers are recently turned and prone to running. Once they reach a certain level of decay, they just become Shamblers, and if they lose their legs... well you get the idea.

I'm going to have this be a one-bite-to-turn deal as well. You might hear stories of someone bit on an appendage that chopped it off in time and lived, but you don't know if it's true. You personally have never met someone who survived a zombie bite. It would explain why runners quarters are able to be locked down for quarantine.

EDIT RE: TOP POST!

Comp-Days are the best. Not being at work has given me the time I needed to add the character sheet (:D) to the first info post!

I really hope I'm not getting ahead of myself, but I'm excited to make a go of this idea that's been swimming in my head since early June. I know there must be a lot of zombie games going around out there, but I hope that this will be unique enough to garner some interest. 

AndyZ

Name: Naomi Toyamato
Sexual Preference: Prefers females
Occupation (Pre-Apocalypse): Student
Personal Hobbies of Note: Track, parkour
Description:
History:
Runner?: YES

Not sure on the history...let me think on that.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Eislynn

@AndyZ
That's a good start, but I look forward to seeing what you come up with for history. I can see the parkour coming in very handy.

@Everyone
Updated the first post with a word on weapons and a rant about runners - It should flesh out the concept a little better. I think I'll post some NPC details in the coming days as well.

slowmojoe

CarnivorousBunny

I'm considering creating a care giver (to children) or a defender/night watch of the fort's entrances. But what would be the best thing to make next to a runner?
my  o&o and a&a
Current Status: Back on E, but still busy.
Sworn to the Oath of the Drake.

Eislynn

Runners are what I'd like to focus on the most, but there are so many options! I like the idea of either of your suggestions if you can flesh them out. A night watch or defense type character would provide an obvious benefit to the community, but in a round about way so would the care-giver. It would be more of a psychological morale thing than a physically direct benefit, but beneficial nonetheless at it could feed into the virtuous circle.

Personally I don't want to give too much direction that might quash good story elements, but if it will aid you with some more ideas, I'd like people to think in terms of 'The Colony'. It was a show on Discovery Channel. If you haven't seen it, the basic idea is that they take people with real life skills and throw them into a post apocalyptic wasteland. (They set up a perimeter around an abandoned area of LA.) It was a little like survivor in an urban setting, only without the silly challenges and games. For example, one member was a contractor so he assisted in building things as they were needed. A few vital jobs to sustainable survival include such things as mechanics, medics, engineers, etc. They even had a computer scientist prove himself extremely useful. A martial arts instructor trained her fellow colonists in self defense. On season two, they even had a man who makes found item sculptures - he turned out to be incredibly useful.

Swordsman18

I am thinking of making an ex-Marine who I am thinking would be a Runner and a part time Tagger, what I was thinking of taggers would be people that confirm death/zombification, take a picture of the body after it has been put down one way or another and bring back whatever supplies, maps or gear that the runner had on them when they died. He could also be a bit of rescue kind of person if a runner is within a certain range since he would likely follow the no man left behind policy of the Marine Corp.

DRoux

Name: Cassandra Gray
Sexual Preference: Bisexual
Occupation (Pre-Apocalypse): Student, University of Pittsburgh, Film and Video Studies major
Personal Hobbies of Note: She learned a few of her moves from movies and video games
Description: A skinny girl with an absurd knowledge of zombie survival
History: The daughter of a biker and a punk living in Manhattan, Cassandra grew up with the subcultures as part of her life. She was fascinated with her mother's favorite band, The Misfits, and through them, became fascinated with horror in general. Nothing was too scary for her; slashers, vampires, werewolves, ghosts, aliens, giant bugs, monsters, and most importantly, zombies. She was a bit socially outcast throughout her life, and she's developed a sarcastic wit as a "natural defense," as she puts it. While Cassandra isn't from the Pittsburgh area, she knows her way around well enough.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Apologies to all whom I play YIM games with, but my account seems to have locked me out. I'll try to fix that as soon as I can.

Mossberg

This sounds interesting. I've kind of been wanting to do a zombie rp. Are the Runners the only ones that go out of the settlements and do things?
"I killed the whole world, and you can too, if you try hard."
-Lews Therin Telamon

Eislynn

@Swordsman18
I already had a concept for a head of runners, but your proposed character might be a good stand in for that provided something happens to them. Your "Tagger" idea is nice, but that's sort of something in the realm of most runners. Confirming deaths is something that the resident recorder might be interested in though. It should be noted that tech (Cameras, headsets, electronics) that are still in working order tend to be hard to come by. There was a lot of looting and hoarding in the first days of the apocalypse, though, so lucky runners sometime come across things.

@Droux
You've got a good start there. Feel free to flesh it out, but keep in mind that your Media Knowledge of zombies may be contradicted at some points. At the very least, her interest in the horror genre will have desensitized her a bit. You're the second character who is a student - I want to encourage you to pick a school and a major. (Pittsburgh has LOTS of colleges and universities.) another thing to think about is whether you'd like to be a commuter from the area, or an out of state student.

@AndyZ
Picking a school goes for you too, mister! :)

@Mossberg
Ah! Another familiar face! :) Yes, except in a pinch, its generally accepted that runners are the only ones that leave the colony on a regular basis. They're given a headset, a mission, and a prayer and sent forth. That's not to say that things don't happen in the lives of the people who choose to stay safely behind the gates, just that runners tend to live the more exciting (and often, shorter) lives.

@Everyone
I think I'm going to officially call this thing a go if we make it to eight players. (I'd feel better about ten, but that's just me being weird.)  Looks like we're at about 6 right now, so we'll wait a few days to see if we have a few more wander in. :)

I want to do quick individual intros IC for each character detailing them finding Brunot. Try to have a good idea of what drove you out of where you were staying before going to Brunot Island, and we'll RP you into the town from there. If some of you want to collaborate and know each other before coming to the island, that's also fine, I can RP you in together. For example our two students might come from the same university which just recently fell to the zombies.

Mossberg

Quote from: Katida desu on August 11, 2012, 05:52:32 AM
@Mossberg
Ah! Another familiar face! :) Yes, except in a pinch, its generally accepted that runners are the only ones that leave the colony on a regular basis. They're given a headset, a mission, and a prayer and sent forth. That's not to say that things don't happen in the lives of the people who choose to stay safely behind the gates, just that runners tend to live the more exciting (and often, shorter) lives.
Yeah, I was looking up your Memories posts in your profile and came across this. I kind of wanted to play something else but a Runner will suffice. I might have one thought of today but might not. Other than being overrun with zombies and otherwise abandoned, are there any features of note in the area around the city? Like military facilities, mountains or anything unusual.
-Lews Therin Telamon

AndyZ

Since she's basing it around Pittsburgh, it may be easiest just to research that.

If you ever saw the movie Land of the Dead, they used Pittsburgh so you can kinda get a feel for what the place is like through that.

Don't go by Dark Knight Rises because, while they had a few streets where they used Pittsburgh, the city itself doesn't follow the layout that they had for Gotham.

