A Good Country to Emigrate To?

Started by IStateYourName, January 01, 2014, 11:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwolf85

I've noticed that a lot of stuff in the US varies by state for example, Texas is very diffrent from California, New England tends to be more socially and economicly progressive than the Dixie States, The Dakotas and the Northwest are also booming while the midwest busts.

I'm wondering if anyone here from the US can tell me about their state or region in case I go looking for a job there.

I'll start with my "region" New England (Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusits, Conneticut)

Pros
-Socially Progressive.
-Low Taxes overall.
-Industrial revival taking place along the coast of Maine, and Southern NH
-Low Corruption, New Englanders don't stand for it.
-Low Crime, it exists, but is rare enough that a home invasion shocks people.
-Dense, three hour drive to cross the whole thing.
-Housing is cheaper in the north, so if you work in boston, and take a bus to NH, you'll do very well.
-If you have a higher education you can probably put it to good work in that sweet spot where NH, Mass, Maine, and Vermont, are all within an hour's drive of each other.
-Education and training programs are easy to come by.
-Low unemployment overall.
-States do not require Federal assistance to take care of their employees.
-Unions Still Exist!
-Good Entertainment.
-Still in The United States.

Cons
-Overpopulation, not as bad as japan mind you, but like I said, Dense.
-Rural mill towns are still lagging behind economicly in Northern NH, and inland maine.
-Ball Clenchingly High Taxes in Conneticut.
-Buracracy, you want decent regulation, you will have to fill out some damn forms and do your paper work.
-Suspicious of outside companies, especally the semi-rural towns.

Special notes:
-Sea food is great, "ethnic food" is bad, only the midwest makes worse.
-Again stay the fuck out of the mill towns if you are looking for work, high unemployment, but if you need well trained workers, they provide an eager pool of recruits for your bussness.
-Most New England towns were ravaged by private corporations when they pulled out in the 80's & 90's, the blue collar jobs left "The Rust Belt" the white collar jobs left New England. They are very careful, sometimes too much so, about outside companies moving in as a result. I list this as a Con, as it's retarded growth, but it can also be a positive, if you are into that.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

alextaylor

Quote from: ValthazarElite on January 14, 2014, 01:07:19 PM
Blacks here in the US don't like being called this word, but not sure how things are there.

I don't quite mean African-American. I mean tall black Africans (Nigeria, Sudan, etc) and people who look African :P "Black" isn't used, because there's a lot more black Indians around here. African-American can be seen as more of an insult, more because "American" is a racial slur among some groups. People are more likely to call a white American "orang putih" (white person) than call them an American.

It's not really a major thing, just subtle racism. Kind of like being Arabian in some parts of the Western world. People will misjudge because of the lack of things in common - religion/skin color/language. But they're fine after a few hours of conversation. You're far worse off being Chinese than Negro in Malaysia.

Quote from: Mistyy on January 17, 2014, 06:40:28 AM
Honestly Malaysia is one of the countries I've been thinking of getting to once I get my masters degree. My country(Finland) isn't bad but I REALLY hate the weather here and somewhat depressing atmosphere(News full of negative things etc..) I really appreciate what this country has given me like free education, student allowance so I don't have to work while I study, and the list goes on. But the feeling of cycling to the university in -20 celsius(-4.0 F) is not a nice one. Is it easy for an European to get a job in Malaysia with a STEM degree from one of the best universities in Europe? Well there's some time for my graduation but I've just been thinking about these things.

Well... thing is that there's a lot of protectionism/nationalism here. I've graduated from a top university but nobody wants to recognize the degree. There's a protectionism on the local degrees. However, you'll find a niche among the more educated people in the country who do graduate from top universities looking for talent.

So basically, while it's not easy to get a job with a degree like that, once you do, you'll be able to climb to the top very fast. I'd suggest maybe getting a couple years experience in your own country. I'd say about 90% of the jobs here expect at least a year's experience, but that's probably the case in every other country.

