News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Damnit, Hemingway! Your new avatar is too awesome!

Playing Dragon's Dogma. I still like it.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Sabby

Moraline

Hemingway

Then this should be right up your alley, Sabby.

Sabby

Nah, the other one was better. Just needed penis.

Hemingway

Maybe if I had Photoshop skills ... damn you, lack of artistic talent!

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on June 20, 2012, 05:05:43 PM
Maybe if I had Photoshop skills ... damn you, lack of artistic talent!
As much as I like Howard, Conan, and who I consider the best artist of the twentieth century... I kind of like the one with the amazons with the big butts having a splash fight. I wonder why?  ::)

Anywho, I should be getting Kingdoms of Amalur and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 in my rentals today. I want to decide for my self, and I'm still on an Avengers kick respectively.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Yay! An Okami re-release! Now I can sit on my couch for hours spammed the X button to advance the ear raping cutscenes... in HIGH DEFINITION!

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on June 21, 2012, 10:08:07 AM
Yay! An Okami re-release! Now I can sit on my couch for hours spammed the X button to advance the ear raping cutscenes... in HIGH DEFINITION!
At least the art style is visual heroin at time. Smoke two joints and enjoy. :D

Sabby

Yeah, the art style is about the only thing in that game I can like.

Geeklet

Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013

Originally told myself I wasn't gonna get it, since my interest in this version of MTG was dying out at the end of 2012... but.... Planechase. Its got a Free-for-all mode with a Planechase deck. Utter chaos and hilarity at its FINEST. Example: We are on Orzhova (When you planeswalk away, return all creatures in graveyards to the battlefield under their owners control), only to then hit Planewide Disaster (destroy all creatures). The mode is full of lots of big, swingy plays from everybody, and the chaos makes everything more fun.

Hemingway

I got my Amazon to Act V, and ... I'm considerably underleveled, so I should grind a few levels ... but I don't feel like it, so I figured I'd give finishing Diablo 3 a shot. The difference between the two games is even more jarring when going back. Running in D3 is so slow. And the same is true of gameplay in general. Man! It's hilarious!

Edit: What a shocking twist ending! What a work of art! And what a beautifully written speech in the end.

That was sarcasm, friends!

I didn't expect anything else, but the utter blandness of Diablo 3's story still amazes me. It's one of those rare games that would actually have been better if it focused less on trying to tell a story. I think I understand now how the people who complain about modern shooters feel. Every five minutes you have a stop and watch a dull cutscene, before you're allowed to kill a few enemies. And it's always a few enemies. Never the hordes you get in D2. They're not even that much tougher than the enemies in D2. And the bosses? The easiest end boss in Diablo 2 ( Andariel, at least on normal ) is more difficult than the most difficult boss in Diablo 3 ( uhhh ... it's hard to say which one that is, because I can say, without being facetious, that they're all trivially easy ).
ยจ
Edit 2: I won't have it said that I'm being unfair, so I will say this about Diablo 3: Nightmare difficulty is way better than normal. The reason is very simple. You face a larger number of tougher enemies. It's still not quite as it should be - the game simply doesn't lend itself to the Diablo 2 pace of gameplay. But it's better. We'll see if I bother playing through to Hell.

Bayushi

Wait til you get to Inferno, Hemingway. Then you'll hate the game for the exact opposite reasons.

Well, hate it for that and because Blizzard is pretty much forcing everyone to use the RMAH to buy gold. Given that they patched the game not too long ago with some absurd changes: You often collect far far FAR less gold in normal gameplay (without even dying) than the costs of your repairs will be.

That's mostly in Inferno, though I died once yesterday in Nightmare on my Wizard, and had a 10,000 gold repair waiting for me. There's a sudden obsession at throwing elite mob packs at you now, with three-to-five modifiers. My Wizard died after running into 8 wasps (Act III) that were Nightmarish, Plagued, Mortar, Arcane and Enchanted. There's no way in hell you can survive that solo (with or without a companion).

Hemingway

I had enough trouble with a pack of ... the large guys you meet quite early in Act I - unburied corpses or something like that, which were ... Vampiric and reflected damage.

But actually, I already dislike the elite mobs. The only good thing about them is the loot. What I really like is fighting large groups of normal enemies. I think 40 or so is the most I've encountered at once. That's the problem. You meet smaller groups of stronger enemies, and ... you sort of notice how weird the decision to make health globules drop and give pots a significant CD is. I've been playing D2 for the past few days, and having quick access to your potions with no CD doesn't make you invincible. You can only carry so many ( your inventory space being far more limited than in D3 ) and they don't heal you instantly. But they do allow you to stay in the fight. In D3, if you get cornered by a strong enemy and you've used your potion, you have no choice but to kite them around while waiting for the CD. That's ... just plain bad design.

The gold thing is another thing that ties in with the loot thing I complained about earlier. It really is true that a lot of the game is built around the auction house. It's evident in the fact that you don't really earn gold from vendoring items, and the cost of a single potion being, well, as significant as it is. Instead of going out and killing enemies for good loot ( and occasionally gambling ), you go out to kill monsters for regular loot which you use to make your own crafted gear. That makes no sense.

