Pokemon X/Y just announced (i'm not kidding, it's really called Pokemon X/Y)

Started by HybridHalf, January 08, 2013, 05:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

I was so bummed out when Black and White contained absolutely no Pokemon from the previous generations, that totally killed it for me. Whatever happened to including new evolutions/pre-evolutions for older species? That may have been a 'new' idea but honestly, they're double-dipping too damn much. Tepig, one of the starters, clinched it for me. There are already several pig-looking Pokemon, so that was just going too far. It would have been justified if they just included evolutions of previous ones so you'd expect them to look different, but no...makes me wish the company actually gave a damn about quality control.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

ShadowFox89

Sooo.... Anyone interested in playing Pokemon Tabletop Adventures? I'd probably set it in Kanto before Team Rocket's disbanding with max players of 3-4, preferring a mix of 2:1 for genders (2 of one gender 1 of the other).
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Vorian

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on August 10, 2013, 12:18:23 AM
Sooo.... Anyone interested in playing Pokemon Tabletop Adventures? I'd probably set it in Kanto before Team Rocket's disbanding with max players of 3-4, preferring a mix of 2:1 for genders (2 of one gender 1 of the other).

Too busy for it now, but I'd be interested if some time clears up.
Ons/Offs - Updated 10/8/14 to reflect my switch to Liege and attempt a bit more clarity.
Ideas
Absences - Updated 3/26/15

Arohk

Can I just say.

I was really excited about this generation until things started to get out of hand. I was liking the designs of the new Pokemon for the most part, which hasn't happened in a long time. I liked some of the concepts and where it was headed.

And then all of a sudden.

All this 'Mega Evolution' crap and a whole bunch of other odd mechanics; especially the addition of the 'Fairy' type really irks me. I wouldn't even have a problem with the Fairy type if it weren't for the fact that they were going back to change a whole bunch of old Pokemon's types. I feel kinda silly for getting my butthurt on over Pokemon, but I guess it's just because I've been a big fan since the beginning. It's not that I have outgrown it either. I have found something to enjoy in each generation. Even when I hated literally 95% of the Pokemon designs of the last generation. I found the mechanics were refined and reworked awesomely.

I guess I can't judge too harshly until I play it for myself. But as it is now, I'm just about ready to throw in the towel. The Mega Evolutions really did it for me. Specifically the breaking of the mold with Blaziken. Anyone else feel the same out there? Or disagree. I don't judge people who disagree, of course. I just think they are making some really poor choices both in mechanics and in design.

It's really too bad. I was looking forward to a better generation this time around; but that's been crushed into the ground. XD

Kunoichi

I'm fine with the addition of the Fairy type and them going back and adding it to old Pokemon, but Mega Evolutions...  Yeah, no thanks. >>; That feels too much like a generic shonen manga power-up for me to be able to take it seriously.  Hopefully they'll make it exclusive to the region this game is set in and then ditch it for future games...

Koren

I hate the fairy type because of what it does. yes I know dragons usually have super high stats and can be very super powerful especially in professional competition, but for the average player they are balenced. Weak against ice and their own type, which is also their only strength, and also super hard to train, they dont have the advantage enough for that.
I'm fine with them relabeling pokemon with the type, and even moves if they do as they did that with the addition of Steel and Dark in Gen 2 which is my favorite gen, but I do question what pokemon they are picking
I mean for heavens sake, Mawille? Thats not a damn fairy!

I am fine with Mega Evolutions though. to me its kinda a replacement to battle items. I never use battle items, and as such In battles im generally at a disadvantage. As this is in a battle only evolution, I see it as kinda a different way to do battle items as I enjoy that. I also enjoy that its a way to put in different forms without them being useless, aesthetic or just frustrating to obtain
It also kinda is like focus energy and those other in battle stat boosts just in a more powerful way.
I get everyone is likely to feel very uniquely about this though.

I am pissed about them messing with Blaziken though. I mean no, I'm sorry but starters are a no go. Don't mess with them. They have a type and a format and should stay to that, messing with them just sucks in my eyes.

Also I dont know how many people saw this but thought id share it anyway
http://au.ign.com/videos/2013/07/15/pokemon-generations-commentary

This is why I'm pissed they are moving to 3d. There is NOTHING wrong with 3d sprite work. I LOVE sprites, and its a dying art which makes me so sad. Id rather them keep that alive, and make the above sort of game with full 3d, distinguish that way, then go 3d like they have and do it for only aesthetic purposes. Also I have this fear it will greatly slow down the game with new animations and details etc. In fact i ususally turn off battle animations as it makes it faster, and I have a distinct feeling that wont be an option here.

SinXAzgard21

I'm still getting the game and I'm enjoying the new changes, additions and so on.  I really don't see what the real big issue with what they are adding is.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on August 13, 2013, 04:46:00 PM
Some people are purists and will hate any change happening.

Yup, sorta like certain religious groups.

ShadowFox89

You mean pokemon isn't a religion? O_O

PIKACHU! WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME!
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Vorian

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on August 13, 2013, 04:43:29 PM
I'm still getting the game and I'm enjoying the new changes, additions and so on.  I really don't see what the real big issue with what they are adding is.

For me the issue is the cost of a new system, and the trend in the way legendaries have been been handled - more and more you have to go outside the games themselves to get them. Not completely sure I won't be getting it, but I'm not sure it's worth the money right now.
Ons/Offs - Updated 10/8/14 to reflect my switch to Liege and attempt a bit more clarity.
Ideas
Absences - Updated 3/26/15

Arohk

Well-said to the 100th degree, Koren. I definitely had a problem with the Sprite thing too. It's something I'm willing to accept, but it still bums me out a bit.