Mossberg

Oh okay. I must have somehow not read that part. Time for google earth -nods-
-Lews Therin Telamon

AndyZ

Name: Naomi Toyamato
Sexual Preference: Prefers females
Occupation (Pre-Apocalypse): Student
Personal Hobbies of Note: Track, parkour
Description:  Although she loves to let her hair grow long, she usually puts it up into a ponytail when she heads out for runs.  Her clothing is always close to the skin in order to make sure she won't trip over it or let it slow her down.
History: About two years ago, Naomi moved out from the sticks to join the University of Pittsburgh with an undecided major.  She never really felt any strong connection to anything except for the track group, where her speed gave her a chance to show off and be noticed in the way that a lot of people never seem to enjoy.  It's a little ironic to only be noticed for something where you're moving so fast that people can't see you very well, but that's life.

After the chaos hit and the world fell apart, so much of life changed but so much of life didn't.  You always figure you're just going to be a new person after Doomsday, and that just didn't seem to happen to her.  Desires didn't go away, it was just that there wasn't any way to get new books or watch TV.  Her iPod ran down but she'd heard all the music enough that it didn't matter anyway.  A shame: she always loved having good music going during a good run.

She knows she's starting to crack.  Of course she is; everyone is.  There's an old story about how courage is a ball, and you pass it around to other people.  When it comes to you, you have to grab on tight and hold it for as long as you can, because other people need you to be strong when they can't.  Sometimes she'll draw a circle on herself in Sharpie when she needs to remember that.

Eislynn

Cassandra and Naomi are approved. As you are both students at Pitt, I have the following idea for your intro: When disaster struck, a small group of students holed up in the Cathedral of Learning in the middle of the main campus. Naomi and Cassandra will start the game there. For your reference, the tower of learning is located in a part of the city known as Oakland and is approximately six miles from Brunot Island.

We can solidify this concept as we see who else joins.

Sometime soon I will put up the first few NPCs.

Mossberg

Is the zombies blood going to be infectious or just their bites?
-Lews Therin Telamon

Eislynn

Quote from: Mossberg on August 11, 2012, 01:53:45 PM
Is the zombies blood going to be infectious or just their bites?

Well you certainly wouldn't want to inject yourself with zombie blood... I'd be wary of getting it in an open wound.

Mossberg

What about the mouth and eyes? Say a character is smashing in zombie heads with a bat and screaming obscenities when some of it spurts on their face.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Eislynn

Quote from: Mossberg on August 11, 2012, 02:00:59 PM
What about the mouth and eyes? Say a character is smashing in zombie heads with a bat and screaming obscenities when some of it spurts on their face.

He might want to invest in a bandana and safety glasses. Just keep in mind that a runner's main goal is to generally avoid fighting and make it back to town safely with what supplies s/he has gathered.

Swordsman18

I was thinking that he would likely use a Polaroid or even the new filmless cameras that work like Polaroids, since not a lot of the populace knows about and would likely be more focused on the pure digital kind it would be likely that he may have taken one from a local electronics store after someone died with him and he took a picture in memoriam.

Radios are something that I am thinking only the most important missions would have and likely his tagging would not be all that high on the priority list. I am thinking though that he likely has a radio that can only receive or something like a Police Scanner to keep track of potential runners coming as well as new survivors.

Eislynn

@Swordsman18
I can accept the tagging as a personal touch to your character rather than something within established protocol. We'll say the Polaroid 300 is going to be the most viable option for him. Just be mindful that he'll have to keep himself in a steady supply of batteries, and film is going to be increasingly difficult, but not impossible, to find.

As for your second assumption, I realize I may not have been clear about the following dynamic, so let me explain: All runners are outfitted with radio headsets when they go out so that operators can try to keep constant contact with them. All of this technology is MacGuyvered together out of the remains of other equipment. I don't want to give too much away just yet, but let's just say the people of Brunot know more than you might be inclined to think and have a rather impressive protocol already in place that you will learn about once you make it there.

Swordsman18

Name: Carl Tarr
Sexual Preference: heterosexual
Occupation (Pre-Apocalypse): Marine
Personal Hobbies of Note: Photography
Description: A man of about 6 feet tall, defined muscles and in good shape but he does not always wear clothes that flaunt his muscles and most of the time he likes to wear camouflage just to make it so that he can blend into the environment somewhat if it is necessary. Since silence is now the weapon of survival, he is most often seen with a bow or a crossbow for he can retrieve the ammunition and it is relatively quiet for singled out kills. He does not carry bags and makes it so that most of his equipment can fit into his pockets or a vest all for the sake of mobility.
History:
Carl was a man that was born in Tennessee and as he grew up he saw that he had no real choice but to join the military since there were not a lot of jobs in his area. Doing so, he ended up as a Expert Marksman, with just a couple targets short of being labeled a Hawkeye. When the war began, he married his high school sweetheart and then headed to Iraq to fight the good fight. While he was off at the war, she moved to Pennslyvania to be with her family since she was getting lonely without Carl around.

But then she got terminal cancer and he cut his tour short to be with his dying wife, though he still took a job at the Military Entrance Processing Center in Pittsburgh while visiting his wife everyday as she died. And while Carl was on bereavement leave after Darlene's death, the world ended and the zombies rose. He tried to join with the main military but by the time he got there they were in shambles and dying in huge numbers, so he fell back to the federal building where he held the building for fourteen months until one of the civilians they had brought with them got sloppy and so the building fell to the Zeds and he escaped.

Eislynn

@Swordsman18
I sent you a PM. See my suggestions there, but Carl is Approved.

Mossberg

Name: Vincent (Vin) Cheeks
    Sexual Preference: Straight
    Occupation (Pre-Apocalypse): Gang member/drug dealer
    Personal Hobbies of Note: Weightlifting and video games
    Description: Vin stands at six feet even and weighs about 220 pounds. His clothing consists of jeans and t-shirts with sneakers or boots. In inclement weather he wears a medium grey jacket or a white down filled coat depending on the weather.
    History: From a young age Vin had been exposed to a dangerous life. His parents were alcoholics and drug users and as a result they stayed poor and had to live in neighborhoods with low property value due mostly to crime. Vin grew up in fear until he became big enough to defend himself from the meaner boys. Once he started fighting he realized that he liked it. And he was good at it. When Vin was fifteen one of his friends introduced him to some of the crips that he hung around with. Just a couple months later he was jumped in and became a full member. The beating lasted 60-90 seconds, and it took him 10 days on bed-rest at home to recover.
    As Vin grew older his assignments from his superiors grew increasingly dangerous, illicit and savage. In the beginning he simply ran messages and played lookout. When he started getting into his late teens they had him out selling drugs and beating people to extort money from them. His early twenties was when he had made his first kill. It had been in a drive by done by some bloods from across town. They hit one of his friends and Vin pulled out his pistol and shot back at the car. With four shots he had managed to hit the driver and kill him. After that night Vin had killed a few more people for various reasons.
    Now twenty-five years old Vin is just about ready to leave the gang when the zombies come. Vin played games and watched movies and he had no illusions about what they were. Luckily he had always been a decent shot and managed to shoot zombies in the head the majority of the time. He quickly learned though that noise just brought more and switched to using an aluminum baseball bat powered by his muscular arms. At the present time he is currently holed up in a supermarket with a few of his friends.
[/quote]
-Lews Therin Telamon

Eislynn

Vin is approved.