Oh, the weather here is definitely good. The news here is even more depressing though - every evening, the news channels just slanders the opposition party. But that's just brought up a lot of good alternative media. I've lived in the US, Australia, Saudi Arabia and I honestly don't think there's any media or politics which isn't depressing.
O/O

Valthazar

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on January 17, 2014, 04:43:23 PMCons

Haha geez you guys seem to really hate our country.  But good thing it's a pro also!

Rinzler

I don't recommend England. There's lots of dogshit about, and in some areas - like mine - you have a fortnightly garbage collection which means that the place is overflowing with maggots and stinks to high heaven during summer. Most town centres are no-go areas after dark owing to the violence incurred by the copious amounts of alcohol the natives swill down in the evening to blot out the misery of day-to-day life. True, there's free healthcare, which is a good thing, even though the ruling Tories have made it all but clear they're determined to sell as much as they can get away with to private interests. Pretty much all infrastructure is in private hands, in fact, leading to the peculiar situation that your gas supplier can supply your electricity, and vice-versa. It also means you are plagued with cold calls from various suppliers trying to get you to switch over to them; it also means that though the Tories are adamant that the state should own as few utilities as possible, my local water supplier is actually part owned by a corporation which has received heavy investment from the Chinese government. Go figure. The weather here is just fucking stupid - trust me, the variety will soon lose its charm to any naive newbie visitor. Pissing down, damp and cold in the winter; stinking, humid and frequently pissing down in the Summer. All other countries hate us here, cos our ancestors plundered and pillaged theirs. In fact, thievery is rife here - you can't leave anything alone unless it's nailed down, which probably goes some way to explaining the British Empire: we Limeys in particular were so fond of nicking stuff, we actually used to nick other peoples' countries. Oh, did I mention the dogshit? Fuckin everywhere. Also - overcrowded, noisy towns and cities; you'll rarely have a day go by when you don't hear someone bellowing some obscenity to someone else, nor even have a moment of peace that isn't interrupted by some berk outside whizzing about on one of those grating 'NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA' mopeds that's had the exhaust restrictors taken off. Why do they take the restrictors off? Frig knows - it's either to be deliberately irritating, or in the case of one person I knew of, to make the moped sound like a Harley Davidson. Seriously. That's another thing you'll find in England - many, many people here are just as thick as pigshit. In short - it's a tiresome, annoying, noisy place, and you're probably better off where you are unless you're a masochist.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: DeMalachine on January 25, 2014, 05:28:10 PM
I don't recommend England. There's lots of dogshit about, and in some areas - like mine - you have a fortnightly garbage collection which means that the place is overflowing with maggots and stinks to high heaven during summer. Most town centres are no-go areas after dark owing to the violence incurred by the copious amounts of alcohol the natives swill down in the evening to blot out the misery of day-to-day life. True, there's free healthcare, which is a good thing, even though the ruling Tories have made it all but clear they're determined to sell as much as they can get away with to private interests. Pretty much all infrastructure is in private hands, in fact, leading to the peculiar situation that your gas supplier can supply your electricity, and vice-versa. It also means you are plagued with cold calls from various suppliers trying to get you to switch over to them; it also means that though the Tories are adamant that the state should own as few utilities as possible, my local water supplier is actually part owned by a corporation which has received heavy investment from the Chinese government. Go figure. The weather here is just fucking stupid - trust me, the variety will soon lose its charm to any naive newbie visitor. Pissing down, damp and cold in the winter; stinking, humid and frequently pissing down in the Summer. All other countries hate us here, cos our ancestors plundered and pillaged theirs. In fact, thievery is rife here - you can't leave anything alone unless it's nailed down, which probably goes some way to explaining the British Empire: we Limeys in particular were so fond of nicking stuff, we actually used to nick other peoples' countries. Oh, did I mention the dogshit? Fuckin everywhere. Also - overcrowded, noisy towns and cities; you'll rarely have a day go by when you don't hear someone bellowing some obscenity to someone else, nor even have a moment of peace that isn't interrupted by some berk outside whizzing about on one of those grating 'NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA' mopeds that's had the exhaust restrictors taken off. Why do they take the restrictors off? Frig knows - it's either to be deliberately irritating, or in the case of one person I knew of, to make the moped sound like a Harley Davidson. Seriously. That's another thing you'll find in England - many, many people here are just as thick as pigshit. In short - it's a tiresome, annoying, noisy place, and you're probably better off where you are unless you're a masochist.

