Werewolf: the Apocalypse - Sept of the Shrouded Echo (Galliard needed!)

Started by Datawych, May 22, 2017, 07:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muse

I wound up attaching the name Evan to this character.  Then i remembered Evan Heals the Past, the lost cub who joined King Alberitch's pack.  Should I use a diferent name?   

Background Information: 
   Sally Ghostdancer is a kinfolk sister to one of the caern guardians here.  When she fell in love with a white man with no Garou blood, she persuaded him to move with her to Albuquerque, New Mexico, for fear that her husband would catch sight of one of her family in their alternate forms and be driven away from her by the Delirium. 
   As a kid, Evan was imaginative and spiritual.  He romanticized his mother's culture, trying clumsily to learn about it, and curious why some questions would make his mother clam up. 
   In school, Evan was the subject of a lot of picking for his combination of nerdy intelligence, geeky creativity, and strength.  After all, the biggest nerd in school isn't the nerdiest, it's the tallest, the one the bullies can get the most glory for successfully picking on.  Slow and gentle, Evan was normally entirely too pacifistic for his own good. 
   Those who got to know Evan admired him most for his compassion.  They often went to him for comfort, which he happily provided.  They went to him for advise, which came a little harder, but he tried. 
   When Evan was thirteen—and getting taller—one of the bullies decided to grab his tray in the cafeteria.  Evan had been thinking for a long time whether he was just making life worse for himself by not acting in his own defense.  This time, he didn't think, he launched a punch so powerful the bully slid across the cafeteria floor. 
   Evan took a few deep breaths while people stared at him in shock then went to buy a new lunch. 
   A few other people tried this to get a rise out of him, but that same inner beast rose up each time, and he could back them off with just a look. 
   Evan never raised a fist in his own defense again, but his friends started asking him for help.  After the first time he had to defend his friend Lowel, he started organizing people, both to travel in groups and look out for each other, and to force the teachers and school faculty to stop looking the other way. 
   Summer of his sixteenth year, Evan started having wolf-dreams.  His mother had been expecting it, and arranged for his uncle to take him to Oregon to guide him through his first change. 
   Compared to what lost cubs experience, Evan is deeply grateful that his mother was so on the ball.  He doesn't want to think about who he might have hurt if he'd changed alone.  For a Theurge, his Change was quite violent, and his family had to wrestle him down and hold him there for a good while before he came out of it. 
   In some of his visions quests since, he's had to confront his Beast.  It's feels he's kept it in a cage, and doesn't like this... 
   As a theurge, Evan is still exploring the roll Gaia has chosen for him.  He's extremely excited by all angels of it, healer of body, mind, and land alike, and a force to reconcile matter and spirit as well. 
   At his rite of passage, he expressed to an elder his desire to learn the truth about all the world.  The elder looked up into the sky and commented that birds and bats knew many truths, for they had a perspective men and wolves lacked. 
   He traveled into the Umbra and did a service for a powerful spirit.  In return, the spirit granted him the aid of five falcons. 
   Evan told one falcon to fly to the north and tell him what it saw.  He sent three others to the east, the south, and the west, to help him learn.  The last falcon he looked at with a little confusion.  “Where shall I send you?  Where else can a falcon see that I might learn?  You can't fly into the depths of the earth, or up beyond the atmosphere can you?” 
   The falcon shook his head. 
   After a while, though, Evan smiled and brought the little spirit up to his shoulder.  “Perch on my shoulder, look within me, and tell me what you see.” 

I think that covers most of your questions, albeit in first-draft-narrative form! 

Backgrounds I intend to take: 
Familiar Spirit:  A collection of falcon gafflings who sometimes help him learn, or just scout for him. 
Mentor ?: His uncle. 
Resources 1-2?:  Family support. 

Also looking at Rites and Totem. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Datawych

Quote from: Muse on June 04, 2017, 12:42:12 AM
  I wound up attaching the name Evan to this character.  Then i remembered Evan Heals the Past, the lost cub who joined King Alberitch's pack.  Should I use a diferent name?
Not if you don't want to. Evan's a Wendigo, plus their deed names (if done right :P) should do more than enough to differentiate them.

Also I think you meant caern guardian. There's only a single Warder.

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Triggvi

Datawych

Quote from: Triggvi on June 04, 2017, 01:06:27 AM
do you need more the my character?
A bit of clarification - the first other Garou he encounters are Red Talons, but he doesn't actually go through a rite of passage with them, correct? Meaning he's still a cub when he leaves them for the Get of Fenris?

And something I'm confused about...

P. G. T. Beuregard's grave/memorial is in New Orleans. How exactly would a lupus with no ID/money/ability to drive/knowledge of airports manage to get all the way from Louisiana to Oregon? Or is this after his Rite of Passage with the Get? In which case, what exactly drew him there?