I'm having some technical difficulties, but will post up an approved characters thread sometime soon. That is, once I get over the rage I have because I was as dumb as to fail to hit save when I closed my NPC notes today...

In any case:

The OOC Thread is HERE: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=149060.0

Praxis

If you're still looking for runners...I am in.  Been doing Zombies Run for the last two days and would love a chance to write in a game like this.

AndyZ

Pretty sure she's still taking people.  Come on in and make a char.

Praxis

Good stuff.  I'm positively drained at the moment but I'll get one out to her tomorrow.  Thanks for the heads up man.

:)

Eislynn

Ah! Great to have another runner on board! Especially one familiar with the source material. :)

After having completed all the story missions and supply runs on what I like to call easy mode, I am going back through with zombie chases turned on, and man is it kicking my ass!

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your character!

Caitlin

Katida, is there still room left?

I originally joined E to organise my own zombie apocalypse game, but unfortunately most of the participants went inactive on me and I had to cancel that game.

The main character I created for that game would fit perfectly on this one though, she even had jogging/ track as a big time hobby and the character was created to be realistic. For my game I also had people fill in a template with skills and she excelled in things like first aid (profession was a nurse), sewing and cooking, while she wasn't particularly strong or good with weapons. The template in the spoiler is from my own game, obviously it will be updated to fit this game, should I get accepted, but I hope it gives you an impression for what she's like. It lacks a biography in the template because we wanted to introduce the history of our characters during the story and ICly only, but I can post that as well. It's in my files at home though and I'm currently at work.

Caitlin's Character
GENERAL
Name: Caitlin Walker
Date of Birth: December 21, 1988
Profession: Nurse
Sexual preference: Bi-curious

TRAITS (terrible-bad-average-good-excellent)
Dexterity - AVERAGE
Intelligence - GOOD
Perception - GOOD
Stamina - GOOD
Strength - BAD
Willpower - GOOD

SKILLS (terrible-bad-average-good-excellent)
Fighting (melee weapons) AVERAGE
Fighting (unarmed) BAD
Shooting (compound bow) BAD
Shooting (1 handed guns) BAD
Shooting (2 handed guns; shotguns/ rifles) TERRIBLE
Using demolitions (explosives)* TERRIBLE
Applying First Aid - EXCELLENT
Cooking GOOD
Performing Surgery* AVERAGE
Hunting BAD
Setting Traps BAD
Sewing GOOD
Sneaking GOOD
Driving AVERAGE
Flying (airplanes/ helicopters)* TERRIBLE
Engineering* BAD
Hacking Computers* BAD
Lock-picking AVERAGE
Repairing Equipment AVERAGE
Researching (science; inventing cures, vaccines)* AVERAGE

I had a rule in my game that terrible skills would cause severe/ (near-)lethal injuries, while skills that were bad/ average could be trained to a higher level by another character in that game, to promote cooperation between characters. For example, my nurse with excellent first aid could train a police officer with average first aid to become good at it, during the game. Characters could only have 1 excellent skill and terrible skills couldn't improve at all.

Before I commit to this game, however, I'd like to know what the expected post frequency is?
I'm currently in 3 1x1's and I'm also busy with editing a novel I want to publish soon, but I at the same I'm also very interested in joining a game like this. It's exactly what I joined E for. ^_^
(I expect to be able to write a post at least every 48 hours and perhaps even daily, also depending on how often other people update their posts.)

[edit]
I posted a completed template down below that matches your style! :)

Praxis

Quote from: Katida desu on August 15, 2012, 04:30:50 AM
Ah! Great to have another runner on board! Especially one familiar with the source material. :)

After having completed all the story missions and supply runs on what I like to call easy mode, I am going back through with zombie chases turned on, and man is it kicking my ass!

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your character!

I started on Monday and acting brave (and foolish)  I turned the zombie chases on from the start.

O.o

So first night...got chased once by zombies and after some panicking...I managed to outrun them.

Last night...I got chased FOUR times.  (It's completely random by the way)  I got caught the first time because I wasn't warmed up properly.  They "caught" me and I had to lose a tin of food to lure them away from me.

The other three times though I was rocking it.  If you just double your rate of speed you should be able to outrun them in aa 30 to 60 second burst.

I won't be running tonight but I'm looking forward to more of the story unfolding.

ALSO...I'll get a character to you today.  :)

Caitlin

Is it a sort of game Praxis? If so, could you give me a link?

It sounds interesting what you're writing, but at the same time I'm clueless as to what it's about. I prefer to put solid research in the stories I join and will read up on as many sources of information as I can get. ;D

I do hope that I won't need to be super active though, since that could conflict with the other tasks I have to take care of on a daily basis, but one post every 48 hours should be okay. :)

Praxis

Quote from: Caitlin on August 15, 2012, 07:28:07 AM
Is it a sort of game Praxis? If so, could you give me a link?

It sounds interesting what you're writing, but at the same time I'm clueless as to what it's about. I prefer to put solid research in the stories I join and will read up on as many sources of information as I can get. ;D

I do hope that I won't need to be super active though, since that could conflict with the other tasks I have to take care of on a daily basis, but one post every 48 hours should be okay. :)

Sort of.  ;)

So it's an app for your iPhone or iPod Touch.  You turn it on right before you start your run and the "story" are the people from the base/compound that you live in talking to you as if you're "Runner 5".

As you run, you learn more about the world you're in, and the characters being mentioned.  Between "chapters" it plays your music on your device (usually one or two songs) and then the next chapter starts.  While you run, it cuts in and tells you, you have picked up items. (Insulin, crutches, clothes, ammo, etc)  The idea being when you get "back to base" (you're done your run for that night) you distribute the supplies to your base, leveling up various buildings, growing the colony and opening up more main missions and side missions.

You can turn on "Zombie chases" so when listening to a song between chapters, randomly, the song will get interrupted and you'll be told that zombies are approaching.  Then you literally need to haul ass to outrun them.

It's great stuff.

Caitlin

Sounds awesome, well, apart from the part where I need Apple stuff that is. :<

I want to have an iPad, but I don't see it in my budget for a long time to come. I take it that for this game I don't need more background knowledge other than paying close attention to what the OP writes in the introduction posts and all?

I'm really getting interested in the game, though I'm still a bit unsure of how things will work out. It has a great potential though! :D

Praxis

It's a fairly simple zombie story.

I'm sure the GM will flesh everything out and the stuff she's provided already is pretty much all we need to know.