So this is what's behind the 'stiff upper lip'? ;D

Oniya

Why am I suddenly tempted to write a take-off on Dorothy Parker's Requiem?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Rinzler

Quote from: TheGlyphstone
So this is what's behind the 'stiff upper lip'? ;D

It's a blank, rigid mask to hide the despair, mate. Trust me.

Oniya

Quote from: DeMalachine on January 25, 2014, 05:35:42 PM
It's a blank, rigid mask to hide the despair, mate. Trust me.

Hanging on in quiet desperation
Is the English way
The time is done, the song is over
Thought I'd something more to say...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Rinzler

Quote from: Oniya on January 25, 2014, 05:37:01 PM
Hanging on in quiet desperation
Is the English way
The time is done, the song is over
Thought I'd something more to say...

Talk about football, go to the pub,
Doghsit in puddles, my mood is lank,
Switch on the telly, but there's sod-all on,
So it's a cup of grey tea and a half-hearted wank.

DeMalachine: Life in England

Kythia

Ah, come on now.  The UK isn't bad at all.  Sure, there are some shit bits but with any luck we'll be getting rid of them later this year.  Man, I wish I could vote in that referendum.

Rinzler

Quote from: Kythia on January 25, 2014, 08:00:12 PM
Ah, come on now.  The UK isn't bad at all.  Sure, there are some shit bits but with any luck we'll be getting rid of them later this year.  Man, I wish I could vote in that referendum.

What, the one the Sweaties are having?

I think it's wrong to blame any ethnic group for a countries ills - frankly, England would still be shit even if we did get rid of the Scots. :-P

Kythia

"The inhabitants of Scotland" aren't an ethnic group.

Rinzler

Quote from: Kythia on January 26, 2014, 09:15:04 AM
"The inhabitants of Scotland" aren't an ethnic group.

They are when they're living in England.

Kythia

*shrug*  Some would say the inhabitants of Scotland are, by definition, not living in England.

Rinzler

Quote from: Kythia on January 26, 2014, 09:34:18 AM
*shrug*  Some would say the inhabitants of Scotland are, by definition, not living in England.

But I wasn't referring to the 'inhabitants of Scotland', but those of Scottish ethnicity.

Caeli

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on January 17, 2014, 04:43:23 PMI've noticed that a lot of stuff in the US varies by state for example, Texas is very diffrent from California, New England tends to be more socially and economicly progressive than the Dixie States, The Dakotas and the Northwest are also booming while the midwest busts.

I'm wondering if anyone here from the US can tell me about their state or region in case I go looking for a job there.

I would actually say that different areas of California can be very, very different from other areas of California - the Sacramento region vs. the SF Bay Area vs. Southern California (and I have heard that even in SoCal, there is a world of difference between the Los Angeles area vs. San Diego county) vs. everywhere else.  Please keep in mind that these are the only areas that I'm familiar with, given where I grew up and went to college, and where some of my closer friends are from.

Where you tend to end up / move to / look for jobs can be somewhat dependent on your career/industry.  For example, if you're looking to move up and onwards in IT / software engineering or want to work in a start-up, you're going to want to move to the SF Bay Area, though one potentially large con is the cost of living, especially real estate (don't ask me why the south bay was excluded in this article - I asked myself the same question).  What kind of work do you do / hope to do?
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Vonandi

I think someone already mentioned it but Sweden, Norway and the like are top in equality, working conditions, anti-censorship and a bunch of other things. I assume the grass is indeed always greener on the other side, but I'd love to move there regardless.

kylie

The Guardian managed to find a little dirt from Scandinavia even... 