While some people are purists, I'd say calling people who have a problem with some of the changes as such is a bit unfair. I'm certainly not a purist. Not that you said that anyhow, mind you. I happen to like change when it comes to Pokemon. But there are directions I'd just rather not see it go. Just like with any type of media. This generation happens to be taking a few of those for me. It's not enough for me to throw my hands up and declare that I'm not willing to give it a chance; but it certainly makes me groan and growl and complain.

Koren

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on August 13, 2013, 04:46:00 PM
Some people are purists and will hate any change happening.

Im sorry but I actually find this incredibly offensive.

Especially with this comment....

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on August 13, 2013, 04:51:46 PM
Yup, sorta like certain religious groups.

Following the above statement. Im amazed that someone would make that sort of connection to something that has caused such damage to society when we are discussing our mere backed up opinions on a game. That sort of assossiation has such horrible connections with it.

I have good and legitimate reasons for my displeasure with many of the new features, as expressed here a lot of the time, and I am most certainly NOT against change, being a game developer I would be screwing myself over if I were, but I am against change for the sake of it and change for weak reasons.
Call of Duty for example, I don't like because while they don't change anything, they even go so far to just reuse entire parts of their code and database to remake the game. Pokemon is always adding new things, and if nothing else, adding new pokemon. I appreciate the effort to change, but its their method and form of changing and reasons for it that I don't appreciate as its a cheap was of doing it, especially with pokemon designs.
And if you look at my posts I accept a lot of the changes, but I will say I don't like the ones that I dont understand the reasons for, or dont think are needed from my 15 years of playing pokemon.

SinXAzgard21

I don't feel that the comment were directed at you.  There is a huge thing in the gaming community concerning very nostalgic gamers and I think that is where we were going with it. 

Flosculus

I personally approve the addition of the fairy type. It's an interesting type and it's nice to see that they're trying to balance the pokemons.
Also I don't believe that this ruins those old pokemons to which they'll add the fairy type, quite the opposite, I think that this makes them even more different from each other, it may bring many who thought of them as the usual standard pokemons to overlook to actually reconsider using them.

As for the mega evolutions, I agree with what you all have said. Even if we don't know too much about them, I can't see how they could enrich the game. If they want them to be balanced, they will have to make a mega evolution for as many pokemons as they can, and this would mean A LOT of work, which could turn out to be a burden to deal with even for future generations of pokemons.
Overall I think that adding another mechanic to consider when building a pokemon will most likely complicate things and make it even more irritating for high level players, as there are already many factors that make Pokemon complicated enough, like EVs, IVs and Natures.
I would have preferred if they focused on polishing the old mechanics in order to harmonize the base principles on which the game is based, because adding other weight to the building could make it more unstable.

Koren

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on August 14, 2013, 06:17:52 PM
I don't feel that the comment were directed at you.  There is a huge thing in the gaming community concerning very nostalgic gamers and I think that is where we were going with it.

Even if it wasnt directly meant towards me and the others in this thread, we were discussing our dislike for certain changes, and someone asked what the problem was and those comments followed so the implication was that it was about what we were saying, which is what I take offence too

Kunoichi

Tsenta

Sadly I won't have the monies to get a 3DS or 2DS and X/Y by the end of the Torchic event...meaning I'mma miss out on Mega Blaziken as the item that comes with Torchic isn't obtainable in-game. X_x
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Chris Brady

I want a 2DS and one of the two Pokemon games.  The reviews have been positive and there's enough changed to make it worth it.

Sadly, I'd brokered.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Kunoichi

Makes me glad I had the money on-hand to get a 3DS a while ago when my old regular DS finally broke. ^^; With the game being on the Nintendo E-shop, I don't even have to go out to the store to get a copy.

Should I give reports of what I run into as I play the game, for anyone who's curious, or...?

Chris Brady

My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Tise

Quote from: Oniya on January 08, 2013, 10:32:12 AM
It sounded to me like 'Crap!  We've run out of colors!'  ;D

No they haven't used purple, turquoise, orange, gray, violet, tan, brown, pink, teal, indigo and lilac. As for gems they can use aquamarine or just aqua, peridot, topaz, garnet and zircon.

Not All Who Wonder Are Lost

Oniya

Quote from: Tise on October 12, 2013, 09:52:11 PM
No they haven't used purple, turquoise, orange, gray, violet, tan, brown, pink, teal, indigo and lilac. As for gems they can use aquamarine or just aqua, peridot, topaz, garnet and zircon.

Too true, too true - as a fiber-artist, I could give them a laundry list of over 300 (I think the DMC catalog is something like 390 colors, anyways.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Revelation

I've been playing it for about 7 hours since I picked it up via eshop last night. been loving it! The game this time throws at you a solid collection of pokemon at the start, instead of having to wait about a third of the game before you stop seeing the generic and common mons. The introduction is sped up quite a bit too, you can start catching pokemon and beginning the plot in the first 10 minutes, honestly. And between the reworked XP share (Its a toggle item that means when its on, 100% of the XP goes to the pokemon active in battle, with each other pokemon getting 50% of the XP), and trainable IV's instead of grinding them, its a piece of cake to level this time around. The online functions are also pretty cool!

Tise

<snip> Discussing how to get newly released games for free is against the rules of the site.  - Staff
Not All Who Wonder Are Lost