Don't come in with any pre-conceived zombie notions.  Leave it up to her to reveal what we need to know.

Basically...make a runner...and go go go.  ;)

Caitlin

Hehe, once I brushed up my biography a bit and changed some other details around I think I have a pretty decent character already. I had put a lot of effort in developing that character and what her personality is like, so I hope that things will work out well. :)

Praxis

Hey katida.  Just fleshing out my guy.

Do we make people that are brand new to the compund or part of the pre-existing compound?

What would you prefer and make your life easier?

Praxis

Name: Jason McNair
Sexual Preference: Hetero
Occupation (Pre-Apocalypse): High School Teacher - Geography
Personal Hobbies of Note: Running, Reading
Description: Standing 6'2" and weighing 190 lbs, Michael has the lean build of a runner but also someone that doesn't eat as much as he should or could in the current apocalyptic wasteland.  He has dark brown, to black hair that was once closely cropped but now hangs around his ears.  No longer having the time or inclination to shave, Michael sports a beard.  On the outside of his right ankle and calf is a tattoo of a wing, with the joint of the wing seemingly attached to the outside joint of his ankle.
History: Michael was an altogether normal guy.  He got married shortly after teacher's college with a great girl he had met there.  By the time he was twenty-five, his wife was pregnant and two years later, pregnant again.  He led a wholly unremarkable life.  He was happy.  He would have problems but they never lasted for long.  He loved his wife and he loved his son and  his daughter.  He was starting to get a bit soft around the middle when he was twenty-seven and he picked up running.  It just sortof clicked with him.  What started as a way to get some fresh air and lose some weight became something he excelled at.  He was fast and had endurance and well into his second year of running, he began running marathons as well as taking part in triathlons.  His wife and kids were supportive but upon finally getting home after the chaos had erupted and found his wife and children gnawing a still-twitching corpse outside their house...he couldn't help but wonder if he had taken too much of it for granted?  Maybe he should have spent the last three years...every second of it with his family instead of running with and against strangers?  What kind of a father and husband had he actually been if he couldn't protect them from what had happened?  He should have died that day.  He should have died with them but when the three of them and others began to close in on him...he ran.  He ran until he couldn't tell the difference between the sweat and the tears on his face.  He ran and ran.  He ran until he collapsed and vomited.  He stood up and ran some more until there was nothing else to come up so instead he huddled inside a car and dry heaved for hours.  He ran until the world turned black...

He still runs now.  Hiding...scratching out an existence and then running to safety where possible but it's wearing on him.  He needs something else to focus on.  Something else to believe in.

((Just waiting on a response from the GM until I flesh out more of him. ))

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caitlin

I'm pretty far with my biography and already have everything else filled in, I hope to have it done within 30 minutes. :)

Caitlin

Name: Caitlin Walker
Sexual preference: Bi-curious
Occupation (Pre-Apocalypse): Nurse
Personal Hobbies of Note: Running, fitness training, reading books.
Description:
Height – 1.72 meter (5'9”)
Weight – 59 kilograms (130 pounds)
Body – Trimmed and fit, due to regular running and fitness training. She's not very strong, but makes up her lack of strength with endurance and agility.
Skin color – 3/4 Caucasian, 1/4 Asian
Hair color – Almond brown
Hair – Completely shaved below the neckline, whenever razorblades are available.
Eye color – Dark Brown
Breast size – C cup
Wardrobe – Typically she wears a sports bra, a long comfortable shirt, panties, jeans, socks and jogging shoes. She always carries a backpack with her, when she's on a run for supplies.
Weapons – She's an average shot with handguns, a danger to herself with automatic weapons, and she always carries her trustworthy crowbar with her.
History:
Childhood
Caitlin was a cheerful girl, who grew up in a typical suburban neighborhood, in one of the outskirts of Pittsburgh. Her parents were hardworking people, who had jobs in Pittsburgh, and often came home late, leaving Caitlin to her own devices between the hours of getting off school and her parents coming home. Usually she would play with the neighborhood kids, but she also enjoyed reading children's books, when there was nobody to play with. After socializing, reading would always be a favorite way to pass the time.

Caitlin was a tomboy, who enjoyed playing wild games, climbing in trees and loved exploring her surroundings with friends. As a result, she joined the Girl Scouts at the age of eight, and continued to be a Girl Scout until the age of sixteen. It was here that she picked up many useful survival skills, while she enjoyed camping in the outdoors.

Teenage years
Caitlin turned from a tomboy into a beautiful teenage girl, who scored high marks in biology, while scoring above average on subjects like physics and physical education. However, despite her intelligence, she struggled with subjects like mathematics and economics, and she had trouble passing those with sufficient marks. She tried ballet for a year, but she didn't have the patience to practice and perfect the moves. She gave up after she had a major argument with her teacher about her motivation, and she didn't attempt it ever again.

During her years as a Girl Scout, she found out that she genuinely liked to help other people. She wanted to become a doctor, but her GPA wasn't high enough for a scholarship, and her parents didn't have the money to send her to a university. Instead she opted to become a nurse, which, to her, was the second best thing. Additionally, with the nurse program she enrolled in, money wasn't a concern either, since the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center paid for all the tuition costs.

College
While she was in college and studied to become a nurse, she picked up the habit to go running every morning with several of her friends. She took great joy in staying fit, and it was a fun social exercise. Her daily exercise resulted in a fit, trimmed and healthy body. In college she also met her fiancé, with whom she was planned to marry several months after she graduated. However, that was never meant to be.

Career
Once Caitlin graduated, she was offered a job at UPMC Mercy, which she eagerly accepted. Her parents were catholic, and though Caitlin wasn't particularly religious, she strongly identified herself with Mercy's core values. Three weeks later, her fiancé visited her at the hospital. During his visit, he was bitten by one of the aggressive patients. What started as a simple bite infection, quickly spread and turned into something much worse.

He would never leave the Intensive Care Unit, and several hours later Caitlin watched him die a horrible death. Her colleagues had never seen such an aggressive disease before, and they were mystified by what caused it. Even worse was how more patients with similar symptoms were arriving at the hospital, the disease seemed to spread at an exponential rate. Hours after Caitlin had lost her fiancé, all hell broke loose. Despite her best efforts to help the sick patients, it quickly turned out that it was in her best interest to abandon her post. Seeing dead patients, including her fiancé, reanimate, made her decide that she would be safer elsewhere.

She went from place to place, and after she hid out in a safe house for a week with other survivors, she realized that the situation would quickly become unsustainable, as their group was running low on supplies. She tried to convince the other survivors to give up their safe location, and move to a new location with more resources, but it turned out to be a futile effort. They were convinced that their safe house was the best way to fend off the zombies, and they wouldn't even consider her arguments.

That evening, Caitlin stole a crowbar, packed up the last of the remaining supplies, broke through the defenses, and sneaked out. Unfortunately, one of the other survivors hadn't been as vast asleep as she thought, and when he sounded the alarm it drew the zombies to their location. Instead of defending her fellow survivors, Caitlin ran as fast as she could, and left the others to die.

