Pokemon X/Y just announced (i'm not kidding, it's really called Pokemon X/Y)

Started by HybridHalf, January 08, 2013, 05:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kunoichi

Quote from: Chris Brady on October 12, 2013, 09:51:21 PM
Yes please!

Changingsaint already said pretty much everything relevant about the early part of the game. ^^; I will say that all the various different types of Pokemon available early on make it really interesting to pick out your team, though.  Even if you just went for a monotype run like I'm (for some reason) doing, you can easily wind up with half of the slots on your roster filled before hitting the first gym...

SinXAzgard21

I'm loving Y so much. I have Chespin but I really want to use Skiddo... Damn it I can't have two grass types.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Kunoichi

Sure you can. ;D

And now that I'm on Route 4 and have the Exp Share, I have to admit, I'm really loving the new mechanics for it. ^^

Also, the event Torchic is amaaaaaazing. ^^

SinXAzgard21

No I can't, it bugs me to have same types in my party.  Torchic evolved already.  I'm on route 5 with Quilladin, pikachu, pidgey, combusken, squirtle and skiddo, who I am replacing soon.

Wolfy

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on October 13, 2013, 02:16:26 AM
No I can't, it bugs me to have same types in my party.  Torchic evolved already.  I'm on route 5 with Quilladin, pikachu, pidgey, combusken, squirtle and skiddo, who I am replacing soon.

Pssssssh, boy....

I've got Greninja, Blaziken(With Blazikenite), Venasaur(With Venasaurite), Lucario(with Lucariorite), Doublade, and Aerodactyl on my team....though Aero is mostly an HM pokemon. >.>

Shouron

I never have my team made until near end game or post game. I beat the game with a 4-pokemon team with two HM slaves as my last two slots. >_> I make things sooo hard on myself.
When you look at yourself in the mirror, who is it that stares back at you?

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Wolfy on October 13, 2013, 06:30:45 AM
Pssssssh, boy....

I've got Greninja, Blaziken(With Blazikenite), Venasaur(With Venasaurite), Lucario(with Lucariorite), Doublade, and Aerodactyl on my team....though Aero is mostly an HM pokemon. >.>

I'm planning on breeding, training and competing so yeah.  My current teams means pretty much squat to me.

GanonDwarf

I'm loving it so far. But I really don't focus on types...my team in Pokemon Black, was mostly dark types.
My ons/offs Updated:Feb.14, 2020
AbsencesUpdated:Feb 5th, 2019
Fandom Request Thread!

yugi006

Koren

I love this game. They definitely redeemed themselves after Black/White and their sequels.
Ill do a mini review below for people looking for a more indepth look at it

My current team for those wondering : Event Blaziken, Charizard, Delphox (Fennekins 3rd evolution), Doublade and Dragagle
For some reason I decided to go with a very fire heavy team, I was originally going to have Talonflame on it as well but didnt want two fire/flying types (charizard being the other)

To start off with the good:

They managed to address a lot of the concerns that I had about the 3D aspect of the game but making it very detailed. The animations work well and most moves look absolutely fantastic, especially when battling with 3d turned on. A lot of the nice things are just small details they put in for the sake of it. You can sit down on seats and while sitting you can turn to look beside you. When you talk to a child the character leans down to talk to her, or when talking to a taller person, the character looks up quite a bit.

The world has an amazing amount of life and detail. NPC's walk in and out of shops randomly, they talk to each other, hide around corners and you can even encounter the same ones over and over again in different areas and they will remember you and what happened in your previous battle.
The towns also have an amazing style to them. The town where the fairy gym is really gives a feeling of being absorbed into nature, and the city is massive and often confusing (i get lost in it a lot) just like a real city. They also have clearly thought A LOT about where their special areas go and the locations actually make sense.