Unless, of course, as a cynical person might suspect, Diablo 3 is nothing but Blizzard's pyramid scheme, based around the idea of getting people to use the RMAH.

But who could think that of a corporation? As we know, they always have the consumers' best interests in mind, and would never resort to making their game in such a way just to make a few lousy bucks.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on June 21, 2012, 10:08:07 AM

*grabs Sabby and pulls him into the woodshed to 'explain' this Okami Re-release*

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on June 21, 2012, 05:53:04 PM
I had enough trouble with a pack of ... the large guys you meet quite early in Act I - unburied corpses or something like that, which were ... Vampiric and reflected damage.

But actually, I already dislike the elite mobs. The only good thing about them is the loot. What I really like is fighting large groups of normal enemies. I think 40 or so is the most I've encountered at once. That's the problem. You meet smaller groups of stronger enemies, and ... you sort of notice how weird the decision to make health globules drop and give pots a significant CD is. I've been playing D2 for the past few days, and having quick access to your potions with no CD doesn't make you invincible. You can only carry so many ( your inventory space being far more limited than in D3 ) and they don't heal you instantly. But they do allow you to stay in the fight. In D3, if you get cornered by a strong enemy and you've used your potion, you have no choice but to kite them around while waiting for the CD. That's ... just plain bad design.

The gold thing is another thing that ties in with the loot thing I complained about earlier. It really is true that a lot of the game is built around the auction house. It's evident in the fact that you don't really earn gold from vendoring items, and the cost of a single potion being, well, as significant as it is. Instead of going out and killing enemies for good loot ( and occasionally gambling ), you go out to kill monsters for regular loot which you use to make your own crafted gear. That makes no sense.

Unless, of course, as a cynical person might suspect, Diablo 3 is nothing but Blizzard's pyramid scheme, based around the idea of getting people to use the RMAH.

But who could think that of a corporation? As we know, they always have the consumers' best interests in mind, and would never resort to making their game in such a way just to make a few lousy bucks.
It's not just a pyramid scheme, it's a pyramid scheme combined with a Skinner box. Not only are they using people to make their money for them, they're trying to create a compulsion akin to gambling.

I've always thought Blizzard were greedy bastards, it's just gotten worse with North shutting down and the unholy union with Activision. Everyone thinks EA's the worse publisher, but I think Activision is worse in spades.

AKunoichi

I am currently play Naval ///ar: Arctic Circle. (yes, that's how they spell it on the box :P )

It's a fun game, detailed and realistic, but not too complex. It can get pretty intense with lots of missiles swarming at you. Unfortunately it's a low budget indy game in need of lots of polish. It can lag a lot, requires micromanaging sometimes, and the graphics are crap. Still fun though.

Bayushi

Quote from: Hemingway on June 21, 2012, 05:53:04 PMBut who could think that of a corporation? As we know, they always have the consumers' best interests in mind, and would never resort to making their game in such a way just to make a few lousy bucks.
As long as Robert Kotick is the CEO of Activision, bending the customer over for their money is the only thing they give a damn about.

Unfortunately, the greed seems to be creeping ever faster into Blizzard. :-(

Sabby

The new Spiderman game is downloading... and just now, someone tells me that the webs connect to the sky. Ya know. Like in Spiderman 1. That feature they dropped the next game and the new web swinging turned out to be fucking awesome and the defining game mechanic of all future Spiderman games, and just unique in general.

I laughed at him. Silly person. Why on Earth would they change that?

I Googled...

Why? Dx Why must they give game development jobs to people with BRAIN DAMAGE?!?!

LaOnomatopoeia

As an (indy) game developer I can answer that -

We all start normal. It's the mind-numbingness of the job that turns us brain dead.

Brandon

Quote from: Sabby on June 22, 2012, 01:17:10 AM
The new Spiderman game is downloading... and just now, someone tells me that the webs connect to the sky. Ya know. Like in Spiderman 1. That feature they dropped the next game and the new web swinging turned out to be fucking awesome and the defining game mechanic of all future Spiderman games, and just unique in general.

I laughed at him. Silly person. Why on Earth would they change that?

I Googled...

Why? Dx Why must they give game development jobs to people with BRAIN DAMAGE?!?!

I keep telling ya Sabby if you want web slinging goodness as break neck speeds you pretty much have to play ultimate spider man. Its the only game, I know of, that does it well
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sabby

Eh, Ultimate was okay... Spiderman 3 felt a lot smoother to me though. More animations connected the moves much more fluidly, and damn it got fast later on! I loved falling almost to street level and at the last second pulling a hard upward right/left swing and releasing it at just the right time to catapult myself into a corkscrew over 6 buildings.

Bayushi

Quote from: Sabby on June 22, 2012, 01:17:10 AMWhy? Dx Why must they give game development jobs to people with BRAIN DAMAGE?!?!
Hey now! >:(

Not everyone with brain damage is stupid/dumb/ignorant or retarded, thank you!

Sabby

Is there a chart of some sort I can refer to? xD