Post-Apocalypse Life
She continued to move from one safe location to another, for months on end. All this time the crowbar had been her trustworthy weapon and a useful tool to break into places. During her struggle for survival, she had also picked up a handgun, but found that ammo was hard to come-by, and she was currently down to six bullets. When she had attempted to use an assault rifle, the recoil had been far worse than she had imagined. The bullets that whizzed by her head, had nearly killed her, and she decided to stick to her handgun and crowbar instead.

Whenever she had the option between fight and flee, she would always chose to flee, due to a lack of confidence in her strength. Occasionally, that caused her to miss out on some great supplies, but she preferred to avoid taking risks whenever possible.

During the past year, Caitlin had become paranoid and wary of other people. She had survived several rape attempts, an angry cannibal, numerous gangs, and she had run from more zombies than she cared to count. Because of all of that, she had come to distrust people, and she couldn’t help but wonder what their ulterior motives were.

With most forms of entertainment gone, she picked up her old hobby of reading again, and, unless there were people she trusted available for socializing, she preferred to spend her spare time by reading a good book. Additionally, since reading didn’t make a sound, it allowed her to stay aware of her surroundings. At the first sound of trouble, she would stop reading and investigate what was going on. The habit turned out to be a lifesaver on several occasions.

Caitlin

It took me a bit longer, since I had to rework some of the biography, but I hope this gives a pretty clear image of what she's like. :-)

Eislynn

Okay. It's been a hell of a day to get to this point. First, work really sucked. If anyone ever tells you being a department head is fun, they're a LIAR. Then after a near miss when a car decided to pass me on a two lane road after I was already going 10 mph above the speed limit, I had my mirror dinged by a second jerk who passed me to run a stop sign because he didn't want to wait. That shook me up, and I didn't even get his plate number as he sped away. To top everything off, I got home to find I had a dead computer monitor. We had to rig an old CRT monitor to my computer using an adapter until my new monitor arrives. *Sigh*

That said, I am here to address the plethora of questions that came up while I was away so here goes:

Quote from: Caitlin on August 15, 2012, 07:58:44 AM
Sounds awesome, well, apart from the part where I need Apple stuff that is. :<

They released it on Android as well.

Quote from: Praxis on August 15, 2012, 11:40:14 AM
Do we make people that are brand new to the compund or part of the pre-existing compound?

Though this is extremely inspired by the App, this is an entirely new story. Your character should have no connection to Abel Township. This time, the setting is Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

On another note, great character so far. I'm pretty much ready to approve you right now, but I'll wait to look over anything else you might want to add. Fair warning, though. I'm extremely familiar with Pittsburgh, especially circa our setting. I'll be using many actual landmarks - Things that a geography teacher should know. I may be sending you a lot of google maps links:)

Quote from: Caitlin on August 15, 2012, 03:22:41 PM
It took me a bit longer, since I had to rework some of the biography, but I hope this gives a pretty clear image of what she's like. :-)

You have a very extensive character there. I really appreciate your attention to detail and making sure to focus on strengths and weaknesses. Nicely done. I do have a few minor continuity issues with some of your back story, but I'll PM you about those shortly. 

A few people have asked about post frequency - I want this to be a relatively laid back game. To avoid problems I've seen elsewhere, I would say not more than one post in 24 hours, and not too much less than one post per 72 hours without polite notice.

I believe that about wraps things up for now. If there is anything I failed to address that someone was waiting for an answer on, please PM me or post here again and I'll get to it as fast as my little fingers can manage.

TheRedFear

Name: Dominic "Deus" Vasquez
Sexual Preference: Hetero
Occupation (Pre-Apocalypse): Movie Stuntman/Fight Choregrapher
Personal Hobbies of Note: Mixed Martial Arts and Parkour
Description: You know the routine. Tall. Dark. Handsome. Etcetera, etcetera. About the only thing worth noting are the crisscrossing knife scars on his back. He doesn't talk about those.

History: Dominic grew up in an unhealthy living environment. One parent was a drunk. The other was a pill-popper. Both were violent when under the influence. So he found every excuse to stay outside. But he didn't get into trouble. He saw where that leads everytime he went home, and he'd be damned if he was going to set a single foot down that path.

Dominic found a relatively good crowd of thrillseekers to fall in with. One internet video later they formed a group of free-runners and started having a blast. Granted much of what they did wasn't particularly safe, but it wasn't criminal either. Well, maybe the occasional act of tresspassing in their search for challenging new environments and minor acts of vandalism but that's as bad as it got.

His athleticism caught the eye of a guy who ran the local fight gym. Dom couldn't pay for lessons, so he gave Dom a mop and a job, and started teaching him how to fight. One day he looked in the paper and saw an open casting call for male dancers in a music video. He showed up, impressed the producers with his moves, and the rest was history.

Dom legally emancipated himself from his parents when he was 16, got his GED, and began a career in the film industry. Before long he was one of the most in-demand fight choregraphers in the business, and even had a few small starring roles himself. His movies were low budget and direct-to-video but each had a cult following do to the incredible fight scenes and his growing reputation as a man who performed all his own stunts. He had just signed the contract to have a relatively major role as the villain in a big budget summer blockbuster. His agent was practically doing cartwheels, assuring him this was going to be his breakout role. He was well on his way to becoming an A-List action star.

Then some jackass let the zombies loose...

Runner?: YES(Number 2 if it isn't claimed yet)

Caitlin

Quote from: Katida desu on August 15, 2012, 07:41:55 PM
Okay. It's been a hell of a day to get to this point. First, work really sucked. If anyone ever tells you being a department head is fun, they're a LIAR. Then after a near miss when a car decided to pass me on a two lane road after I was already going 10 mph above the speed limit, I had my mirror dinged by a second jerk who passed me to run a stop sign because he didn't want to wait. That shook me up, and I didn't even get his plate number as he sped away. To top everything off, I got home to find I had a dead computer monitor. We had to rig an old CRT monitor to my computer using an adapter until my new monitor arrives. *Sigh*
I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck. :(

You might want to consider buying a lottery ticket though! When the good luck evens out the bad luck you could win big time. :p

QuoteThey released it on Android as well.
Unfortunately I don't have a smart phone, but maybe in the future I'll get one. As long as I can use it as an alarm clock, call with it and send text messages I'm okay. Although I'd like it if I had access to What'sapp, since all my friends are using it and it's become harder to stay in touch with everybody.

QuoteYou have a very extensive character there. I really appreciate your attention to detail and making sure to focus on strengths and weaknesses. Nicely done. I do have a few minor continuity issues with some of your back story, but I'll PM you about those shortly. 
Thanks! I'll work on rectifying things shortly.