The new pokemon are brillantly designed. Clearly they looked carefully at the negative feedback they got from fifth generation, and there is no more horrible looking pokemon, or pokemon that just look like pieces thrown together. Skelp ( the seahorse pokemon in Y ) is one of my favorites.
And to compliment this the new pokemon have a great type match up that really helps to compliment the fighting. I find myself actually think about the game for the first time in a long time, and pokemon like Doublade, a Ghost/Steel with a large type coverage for a move set (ive had a dark, ghost, steel, flying, fighting and normal type move on mine) give a real sense of anticipation to the fighting wondering what moves your oppodent will pull out on you.

Mechanically they managed to fix a lot of problems.
The new super training allows for EV's to be much more easily balenced and raised, which saves the old and tedious way of doing it of tracking it on paper and going around battling the same Pokemon over and over again, and using Lum berries to fix any mistakes. The mini games for it, and the ones for Pokemon Amie, are very well thought out and designed, although one problem is they are really only for right handed people.
While you still get a bike, the new rollerskates make it mostly redundant and they are very easy to move around in, although they cant go into grass.
Sky battles also add in a lot of difference and intensity to the game, where I am normally fighting with only my charizard being compatable and its a real test of his strength.

Mega evolutions are brillant, if perhaps a bit over powered, but this is balenced by the fact that you can only mega evolve once in battle from what i can tell, so if you mega evolve and that pokemon faints, you better be able to have other pokemon capable of beating them without mega evolution.

Exp Share now gives Exp to all the pokemon in you party which is a great way to do it as it cuts down on training time by about three so you are able to spend more time playing and less time grinding.

Something so tiny but so great: When you surf on Lapras, it actually appears as a Lapras, with you on its back looking over its neck, in the overworld.

Vivillion. While the pokemon itself is nothing special, although its design and the design of its preevolutions are great (and Scatterbug has a great name) the brillant thing is that this pokemon gets a different design on its wings depending on the location you set on your 3ds.

The NPC's that work as the characters friends. I love them. there is four in total and they actually work together to give a real sort of life to the world. One is your main rival, one just wants to dance and find the best pokemon to dance with, one seems... well she kinda does absolutely nothing, and the other is just trying to complete is pokedex, and he works as your pokedex rival to see which of you has seen the most pokemon. It is just a nice touch to see they portray the idea that in this world not EVERYONE wants to be a master, and that you are not the only kid out there with a job from a professor.

Some of the bad :

Fairy type. Personally I think while it was good to have it in to not only balance dragon, which i think is now underpowered, its only weakness are poison and steel. While this is good as it gives these types some more use, they have not rebalanced the existing types enough to compensate for this. Poison is a good type to use against fairy but this is its only real use, as grass has a lot of other better weaknesses, and therefore it feels like i have useless moves taking up my team members attack slots. It also has screwed with the balence wheel of Dark/Ghost/Psychic as far as strengths as Fairy now fits into it.

Training areas and the wild pokemon seem to jump around in level a lot. Later on in the game you get past an area where the wild pokemon sit around level 25 and then in the next route they jump up to 32+. The wild pokemon seem to be a little unbalenced in this respect as I found they jump around a lot and it makes it hard to find a decent spot for training.

One minor complaint about the new mechanics for the Exp Share is that if I have certain pokemon I DON'T want to level, I either have to take them out of my party, or I have to turn the Exp Share off completely and no one else gets experiance either. This makes it difficult if you are going through a new area and just want to train your weaker pokemon, but want to keep one of your stronger ones on you just in case. Its great when all your pokemon are balenced out and you can train them at once, but when training a new pokemon to come into my party, it can be a problem.

Difficulty. Personally I am finding this REALLY easy. Every gym so far I have one hit all its pokemon with a single pokemon of my own. I havent done any on the side training, or grinding, it has only been with the levels I got while normally battling trainers and dispensing wild pokemon that got in my way but I am still 10+ levels above every story battle I run into (Gyms, Rival, Team Flare). Its a bit of a downer personally as I feel like I'm breezing through it just a tad too easily.