Triggvi

This was another person with that name. Not the one in lousinana. The red talons that found him though the name sounded like dogs name and named that. He kept the name to remind himself to never be lead those that are worthy of being alphas ever again.
The reason the red talons treated him badly was he was a bit of runt when he went through the first change. He changed earlier that most lupus. He continued to mature and get bigger and stronger after he left the red talons.

He was still a cub when walked away from the red talons. He  joined and earned his right of passage with the gets of fenris.

Pumpkin Seeds

Danielle O’Connell will be a member of the Fianna tribe, Philodox and Homid.  She hails from the Boston area but was brought by her father to the west coast after her First Change.  Up until that point Danielle, who goes by Danny, was raised by her mother and their extended family.  The family was pretty large so she didn’t miss much in not having her father in the picture.  At the time her family maintained the story that he was a drunk that walked out on her mother.  The story wasn’t hard to believe and she had no reason to question the legitimacy.

Most of the family was involved in one way or another with the police force.  Patrolmen, detectives, lawyers and so forth all had their place in the arms of law enforcement.  Danny was raised on the tales of stubborn heroism that infected her family members.  Calls to duty, honor and heritage filled her dreams.  There was little surprise when she wore a Disney princess outfit with a police officer’s hat for Halloween.  The trend did not get any better as she grew older.

Late in high school she lost her mother to a local gang.  Looking to make a name for themselves the gang had started to bring in illegal weapons and on a bust of those weapons her mother was shot.  Danny took to the streets almost immediately determined to find the people responsible.  A determination of cold certainty grasped her mind and body as she began to utilize the skills and knowledge her family had given her over the years.  Danny would find the trouble she sought soon after she started.

Looking back now she is amazed at her own stupidity.  Somehow she had done everything without an idea of how things would end.  The steel pipe to the side of her head would likely have been in her end if not for the rage boiling up inside her.  The First Change happened suddenly and event went predictably.  There was simply not enough left of anyone there to identify except for her.  That was also when she was allowed to know the larger secret of her family tree.  They were kinfolk tied to the Fianna tribe.

Danny was picked up by her own family.  She was cleaned up and hidden in the basement of a distant relative outside of the Boston area.  She was kept there for a few days until her true father came to collect her.  The stories she had been told about him were true just as any fairy tale has an element of truth.  He was a heavy drinker but hardly a drunk and he walked out of their family but not by choice.  The man collected her easily and ushered her into a RV.  From there she spent a year learning the ways of her people, taking her Rite of Passage and learning the stories of the Fianna. 

After a year of training her father essentially dropped her off at the West Coast, sending her inside a gas station for some beer and chips before driving off.  Danny found herself alone again or at least until the gas station attendant placed a hand on her shoulder and told her to come with him.

I intend to have her pretty grounded in terms of right and wrong.  She draws both on the tales of police bravery and Fianna heroism to form a morale framework.  She believes in self-reliance and working for the betterment of others.  Laws and rules are meant to help and protect, not to constrain and serve as tools for manipulation. 

Background wise she will have a hefty dose of kinfolk to draw upon.  Probably take some Pureblood from her father’s ancestry along with Contacts for knowing how to work people and gain information since her time being there.

Datawych

6/6/17 Update

So far, the following players' characters are approved

RubySlippers: Bone Gnawer Ahroun
Pumpkin Seeds: Fianna Philodox

Multiple people have expressed interest in Galliard and Theurge, and the only person interested in Ragabash has withdrawn her application.

I still need some personality/background/sept tie-in information from VioletPanda, and Chulanowa hasn't responded to my PM.

RubySlippers

Working on my character, slowly, design is key to a good well rounded Ahroun that is not devoted to killing which can be so damned boring.

Well save at key times when its fun like finding a vampire and playing music with his or her entrails tied to a tree. (Just thinking artistically.)  >:)

nailcrosser

Marking my interest. Considering a Homid Bone Gnawer Philodox.

Datawych

Quote from: nailcrosser on June 06, 2017, 03:24:49 PM
Marking my interest. Considering a Homid Bone Gnawer Philodox.
We've already got an approved Philodox, if that colors what you're considering at all.

RubySlippers

Well I did pick out a picture for my character. And a name Elaine Kettle.

Archery is her main ranged combat skill preferring it over a rifle it requires more patience and skill to hunt and fish with it, but can cbrawl and well in Crinos form that can be pretty scary. And a modern bow is an impressive weapon.

Triggvi

Datawych when put my lupus Gallard get of fenris up there were no other Gallards. That is why I did a Gallard instead of a Ahroun.