QuoteA few people have asked about post frequency - I want this to be a relatively laid back game. To avoid problems I've seen elsewhere, I would say not more than one post in 24 hours, and not too much less than one post per 72 hours without polite notice.
This sounds perfect yes. Although I hope that those who don't post at least every 72 hours will get actively chased for posts as well. I'm only around E for a few months, but I noticed that once people get behind they have a really hard time to get back into the game as well. I'll gladly borrow you my broom to do the chasing with. :p

Caitlin

Quote from: TheRedFearOne youtube video later they formed a group of free-runners and started having a blast.
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but youtube wasn't around yet 8+ years ago. :-s

My template is modified and updated. I think all the pm requests are implemented, but please let me know if there is something else that requires fixing. :-)

Oh, by the way, can I be either Runner 3 or 6? (I have a preference for 6 actually, but 3 would work too.) ;D

Caitlin

I caught up with all the templates of other people and it seems like Caitlin might already know the other two girls since she also studied at Pittsburgh University. She likely knows Carl from his visits to the hospital, where she worked as a nurse, or would at least recognise him from his regular visits. :)

Lyria

I am very interested in this if there is still room. If so, I'll work on getting a character to you some time today.
All you have is your fire
And the place you need to reach
Don't you ever tame your demons
But always keep 'em on a leash.           ons/offs

Caitlin

Oi cool, would be fun if you get to join too Lyria! :)

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of character do you have in mind?

Lyria

I am thinking of a young Latina woman who grew up on the streets with just her brother as family. He sacrificed himself to save her, so now she is alone.

Before the zombies rose, she and her brother survived by committing petty crimes and crashing in abandoned buildings. She's never had formal education, though her brother did the best he could to teach her the basics. She never did learn to read, as she has dyslexia, but neither of them ever knew why it was so hard for her. They dodged the authorities as they were brought to the country illegally by their mother, and didn't want to risk being sent back to a country they didn't remember, and didn't want to risk being separated.

She is tough, quick, and practiced in parkour (though they never called it by that fancy name, it was just a way to get out of an area quickly and into another). She is also prone to fight, is defensive, and distrusting, and also used to having to steal what she needs. But, she does have a large heart hiding behind her hard exterior. She wants to reach out to others, especially now that she is basically alone in the world, but doesn't know how to start.

Caitlin

Sweet, it sounds like a really lovely character. I'd love to have my character interact with yours, it sounds like they have some things in common and perhaps my character could even help her learning to read. :-)

Lyria

Quote from: Caitlin on August 16, 2012, 09:37:24 AM
Sweet, it sounds like a really lovely character. I'd love to have my character interact with yours, it sounds like they have some things in common and perhaps my character could even help her learning to read. :-)

If my character is accepted, I am sure we can arrange this. She is going to be loath to admit to anyone that she can't read. But it can't stay a secret forever. It could be some neat roleplaying if your character did find out, and tried to teach her to read.

TheRedFear

Quote from: Caitlin on August 16, 2012, 03:55:02 AM
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but youtube wasn't around yet 8+ years ago. :-s

My template is modified and updated. I think all the pm requests are implemented, but please let me know if there is something else that requires fixing. :-)

Oh, by the way, can I be either Runner 3 or 6? (I have a preference for 6 actually, but 3 would work too.) ;D

You mean there was such a thing as a time without youtube? Oh the horror...

Edited. :)

Caitlin

Quote from: Lyria on August 16, 2012, 10:33:20 AM
If my character is accepted, I am sure we can arrange this. She is going to be loath to admit to anyone that she can't read. But it can't stay a secret forever. It could be some neat roleplaying if your character did find out, and tried to teach her to read.
That would be really cool yes. ^_^
I'm looking forward to it.

Quote from: TheRedFear on August 16, 2012, 12:24:07 PM
You mean there was such a thing as a time without youtube? Oh the horror...

Edited. :)
Yeah, I know. ;D

They could have still taped it on an old vidcam though!

Praxis

Quote from: Katida desu on August 15, 2012, 07:41:55 PM

Though this is extremely inspired by the App, this is an entirely new story. Your character should have no connection to Abel Township. This time, the setting is Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

On another note, great character so far. I'm pretty much ready to approve you right now, but I'll wait to look over anything else you might want to add. Fair warning, though. I'm extremely familiar with Pittsburgh, especially circa our setting. I'll be using many actual landmarks - Things that a geography teacher should know. I may be sending you a lot of google maps links:)

No worries about the Google map links...you fire away.  :)

With the fact that he's new to the proposed settlement of people...I have nothing new to add so if you want to consider him officially submitted for approval, by all means.  :)

Also...hope you're having a better day Katida.

Eislynn

@TheRedFear
Dominic is approved. You can have him start out in a place fairly close to Brunot called McKees Rocks. We 'burghers colloquially call it 'The Rocks' and it's as down and dirty as it sounds. It has a reputation for being a rough working class neighborhood.

@Lyria
Welcome aboard. I look forward to seeing your finished product.

@Praxis
Jason is approved. He can start out in Dormont. It's a nice family neighborhood close to quite a few schools. We can say he worked at Seton La-Salle High School. It's a prevalent school in the area, but that's a Catholic School so if you're not comfortable with that, you can say he worked for Keystone Oaks High School.

@Caitlin
Caitlin has her choice of two hospitals: UPMC Presbyterian or UPMC Magee Women's Hospital. As for knowing the two college students, that's possible but not likely. They would probably have a sort of Alma Mater solidarity once they met, but PITT is a huge school. However, you are welcome to have her take shelter in the Cathedral of Learning on campus after having stolen away from her prior living arrangements. The two students are also likely starting there. It might feel like a safe and familiar place to her as an alumni.

@Everyone
I'm noticing a lot of Parkour/Free-running. Please feel free to branch out from this trope, and read over other players sheets before finalizing your skills. I know it's a valuable skill in this world we are creating, but I was hoping for a bit of variety as well. Also keep in mind that Parkour is going to use up considerably more energy than plain old running. Those of you who utilize it will be hungry more often, and remember there isn't an incredible amount of food to go around lately. I won't consider it a problem unless it becomes one and I get complaints, but uniqueness and good RP will have their own rewards in this game. I will see to that.

Lyria

Name: Catalina Flores
Sexual Preference: Curious about both sexes, experienced with neither
Occupation (Pre-Apocalypse): None, street rat, petty thief
Personal Hobbies of Note: Origami
Description: 5’2, 125 lbs. Catalina is muscular and well-toned throughout the torso and limbs, with the subtle curves. Her hair is dark and wavy, falling to her waist, and usually wears it in a loose ponytail or a side braid. Her eyes are a very dark brown, almost black, with thick, naturally arched brows framing them.  The shape of her face is heart shaped, with full lips and high set cheekbones. She dresses in what is available, and what she is free to move in, preferring close fit tank tops and baggy cargo pants. There is nothing particularly girly about Catalina, she is a tomboy through and through. She wears no make-up, and her nails are short. Catalina rarely smiles, but when she does her face lights up and dimples appear in her cheeks.