Small aesthetic complaint. The trainers they appear are 3d in the world, but when you enter a battle they only have a 2d art representation, even the gym leaders, and its a bit off putting to have that sort of disconnect between the aesthetics. Its something you get over quickly, but personally the fact they havent even given it to the gym leaders is frustrating. There are some exceptions such as Team Flare had full 3d models, but I find this more confusing as the hikers for example which also all look the same dont.

Secondary small aesthetic complaint. The animations are amazing, so amazing in fact that when moves or pokemon have bad animations it sticks out HORRIBLY. I actually have avoided using my blaziken a couple of times because its attack animation for a couple of things just has it bounce, and it just makes me cringe a little when my doublade for example has about three different attack animations that all look superb. Surf is another animaion I hate, because while its big and impressive, I can see the stretched and tiled texture and as a game designer I know how easily they could have fixed it. Its another thing you get over quick but the first few times it happens, and when you find new moves and pokemon it happens with, it stands out a lot.

And last but not least, something thats neither here nor there but worth commenting on
The lack of new pokemon.
Previously each Dex, region and generation had introduced at least 100 new pokemon to fight with. This one sits around 70 and it is very noticeable, especially early on in the game when you are running into more pokemon from previous generations then you do the current one, and a lot of the new pokemon arent even accessable till about a third of the way through the game.
While I see this as a negitive I definitely prefer it to the previous gen where they threw in a tonne of new pokemon most of which where horribly designed or thought out, and I understand it due to the amazing amount of work they had to put into this game already getting all the existing pokemon into 3d etc.

And something funny to note

Pokemon 666 is a butterfly. XD

SinXAzgard21

Mewtwo Y's Sp. Attack is out of control. 

Koren, I agree with everything you've said.  Though I'd like to know why you'd have pokemon you're not trying to level in your party?

Koren

I havent got Mewtwo yet, but definitly looking forward too. I also really need to find a sixth pokemon for my party. At the moment the legendary ( I'm playing Y ) is in it but I dont really have a need for a Dark/Flying type right now. I kinda want a Joltik or something actually.

Another good is the story. My god that story is great and just kicks you with the feels. Loving the origins behind Kalos and stuff

As for the Exp Share
I was training up my Skerlp so it could replace my Azumaril as my water type in my party, and Skerlp was at level 14 ish and my party was at level 35 ish, with one at level 22ish, so i wanted to train those two without training the others so that I could get them all at the same level, and not have this massive level gap, and Its just frustrating that I litterally had to remove the other four from my party to do that, which also left me with no fire types and no real way to deal with pokemon of half of the types. A few times I ran into pokemon I just had to run from because I didnt have the moves to deal with it, where as previously id just pull out one of the others to handle it, but i didnt have anything else because they were all hiding in my box.
Sure I could have left them in my party and trained them too, but that would have meant they would be even more powered compared to the rest of the game, and I really didnt want that. As it was I had trouble not one hitting the legendary with any move, and as I said, I have done NO grinding or even extra training, and I have avoided a lot of battles.

Third gen games, Ruby and Sapphire, had rather weak pokemon with weak movesets and a story that was with pokemon that were way stronger then yours you were always trying to grind to catch up, sixth gen seems to have taken it in the opposite direction

Suiko

I'm taking my time with it. Still trying to find a female Pikachu in the bloody forest ><

I haven't been playing long obviously but I'm having fun.

Also would it be considered person information to share friend codes? Might be nice?
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

- Current Status: A bit blue, please bare with me -

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Khoraz on October 15, 2013, 12:46:24 PM
I'm taking my time with it. Still trying to find a female Pikachu in the bloody forest ><

I haven't been playing long obviously but I'm having fun.

Also would it be considered person information to share friend codes? Might be nice?