I did not want a competition between me a rubyslippers. A Gallard is a new auspice for me to play.

nailcrosser

I think the character concept I'm forming would be better suited as Ragabash, anyway.

Datawych

Quote from: Triggvi on June 06, 2017, 08:47:23 PM
Datawych when put my lupus Gallard get of fenris up there were no other Gallards. That is why I did a Gallard instead of a Ahroun.

I did not want a competition between me a rubyslippers. A Gallard is a new auspice for me to play.

Simply picking an auspice that no one else is playing is no guarantee of having your character accepted. Also, Galliards aren't just Ahroun-lite, so if that's the only reason you chose that auspice...

Triggvi

I choose it because it was a different that what I have played before.  I wanted a challenge to roleplay and I wanted something other than a generic werewolf character. Homid is too generic for me.

I never implied that Gallard was Ahroun lite.

It is up to you if you accept the character or not the choice is yours.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Datawych on June 06, 2017, 10:08:24 PM
Simply picking an auspice that no one else is playing is no guarantee of having your character accepted. Also, Galliards aren't just Ahroun-lite, so if that's the only reason you chose that auspice...

In his defense my character is not a stereotype either, he might and likely will have his own take and character style with his. Just because my character is an artist and makes a living in a craft doesn't mean she can't fight she just tries to avoid fighting without a reason.  :-)

So he will do something fun and interesting I'm sure.

Triggvi

Rubyslippers, I like you and did what to mess with with your character choice and at the time there were a few Ahroun at the time as well.

Datawych

Quote from: Triggvi on June 06, 2017, 10:20:44 PM
I choose it because it was a different that what I have played before.  I wanted a challenge to roleplay and I wanted something other than a generic werewolf character. Homid is too generic for me.

It is up to you if you accept the character or not the choice is yours.
I'm not seeing a unified character amongst what you've given me, to be honest.

Did he frenzy when he attacked the human hunters? It doesn't sound like it happened during his First Change. Why wasn't he punished for violating the Litany so flagrantly? The Veil shall not be lifted. How does the hunter remember what happened? How much Willpower does he have, exactly?

Why is YC named after who he's named after if he wasn't found on that P. G. T. Beauregard's grave, and just some other person who happened to be named the exact same thing? I gave you the opportunity to build some backstory within the Get of Fenris, with YC owing favors to/forming friendships with the members of the tribe who helped him get to Oregon.

Why would Red Talons ever name a lupus after a human?

What's tying him to the setting?

It's a little all over the place. Lupus are hard to play well, as I noted in the opening post, and I'm not convinced.

RubySlippers

A lupus Gnawer is oddly easiest they are basically scruffy looking big dogs and tend to be raised around humans more say towns and small rural to rustic communities so know a bit more about the world, even if rarest of the tribe, but you would know what a car is other than the metal and glass Weaver thing that moves with man creatures inside. If you change to that it would make a lot more sense since well a lupus form homid  breed could mate with a wolf (doggy) one and make babies. Lets not dwell as to why for that.  :D

And if from a local Bone Gnawer community would have local ties.

Datawych

Quote from: RubySlippers on June 06, 2017, 10:56:35 PM
A lupus Gnawer is oddly easiest they are basically scruffy looking big dogs and tend to be raised around humans more say towns and small rural to rustic communities so know a bit more about the world, even if rarest of the tribe, but you would know what a car is other than the metal and glass Weaver thing that moves with man creatures inside. If you change to that it would make a lot more sense since well a lupus form homid  breed could mate with a wolf (doggy) one and make babies. Lets not dwell as to why for that.  :D

And if from a local Bone Gnawer community would have local ties.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be Bone Gnawer, since there are plenty of kinfolk wolves around. The Sept is right in the middle of grey wolf territory. A territory where they're plentiful enough to not be federally protected.

Triggvi

You seem obsessed with the unimportant parts of a rough character concept.

I am not about to argue with a gm over the small stuff. I told you I was willing work with you adapting the character if you want him in the game.

Datawych

Quote from: Triggvi on June 06, 2017, 10:59:32 PM
You seem obsessed with the unimportant parts of a rough character concept.

I just tossed you like a half-dozen prompts that would help you expand the concept (and set you up for roleplaying opportunities down the road) and that's your response?

A MAJOR litany violation is not an unimportant part of a character concept.

And could your tone be any more condescending? Please get out of my thread.

RubySlippers

He is right the rules for character creation are clear he prefer homids anything else needs to be well constructed as a concept and work well in the setting if a lupus which is playable as an option, if you can't work within that then this isn't perhaps a game for you.

Triggvi

You are right. This is not the game for me. My rough cut concept is just that. It can change and adapt.