History:
Catalina grew up on the streets with her brother Marcellus. When she was an infant, her brother the age of six, her young teenaged mother brought them from Mexico to America after their father died in a farming accident. Their mother was unable to cope with two small children and the realization that America was not the instant land of wealth she thought it was going to be. She fell into prostitution and drugs to try and numb her own pain and disappointment and resentment of being stuck with two small children and what she perceived to be no future. She was very abusive and neglectful in general, but Marcellus usually managed to steal enough from her to keep Catalina and he fed at least once a day.

Then one storming and thundery night their mother sent Marcellus out after dark, actually giving him a few dollars to run to the gas station a mile away so he could by some canned soup. He knew there had to be a reason she proactively gave him the money she did…but ultimately the rumbling in their stomachs made him leave the roach filled apartment their mother traded her body for each week. He hated leaving his sister behind, but she was too young to take out after dark in the slums. The apartment was frequented by druggies and Johns, but the small room off to the side that Catalina and Marcellus called their bedroom was usually ignored.

Half way to the gas station he felt a tingle on his neck and knew he had to turn around and go back home. He ran as fast as he could, and when he burst into the apartment he saw Mama holding more money than he had ever seen, and more money than his mother’s haggard face could ever bring in.
Bursting into the bedroom he saw a man crouched near where his young sister was screaming and kicking. Their mother had tried to sell Catalina instead of herself, and Marcellus had returned just in time. 

Marcellus, then age twelve, took his six year old sister and fled, but only after beating the man with a chair, and then with a chair leg once the chair shattered. He might only have been twelve, but he was strong and wiry and guided by love for his sister and years of pent up anger.

The experience for Catalina was beyond traumatic. The large looming man, the anger in Marcellus, the blood, the thunder and lightning...it scarred her. To this day she feels panic and fear when a thunderstorm strikes. She does her best to hide it, to fight it, but the knot in the pit of her stomach makes her hands shake and her skin pale.

They lived on the streets as isolated from others as they could manage. Marcellus was suspicious and wary of authorities. Neither of them had been born in America, and he feared the possibility they would be sent back to a country Catalina didn’t remember at all, and that he barely recalled. He was also fearful they would be separated by ‘the system’, and did everything in his power to keep them independent and on their own. That meant no school, no government assistance, and no help from anyone.

The only means of survival became theft.  As Catalina got older, she tried to only pickpocket from those that looked like they could afford to miss a few dollars, and tried to rotate what stores she shoplifted from so they didn’t take too much from one place. She hated stealing, but knew no other way to survive.

They had no real home, and crashed in abandoned buildings, moving every few weeks so no one would take notice. But they had each other, so no matter where they were, for no matter how short of a time, it was home to Catalina.

Since they could not attend school, Marcellus did the best he could to teach Catalina what he knew, learning as much as he could along the way. He was able to teach her basic math skills, which she took too quickly. He kept her fluent in both Spanish and English. She was smart, and picked up ideas quickly. But she never was able to read. No matter how hard they tried, or what books they went through at the library, she just could not get it.  What neither of them knew is that Catalina is dyslexic. She has always been ashamed of her inability to read, and considers it a fault. Marcellus always tried to tell her she wasn’t stupid, but she has always felt that way since she can’t read.

They had no TV, their trips to the library often included watching movies and listening to stories. Despite the fact that she couldn’t read, the library was her favorite place. The librarian never seemed to notice their dirty clothes and bare feet, and gave them juice and cookies.

And it was at the library that she discovered origami.

Living in a concrete jungle, Catalina saw very little beauty. Everything was grey and hard and dirty.  But with Origami she was able to bring to life the scenes in the movies and in the stories at the library. She made her own flowers and animals out of bits of paper here and there. There was always trash around; it was easy to find things to fold. After a while her skill had grown beyond what she could find in the instructional pictures in the books at the library. She made her own patterns, and spent hours perfecting her creations.

Marcellus told her she couldn’t be stupid if she could build a rose out of trash. She almost believed him. But what good was her skill? They couldn’t eat anything she made. They couldn’t sleep in it. They couldn’t hide in it. It was a useless skill, if not one that calmed her racing mind and eased her temper.

Parkour, though she didn’t know the skill had a name, was also a way to calm her mind and ease her temper. Honing her skill was also a means of survival.  Beyond having to sometimes run from the law, or some shop keep, they had to be very wary of gangs and often had to run from them as well. As Catalina matured and grew into a young woman, the threat grew even larger. Constantly they had to avoid attracting attention of any kind.  Marcellus could be killed for not joining a gang, and Catalina raped for just being a female.

Running, parkour, hiding…it wasn’t a hobby or sport for Marcellus and Catalina. It was life. It was survival. For as long as she can remember, Catalina has been running, hiding, scaling buildings, avoiding people, and stealing what she needs to survive. Anyone could run through streets, but it was by using their vertical environment that Marcellus and Catalina had the edge they needed.

It was ironic when the thing that was normal for them…lack of food, lack of shelter, concern for safety, became hardships for the rest of the world. Marcellus almost took a sick sort of satisfaction knowing that all of the middleclass and rich people of America were now having to live almost like he and his sister had been living for a very long time. Catalina never had that satisfaction. She just considered it sad.

Marcellus did the best he could to raise Catalina, but in his desire to protect her he sheltered her from everyone else. She never had other friends, never had a boyfriend, and Marcellus was her world. He was a brother, a parent, and her best friend.

Then he became zombie food; sacrificing himself so she could live. That knowledge haunts her and weighs her down with more grief and guilt than she ever thought imaginable. 

Now Catalina is alone for the first time in her life. She knows how to survive better than most people around her, but had no idea how to befriend any of them.

Runner?: Yes

(I took note of what you said about parkour being mentioned by more than one character, but she was created before your game and it is pretty ingrained into her history and a big part of who she is. If you would prefer me to submit a different character, let me know :) )

Caitlin

Quote from: Katida desu on August 16, 2012, 05:13:18 PM
@Caitlin
Caitlin has her choice of two hospitals: UPMC Presbyterian or UPMC Magee Women's Hospital. As for knowing the two college students, that's possible but not likely. They would probably have a sort of Alma Mater solidarity once they met, but PITT is a huge school. However, you are welcome to have her take shelter in the Cathedral of Learning on campus after having stolen away from her prior living arrangements. The two students are also likely starting there. It might feel like a safe and familiar place to her as an alumni.
I'll fix the hospital she works for. My research turned up that there is also a UMPC Mercy (full list of UMPC's here), which I would really like to make her former workplace. Originally she worked for Mercy hospital, but that info was lost in my edits due to my lack of knowledge about Pittsburgh. Considering she used to work there 14 months ago, her previous employment shouldn't affect her current stance in life and position in the story.

To prevent conflicts with the storyline you have in mind, I have removed all references to Patient Zero. Instead I placed them at a time where the apocalypse was already starting with several aggressive patients and her fiancé was bitten by one of those. Since Mercy has a trauma level 1 centre it would make sense that people go there to get treatment. There also aren't any references added to the other students, or her current whereabouts. I'm guessing that makes more sense to put it in the introduction post. Due to her distrust of people I would prefer to have her start alone, though I'm okay with meeting up with people and travel with them to Brunot Island.