I have a female pikachu, I can breed and try to get you one if you'd like.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Koren on October 15, 2013, 12:40:55 PM
As for the Exp Share
I was training up my Skerlp so it could replace my Azumaril as my water type in my party, and Skerlp was at level 14 ish and my party was at level 35 ish, with one at level 22ish, so i wanted to train those two without training the others so that I could get them all at the same level, and not have this massive level gap, and Its just frustrating that I litterally had to remove the other four from my party to do that, which also left me with no fire types and no real way to deal with pokemon of half of the types. A few times I ran into pokemon I just had to run from because I didnt have the moves to deal with it, where as previously id just pull out one of the others to handle it, but i didnt have anything else because they were all hiding in my box.
Sure I could have left them in my party and trained them too, but that would have meant they would be even more powered compared to the rest of the game, and I really didnt want that. As it was I had trouble not one hitting the legendary with any move, and as I said, I have done NO grinding or even extra training, and I have avoided a lot of battles.

I used to be like that with my pokemon.  I didn't like huge gaps in levels as it would just make me use the stronger ones over the weaker ones.  All my pokemon are currently with in six levels of one another and I just beat the grass gym...  I'm around level 44 on my strongest pokemon.

Aiden

I have not played a pokemon game this long since back in the day.

Koren

It probably is, but Id ask a staff member just in case they would allow it.

Good luck with that Pikachu hunt

And on that note, I simultaneously LOVED and thought it was cheap that that forest is the EXACT same layout to Viridian Forest in Kanto. I loved the call back to the old gen, but man it screwed with my head for a moment. XD

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on October 15, 2013, 12:51:56 PM
I used to be like that with my pokemon.  I didn't like huge gaps in levels as it would just make me use the stronger ones over the weaker ones.  All my pokemon are currently with in six levels of one another and I just beat the grass gym...  I'm around level 44 on my strongest pokemon.

All of my pokemon are now about level 60. Im past the main story and at the sixth gym, and havent really had a good challenge yet. Hopefully if they release a Z version, they will fix that, which Im hoping as they did the same sort of fix with Emerald after Ruby/Sapphire.

SinXAzgard21

I don't think there will be a Z version.  Black and White started the part 2 games.  I see X2 and Y2 being more likely.

Suiko

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on October 15, 2013, 12:48:05 PM
I have a female pikachu, I can breed and try to get you one if you'd like.
Ahh its okay, I have nothing to offer in return ^^;
Besides its all levelling as I keep trying to find one of the little buggers.
Seriously why are they so rare!?
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Khoraz on October 15, 2013, 01:03:22 PM

50% chance when encountering it for it to be female.

Koren

Quote from: Khoraz on October 15, 2013, 01:03:22 PM

I that was the first pokemon I found in the forest, which was the first hint it was Viridian take 2  :-[ hahaha

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on October 15, 2013, 01:02:02 PM
I don't think there will be a Z version.  Black and White started the part 2 games.  I see X2 and Y2 being more likely.

Oh I seriously bloody hope not. I hated the fact that they did that, partly why I was so against that whole generation, and with the Z legendary, cant remember its name, its right there for them to make version 3 instead.

Also I think part of the reason for B2 and W2 was as a filler while making X and Y, because it was such a big move for everything, and it was easy for them just to replicate it with a new plot etc.

Suiko

I've been in there for about two hours and zero pikachus ><

I am not impressed.

Also I knew there would be a Z legendary, haha.
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

Oniya

You can trade that sort of thing in PMs - just not out here where the general public can see without even logging in.  ^^
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Suiko

Quote from: Oniya on October 15, 2013, 01:11:10 PM
You can trade that sort of thing in PMs - just not out here where the general public can see without even logging in.  ^^
Thanks Onion ^^
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Koren on October 15, 2013, 01:06:33 PM
I that was the first pokemon I found in the forest, which was the first hint it was Viridian take 2  :-[ hahaha

Oh I seriously bloody hope not. I hated the fact that they did that, partly why I was so against that whole generation, and with the Z legendary, cant remember its name, its right there for them to make version 3 instead.

Also I think part of the reason for B2 and W2 was as a filler while making X and Y, because it was such a big move for everything, and it was easy for them just to replicate it with a new plot etc.

But since you can catch the Z pokemon in game right now, it would make no sense to make a Z game.