Not sure I'd take it as enough reason to stop me, though....  If I could somehow afford to live there.

eiselmann

Well I'll do a brief on my country

New Zealand.

Pro's

English speaking, thou we do speak as a rule quicker than American's  but once you pick up the accent it should be all good
On of the top three least corrupted nations on the planet
Many Americans talk about freedom as if they own the word , well New Zealand is also a 'free' country, one of many.
We have a strong middle class, so while we have very rich and very poor most people live in the pretty financially comfortable area.
Culturally diverse  , while still predominately European (still part of the British Commonwealth) Maori culture is undergoing a revival and we have a large Asian/Pacific Island communities
Inter-racial relationships are common place ...yes there is racism here and all races are guilty of it, for the most part people don't even factor it in when deciding things like friends and partners.
Its New Zealand
Beaches everywhere mountains clean lakes , rivers ,heck we even have a desert.
The wildlife won't kill you ...thou you'll love weta's (lol)  and kea's in the southern part of the south island will destroy your car.
English common Law ...very strict Judicial and Police independence form political interference....a member of Parliament just resigned his ministerial post because he applied undue pressure on a police investigation.

Con's

Some of this may be pros for you

A deep welfare system..
Health , you can go private but for residents/citizens we have free health care
We are very much to the left of the US political system, are government at the moment is a center-right (very popular Prime minister) coalition that would still be to the left of many of the Democratic Party policies......election coming up end of year due to vagaries of our electoral system it is possible that the most popular government we have ever had will be replaced by the Labour-Green-NZ first -Mana (or some combination thereof) if that happens expect a gigantic lurch to the left....so be aware

There is a degree of anti Americanism out there, not the American's themselves but of its foreign policies, some of its reactionary and is deeply ingrained into the left of the country...elsewise its more a despair that America uses the sledgehammer effect for every decision (not going to buy into an argument on this guys....)
Low wage economy.......if you come here to live and then decide to go back home you almost certainly won't be in as strong financial situation as you were.

Travel to anywhere else...sure we have Aussie across the ditch and pacific islands nearby but for some reason American's think flying here (12 hours from LA) take forever....mate we kiwis when we do our OE which is invariable to England fly for 24 hours.
260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=254364.0

Neysha

That's unfair.  Who wouldn't want to go to Middle Earth.
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

ThePrince

Quote from: Neysha on May 05, 2014, 08:49:18 AM
That's unfair.  Who wouldn't want to go to Middle Earth.

Its important to emigrate to countries (and universes) that have at lest a basic understanding of immunization.

Also polio, want to make sure they don't have polio.

RP Request Thread
O/O's
I am what I am. I am my own special creation.
So come take a look, Give me the hook or the ovation.
It's my world that I want to have a little pride in.
It's my world and it's not a place I have to hide in.
Life ain't worth a dam till you can say I am what I am.

kylie

Quote from: eiselmann on May 04, 2014, 11:28:55 PM

Health , you can go private but for residents/citizens we have free health care

I was curious just how this works, as getting residency in some countries is rather unlikely for many of us, except those who have large bank accounts or very expensive skill sets.  If I understand this page correctly, you only need to establish a home in New Zealand and actually reside there for 184/365 days in two consecutive years.  Which for most people would probably boil down to living there for two years; not everyone can afford to fly away and live elsewhere for the rest. 

But IF it is not too difficult to be considered "having a home" there (can you just rent?  will the average landlord take a foreigner?) ...  Then this seems like it might be generous.  Though by no means instantaneous...  If you're going for the healthcare, you're going to need quite some time to get it.  I'm not sure if private coverage is much cheaper there, though. 

...  With one caveat that if you have a partner (see very bottom of this page), they have to establish residency on their own -- they cannot invoke yours to get most health benefits for themselves, as they might in some other places.

Hemingway

Since someone mentioned dirt on Scandinavia, I'd thought I'd take a look at what's said about Norway, and see if it's true.

I'm not sure why any of the points raised would make you not want to live in Norway, as they're more national than individual concerns, but I feltl ike writing, so here are my thoughts.