How important is realism to you when it comes to Pittsburgh? I hope you understand that, though I like to do proper research, I won't be able to study an entire city's infrastructure. If realism is extremely important then I'll need details of all the locations that come up in a next post before I start posting, so I can keep it in mind. One way you could do this ICly is by giving us a briefing before each mission, that could be a cool way to prevent some problems. :-)

TheRedFear

You know it's actually not that strange that alot of Parkour practioners would be the type of people who survive a zombie apocalypse if you think about it. Kinda like how you never see a lot of fat people who live long in a zombie apocalypse.

Zombie Rule #1 People: Cardio.

Caitlin

Yup, very true and after 14 months of apocalypse you'd expect only the fittest to be still alive, after all, it's survival of the fittest for a reason. :)

My character lacks the strength in her arms for parkour, but she can run distances for a really long time and run with short bursts when needed.

I doubt we'll see many old and diseased in such an event. Unless they have something special going for them, it's unlikely that they would survive. In another zombie game I had an old priest as well, but he'd die at some point during the story if that game wasn't canceled.

Praxis

I disagree with the whole "only the fit survive" sentiment.

Not that I'm "arguing".  Just throwing a counter-idea out there.

People group together.  That's what they do.  That's one of the strengths of "humanity".  When they "group up", they get shit done.  It's entirely possible that someone out of shape won't survive long in the zombie apocalypse on their own...but in a group? 

"Free runners" and parkour practitioners are really, REALLY handy to have in a role such as the one for this game, but they shouldn't be mistaken for endurance runners.  Those kind of atheletes can have fantastic endurance but they are focused on a number of different disciplines regarding strength, agility and are closer to gymnasts in some respects.

Not that I'm against free runners or "parkour people".  If I was twenty years younger...I'd be doing that stuff non-stop.  ;)

People that are endurance runners focus on one thing.  Good running technique, cardio/endurance and conservation of energy.  So where a parkour practitioner might be super effective in a short-term encounter, a 10K or 20K run might turn out to be a not-so-great situation for them.

There's pros and cons for all builds really.

As for the out of shape folk.  I know the people in my current life.  There's the fits ones and the not-so-fit ones.  The fit ones on average don't have an over-abundance of trade skills.  Whereas I can think of three of the most out of shape people in my life and they would have electrician, plumber and carpentry covered.

I think there's a place for all shapes and sizes in the zombie apocalypse.  ;)

Caitlin

Quote from: Praxis on August 17, 2012, 09:51:01 AM
I disagree with the whole "only the fit survive" sentiment.

Not that I'm "arguing".  Just throwing a counter-idea out there.

People group together.  That's what they do.  That's one of the strengths of "humanity".  When they "group up", they get shit done.  It's entirely possible that someone out of shape won't survive long in the zombie apocalypse on their own...but in a group? 
My argument of survival of the fittest is still valid in that case, because not all groups that band together survive. A lot of them die because they don't have the required skills, or ability to adept to their new situation, to stay alive. It's still survival of the fittest, but in a broader sense of the word. :)

Praxis

Quote from: Caitlin on August 17, 2012, 10:06:25 AM
My argument of survival of the fittest is still valid in that case, because not all groups that band together survive. A lot of them die because they don't have the required skills, or ability to adept to their new situation, to stay alive. It's still survival of the fittest, but in a broader sense of the word. :)

True...I was being too literal with "fittest".  :D

Caitlin

You did have a good point as well though, I should have included that originally. ^_^

Wargtass

This still open? I have a concept for a Z-Apoc I always wanted to try.
O/O

Caitlin

TheRedFear

Indeed, if an out of shape peson survives the Z-Day for any lngth of time it's only because they make up in cunning, resourcefulness, and level-headedness what they lack in physicality. So it's still a form of "Survival of the Fittest"

But how many people out there do you really think have those mental and emotional strengths in sufficient abundance to compensate for a major physical deficiencies like obesity? I know of some "fat" people who are remarkably in shape mind you. My 275 pound uncle could actually outrun me when I was 12 years old and wiry. I imagine Sumo Wrestlers are remarkably more fit than their apearance might indicate too. But those are rare exceptions. most people who are overweight are winded after a short jog.

I suspect most apocalyptic scenarios of av adversarial nature(Surviving zombies or raiders or aliens, etc) would see more physically capable survivors, while environmental apocalypses(extreme weather, electro magnetic pulse, food shortages, etc) might see more intellectual survivors

Eislynn

Quote from: Wargtass on August 17, 2012, 12:38:56 PM
This still open? I have a concept for a Z-Apoc I always wanted to try.
Yes. You'll be the last for now. I'm taking the Players Wanted tag down now.

Accepted players, feel free to move your conversations over to the OOC thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=149060.0
I'd like to keep this thread for character creation only

Also - Accepted Characters List: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=149392.0
Please re-post your accepted characters into that thread.

To anyone that wanders in after this post: Feel free to still express your interest and if we lose players, you'll be on the waiting list. Thanks!

Eislynn

Derp. Double post. I almost forgot something:

Caitlin - I dont know if I ever officially approved your character, but here's your official marque of passage. Approved.

Lyria - Catalina is approved. BEECHVIEW is quickly becoming the Hispanic neighborhood of Pittsburgh, so you're welcome to say she's from there. She might have visited Dormont Public Library. Beechview is also right on the Light Rail that takes you downtown, if you wanted to work any of that info in. Completely optional of course.

On a side note, not entirely pertinent, Pittsburgh's 'concrete jungle' is really only referring to the immediate downtown area. (The golden triangle.) There are a surprising amount of wooded and green areas in and around the city.

@ Everyone - If I missed officially approving anyone, please let me know and I'll get right on it.

Caitlin

Quote from: Katida desu on August 17, 2012, 03:19:11 PM
Caitlin - I dont know if I ever officially approved your character, but here's your official marque of passage. Approved.
Eek! :o

Oi, thank you.

I was under the impression that approval was implied when you asked me to change some details to make the history fit better, but until now no official approval was given no.  :-X

Eislynn

Quote from: Caitlin on August 17, 2012, 03:59:37 PM
Eek! :o

Oi, thank you.

I was under the impression that approval was implied when you asked me to change some details to make the history fit better, but until now no official approval was given no.  :-X

Yeah I intended it as implied too, but I always think it's better to explicitly state it than to keep people guessing.

Lyria

Quote from: Katida desu on August 17, 2012, 03:19:11 PM

Lyria - Catalina is approved. BEECHVIEW is quickly becoming the Hispanic neighborhood of Pittsburgh, so you're welcome to say she's from there. She might have visited Dormont Public Library. Beechview is also right on the Light Rail that takes you downtown, if you wanted to work any of that info in. Completely optional of course.

Is it okay to amend her history and say that she is from somewhere else, but after the death of her brother has found her way to Pittsburgh?