QuoteThe dignity and resolve of the Norwegian people in the wake of the attacks by Anders Behring Breivik in July 2011 was deeply impressive, but in September the rightwing, anti-Islamist Progress party – of which Breivik had been an active member for many years – won 16.3% of the vote in the general election, enough to elevate it into coalition government for the first time in its history. There remains a disturbing Islamophobic sub-subculture in Norway. Ask the Danes, and they will tell you that the Norwegians are the most insular and xenophobic of all the Scandinavians, and it is true that since they came into a bit of money in the 1970s the Norwegians have become increasingly Scrooge-like, hoarding their gold, fearful of outsiders.

The party in question has actually declined considerable since the election, after having broken nearly every promise they made. Which is not at all surprising when some of the promises they made were actually impossible for them to keep. The social-democratic Labour Party remains the country's largest party. While it is true that certain segments of Norwegian politics are anti-immigrant and anti-Islamic, rest assured they're a minority, and are called on their lies every time. The Progress Party remains a significant party, but there's a significant distance between their base, and the rest of the population. To suggest that their stances reflect the stances of the overall population, is more than a stretch. Consider also that what is called the left in the US, is basically right-of-center in Norway. The Progress Party is right-wing by Norwegian standards, but they're probably closer to the political center than even the Republican party in the US.

QuoteThough 2013 saw a record number of asylum applications to Norway, it granted asylum to fewer than half of them (around 5,000 people), a third of the number that less wealthy Sweden admits (Sweden accepted over 9,000 from Syria alone). In his book Petromania, journalist Simon Sætre warns that the powerful oil lobby is "isolating us and making the country asocial". According to him, his countrymen have been corrupted by their oil money, are working less, retiring earlier, and calling in sick more frequently. And while previous governments have controlled the spending of oil revenues, the new bunch are threatening a splurge which many warn could lead to full-blown Dutch disease.

The first part of this is entirely true, unfortunately.

The latter part, I'm not so sure about. First of all, while the government we elected last year promised tax cuts and reductions in the number of toll roads. What happened? Why, the exact opposite. Because, I suspect, it's easier to make promises like that when you're not trying to balance a real budget. The quote above notes that previous governments have controlled the spending of oil revenues, but doesn't mention that the guidelines for how oil revenues should be managed have been agreed to by all parties except the Progress Party, who control only a small minority of the government. Spending is very unlikely to increase dramatically, as I like to think our politicians are savvy enough to realize what this would mean. But, more on that next.

QuoteLike the dealer who never touches his own supply, those dirty frackers the Norwegians boast of using only renewable energy sources, all the while amassing the world's largest sovereign wealth fund selling fossil fuels to the rest of us. As Norwegian anthropologist Thomas Hylland Eriksen put it to me when I visited his office in Oslo University: "We've always been used to thinking of ourselves as part of the solution, and with the oil we suddenly became part of the problem. Most people are really in denial."

What Hylland Eriksen - probably our most prominent political commentator - says, is true. It's absolutely true that Norway gets most of its energy from renewable sources, while at the same time we peddle our oil to others. It's a massive problem, and it's one, I think, the country will have to come to terms with quite soon. Because of our dependence on oil revenues, we are lagging in many other areas. Notably, Norway is, I believe, the slowest innovator in Scandinavia - and the only field where we're good at innovating, is oil.

I do believe people are waking up to this. The Green Party, who I believe propose shutting down the petroleum industry entirely, are small, but growing. I doubt they'll have the political power necessary to fulfill that goal before we're forced to transition away from oil for other reasons, but it does, I hope, reflect a growing awareness among the population that there is a problem.

TheWizardofOz

Since I live here and have for most of my life, here's Australia for you:

Pros - a democratic society, freedom of speech  and religion, an indiginous people with a rich history and culture, a stunning and varied landscape, good quality of living, Decent health, education, social services, weather, Great sporting culture.

Cons - the biggest con that stand out to me is our isolation